• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
I think part of it is that they are rendering locally with a lot higher framerate and they use that surplus of frames to reduce latency overall somehow. I remember hearing something about that on one of their interviews.
Thanks. Sounds possible. That's a shitty move if that's the case. Poor bastards who preordered this shitshow. It will be fun to see the first post-launch interview with the people behind this piece of shit, who straight up lied to the consumers.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So your precious bandwidth (for those with caps) goes towards useless upscaling that any TV could have done for you. Sweet deal.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Probably running multiple instances/VMs or whatever per machine to save on money. Feeling vindicated reading about all the people saying they can stack multiple slades so that a single game can run with 20, 30 or 40 TF instances and me thinking from day 1 that that will not be the case. And now you probably aren´t even getting one lol.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Probably running multiple instances/VMs or whatever per machine to save on money.
That's unlikely; for the most part stuff like the RDR2 results make sense.. it's about what the game is capable of on a Vega-56 GPU which is about the best guess for Stadia.

Destiny 2 not being 4k isn't much of a shocker either as that card has issues @4k if you want to hit 60FPS; honestly the strangest thing is Destiny being medium settings because Stadia hardware should be able to do highest settings @1080p 60.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Glad I dodged a bullet here. I totally bought into the advertising and I have Google Fiber so I figured I'd be guaranteed the "next gen early" 4K60 experience. I nearly bought the Founder's pack several times, I held off since I've already played the entire launch lineup.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Stadia is the most fun I had while not owning or playing the games.

Why is anyone so surprised? Are you not aware of problems such as latency, bandwidth, and internet speeds? You think you'll be streaming 4K with no lag!?!? Hahahaha!

If anyone wants to buy the Brooklyn Bridge, send me a message. I got a good deal for you.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
GlaringWanCowbird-size_restricted.gif

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, no. Everyone who has been around Onlive, Nvidia Game stream, PS NOW, knows what to expect. We all were talking within reason on data centers, location, latency.

But certain posters were all for it for " the future".

It's a cool tech, that is still years away from even being a suitable option.
I wasn't expecting the subpar Destiny port, but was most the rest. They have been radio silent for too long for things to be going smoothly.

The cost of admission is still pretty negligible, so we'll see how Google reacts to this bad PR

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wasn't expecting the subpar Destiny port, but was most the rest. They have been radio silent for too long for things to be going smoothly.

The cost of admission is still pretty negligible, so we'll see how Google reacts to this bad PR

They will handle it the same way as Allo. Say this is the same way they roll out everything so they can respond to feedback. claim Gmail started the same way despite that being a ludicrous comparison and it not been 2011 any more, slowly do a few features requests which will not be the same ones that are requested, release an update with emoji messaging or something nobody wanted and then kill the project taking absolutely no lessons from it.

Seriously, the noises coming out of the Stadia team in that AMA were uncannily like the Allo management.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't Washington Post owned by Amazon? A direct competitor of Google's in the cloud infrastructure and (soon) gaming space...?

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
Man, as a software engineer I appreciate that this is probably one hell of a technical challenge & it has never been done on this scale before (previous competitors didn't have this hype or marketing behind them), but overpromising and underdelivering is the opposite of what you want to do in a customer facing product such as this.

I feel for the google engineer going 'pls just stop' to the marketing team lol

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
At this point, I just hope it's not a long agonizing death, for the sake of the community and Google. Lets hope it will be fast and painless.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, this doesn't feel like it was made with gamers or for gamers. It feels like they saw a market they wanted to make a half-assed attempt to capture.

"Hey, we got games, too. Why don't we sell them?"
"But we can't make gaming hardware."
"What if we just have them pay for access to some of our servers and stream the video to them?"
"Brilliant!"

The lack of features is stunning. Compare this to OnLive which truly felt curated. Remember OnLive?

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Probably running multiple instances/VMs or whatever per machine to save on money. Feeling vindicated reading about all the people saying they can stack multiple slades so that a single game can run with 20, 30 or 40 TF instances and me thinking from day 1 that that will not be the case. And now you probably aren´t even getting one lol.
^This
I was getting blown away by people who were delusional enough to believe that Stadia games would be running multi GPU setups that would also magically scale in ways that local Sli/CF setups couldn't. Yet here we are and the games seems to not even utilize it's supposed base specs.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate because the Destiny 2 PC port is so well optimized, any somewhat decent PC can run it really well. The real kicker though is that people playing on Stadia can only play with other people on Stadia and I can't imagine there will be a large player base.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They said they could stack Stadia units to increase graphical fidelity, I guess they can also split Stadia units among several clients...

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel bad for the people over at Google who are probably tearing their hair out over this launch. Like, really, genuinely feel bad. Nobody deserves to have a project launch this poorly.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stadia is the most fun I had while not owning or playing the games.

Why is anyone so surprised? Are you not aware of problems such as latency, bandwidth, and internet speeds? You think you'll be streaming 4K with no lag!?!? Hahahaha!

If anyone wants to buy the Brooklyn Bridge, send me a message. I got a good deal for you.
"uhh.. uhh.., we already know it! you dumdum"

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look, looks like it's got the centered reticle (the default on PC, console has it slightly lowered) even though you're using a controller... and the same godawful FoV you get on console. Are either of those things at least adjustable? If not I'd find this basically unplayable compared to playing on PC.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
They said they could stack Stadia units to increase graphical fidelity, I guess they can also split Stadia units among several clients...

The tech exists to split, but not to 'stack'. Nobody has invented that for games (NVLink for an example of as close as we can get), so it's literally not possible and won't happen.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The tech exists to split, but not to 'stack'. Nobody has invented that for games (NVLink for an example of as close as we can get), so it's literally not possible and won't happen.

Maybe I used the wrong vocabulary, but I am pretty sure they claimed they could combine the power of several Stadia units to achieve greater graphical fidelity in the future. They showcased that possibility with a water simulation in their presentation.