• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes and no, it depends on what the communication is with. Usually the communication between game client and game servers is done directly via either TCP or UDP (depends on the game / engine). Actual communication usually is done with specifically designed data packets that both the game clients and game servers understand.

This blog series has some examples.
Thanks

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
What about Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus for multiplayer? Currently, you can't do matchmade activities or play with friends without those subscriptions (but you can play campaign and do free roam). Will that change in the fall?

There are literally billions of potential gamers that would love to play something like destiny 2 but can't afford a $500 PC or console. Compare that to the PS4 install base..lol it's a joke.

Once Stadia goes International it will literally have 10-20x more players on every f2p game than any other platform.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
There are literally billions of potential gamers that would love to play something like destiny 2 but can't afford a $500 PC or console. Compare that to the PS4 install base..lol it's a joke.

Once Stadia goes International it will literally have 10-20x more players on every f2p game than any other platform.
I mean, maybe, if the interest and buzz is there. I think Destiny is a fantastic game and will be one of the highest quality free-to-play games to date when it launches in September. I too think people are underestimating how popular Stadia Base and Destiny 2: New Light could be. Hardcore Destiny players will be there for the convenience, and you can't have a much lower barrier to entry than free streaming of a free game that runs on dated laptops, PCs, phones, and TV sticks. And it's not like someone with a beefy PC couldn't just log onto the Stadia Base version if they wanted to play with friends who don't have a capable PC. It's the lowest common denominator the game needs to bring the most people together until cross play is implemented.

Last edited:

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
It is crazy how negative platform holders are against crossplay. Thank goodness for Microsoft and Nintendo shoving this industry forward through the corporate muck.
h
I'm confused, are they saying they're choosing to not do it then? That's an odd choice.

edit: I guess he means there's nothing on Google's end preventing them.
I take it as they are still interested in cross play but it is something that will really look into it after cross save has been implemented (so sometime next year hopefully)

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Wait so then cross save is their priority right now and cross play with Stadia isn't an impossibility but they want to just focus on cross save with platforms at the moment. Did I understand that right?

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Many already pointed out but:

1) destiny 2 doesn't have crossplay
2) at stadia reveal they talked about embrassing crossplay

Maybe you guys should do your research before complaining. Just saying.
My problem isn't that Stadia doesn't support/have cross-play, they obviously do, its that the game they're partnering with for launch (to the point that the full collection is included in the founders edition) is a multiplayer game that doesn't have cross-play when its obvious the lack of cross-play will hurt the title.

Sure, you could just play Destiny on Stadia as a side thing to playing it on PC/Console (as in do the stuff that doesn't really need other players), but that defeats the purpose of the service, which is a replacement to those other platforms. Think finding an active Blind Well is hard now, finding one on Stadia will be near impossible. And that's the problem. Stadia at launch won't have a playerbase for Destiny that rivals that of any of the other platforms which means doing activities that rely on matchmaking will take longer or suffer in some way.

Destiny on Stadia as it stands right now is not a way to play the game that replaces playing it on other platforms, instead its a way to play the game in tandem with other platforms. Cross-play with even just one other platform would solve this issue but I just don't think Stadia will have the playerbase to support this game for very long without cross-play and that's a problem.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
My problem isn't that Stadia doesn't support/have cross-play, they obviously do, its that the game they're partnering with for launch (to the point that the full collection is included in the founders edition) is a multiplayer game that doesn't have cross-play when its obvious the lack of cross-play will hurt the title.

Sure, you could just play Destiny on Stadia as a side thing to playing it on PC/Console (as in do the stuff that doesn't really need other players), but that defeats the purpose of the service, which is a replacement to those other platforms. Think finding an active Blind Well is hard now, finding one on Stadia will be near impossible. And that's the problem. Stadia at launch won't have a playerbase for Destiny that rivals that of any of the other platforms which means doing activities that rely on matchmaking will take longer or suffer in some way.

Destiny on Stadia as it stands right now is not a way to play the game that replaces playing it on other platforms, instead its a way to play the game in tandem with other platforms. Cross-play with even just one other platform would solve this issue but I just don't think Stadia will have the playerbase to support this game for very long without cross-play and that's a problem.
Destiny 2 will have a 1:1 attachment rate for Stadia. The question will be how many units of the founders edition are sold.

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they're just hedging with this 'focusing on cross-save this year' talk and they're actually working to ship cross-play ASAP.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-play is clearly on their roadmap, but it's not as simple as flipping a switch so they are focused on cross-save in the interim which is probably easier.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Didn't know gaming PCs, Xboxes and PlayStations and PS+ Xbox live were free.

lmao are you serious with this nonsense

by your logic, the TVs/laptops/smartphones Stadia users will use should count towards the cost of playing Destiny as well.

Internet/cell plan won't be free either. Power isn't free. Might as well count your rent too.

What about Xbox Live Gold and PS Plus for multiplayer? Currently, you can't do matchmade activities or play with friends without those subscriptions (but you can play campaign and do free roam). Will that change in the fall?

PS+ isn't needed for free to play games, but with Forsaken not being free I'm not sure how that will work exactly.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

by your logic, the TVs/laptops/smartphones Stadia users will use should count towards the cost of playing Destiny as well.

Internet/cell plan won't be free either. Power isn't free. Might as well count your rent too.

People already own TVs/laptops/smartphones. They buy a console or graphics card-equipped PC for one reason: gaming.

You're removing a $500 barrier to entry.

There are hundreds of millions of people in places like India that own a smartphone but do not own console (many of them don't even own a TV). In 3-5 years when those people have access to Stadia, what do you think they're going to do?

PUBG has 400 million mobile players. Again, compare that to the PS4 install base. It's a joke.

There are 7 billion people on the planet. About half of them have a PC or a smartphone. But there are only 150M current gen consoles.

People are only thinking about their own privileged corner of the world. Maybe it isn't Stadia. Maybe it's a free version of xCloud, or some other cloud gaming solution from Alibaba or some other company. But that is the way the majority of the world will play free-to-play games.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
There are hundreds of millions of people in places like India that own a smartphone but do not own a TV or PC. In 3-5 years when those people have access to Stadia, what do you think they're going to do?

Honestly? Not use Stadia because Google will have killed it by then.

People are only thinking about their own privileged corner of the world.

Well you seem to think anyone with a smartphone will be privileged enough to have a generous enough data plan to take advantage of Stadia.

Many won't.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD

People already have these things for other reasons. Someone who never played games before could theoretically jump into Destiny 2: New Light on Stadia Base without purchasing anything they didn't already have, even if they don't typically play video games.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I was looking forward to checking out Stadia in my home but man that £119 founder's edition just got a whole lot less appealing. I think many of us assumed Stadia was effectively running PC versions and therefore would in most cases be able to play with other PC folk.

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-play will probably come with next gen consoles. They have plans to massively upgrade console performance and visuals when PS5/Xwhatever drop.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Well you seem to think anyone with a smartphone will be privileged enough to have a generous enough data plan to take advantage of Stadia.

Many won't.

Exactly this. Further, the assumption Stadia makes is that players of primarily f2p games on mobile would be playing traditional AAA if they were able to, but considering the greater-than-expected performance of the current console generation I am not sure that is a worthy leap to take. My take is that the amount of people really interested in sinking time into Destiny 2 already own something that will play it; I don't anticipate a massive boost to their active player base even once Stadia Base is out.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I was already shaky about it. This just puts the final nail in the coffin. Shame.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to checking out Stadia in my home but man that £119 founder's edition just got a whole lot less appealing. I think many of us assumed Stadia was effectively running PC versions and therefore would in most cases be able to play with other PC folk.
I always thought that Stadia was its own "console", but maybe I'm in the minority. I don't think they ever gave the impression that they were running PC games.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The biggest issue with this isn't that cross play isn't a thing (it's its own platform after all), but that if you buy the Founders Edition of Stadia, you lose access to Destiny 2 as soon as you stop paying for Stadia Pro.

The way it's worded in ads is that you'll "own" D2, but instead it's being bundled as part of the PS+ like subscription. As soon as I heard that I was out. Disappointing.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm kind of glad I'm not into online multi-player, because I imagine this has to be really discouraging to anyone who wants any given online multi-player game to thrive for years with a decent-sized community. Developers/publishers who support cross-platform multi-player really need to start shutting out platforms that refuse to allow cross-play, and developers/publishers working on live/online games really need to be more interested in the idea of cross-play if they want their products to have legs.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of glad I'm not into online multi-player, because I imagine this has to be really discouraging to anyone who wants any given online multi-player game to thrive for years with a decent-sized community. Developers/publishers who support cross-platform multi-player really need to start shutting out platforms that refuse to allow cross-play, and developers/publishers working on live/online games really need to be more interested in the idea of cross-play if they want their products to have legs.

Well bungie had cross save ready to be shipped before destiny 2 came out but couldnt cause of Activision. Now that they split, they are doing one at a time starting with cross save

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Crossplay is coming, destiny free to play is coming, the community will be getting a shot in the arm come September.

They have limited resources and refuse to crunch their employees so this shit takes time

200.gif

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Google should have done anything to enable crossplay in Destiny2.

This is the most important game for Stadias launch, and it will probably impossible to play multiplayer matches at launch or a few weeks after launch, when the curious people left.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
This gets me more worried for Borderlands 3 than Destiny. I'm really hoping Gearbox announces some form of cross-play prior to the Stadia launch. I was planning on checking it out there, but if there is no cross-play that will kill the game. At least with Destiny, everyone on Stadia will own it. With Borderlands, it's going to be an even smaller community.

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I think people forget there's a large number of people out there who are either lapsed gamers, or the barrier to entry was always too great for them to jump in, and Stadia will be a great solution for those people.

Perhaps they've heard someone talk about a certain game a lot, and are interested, but not interested enough to buy a $400+ console.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Crossplay is coming, destiny free to play is coming, the community will be getting a shot in the arm come September.

They have limited resources and refuse to crunch their employees so this shit takes time

200.gif
Understandable, but wasn't Destiny 2 the game for which cross-play was "accidentally" enabled for a short period a long time ago?

EDIT: Nope. It was Fortnite.

Last edited:

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Actually wanted to try it through my Macbook, so this news saves me the trouble.

Nov 14, 2017
The biggest issue with this isn't that cross play isn't a thing (it's its own platform after all), but that if you buy the Founders Edition of Stadia, you lose access to Destiny 2 as soon as you stop paying for Stadia Pro.

The way it's worded in ads is that you'll "own" D2, but instead it's being bundled as part of the PS+ like subscription. As soon as I heard that I was out. Disappointing.
That's the whole thing about Stadia though. It's a subscription service, so stop paying and you lose access.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That's the whole thing about Stadia though. It's a subscription service, so stop paying and you lose access.

Nope, you can also buy full games as well. The way it was phrased in the reveal is that D2 was going to be one of those 'owned' games - the fact they're bundling it into the subscription and counting it as "EXTRA VALUE!!!" in the marketing is some serious BS