• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Its not really about buying Destiny - it's just a bonus.

I bet this was really about having 'Matter' as a PS exclusive.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
NateDrake said in 2020 that Bungie wanted to be like Mojang if they were bought by MS. That meant PS releases for all future titles.

Bidding war makes sense as to why almost double the price of what was said in 2020.

Bungie wanted in the area of $2bn and to retain independence similar to Mojang.

Oct 28, 2017
I can see them purchasing a support studio for Bungie because it's hard to deny Destiny 2 was better as far as content under Activision with Vicarious Visions

Nope. Bungie still have ownership of Destiny publishing. Why would Sony buy a whole studio to support an IP that a company wholly owns by themselves? Without knowledge of the full deal its hard to say, Bungie could be keeping all Destiny-borne cash for themselves.

The amount of content we get right now is fine and I've no interest in Destiny going back to what it was at in the first year of 2. Multiple studios submitting code, leading to a spaghetti hell that Bungie have to untangle one day.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I couldn't do it solo. I could comfortably get to the final boss on the Moon/Hive one, but just couldn't finish it off. We could probably get a group together to do some runs, because I bet we're not the only ones missing that challenge still.

Yeah, getting together a group to run it would probably be fine. It's the solo challenge that I think I'm going to give up on after just a couple hours.

There's not even a reward for it, as far as I can tell, other than a few triumph points. So like... why even bother? Having to juggle not only elemental shields but champions on top of that and skreebs coming at you with no radar just isn't fun and apparently isn't even rewarding lol

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
There is no way you can possibly do that with your hands naturally on a controller. I don't care how flexible cracked up your fingers are. I'm starting to see a lot of that lately. Like their mobility is at 20 or something.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Have you seen what people do with controllers in speedrunning/fighting games?

Movement in fighting games aren't comparable to FPSs. Especially nowadays where every iteration seems to be slower than the last. SFV is slower than SFIV, Strive slower than Xrd, none of the new Smashes are even remotely as fast as melee, etc.
I've played Destiny long enough to know when something is not normal. All of a sudden all these people on console having movements like pros on PC. I didn't notice it this much until this season, within the last few weeks. I watch a lot of the pros on controller, like Pure and Jake and they are moving even faster than them and not as skilled, so something is off.

Oct 28, 2017
Movement in fighting games aren't comparable to FPSs. Especially nowadays where every iteration seems to be slower than the last. SFV is slower than SFIV, Strive slower than Xrd, none of the new Smashes are even remotely as fast as melee, etc.
I've played Destiny long enough to know when something is not normal. All of a sudden all these people on console having movements like pros on PC. I didn't notice it this much until this season, within the last few weeks. I watch a lot of the pros on controller, like Pure and Jake and they are moving even faster than them and not as skilled, so something is off.

Fighting games are absolutely not being dumbed down across the board. People still get RSI playing modern Smash, SF5 is absolutely not slower than SF4 (which already felt clunky and slow as hell for movement speeds on launch), Strive might be "slower" but still has complexity for inputs, quick reactions on cancels, meter usage etc.

This is also just pure conjecture without posting evidence of these players doing "impossible" movements.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Nope. Bungie still have ownership of Destiny publishing. Why would Sony buy a whole studio to support an IP that a company wholly owns by themselves? Without knowledge of the full deal its hard to say, Bungie could be keeping all Destiny-borne cash for themselves.

The amount of content we get right now is fine and I've no interest in Destiny going back to what it was at in the first year of 2. Multiple studios submitting code, leading to a spaghetti hell that Bungie have to untangle one day.
Disagree with having enough content pvp needs a lot more maps and don't get me started on gambit but pve is in a pretty good state....they've already stated they're on a hiring spree because of Sony so yeah I'm a bit confused with your first paragraph ....at any rate, this is great moving forward for all players of Destiny and whatever new IP they have in the future.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't do it solo. I could comfortably get to the final boss on the Moon/Hive one, but just couldn't finish it off. We could probably get a group together to do some runs, because I bet we're not the only ones missing that challenge still.
The Forest of Echoes one was the easiest to do solo for me (the one with a corrupted Techeun as final boss, and Eliksni enemies). I used a Void warlock with Axion Bolts, Arbalest (to negate elemental shields), a Void bow (there are more Void shielded enemies than anything else), and the Corsair's Wrath LFR (only because it's Solar). As for exotic armor, I put on The Stag, since it gives you a lot more resistance when you are in a well, and accelerates your well recharge when you are at critical health. Mod-wise, I was using Taking Charge, Shield Break Charge and Protective Light.
It wasn't super easy, but most rooms were manageable (had to weave in and out of the first fight that takes place in the church, but that was the most hectic one). I'd tried the Moon/Hive one, but the end boss gets too crazy for me.

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree with having enough content pvp needs a lot more maps and don't get me started on gambit but pve is in a pretty good state....they've already stated they're on a hiring spree because of Sony so yeah I'm a bit confused with your first paragraph ....at any rate, this is great moving forward for all players of Destiny and whatever new IP they have in the future.

They've been on a hiring spree even before Sony began talking to them. This buyout is clearly the result of Bungie shopping Matter around to various publishers for support, and Sony sees enough potential in it to buy in. Sony knows that the Destiny partnership paid off in the past, so why not slide them some cash now to ensure the long term profit of exclusivity of Bungie content on things like PS Now, or other Sony services. They won't stop Bungie publishing the games on other platforms, as Bungie have said, but Sony can do other things to profit from the deal. This is besides the gains in Bungie's expertise in management of service games and other stuff.

Regarding Destiny, Bungie state they still have total ownership of that, rights and all. This was probably a clause from Bungie's end, so they don't have to do a buyback in the event of a split, like what happened with Activision.

And at the crux, imagine you're Sony, giving Bungie cash to work on things the deal was done for originally, like Matter. Bungie then start to funnel the cash towards Destiny, and the products you originally eyed begin to "suffer" in quality compared to your expectations. You really think there won't be some sort of chagrin in this kind of situation?

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
They've been on a hiring spree even before Sony began talking to them. This buyout is clearly the result of Bungie shopping Matter around to various publishers for support, and Sony sees enough potential in it to buy in. Sony knows that the Destiny partnership paid off in the past, so why not slide them some cash now to ensure the long term profit of exclusivity of Bungie content on things like PS Now, or other Sony services. They won't stop Bungie publishing the games on other platforms, as Bungie have said, but Sony can do other things to profit from the deal. This is besides the gains in Bungie's expertise in management of service games and other stuff.

Regarding Destiny, Bungie state they still have total ownership of that, rights and all. This was probably a clause from Bungie's end, so they don't have to do a buyback in the event of a split, like what happened with Activision.

And at the crux, imagine you're Sony, giving Bungie cash to work on things the deal was done for originally, like Matter. Bungie then start to funnel the cash towards Destiny, and the products you originally eyed begin to "suffer" in quality compared to your expectations. You really think there won't be some sort of chagrin in this kind of situation?
Great post

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Fighting games are absolutely not being dumbed down across the board. People still get RSI playing modern Smash, SF5 is absolutely not slower than SF4 (which already felt clunky and slow as hell for movement speeds on launch), Strive might be "slower" but still has complexity for inputs, quick reactions on cancels, meter usage etc.

This is also just pure conjecture without posting evidence of these players doing "impossible" movements.

Neo and other people can tell you how great I am in SFIV in particular. I don't play SFV because it's slower and various other factors. And by slower I'm not about execution which is a different matter. Melee is already said to be the fastest Smash, not even debatable, same goes for other games I mentioned. Only series you can argue is Marvel. MVC3 started off slower but people figuring out stuff and Xfactor makes it on par with MVC2, Infinite is definitely slower than the previous two. GG, both Xrd and Strive, is a hell of a lot slower than the old school games. Point still stands.
I still stand by my statement people doing impossible movements, almost as if there is infinite cancelling. I don't know what the hell you are thinking bringing speed running into all of this when that factors in literally thousands of games and practically all genre.
Oh and since according to you it seems to be a normal thing show me how to do this wavedashing I'm seeing in Destiny. I honestly want to learn so I can keep up with those doing it. I know it may be a possible thing with KBM but I have yet to see an actual controller user doing it.

Oct 28, 2017
Neo and other people can tell you how great I am in SFIV in particular. I don't play SFV because it's slower and various other factors. And by slower I'm not about execution which is a different matter. Melee is already said to be the fastest Smash, not even debatable, same goes for other games I mentioned. Only series you can argue is Marvel. MVC3 started off slower but people figuring out stuff and Xfactor makes it on par with MVC2, Infinite is definitely slower than the previous two. GG, both Xrd and Strive, is a hell of a lot slower than the old school games. Point still stands.
I still stand by my statement people doing impossible movements, almost as if there is infinite cancelling. I don't know what the hell you are thinking bringing speed running into all of this when that factors in literally thousands of games and practically all genre.

You're the one talking out of their hoop about how people can't possibly be doing fast inputs on a controller when there's plenty of speedrunning that involves ridiculous execution out there.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
What does people doing crazy inputs in other games have to do with people doing unnatural movements in Destiny with a controller? Did I ask a question about other games? I'm asking a question, two people answered it and you went to another dimension bringing unrelated games into this. LOL. Hey can somebody tell me why that Honda Civic is doing 360s and going 0-60 in 2 secs and then someone comes and says do you see how fast horses can move? LOL.

Oct 28, 2017
What does people doing crazy inputs in other games have to do with people doing unnatural movements in Destiny with a controller? Did I ask a question about other games? I'm asking a question, two people answered it and you went to another dimension bringing unrelated games into this. LOL. Hey can somebody tell me why that Honda Civic is doing 360s and going 0-60 in 2 secs and then someone comes and says do you see how fast horses can move? LOL.

Here, I'll make it obvious for you. I'm having stronger doubts about your ability to see players with their unnatural movement if you can't even read your own posts.

There is no way you can possibly do that with your hands naturally on a controller. I don't care how flexible cracked up your fingers are. I'm starting to see a lot of that lately. Like their mobility is at 20 or something.

Then I replied with the following:

Have you seen what people do with controllers in speedrunning/fighting games?

If you fail to see the link here, you need reading comprehension classes. You can definitely do crazy stuff on a controller, input-wise, and Destiny is famously a game with bad networking where wacky stuff is constantly happening. Maybe its not your eyes that are the problem, could also be your internet. Get that checked too.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
It is you who can't seem to understand. We're just going in circles. Neo and Hunter already said what it possibly be. Instead you're like nuh uh, other games you can move fast too, oh and you need your eyes check and your internet is garbage that's why. Even though I have superb vision and top tier net.

Oct 28, 2017
Good way to get put on my ignore list, I guess.

Anyways, seasonal story wrapping up with this reset, or are we really gonna have to wait until the final week? Also curious if there'll be any seasonal swap-over event, though we know that kind of stuff isn't popular with the community because they don't want to miss out, and they're generally error code heaven.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
I uhh probably shouldn't have chosen the gambit version of the adored quest...any snipers good for gambit?

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
Can't you just abandon the quest and pick an easier choice like vanguard?
I sure could do that but half my armor has gambit branding and I stubbornly want the gambit ornament for adored to match. I may have overreacted in my previous post cause I'm starting to get used to double special and it's not as bad as I thought!

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Looks like the new season may be Cabal themed? Snipped from the exotics trailer:

unknown.png

unknown.png

ffframe

alt account
Banned
Nov 29, 2021
I gotta reset my Gambit and Vanguard ranks twice to get the ornaments? Fuck my whole life

I thought I only had to do it once because my dumb ass saw Ascendancy in the little reward lineup, thinking that was the ornament.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
bah, no new mission today. they really making everyone wait. lol
Saint-14 probably got lost on his way to the ritual(or whatever they're calling what they're planning to do to Savathun) and they're still trying to find him, almost 3 months later.

Really wonder what they're planning to do with Crow, they haven't shown him in any WQ's media. I guess he's gonna be mostly a season's character like in Beyond Light.

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We finally have info on crafting

Weapon crafting starts with a pattern, which can be used to create the initial form of a given weapon. Using that weapon in combat gains levels that enable you to further tweak its capabilities, from intrinsic properties like a ranged or handling increase, to magazine attributes and other more consequential adjustments. Eventually, you'll be able to alter its core traits and perks, like Rampage or Killing Wind. You're also gathering crafting resources, both through distinct sources out in the game world, as well as by dismantling other weapons. Optional consumable mementos even let you unlock cosmetic changes to your weapons.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also they say the legendary version of the campaign will scale depending on how many players you have, which I think is the first time they've ever done that for any activity

Status
Not open for further replies.