• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Do I need to watch any tutorials? Or is the new season content pretty self explanatory?

I was wanting to finally get started tonight.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Do I need to watch any tutorials? Or is the new season content pretty self explanatory?

I was wanting to finally get started tonight.
The opening quest guides you through the new activity (which itself is very straightforward) and how to focus umbral engrams with this season's activity loop. I found some of it a little confusing at first but you shouldn't need to watch anything.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The story already has more story than the last season in the first 5 min. I already enjoyed what I saw of Helm and Crow looks badass. Please don't kill off Caiatl and have her join us instead. We are gonna die eventually when the pyramids fuck us up and I think it's pointless fighting more cabal. Fucking Zavala man.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Last seasons Trials gear is dropping with a new powercap.

L
O
L

It's just increasingly hard to care about grinding for guns AND armor knowing shit gets eclipsed in 3 months - like all the Vendor gear. It's already dropping at the new powercap....

Like yeah I can go try my luck at a Messenger, but knowing next season will have it again at an increased light cap is just... ugh

Fathead

Oct 31, 2017
In the strike playlist, it has put the wife and I into hallowed lair twice in a row, both times it put us into the strike but never kicked it off with the voice over and you can't progress the strike.

WTF

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Got the new trials pulse with outlaw and one for all. One of my teammates got the redrix variant, with outlaw and desperado. It friggin shreds, and I'm going to try my luck again on my alts.

If one month ago you told me I'd be playing trials...

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
the new ordeal can give you your 100k points for the pinnacle easy. Do it on the 2nd difficulty and you can easily get this done without hunting for a group.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
In the strike playlist, it has put the wife and I into hallowed lair twice in a row, both times it put us into the strike but never kicked it off with the voice over and you can't progress the strike.

WTF
Hollowed Lair is bugged right now. After finishing the Strike, instead of going back into Orbit, there is a chance the entire fireteam will be put back at the Tangled Shore spawn location.
I took this opportunity to just grind out the grenade launcher kills by just farming the King's Dock lost sector nearby, but people kept joining and wondering where they needed to go, since the door to go further into the Lair was closed off.

1v1 bro. Primaries only. You won't have a Telesto to carry you. Only I will get to carry you because I'm about to be your daddy when I'm through with you. Because that's what a good dad would do, carry their son.
My favorite weapons are Mountaintop, Jötunn and Telesto. What are these primaries u are talking about?

excessive

Apr 2, 2018
I miss my handcannon targeting mod. They mentioned it in the TWAB, hope there's a fix soon.

Other than that i'm enjoying the new season. Got lucky with back to back Bottom Dollar drops yesterday aswel, one with quickdraw / multikill clip. I would of liked slideshot over quickdraw, with Titans stasis slide, slideshot is really nice in pvp. Got a Steady Hand with slideshot / swashbuckler last week, thing shreds in Crucible.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Is there an issue with the Focusing Engrams triumph? It says to 'focus Season of the Chosen Umbral Engrams' and I've done that multiple times.

I'm only on tier 1 but the triumph doesn't say it needs to be above. There's a separate triumph for focusing tier 3.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Guys, I'm Destiny PvP noob. Recommend me some good, relatively easy obtainable weapon for PvP.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Is there an issue with the Focusing Engrams triumph? It says to 'focus Season of the Chosen Umbral Engrams' and I've done that multiple times.

I'm only on tier 1 but the triumph doesn't say it needs to be above. There's a separate triumph for focusing tier 3.
Pretty sure I've had mine pop and I've only focused Tier 1's for weapons so far.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been catching up on some missions (Hawkmoon) and getting back in to the point I'm eyeing up the season pass (and that awesome Titan armour in the store...).

How much better is the gameply loop this time? If it's good, can you describe what you think is fun/rewarding about it?

Had fun last night after an extended break, but last season didn't hook me for long...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The animation of the drop pods coming in on Nessus when you start the final assault..

giphy.webp

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Played trials for the first time after the first week when it came back to get the messenger.
Got one with zen moment and celerity....
I have regrets.

Oct 28, 2017
Is the focused lens weekly challenge bugged? I've done a battlegrounds playlist and I'm pretty sure I've gotten my first lens already, sooo?

h3ro

Oct 28, 2017
Last seasons Trials gear is dropping with a new powercap.

L
O
L
Looks to have a new perk pool for the weapons though. They added some new fusion specific perks as well as the new Rocket Launcher ones.

It's a weird scenario and their inconsistency with sunsetting "rules" is frustrating. Here we have Trials gear, same as the gear dropping last week in the previous season, but refreshed and having a 1610 cap while raid gear such as DSC remains at 1410. Some consistency and messaging about what exactly their plan is would go a long way.

As of now, there is zero incentive to grind for god rolled weapons and even less to min-max armor stats. Frustrating.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been catching up on some missions (Hawkmoon) and getting back in to the point I'm eyeing up the season pass (and that awesome Titan armour in the store...).

How much better is the gameply loop this time? If it's good, can you describe what you think is fun/rewarding about it?

Had fun last night after an extended break, but last season didn't hook me for long...
If you enjoy fighting hordes of the Cabal in wider open spaces, this is the Season for you. The Battlegrounds Seasonal Activity average runtime is a lot longer than last Season's Wrathborn Hunts. They're also much more challenging because of the sheer number of enemies thrown at you (and your match made FT) and Champions get thrown into the mix, although not in annoying quantities. There's a new ending arena that was added to Nessus for its Battleground, with a massive Cabal Landship. (Might be the entrance to the new Strike?)

The Battlegrounds Activity uses the Hammer of Proving, which you charge with Cabal Gold (get it from playing almost anything else other than Battlegrounds), which allows you to purchase and slot Medallions into the Hammer. Having a Medallion slotted allows you to smash a bonus chest at the very end, which grants bonus drops (that get better as you upgrade the Hammer via the Wartable vendor in the HELM), as well as "charging" the Hammer so you can use those charges to Focus any Umbral Engrams you have at the Prismatic Recaster.

Because there's a bunch of new loot this Season (the Chosen weapons feel great so far. The SMG is great. The new Frenzy perk is pretty hot!) the loop of doing other Activities to get Cabal Gold so you can smash the additional chest in Battlegrounds and then Focus Umbral Engrams makes for a pretty satisfying loop where you're basically being showered in loot that you have a bit more agency over, especially when it comes to Focusing.

Because I enjoy fighting Cabal so much, I'd easily rank this above something like Undying's Vex Offensive. It's not on the level of Menagerie or Sundial in terms of mechanics and encounter variety, but it's a really fun all-out war with tonnes of every type of Cabal being thrown at you.

I think this is easily worth the 10 bucks, especially after the low point of the mediocre Wrathborn Hunts. Also, the Titan EV armour will be available for Bright Dust, so keep your eyes posted for that. There's a site someone posted (Today in Destiny, IIRC?) that shows the EV schedule for every week so you know when to buy each piece for BD. Don't spend the Silver if you don't have to.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you enjoy fighting hordes of the Cabal in wider open spaces, this is the Season for you. The Battlegrounds Seasonal Activity average runtime is a lot longer than last Season's Wrathborn Hunts. They're also much more challenging because of the sheer number of enemies thrown at you (and your match made FT) and Champions get thrown into the mix, although not in annoying quantities. There's a new ending arena that was added to Nessus for its Battleground, with a massive Cabal Landship. (Might be the entrance to the new Strike?)

The Battlegrounds Activity uses the Hammer of Proving, which you charge with Cabal Gold (get it from playing almost anything else other than Battlegrounds), which allows you to purchase and slot Medallions into the Hammer. Having a Medallion slotted allows you to smash a bonus chest at the very end, which grants bonus drops (that get better as you upgrade the Hammer via the Wartable vendor in the HELM), as well as "charging" the Hammer so you can use those charges to Focus any Umbral Engrams you have at the Prismatic Recaster.

Because there's a bunch of new loot this Season (the Chosen weapons feel great so far. The SMG is great. The new Frenzy perk is pretty hot!) the loop of doing other Activities to get Cabal Gold so you can smash the additional chest in Battlegrounds and then Focus Umbral Engrams makes for a pretty satisfying loop where you're basically being showered in loot that you have a bit more agency over, especially when it comes to Focusing.

Because I enjoy fighting Cabal so much, I'd easily rank this above something like Undying's Vex Offensive. It's not on the level of Menagerie or Sundial in terms of mechanics and encounter variety, but it's a really fun all-out war with tonnes of every type of Cabal being thrown at you.

I think this is easily worth the 10 bucks, especially after the low point of the mediocre Wrathborn Hunts. Also, the Titan EV armour will be available for Bright Dust, so keep your eyes posted for that. There's a site someone posted (Today in Destiny, IIRC?) that shows the EV schedule for every week so you know when to buy each piece for BD. Don't spend the Silver if you don't have to.
This honestly sounds really fun. I'm going to give it a shot.

I don't have enough BD for the pieces, only about 2k, so I'll buy a couple then buy the rest at discount.

Thanks very much for the write up!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I had the lens challenge pop when doing a story mission on the cosmodrome, so probably bugged. Not sure caused it exactly.

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I asked this too but didn't get a reply. Mine is the same and I've no idea if it's bugged or if it's related to something I haven't done?

The first fragile lens you earn as part of the seasonal quest doesn't count for that challenge, you need to unlock one of the permanent lenses, which will unlock one of the Tier 2 or Tier 3 Umbral Engrams.

If you keep playing playing Battlegrounds via the playlist, you'll eventually get one of the Tier 2 armor ones to drop from the chests, or you can hover over the tiles in the Umbral Focus menu to see the unlock conditions for the rest of them and try to get one in particular. Most of them require killing enemies with the same type of weapons as the seasonal ones (i.e. SMGs, rocket launchers, snipers) or grind resources related to the Battlegrounds playlist.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
What do you all think Bungie is going to eventually do about sunsetting? Keep it like it is or change it somehow? Seems to be growing increasingly unpopular and is having the opposite effect of what Bungie wanted (more engagement).

Oct 25, 2017
What do you all think Bungie is going to eventually do about sunsetting? Keep it like it is or change it somehow? Seems to be growing increasingly unpopular and is having the opposite effect of what Bungie wanted (more engagement).
I think they'll announce in the upcoming state of the game that sunsetting will just be longer. So instead of a weapon having a lifespan of a year, it'll have a year and a couple of months.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I had the lens challenge pop when doing a story mission on the cosmodrome, so probably bugged. Not sure caused it exactly.
That's actually not a bug. You unlock lenses this season by actually doing stuff, so for example, if you want more powerful snipers and bow recast options, you kill more things with snipers and bows to unlock those lenses.

You can see the unlock thresholds on the lenses in the recaster menu.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Has anyone figured out what the optimal upgrade path for the hammer is yet?
Since you can only get 3 upgrades this week, general suggestion was to up charge capacity and cabal gold carrying quantity. I opted for charge (as you can unlock some tier 3 lenses already that need 5 charges) and chance for item from final cabal chest. YMMV. I don't think there's many wrong answers at this point.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Since you can only get 3 upgrades this week, general suggestion was to up charge capacity and cabal gold carrying quantity. I opted for charge (as you can unlock some tier 3 lenses already that need 5 charges) and chance for item from final cabal chest. YMMV. I don't think there's many wrong answers at this point.

Yeah, seems like there isn't really a wrong way too go, I just like one someone has done all the maths and tells me which way to upgrade the most optimal path, so I don't have to think about it. Haha.

how can you get more of the new smg drops??

No joke, 90% of all the umbrals I pop are this damn gun, I got 5 of them yesterday just doing a couple BGs. It's all random it seems, and I'm stuck in the "all my drops are smgs"

I've had one sniper, 2 bows, and about a dozen SMGs.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, seems like there isn't really a wrong way too go, I just like one someone has done all the maths and tells me which way to upgrade the most optimal path, so I don't have to think about it. Haha.

No joke, 90% of all the umbrals I pop are this damn gun, I got 5 of them yesterday just doing a couple BGs. It's all random it seems, and I'm stuck in the "all my drops are smgs"

I've had one sniper, 2 bows, and about a dozen SMGs.
i swear every drop out of that thing is that stupid sniper for me lol, that's why i'm asking