• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 15, 2019
Ok, you guys may get this question quite often. But how much variety is there in terms of combat.

Like obviously I get that in Destiny 2 there's a much bigger focus on balance. But for example in Borderlands 3 you can run around just throwing nades with Moze or meleeing things with Amara and it pretty much works even in the lategame. Is there variety like this in Destiny 2 or is it pretty much exclusively a shoot shoot thing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, you guys may get this question quite often. But how much variety is there in terms of combat.

Like obviously I get that in Destiny 2 there's a much bigger focus on balance. But for example in Borderlands 3 you can run around just throwing nades with Moze or meleeing things with Amara and it pretty much works even in the lategame. Is there variety like this in Destiny 2 or is it pretty much exclusively a shoot shoot thing.

Armor 2.0 seems to be an attempt to flesh out certain play styles. As to whether it does it well we shall see.

In D2's current state, it doesn't hold a candle to BL3.

Dec 6, 2017

They're pushing the different builds pretty hard now, but in the end, it'll be about the guns and their dps output. Having said that, there's some fun melee/gernade builds out there.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

There are some gimmick builds but you're going to need your guns.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys guys what if the Darkness can make darkness Ghosts.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What if the darkness is just a bunch of evil little ghosts inside a giant construct.

It would be like Jak 3 with those squirrels.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019

I mostly main a Hunter, and I have a subclass ability that allows me to throw 3 flaming throwing knives at once. If the knives connect for a kill it makes the cooldown shorter. Once you're fully buffed the cooldown is so fast that you can run through a mission throwing flaming knives left and right that melt people. I can only imagine that with the new systems in Shadowkeep that more unique playstyles will emerge. You defintely utilize a good mix of gunning, melee, and class abilities. I for one love dealing weapon DPS so I wear a piece of armor that reloads all my weapons at once when I do a dodge which is great for dealing tons of damage.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I drift away from Destiny every year after a few months of playing, thinking that might be it for my time with the game.

Then September comes around...

Really looking forward to this!

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Bungie really doubling down on the "gunshot in time with the musical beats" trope in this trailer. A lesser trailer would use that once or maybe twice in its course as an accent for a particularly stirring scene, but Bungies says "fuck it, this is a Guitar Hero game now"

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Borderlands and Destiny are fundamentally very different in their philosophies.

Borderlands is more about loot gratification and a small but deep pool of abilities. It thrives on chaos and mayhem unrestricted by the tarrifs of pvp multiplayer.

Destiny is a more balanced approach with emphasis on special curation of a particular style and weapon. Destiny asks you to find something special you found out in the world, make it awesome and take it everywhere to dominate.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
Any links to some good guides for someone looking to get into destiny? Which version to buy etc..

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Armor 2.0 seems to be an attempt to flesh out certain play styles. As to whether it does it well we shall see.

It helps that Destiny's shooting and general combat is miles ahead in pretty much every other way, though.

Any links to some good guides for someone looking to get into destiny? Which version to buy etc..
Forsaken (standard version).
Shadowkeep.

That's all you need to buy right now.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
They usually make good trailers. This wasn't one of those times though. Everything about the game feels so tired, and it's not helped by the fact that now their yearly expansion is based around regurgitating the same content that was in year 1, modified. Bungie desperately needs new leadership. Luke was always a mistake.

Feb 15, 2019

They're pushing the different builds pretty hard now, but in the end, it'll be about the guns and their dps output. Having said that, there's some fun melee/gernade builds out there.
There are some gimmick builds but you're going to need your guns.
I mostly main a Hunter, and I have a subclass ability that allows me to throw 3 flaming throwing knives at once. If the knives connect for a kill it makes the cooldown shorter. Once you're fully buffed the cooldown is so fast that you can run through a mission throwing flaming knives left and right that melt people. I can only imagine that with the new systems in Shadowkeep that more unique playstyles will emerge. You defintely utilize a good mix of gunning, melee, and class abilities. I for one love dealing weapon DPS so I wear a piece of armor that reloads all my weapons at once when I do a dodge which is great for dealing tons of damage.
Borderlands and Destiny are fundamentally very different in their philosophies.

Borderlands is more about loot gratification and a small but deep pool of abilities. It thrives on chaos and mayhem unrestricted by the tarrifs of pvp multiplayer.

Destiny is a more balanced approach with emphasis on special curation of a particular style and weapon. Destiny asks you to find something special you found out in the world, make it awesome and take it everywhere to dominate.

Thanks for the replies folks. It seems while obviously a purely non gun build is not gonna happen. Some more mixed builds where you have a bit of both could work and might even be further expanded on in Shadowkeep. That's promising and I'll definitely keep my eye out then.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They usually make good trailers. This wasn't one of those times though. Everything about the game feels so tired, and it's not helped by the fact that now their yearly expansion is based around regurgitating the same content that was in year 1, modified. Bungie desperately needs new leadership. Luke was always a mistake.
Lol what

Fist of all, year 1 was 5 years ago, people acting like it was just yesterday. It was 4 expansions, 7 raids and 4 dlc's ago.
Look up in the sky the moon is still there
It's been there. If we gave up a whole planet to the Hive this close to earth I would want to know what is happening up there too.

Also, show me another Dev that is as open as Luke is about their game.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Also, show me another Dev that is as open as Luke is about their game.
Show me another dev who stupidly mocked their gamers by insisting his microtransactions were so amazing gamers would be throwing money at the screen. And for the record, there's boatloads of devs who are open about their games. You living under a rock?

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies folks. It seems while obviously a purely non gun build is not gonna happen. Some more mixed builds where you have a bit of both could work and might even be further expanded on in Shadowkeep. That's promising and I'll definitely keep my eye out then.
Just give it a shot. You have literally nothing to lose now that it's free to play. Worst case, you lose a couple hours to trying something new

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Show me another dev who stupidly mocked their gamers by insisting his microtransactions were so amazing gamers would be throwing money at the screen. And for the record, there's boatloads of devs who are open about their games. You living under a rock?

A few devs have mentioned being impressed with Luke Smith's director's cut. It's certainly rare to see a manifesto of that level coming from a single dev regarding their game within the industry.

Smith has fucked up at times, but he has also done good for the franchise. I see little reason to waste energy vilifying this single individual.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France

You don't make any sense. He had to talk about microtransactions because it's expected. He did his best to sell them, because it's his fucking job as game director. Do you expect him to just say "well guys, they are shit, just buy them"?

And no, there are a shitload of devs who talk about their games but not as many that comes when the community says the game is not in a good place and says "yeah, you're right", especially when it's a game supposed to run for years and years. Watch what happened with Battlefront 2 or Anthem. Or what happens right now with WoW (not the classic version). It's easier to blame the community or just dodge the question. It didn't happen for Destiny 2, from year 1 they decided to completely revamp the core of the game and they still do it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Point me to another company where the devs writes huge ass directors cuts about the game and where it's going.

I don't know what you're talking about with that first sentence but I can think of a console maker that said we would get a second job to get their system. Fast forward + 5 years after that foot in the mouth statement and they were forgiven (and rebounded tremendously ) so not sure why whatever your talking about above can't be forgiven? Not sure why it's so cut and dry with you unless you have been the one living under a rock the past two months.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Destiny is by far the best thing this gen for me.

It got me back into gaming after a decade long break and I've played it almost daily since day 1.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Man, great fucking trailer. They nailed showing the over the top fun shenanigans of Destiny. I'm hyped.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie really doubling down on the "gunshot in time with the musical beats" trope in this trailer. A lesser trailer would use that once or maybe twice in its course as an accent for a particularly stirring scene, but Bungies says "fuck it, this is a Guitar Hero game now"

I love this trope. They can keep revisiting it as much as they want.

Feb 15, 2019
Just give it a shot. You have literally nothing to lose now that it's free to play. Worst case, you lose a couple hours to trying something new

It was more of a time thing. I assumed the game would be decently long with all the expansion and content that keeps getting added. And I also assumed that getting to a part where you have enough stuff to actually get a build would take long. So I just wanted to know if it was possible to not have to completely rely on guns except for when you use your special skill thingy (idk what it's called). And it seems like it's possible at least so I'll probably try and convince a couple of my buddies to start playing it with me when Shadowkeep drops.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything about the game feels so tired, and it's not helped by the fact that now their yearly expansion is based around regurgitating the same content that was in year 1, modified.

I'm not sure this is quite fair. The Moon was originally released in Destiny 1 five years ago now, and this version to be released is allegedly twice the size.

Half of Pokemon Gold and Silver took place in Kanto, with a few new twists, and that was cool as shit. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be the same.

Click

Nov 22, 2017
Haven't been hyped for an expansion in a long time!! Let's go let's go. Preloading now, too bad it requires a full redownload

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Trailer shows Trial armor

giphy.gif