• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
This was really underwhelming :(

Starting to think we'll never get a season like Forsaken again. I'm hoping we'll at least get some good PvP balance changes.

It might be disappointing, but it's a season that will run over the festive period and during CES so I'm glad I won't have to play it as much :)

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Season of the Dawn: Vex Offensive 2: Red Legion Boogaloo, two exotic quests and more Eververse shit (ie. Give us real money for all this cool stuff you used to be able to earn within reasonable time).

My expectations were quite low. I knew damn well there wasn't going to be a raid. But what we're getting is even lower than what I thought, which is pretty shocking. But, whatever, I'll play other shit and hope that they've used their time and resources wisely for next season. If this is a preview of what's to come for until next fall...holy shit.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
We don't even get a power bump either lol.

The annual pass was $35, so yea it was basically $11.50 to $12.00 for each season and as you said, those had much more than these seasons so far. People using the $10 price tag to justify the content are being ridiculous.

On the flips side, it may be unreasonable to expect Bungie to pump out that much content quickly. This is clearly a bridge year for their next major release Maybe they need staff up more. I think it's legit to complain what they are putting out is not worth the money though.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully the next two seasons will have raids, cause if the next one doesn't have one, people will riot.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
How much more staff does Bungie need in order to make content seasons like last year without burning themselves out like a Luke claimed?

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

The annual pass was $35, so yea it was basically $11.50 to $12.00 for each season and as you said, those had much more than these seasons so far. People using the $10 price tag to justify the content are being ridiculous.

Holy fuck. You're right. Unless they forgot to mention it or will bring it up before next week.

Mind boggling.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
God, I wish there's a better looter shooter so it can tear out Bungie and force them to get their shit together

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep. I was about to post something similar.

What Bungie is doing with seasons is just going to drive people away from the game. Even though these seasonal activities and the season pass rewards are better than *no* support, they aren't good enough to keep players coming back. Bungie shouldn't be above criticism. If they want Destiny to grow and stick around for years to come their support needs to improve.

It seems like they can only produce a good amount of *new* content for the annual expansions. That is a huge problem. I wonder if internally they're discussing it or if they think ignoring it and throwing out more Vex Offenses will be good enough. Honestly, if you're going to run a live game and not have the resources to refresh it with meaningful content (strikes, MP maps, raid lairs, etc.) a couple few months then maybe you shouldn't be running a live game at all.
The thread has been pretty critical of Bungie myself ibm, so not sure what above criticism means.

Let's be real, they've been at this for 5 years now longer than most AAA games of its ilk in the live service gig. They idea that they don't know how to engage their base is laughable.

Again, it's 10 dollar filler content and you've got folks wanting raids, trials, faction rallies, a dozen new strikes and dungeons and story better be good and lore better be tight!

Seriously, wind it in.

It was a crap reveal, if you're not feeling it, I don't blame you.

Feb 4, 2018
These small drops are better than a drought, but part of me thinks I'd be better off just waiting for D3.

Outside of the raids (and even then, some of them are stale), the game feels like this weird mash-up of Forsaken-era gameplay systems clashing with Vanilla D2 design docs.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
My expectations were low and they managed to still disappoint me.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool to me. I want to see more of the story stuff because the screenshots on the site show small areas (like Tangled Shore, for instance) that are dressed differently for the Saint-14 quest.

I think the value for money of the SP is fine, personally. I probably played a solid 30-50h for Season or Undying stuff exclusively (maybe another 50h for Shadowkeep stuff) and got everything. I also think that putting Bungie's independence and goal for better team health into the picture gives important perspective when evaluating how much #content is in here. I also think that, due to the new format for storytelling, as a developer you don't want to show everything all at once. I'm sure there will be legitimate surprises tucked away and / or revealed as the Season progresses. If not? I'm happy to take a small break and catch up on other games for a bit.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
How much more staff does Bungie need in order to make content seasons like last year without burning themselves out like a Luke claimed?

That's another thing that has puzzled me. Don't they have up to 700 people within Bungie alone? If so, I've never understood their inability to produce content or why they reskin and reuse so much stuff. What are all of these people doing? What are they working on? We've never gotten a reasonable or fair answer from them.

If they're working in Destiny 3 or a super duper enhanced, next gen port of Destiny 2 with all of D1's content, cool. If not, then seriously... What's the deal? It shouldn't take 30 people to make one weapon 9r piece of armor.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
This is both unexpected and disappointing all the same. Without the support of high moon and vicarious visions as backup studios I can't say I'm surprised with wafer thin seasonal content.

I'm choosing to look at it in a positive way, I can actually play other games and not feel left out of destiny.

Deleted member 25671

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

To be fair they also had two studios working on content from Activision, it feels like they're struggling to keep up with the timeline. I think they misread the room, it would probably have been better to create new armor and weapons, bring back factions and trials, with an occasional Raid, Dungeon and strike. Not a big activity each season. Leave the big expansions to do the big narrative drive.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly instilling much confidence when the season's selling point is new bosses for the new activity, especially after the wet fart that was the Undying Mind.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
You know how they said they could pivot one direction or pivot the other depending on the reaction to this year?

It's time to fucking pivot.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's another thing that has puzzled me. Don't they have up to 700 people within Bungie alone? If so, I've never understood their inability to produce content or why they reskin and reuse so much stuff. What are all of these people doing? What are they working on? We've never gotten a reasonable or fair answer from them.

If they're working in Destiny 3 or a super duper enhanced, next gen port of Destiny 2 with all of D1's content, cool. If not, then seriously... What's the deal? It shouldn't take 30 people to make one weapon 9r piece of armor.
700 is not a big number if that also includes support teams, IT, studio operation staff, HR, finance, and so on. I'm sure they do art outsourcing but even teams that manage that aspect can be quite large.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
700 is not a big number if that also includes support teams, IT, studio operation staff, HR, finance, and so on. I'm sure they do art outsourcing but even teams that manage that aspect can be quite large.
Don't forget you have teams concurrently developing new content to follow up and then you have D3.

Some people think the entire team is working on one drop?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Bungie should reallocate all of their 6-man activity employees to the raid team.

I get that Luke Smith wants a "war chest" of content to pull from for future releases and releasing 6-man experiences helps you build a broader base of content than raid content that dates itself pretty quickly, but raid content gets the user base excited and engaged like nothing else in the game.

Who's looking at the Sundial and going, "oh shit, I need to hop on this"? Vex Offensive? Menagerie?
Are you high ?

Since when has raid content gotten anybody exited besides the top 5% of the player-base that actually raids ?

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is both unexpected and disappointing all the same. Without the support of high moon and vicarious visions as backup studios I can't say I'm surprised with wafer thin seasonal content.

I'm choosing to look at it in a positive way, I can actually play other games and not feel left out of destiny.

D2 is setup so that you will still need to grind hours/day though.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
If what Bungie is doing is easy you'd be playing another game.

Your lords and saviours the Destiny killers lie in a pit beneath your feet.
Exactly. If making games that satisfied a fan base like this one was easy there would be a lot more successful ones. Creating and maintaining these games is clearly expansive and difficult to the point where I feel it's impossible.

I'm gonna pay for the pass, play the new content, start working on armour builds, triumphs etc and if there's nothing else I want to do I'll stop playing the game until the next season. Either way I'm pretty sure I'll get my £8/9's worth.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

We've known for ages thanks to Jason Schreier how absolutely shit Bungie's tools are.
They basically need 10 times the people to do with their tools what other devs do with theirs

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Some seemingly smaller offerings, which we don't know whether or not will require a ton of work, like SRL or something like the Haunted Forest would ease the sting of this seemingly slim season. I really wish this season had more than just the Sundial.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
God, I just wanna fucking cry hard right now :(
giphy.gif

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Im kinda happy there is no power bump.

I played 200 hours since it came to steam, and my gear power level is barely at 953.
I wont have as much time next year, so if i am lucky i can reach 960 before next september.

If what Bungie is doing is easy you'd be playing another game.

Your lords and saviours the Destiny killers lie in a pit beneath your feet.

Its the Gamefreak thing all over again.
Pokemon isnt what some people want it to be, and clearly its super easy to fullfill the expectations, so Pokemon must be bad, and there needs to be a savior that does everything "right" while also having everything Pokemon has.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I said this was a season to play other games as a reaction to the sparsely filled calendar infographic, because this season is objectively light on content compared to others (understandably so) based on that calendar. We still don't know much though about other QOL updates, armor 2.0 changes, weapons, potential special missions (there was some pyramid thing on the calendar), and pvp changes, etc. idk why ppl are losing their minds as if this game is going to die. we even have people confirming no power increase which has not been confirmed. Just a vague response by bungie, which says nothing.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Happy about this, to be honest. I don't think the game needed another power bump with how it was set up. Next season, sure. But I don't think it's needed yet.

Power bumps have never been needed, at best it serves to give people a meaningless bigger number, at worst it's a chore that makes getting drops more annoying because they're not a level cap. The artifact at least separates the gear drops from the light level but they should go further and use the perfectly good system for stratifying difficulties in the prestige/nightfall modifiers and level caps.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I miss the old D1 days when we would get one drop in September and then not get anything for a whole year.
My sarcasm meter is working again!
They're really celebrating sparrows on Mercury like they didn't leave them out intentionally during CoO so people wouldn't automatically find out how TINY the map was.
Really? You really think it was on purpose? They've told us numerous times that bringing out a sparrow and the size of the main area crashes the game because it exceeds the memory pool. The actual size of the area is gigantic and very vertical. The only transitions to other areas that exist are for the Lost Sector and the Infinite Forest itself, and IF itself is used in controlled spaces anyway. Just looking at the reveal showed some changes to Mercury that probably eased up on the memory requirement to allow sparrows and other things.