• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Do not start playing if you're thinking this is a game good by playing alone. You need friends for this game

Yeup. Realized this after forsaken then was like uhhh welp theres all my money gone.

Story stuff is fun providing you have all the expansions but that's about it (if you have no friends this is)

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
OT, but Shit I didn't know you had an account here, what's up Tom? I dig your articles on The Verge
Just seen this, but thanks :)

I'm a massive Destiny 2 fan, like massive. I'm also prepped for Shadowkeep:

nPCnxpH.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
S'matter with strikes?

er35Y3W.png
Nothing, tbh. I actually really enjoy them to chill out to.

I actually asked a similar question in that OT very recently and got no response from anyone, so I can't blame them for making a thread.
Not every single post is going to get answered... but you could quote yourself after a page or so and ask again, Ior even jump into the discord and ask.

Making a thread is fine too, ofc, but I'm pretty sure it's not common that posts just get ignored.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Not every single post is going to get answered... but you could quote yourself after a page or so and ask again, Ior even jump into the discord and ask.

Making a thread is fine too, ofc, but I'm pretty sure it's not common that posts just get ignored.

Yeah, I probably should've, but I didn't want to seem like I was spamming the thread with my request if no one answered, that and given the recent State of the Game posts from Bungie, most discussion has been geared towards that, so I can't really blame anyone for missing it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I probably should've, but I didn't want to seem like I was spamming the thread with my request if no one answered, that and given the recent State of the Game posts from Bungie, most discussion has been geared towards that, so I can't really blame anyone for missing it.
The discord is the best place for quick questions anyway, you should join us if you haven't already!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 is fucking awesome so the answer is yes and it has been yes for quite a while -- at least since Forsaken came out.

I went from someone who once thought Destiny was a joke to someone who really admires the creativity and quality and artistry that is in the game. I even like the story and lore now. It's a great thing Bungie has built up

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped back into this at the beginning of the summer.
Have some mates and Between the and D2 era discord I'm having a great time.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Thank you.

Do you or anyone else know what will happen if I buy the game now and then it goes F2P in October, do I lose the stuff? Or do owners of the retail version get a bonus come October?
If you buy now, you'll have access to all of the Forsaken seasons. Those wouldn't come with Shadowkeep, so buying now would be the right play if you want to experience any of the good Y2 content and season-locked weapons/armor.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, still seems to be true if there's no matchmaking for at least the basic story missions. I guess D2 is still not for me.

If you still haven't jumped in at this point because of lack of Mm in certain sections of the game, then maybe this game just isn't for you. I've been playing Destiny mostly solo for years, and it never is an issue, thanks to discord and the phone app.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
What do you mean functionally free? As in you can reacquire them from the collections? I've been afraid to use up my shaders lol.
Yes, exactly. They can be reacquired from collections from next to nothing.

Hmm, still seems to be true if there's no matchmaking for at least the basic story missions. I guess D2 is still not for me.
There is no aspect of the base story that requires or suggests needing someone to play with. Most do all of that solo.

Only pinnacle activities require you to show up with a team in tow. 90% of the game is solo-able (with non-pinnacle group activities facilitated through matchmaking).

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To play through the story with a team? What kind of question is this lol.

The story missions are pretty mindless. There is no utilization of any sort of team play in any of it. It's a weird demand. You could at least complain about something more typical, like uh, no matchmaking in raids.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The story missions are pretty mindless. There is no utilization of any sort of team play in any of it. It's a weird demand. You could at least complain about something more typical, like uh, no matchmaking in raids.

Raids not having matchmaking I can understand due to pretty heavy teamwork and coordination required, but other content not having it is pretty inexcusable no matter what Destiny diehards think. Yes, I know story missions are mindless, but so were Strikes and that had matchmaking, so I dunno. I have limited time to organise groups so I was hoping for MM to do that for me.

Anyway I was just wondering if it would be the time to jump back in for me and the answer is no, thanks for the replies.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope you enjoy it, OP. But be careful you don't get sucked in and play so much that you burn yourself out. I played pretty much nonstop throughout year 1, but I ended up hitting my limit right after Forsaken came out, and I just haven't been able to go back.

And it's more of a personal problem but I got tired of not being able to do certain activities on my own and having to rely on help. I was with the xbox group for a while but I messed up a few times in raid lairs and felt like I was a burden. Yeah, all in my head most likely, I know. But still, it's gotten to where nowadays if I can't do it solo I won't do it.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I started playing it recently. I really liked the PVP aspects of the game, but grew pretty tired of the campaign and strikes fairly quick.

The game will be free to play pretty soon, much like the thing we got on PS+. That really is a lot of content, and plenty enough to get a solid idea of whether the game is for you or not.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Raids not having matchmaking I can understand due to pretty heavy teamwork and coordination required, but other content not having it is pretty inexcusable no matter what Destiny diehards think. Yes, I know story missions are mindless, but so were Strikes and that had matchmaking, so I dunno. I have limited time to organise groups so I was hoping for MM to do that for me.

Anyway I was just wondering if it would be the time to jump back in for me and the answer is no, thanks for the replies.

Story missions are filler SOLOABLE content to the real content. Waste of resources developing matchmaking for just that

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
You are going to be overwhelmed with content like I am at the moment and I played up to Warmind previously when I took a break.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been good to jump in since the Forsaken expansion.

It's also a good single player game if you just like relaxing and listening to music or podcasts.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This helps a ton. Thank you. It's $40 right now. Is that the lowest it goes or does it go on sale for a lower price occasionally?
I believe this is the lowest it has been and would be a good pickup to get a head start on future new players and to get some of the really good Y2 exotics and pinnacle weapons, many of which should be meta come October.

With all the base game content plus 7 seasons of expanded content and activities, you will have no shortage of things to do. We can assure you of that much.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I jumped in just a few months ago. It's been great. It has amazing single player and multiplayer content. It's a well balanced FPSMMO

P.S. Play on PC

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Well, that's a good excuse lol.

What platform are you on, btw?

PC, though I play Destiny 1 on Xbox. I've been a Halo fan since CE and have been interested in Destiny since Bungie first announced it, but high school and college work, poor internet connection, finances, other games, and the general complaints that follow Destiny (D1 launch being iffy, improved with Taken King and Rise of Iron, but then D2 started poorly, coupled with expensiveness of Expansions + Season Pass, though now improved with Forsaken) have kept me from really diving in too much.

Luckily most of those are over now, but I just moved and am starting my new job soon, so we'll see how much time I have lol. Good to know that I'll need to buy both Forsaken and Shadowkeep once I've made it that far. Hopefully there'll be a sale on Forsaken with the launch of Shadowkeep.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I believe this is the lowest it has been and would be a good pickup to get a head start on future new players and to get some of the really good Y2 exotics and pinnacle weapons, many of which should be meta come October.

With all the base game content plus 7 seasons of expanded content and activities, you will have no shortage of things to do. We can assure you of that much.
One last question if you don't mind. Do I need to do the raids to get the exotics and pinnacle stuff? In Destiny 1 (put a lot of hours into it), you had to play the raids to get the best gear. Is that still the case? I normally don't subscribe to PS+ so it might be a limiting point for me. Still strongly considering it though.

Oct 29, 2017
YES! Always a great time to jump in. Plus Shadowkeep comes out in October, and new content on the horizon is always an exciting time to be a part of the Destiny community. Jump on in for suuuuure

astro

Oct 25, 2017
PC, though I play Destiny 1 on Xbox. I've been a Halo fan since CE and have been interested in Destiny since Bungie first announced it, but high school and college work, poor internet connection, finances, other games, and the general complaints that follow Destiny (D1 launch being iffy, improved with Taken King and Rise of Iron, but then D2 started poorly, coupled with expensiveness of Expansions + Season Pass, though now improved with Forsaken) have kept me from really diving in too much.

Luckily most of those are over now, but I just moved and am starting my new job soon, so we'll see how much time I have lol. Good to know that I'll need to buy both Forsaken and Shadowkeep once I've made it that far. Hopefully there'll be a sale on Forsaken with the launch of Shadowkeep.
Yeh, I get that. I went through a period last year with super focused work and a terrible internet connection, it put me off playing so much.

And I'm right there with you in terms of being a long time fan. I've been wanting Halo or a Halo like on PC since the Halo CE port way back when, and Destiny really scratched that itch. D2 is in such a great place right now, and as a new player you will have so much content for your money. I recently switched from ps4 to PC and had to start over, and I had such a great time catching up. With all the improvements and additions they're bringing, this is a great time to jump in too.

I'm always down for grouping on PC, and we have a really friendly and active community here. See you in the discord mate!