• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i bought the expansions for cheap after not playing since the original release of D2 and i kind of wish there was some sort of onboarding. i have no idea what i should be doing.
Just follow the stars on your directory.

Complete the objectives how ever you like, be it Gambit, strikes, crucible, Flashpoint activities, story missions etc

Though it is advisable to get on with some m8s

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Inconsistency really hurt this franchise. I dropped the game after the base Destiny 2 raid and will probably never go back. They had a good thing going with TTK and they should have built upon that instead of doing what they did.

It's also a very expensive game when you think about all of the expansions and now with the annual passes on top of everything. On top of all that they still have the micro transactions.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Inconsistency really hurt this franchise. I dropped the game after the base Destiny 2 raid and will probably never go back. They had a good thing going with TTK and they should have built upon that instead of doing what they did.

It's also a very expensive game when you think about all of the expansions and now with the annual passes on top of everything. On top of all that they still have the micro transactions.

Forsaken is basically the TTK of Destiny 2. it is the exact same pattern as Destiny 1: base game not so great, got a lot better with the first major add on. i don´t want to defend the costs of the game but the annual pass is-while the content could be more interesting-at least a way to deliver continuous content for the game instead of a big addon and nothing new for a year. Destiny 2 is now in a much better state than the vanilla release. if someone chose to leave the franchise, that is fine-but for those you stuck with it the game is more like the first game now and more or less what the people expected from the vanilla D2 game.

they will never make the game based on a monthly fee like MMORPGs, so they chose to take this approach and for people playing the game regularly it is a no brainer to buy the annual pass. problematic is that the annual pass just adds more grind on top of an already grindy game.

i think the main problem with Destiny is more that it turns itself in a circle, we are now nearly there where the first game was in Year 3, there is much reused assets, recycling and returning weapons and stuff. sometimes it feels like the franchise doesn´t move forward at all.

Destiny 3 must shake up the formula to surprise people because the whole concept of Destiny is getting a little too predictable and stale at this point. Grinding for grind´s sake is not a good approach and there should be more meaningful content instead of doing the same stuff every week and ticking off some checkboxes.

Dec 2, 2017
Honestly, they make enough of the content they produce free for everybody that anyone with Forsaken but nothing else is just fine. Especially if you're a PvP player - so far from the season pass you're missing out on one killer pulse rifle and little else.

Nov 8, 2017
I like Destiny a lot. But I don't have a group to play with. It's been pretty hard to get above 550 power. The new content came out and i cant even play it. Went back to other games I've been playing.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Source

My understanding is that Forsaken is actually a good expansion, and that the new content strategy is well received by fans. Why then does it not seem to be working?

People 'beat' Forsaken and don't want to grind the same content. For this type of game to remain consistently high it needs 4x the Forsaken content, yearly; one major expansion per quarter, the annual pass&grind doesn't cut it.

They could also boost those numbers by allowing matchmaking in all activities, but that's a dead horse argument, so I'll stop here.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
I like Destiny a lot. But I don't have a group to play with. It's been pretty hard to get above 550 power. The new content came out and i cant even play it. Went back to other games I've been playing.
You can do it! I did almost everything solo since forsaken and im now 648 with my warlock. Just keep doing milesstones, farm those prime engrams (they drop now a lot more under PL600) and do all the dreaming city stuff. You will get up in no time.

Last edited:

KodiakOak

Oct 27, 2017
I very nearly jumped back in for Forsaken when I heard about all the good things coming out of the community about it. But when I started looking at best ways to buy it and which platform etc I soon found out there was an annual pass needed for the coming future 2019 content and it was once again something else to pay out for and I decided against it.

I loved Destiny, it was one of my GOAT, and I was so buzzed for D2 and was a day 1 player. But once again just like D1 it became apparent they hadn't learnt anything about the separation of community with DLC's and they purely come across as greedy with the prices they want for DLC.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
People 'beat' Forsaken and don't want to grind the same content. For this type of game to remain consistently high it needs 4x the Forsaken content, yearly; one major expansion per quarter, the annual pass&grind doesn't cut it.

They could also boost those numbers by allowing matchmaking in all activities, but that's a dead horse argument, so I'll stop here.

Yeah, for every person who wants to keep doing the same thing over and over in hopes for getting the roll that gives them the rewards they want, there are likely two or three who just want to go and do something new after a while. If you're into exploration or moving the story forward...then you're gonna hit a wall with this game and drop it until the next content comes out.

Last edited:

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I burned out trying to grind for the Forsaken raid, the final nail was their flip floppy attitude toward balancing Gambit during SleeperGate. I don't remember if that ever got resolved.

it just moved to queensbreaker, which takes a modicum more skill to be way more effective.

my problem is bungie doesn't ever patch or balance on a good schedule. or any schedule. all kinds of imbalances and bugs take months or never to patch.

and i am beginning to continue to suspect the ui and inventory management is tripe on purpose

Oct 27, 2017
this type of hyperbolic nonsense is why I cant stand talking to anybody about this game. there is controversy over the power requirement stuff, but the content itself has been well received. of course, you'll just pretend everybody hates it, because that's the destiny fanbase for you. we've been hearing about the demise of destiny since about a week after d1 launched, and here we are with the same old toxic bullshit and people pretending the game is anything other than hugely popular.
Which BA content has been "well received"?

Gammacide

Oct 27, 2017
Forsaken has been fantastic, but toward the end of it PvP became a nightmare and Black Armory is FAR too grindy. Grind the same content over and over just to be able to play the new content. I guess I've just run out of that much time. If you could grind the forge from day 1 that would be great, but you couldn't even play it. I'm just not into such a drawn out process for so little reward. And PvP is still a nightmare with sweaty stacks of Luna's and NFs which soured my own attempts to reach Fabled by the end of last season. Maybe if it didn't reset I'd still be trying, but it's almost entirely disheartening anymore. Sad because I loved D1 PvP and it kept me hooked for the duration.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how much of this is PC players who got their free copy dropping it after a few weeks.

i played through the campaign and felt pretty done with it after that. once i realized exactly how much grinding would be required to progress i knew i just couldn't dump the time into it, plus i don't have any friends who play.

and honestly it doesn't feel like the kind of experience that will suck you in hard unless you have a group to play with regularly or are extremely into this kind of grind. the base mechanics are good but nothing they layered on top felt interesting at all to me, all of the story and writing were laughably bad, and so many systems went completely unexplained.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Went back to Destiny with Forsaken about 3 weeks ago. It's a lot better than vanilla Destiny. When from 0 to 605 Power with minimal effort. (The new cap is 650) so I'm getting close.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's too much competition on the market now and Destiny is way too inconsistent of a franchise. It's going to follow the WoW pattern of initial boost upon expansion and then it'll fall right back down to it's hardcore base. Mainstream gamers aren't going to stick around.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I still feel lost about some things. Like what is an escalation protocol and why can't I get loot from them?

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like people like the actual forges (which is the new content) the issues are the power req and the quests to unlock the forge.
I've yet to meet anyone that thinks the forges are any good. They're just basically tiny little circles you stand around and shoot enemies in and occasionally throw balls at a device in the middle until a boss comes out. Destiny has done several takes on horde mode and this is one of their absolute laziest and worst attempts. Doesn't help that they've set it up in such a way that it actually rewards people for joining and doing nothing to help.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana
I've yet to meet anyone that thinks the forges are any good. They're just basically tiny little circles you stand around and shoot enemies in and occasionally throw balls at a device in the middle until a boss comes out. Destiny has done several takes on horde mode and this is one of their absolute laziest and worst attempts. Doesn't help that they've set it up in such a way that it actually rewards people for joining and doing nothing to help.

Hey man I don't play the game that's just what the reviews and the Reddit say.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is something that people have warned against and it keeps being ignored. When publishers try to make every game a time-consuming service the less popular or less recent games will tend to fall off the radar. There's a limited amount of time that a large, but limited, audience has per day to play games.

In Starcraft there's an optimal number of workers that you can send in to get Vespene Gas, one of the game's main resources. I think that number is 3 or 4 workers but the point is that any number of workers above that will result in zero extra resources.

Games as a Service is the Vespene gas and every publisher is pumping multiple workers to try to grab from that limited resource and as a result, most of them end up failing and I wouldn't be surprised if those services also negatively affect the sales of other games, since people have to be more dedicated to a smaller number of them. It reminds me a bit of World of Warcraft and how everyone tried to be the next WoW and failed miserably at it. People have a limited amount of time and less willingness to try new MMOs when they are already heavily invested in one that they enjoy.

I think it's a harmful practice overall. Not just for consumers but also the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey man I don't play the game that's just what the reviews and the Reddit say.
I've seen only one review of Black Armory, and it shits all over it. A 5.5 out of 10 from IGN. Their assessment of the forges in a word was "repetitive". It's hard to believe Bungie managed to release something worse than Curse of Osiris, but they did it. Props to them for that, I guess.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It's a chain of events on Mars with each stage getting harder (7 stages total) And why can't you get loot from it ?
Idk. I saw one going on, thought to myself "what the fuck is an escalation protocol? " Because they never explained it anywhere, fought off a bunch of waves of thralls and wizards and shit and after it ended there was no loot so I still had no idea what was going on, or what it was. Just a different kind of public event?

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
But the Forsaken exotics aren't underwhelming though. Each class has at least two amazing armour pieces, and there are quite a few standout weapons with the rest being good or fun. Also, I don't see how you can have double the time in Destiny that I do, and not yourself be super hardcore.

I was super HC throughout D1 and in the beginning of D2, but after Y1 of D2 and after grinding my ass through Forsaken I just stopped enjoying myself. The grind was frustrating, the RNG only added to that frustration.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Constant grind needs good payoff. With so many new and great games out there giving you satisfaction nearly every minute, it's hard to justify wasting dozens of hours of grind to get an item or a specific level just so you can replay same or similar content at a higher level. The fact you have to keep on paying is also quite the barrier that separates the casuals from the hardcore fans. When Destiny first came out there were far less online games to choose from, there was mistery around the game. At this point it's hard to convince people to join or to come back, the community seems more or less set in stone as the game's core is clear as day by now. Destiny 3 will have to change a lot to call back the people burnt by 1 and 2, and the progression system will have to change drastically unless they're happy to see a slowly diminishing core of players that has no chance to meaningfully grow, ever.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

I think the forges are fine. Also there are puzzles that the community is trying to figure out about them.

Dunk

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, for every person who wants to keep doing the same thing over and over in hopes for getting the roll that gives them the rewards they want, there are likely two or three who just want to go and do something new after a while. If you're into exploration or moving the story forward...then you're gonna hit a wall with this game and drop it until the next content comes out.

The Forsaken storyline is still evolving every week with new bits of dialogue and some cutscenes when you turn your offering to the oracle in.

Just had a cutscene showing a certain big character get revived by a ghost last week

It is impossible to keep casual players around long term since it isn't in their nature. I, for one, am glad there is tons for me to do on a weekly basis

Just now at 649 so I should be max within the next few days, and haven't done the latest raid yet either. Probably will tackle that this weekend

I highly doubt those casual players explored everything the game had to offer before quitting. There are lots of things to collect scattered throughout the new areas. There are 40 eggs you can only shoot with a bow you obtain from the shattered throne. Most casuals probably don't even know what the shattered throne is

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Destiny 2 doubled down on the problems Destiny 1 had. If the base game had started as a f2p game perhaps it would have been better received

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
I've accepted the game won't ever have that wonder that D1 had and that's ok. There's never a second 1st for anything and by and large the game has been in a fairly decent place content-wise. Saying that, they fucked up with the power level requirements for Black Armory. I paid for this content and I can't access it for who knows how long because I don't have the time to rank up enough to even begin it. It'd have been different if the first forge was accessible by anyone under 600 and as you completed them you ranked up enough to attempt the next one. As it stands I can't even do the first activity and that's ridiculous. They were taking some really positive steps with the game and BA basically fucked all that. I'm not sure what to think now as the game has basically stalled for me at the moment. I'm at 585 and slowly gaining but at this rate I won't be able to play the content I paid for for weeks at the earliest. It's super frustrating as I'm a huge fan of the franchise and want it to do well but these stutter steps they keep doing with content really frustrate me. If BA is the template for content going forward Bungie might wanna rethink that strategy or at least alter it to allow people to actually play the content they paid for.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 doubled down on the problems Destiny 1 had. If the base game had started as a f2p game perhaps it would have been better received

It didn't even need to start as a f2p game. It just needed to not go "fuck you pay me" and then boot me out of the playlists. As soon as that happened I stopped playing the game. I don't know what it is about Activision that makes them jizz for community splitting.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Idk. I saw one going on, thought to myself "what the fuck is an escalation protocol? " Because they never explained it anywhere, fought off a bunch of waves of thralls and wizards and shit and after it ended there was no loot so I still had no idea what was going on, or what it was. Just a different kind of public event?
There are seven stages. You get minor loot on completion of stage 3 and 5 and a possibility for more major loot on completion of stage 7.

Your group probably either failed the event or didn't activate the next stage and so you never got it.

After d2 vanilla was criticized for hand holding , d2 warmind and subsequent releases went back to the style of making things obscure and mysterious as the community wanted. You'll need to keep a close eye on reddit or YouTube to understand everything in the game now, or have a friend who does. This is just one example of that.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I've accepted the game won't ever have that wonder that D1 had and that's ok. There's never a second 1st for anything and by and large the game has been in a fairly decent place content-wise. Saying that, they fucked up with the power level requirements for Black Armory. I paid for this content and I can't access it for who knows how long because I don't have the time to rank up enough to even begin it. It'd have been different if the first forge was accessible by anyone under 600 and as you completed them you ranked up enough to attempt the next one. As it stands I can't even do the first activity and that's ridiculous. They were taking some really positive steps with the game and BA basically fucked all that. I'm not sure what to think now as the game has basically stalled for me at the moment. I'm at 585 and slowly gaining but at this rate I won't be able to play the content I paid for for weeks at the earliest. It's super frustrating as I'm a huge fan of the franchise and want it to do well but these stutter steps they keep doing with content really frustrate me. If BA is the template for content going forward Bungie might wanna rethink that strategy or at least alter it to allow people to actually play the content they paid for.

BA was always meant as "endgame" content though

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
I'm completely done with this franchise. Pretty disappointed I got tricked into getting destiny 2 thinking it would be better. I was wrong. I will not be buying into destiny 3.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was all up for buying forsaken but after seeing the seperate annual pass it disappointed me and stopped me from purchasing forsaken.

I'm not sure how any company who makes $ off of MXTs also sells you the content to make you play and sell you more cosmetic items... I mean I know how, it's just shitty and shady.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It didn't even need to start as a f2p game. It just needed to not go "fuck you pay me" and then boot me out of the playlists. As soon as that happened I stopped playing the game. I don't know what it is about Activision that makes them jizz for community splitting.

Spot on. When i started playing the base game not too long ago i noticed my level cap was 20 while everyone else was running around at level 50. My buddy and I hit 20 in what seemed like no time at all, we did a couple main story missions, ran around on patrol for a while and did some of the quests you receive in the open world...Things were feelin pretty alright for a hot minute...playin destiny on pc, butter smooth all settings maxed, 1080p 60fps plus....then after a bit of frustration not leveling past 20 one of us googled "when/how does a player level past 20 in destiny 2".... I remember in destiny 1, if you didn't own the dlc you could still level up to like 28 vs 32 for dlc owners or something along those lines (and if you got lucky with zur im pretty sure you could get higher then 30 but i can't remember entirely as its been a couple years since ive played). I stopped playing Destiny 1 before its final DLC so im not sure if this disparity eventually became far more significant but it wasn't the case when i was playing. I was pretty confident based on my experience with Destiny 1, there was absolutely no way they would separate dlc owners vs non dlc owners by 25+ levels....then the google results came back.

I understand that some hardcore destiny 2 players will probably look at this and say something along the lines of "those levels dont matter" or "you can still do x or y despite being level capped at 20".... but thats not the point to me. Part of the experience of playing an rpg/mmo, is the leveling experience...and when im less then 8 hrs into the game and runnin around at my max level while i see guys in the same zones as me at level 50, i feel like im missing out on a majority of the game despite if thats a reality or not. I don't like being reminded (or at the very least, given the impression) that im only playing 30% of a game.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
D2Y1 was a regression from the Rise of Iron.
And in some ways, D2Y2, although overall improved from Y1, includes some strange decisions that are a regression from D2Y1.
It's like they can't improve the game in all facets

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of the content is still accessible to all players without the annual pass.

The annual pass is two things,

1. The insurance of flow of activities, forges etc

2. Continuation of the endgame

There is still Faction rallies and trials to returns.

Why are so many desperate to sign this game's death warrant?

Destiny has been dead now since 2014

Last edited:

Dunk

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Spot on. When i started playing the base game not too long ago i noticed my level cap was 20 while everyone else was running around at level 50. My buddy and I hit 20 in what seemed like no time at all, we did a couple main story missions, ran around on patrol for a while and did some of the quests you receive in the open world...Things were feelin pretty alright for a hot minute...playin destiny on pc, butter smooth all settings maxed, 1080p 60fps plus....then after a bit of frustration not leveling past 20 one of us googled "when/how does a player level past 20 in destiny 2".... I remember in destiny 1, if you didn't own the dlc you could still level up to like 28 vs 32 for dlc owners or something along those lines (and if you got lucky with zur im pretty sure you could get higher then 30 but i can't remember entirely as its been a couple years since ive played). I stopped playing Destiny 1 before its final DLC so im not sure if this disparity eventually became far more significant but it wasn't the case when i was playing. I was pretty confident based on my experience with Destiny 1, there was absolutely no way they would separate dlc owners vs non dlc owners by 25+ levels....then the google results came back.

I understand that some hardcore destiny 2 players will probably look at this and say something along the lines of "those levels dont matter" or "you can still do x or y despite being level capped at 20".... but thats not the point to me. Part of the experience of playing an rpg/mmo, is the leveling experience...and when im less then 8 hrs into the game and runnin around at my max level while i see guys in the same zones as me at level 50, i feel like im missing out on a majority of the game despite if thats a reality or not. I don't like being reminded (or at the very least, given the impression) that im only playing 30% of a game.

It seems like you don't want to listen to anybody. You have preemptively told everybody not to tell you that character level means little to nothing and you can max it out in a few days. Your level restricts what power level gear you can equip, and all that really matters is the average power level of all your gear and armor.

The core content remains accessible to everybody without the DLCs, and future expansions always include updates that all can enjoy

See image below for the Forsaken roadmap

https://i.imgur.com/yEzFmNy.jpg

yEzFmNy.jpg