• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
yeah the only thing I can think of with the Sony side is they are thinking, We paid alllll this cash to Activision to lock away this content from other platforms, we aren't going to allow that to move to other platforms.

I honestly thought they would have allowed it this far into the generation. I'm still holding out hope.

Those exclusive are only temporary (one year) so that isn't the reason. Come September there will be no more PS exclusive content regardless of this move.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I might be mistaken but the pack of D2+Forsaken was like $19.99 a few months back. Suppose that after the dust settles on the actual Annual Pass, that will be the new asking price.

Of course the game isn't going to drop in price like $10 or so, but having the first expansions and the core game to get yourself started at the price of free is pretty good IMO because of this:
Ah. I didn't know this. I dropped Destiny 2 shortly after completing the main story and never really kept up with it. I tried to get back in not too long ago, but all of the DLC was still at full price on the PS Store. It's a good deal for sure imo.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
My main point didn't have to do with consoles vs streaming. What I'm saying is that the main incentive for anyone to choose one platform over the other right now is what their friends are playing on. If you remove this parameter then it's going to be about the hardware, the services and the exclusives which is how it used to be a few generations back. This is a drastic change on the current business model and the reason why Sony is taking it slow. Sony will adapt and is preparing for it (they have some of the most competent studios in the industry), but until then, Sony will keep milking this cow.

I don't really know. I thought this as well last gen, but then Sony came in and sold 100 million PS4s.
A lot of people became multi-platform gamers or switched. A lot of the above was just icing on the cake apparently.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, this is huge. I stopped playing a little before Forsaken. I'll definitely come back now!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this will have much impact if people still have to pay for Forsaken + Year 2 Season Pass for $60-70 and then Shadowkeep for $40.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Now people can have their time wasted by Bungie for free. Fuck you for nerfing Luna's.

I played some comp yesterday with my Luna. Luna still works great, I'd argue it's even better as a 150. Doesn't feel changed to me except you can't spam shots anymore

But I guess you're already convinced. Bye

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is losing sight of what's important, again. These signs are not re-assuring going into next gen.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I kinda feel like they should remake Destiny 1 and 2 into one big scifi epic for next gen with all previous raids and content upgraded for next gen plus cross save and crossplay with matchmaking. Also they could fix the story finally

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I`m not surprised tbh. With the release of Forsaken, the price for the main game dropped drastically and the game even ended up in PS Plus and Humble Bundle. Bungie+Activision wanted to get new players on board, players who then pay 60 to 100 bucks for the new content. So with Destiny (main game) going F2P, Bungie still sticks to the same tactic...

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The complaint for years has been the lack of meaningful loot and Bungie putting cool shit on Eververse. Now everything will be on Eververse. If this is true, this game has become an even bigger joke.

What? The only thing on eververse is cosmetics. All the meaningful loot drops regularly. There is meaningful loot all over the place from legendary pinnacle weapons to exotic quests with amazing rewards. Your argument makes no sense.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, this is a megaton. An added bonus is the game being on Steam means cheaper keys from places like CDKEYS.

Nov 14, 2017
Erm the Ikolos Shotgun and the Exotics are still used to this day
IKELOS is OK, but you really want Threat Level. The exotics are still useful. None of the activities are that relevant in terms of content though; people still do the Y1 raids occasionally but it's pretty hard to find a good team for them if nobody on your friends list feels like doing it.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Bungie is hosting a Destiny 2 stream today at 10AM Pacific / 1PM Eastern to reveal the next expansion and their plans for the game going forward, but Engadget accidentally put their news article up early. I don't want to just copy and paste the whole article, so here's a summary:

• The game is being renamed to Destiny 2: New Light
  • Once Shadowkeep launches on September 17th, the base game will go free-to-play and include "all year one content, including "foundational modes, activities and rewards."" So you'll be able to play the base game, as well as the content added as part of the Curse of Osiris and Warmind expansions, for free
  • "This represents a change for the Destiny franchise as it seeks to lure gamers away from popular free titles like Fortnite. Previously, players paid upfront for the game and bought big expansions to gain access to new raids, missions and in-game items, either separately or as an annual pass subscription. Now, the core game will stay free, while additional content will be made available in the form of paid "à la carte" offerings like Shadowkeep."
  • Going forward, no more content will be made exclusive to one platform over others. All platforms will have the same access to all new content at the same time
  • Cross-save will be added for Xbox One, PC, and Google Stadia. No PS4 support for now
  • Soon, the game will move from Battle.net to Steam on PC. Existing Battle.net players will be able to migrate all characters and purchases over to the Steam version once this happens
This should all be officially announced in a few hours.

I'm so happy, holy fuck so so so happy

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How much is the yearly? expansions going to be you guys think?
Probably $30 - $40 USD like in the past. They're also apparently continuing the trend of having paid seasons like with the Annual Pass, but instead of paying for them up front, you just buy a pass for the season(s) you actually want. Ought to know the specifics in a few hours.

Oct 25, 2017
Is part of this due to Bungie and Activision ending their partnership? Interesting if Bungie has managed to retain all the rights to the game and is free to move it to any platform(s) that it wants (removing from Battle.net and putting it on Steam).
I'm pretty sure their deal with Activision predicated on them keeping their IP rights

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect the steam announcement. That's very cool. Now I don't need to use glosc just to get my controller working. Unfortunately, not surprised that Sony isn't participating. Hopefully enough pressure will change that relatively soon so that I can play with my friend

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

this is HHUUUGGGEEEE

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Although I had this for free on bnet I'm going to buy and play it on Steam. Great news.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I hated on Destiny for the grind and the season passes. I hope this new Bungie/Destiny is different because I'd love to start playing again. The gameplay was fun, I just hated the whole season pass and moving forward stuff.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So does this mean D3 will be free to play?
I personally wouldn't be surprised if there just isn't a Destiny 3. With any luck, they'll instead release a new client that combines the content of D1 and D2, and then just focus on adding to that going forward. Would also be nice since it could coincide with the next-gen consoles. Probably a ways off if they do end up doing that, and it's just speculation, but god do I want it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to swallow the 90 gig bullet to try it out (it's probably over 100 by now), I hope when they change it to F2P that they don't require you to download the DLC stuff.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
There is a reason why everyone else that's doing it is on the losing side though (or in the case of Nintendo targets a completely different audience). Sony will adapt eventually, but until then, they don't see why they have to throw so much money away.
This. I didn't want to say it out of fear of getting knocked with a board warning, but this is essentially it. If MS had its way at the beginning of the generation, we wouldn't be hearing a peep out of them about cross play.

Again, I've always been of a mind that cross SAVES shouldn't be blocked, though. Sony definitely needs to come off that high horse. If somebody has a PC and PS4, chances are they're gonna migrate over to that anyhow. Might as well make the transition as smooth as possible for them.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
This. I didn't want to say it out of fear of getting knocked with a board warning, but this is essentially it. If MS had its way at the beginning of the generation, we wouldn't be hearing a peep out of them about cross play.

Again, I've always been of a mind that cross SAVES shouldn't be blocked, though. Sony definitely needs to come off that high horse. If somebody has a PC and PS4, chances are they're gonna migrate over to that anyhow. Might as well make the transition as smooth as possible for them.

To the bolded above does that even matter? when EVERYONE else is playing together and PlayStation isn't included it's a bad look.

Oct 28, 2017
I have yet to swallow the 90 gig bullet to try it out (it's probably over 100 by now), I hope when they change it to F2P that they don't require you to download the DLC stuff.

Considering you could potentially meet up with players who have DLC weapons and armour, you will need to download the DLC, or at the very least, compatibility packs.