• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/player-count

The total daily population for June 16 sits at 1.01 million, with 963,000 players in PvE, 472,000 in Crucible, 319,000 in Gambit, and 139,000 raiding. (Obviously, some players are hopping into multiple activity types.) The data comes from the Charlemagne bot (via Pyro Gaming) and is pretty consistent over the past week – though naturally, the weekends are slightly more populous than weekdays.

More broadly, we know that Destiny encompassed around six million monthly active users by the end of 2018 – just before Bungie bought back the rights to the series and split with Activision. The publisher reported in recent financial results a loss of 12 million monthly active users over the previous quarter, and "around half" of that number is accounted for by the loss of the series.

Every thread about Destiny ends up with people who have not been paying attention talking about how the game is dead. Here are some numbers that show its current state is alive and thriving.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I love playing through destiny 2 content only once and then dropping it until it more content comes out. I never grind, but I also don't always see all the end game content

Anyone else play like this?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NEVER MIND. I misread.

Removing this so I dont have reply notifications for the next 3 days,

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I knew they brought the game back up with Forsaken in 2018, but I wasn't expecting that level of reception.

Good on Bungie, the future is looking good for them with the things they're saying and teasing.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
This game been offered free to claim on PC battlenet back in November, free as a PS+ offering and the game can be had for super cheap for a long time now on all 3 platforms

Still alright numbers for a big budget triple A game by Activision but can't leave out what helped them get there

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
It's also pretty amazing what a success Gambit has been. For a new mode to come out so late in the game and almost reach Crucible numbers on a regular basis is a huge success.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Really great. Maybe I should jump back in (dropped around Christmas 17)

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be very interested in what happens to those numbers after the game goes F2P, and if it can keep them high. I'm playing it every day right now and its definitely not dead on PC. Always enough people to do activities and things like The Farm and the Traveler are always full of people goofing with emotes and generally chatting.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Adding up all modes and totaling the numbers as each player = 1 player total seems flawed.

If you are the kinda player who logs in to do the dailies then wouldnt you be jumping between PvP and PvE? And I bet the percentage that does that is a whole lot more then "some players"

Re-read it. Those numbers add up to way more than 1 million. This was accounted for.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Adding up all modes and totaling the numbers as each player = 1 player total seems flawed.

If you are the kinda player who logs in to do the dailies then wouldnt you be jumping between PvP and PvE? And I bet the percentage that does that is a whole lot more then "some players"

Even near 1m DAUs is good, if you just look at the PvE number.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
This actually looks good for a game that old. It's finally good to see this turning around and it'll get even bigger when it goes Free to Play.

These are very very good numbers.

Activision had no sense expectations.

Activision probably expected way more. This with the pitiful job going on Black Ops 4, it really seems like they don't know what they're doing and I'm glad Bungie got the rights back from them.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
1 mill daily users, 6 mill monthly users, and only 45,000 cleared the new raid week one

flex on em

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In that weird limbo where I'm kind of interested to get back in but I might as well wait for the DLC

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I love playing through destiny 2 content only once and then dropping it until it more content comes out. I never grind, but I also don't always see all the end game content

This is exactly how I play. I hardly ever do Raids cause I don't grind to the level needed, but I always have fun.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Paging Carolina Reaper & Trim for their spicy takes on why this is bad

10d0bb62826710f5ca02b16909d51ea818c19cbd_00.gif

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018

Yeah, I haven't even picked up some of the new content yet, but I played through the main campaign and pretty much dropped it.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
So, for someone who played Forsaken at launch, but missed the DLC, is it worth to get the season pass (Black Armoury, etc.) or wait till September for Shadowkeep?

Most of my friends dropped the game right now, but are willing to return to Shadowkeep.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the raid is usually more attainable through weeks 3 &4 usually unless you really want/have time to grind. I kind of hope the menagerie is a template to get more people into raids. Maybe have a more basic match made version and the normal raid.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 is in a really good spot after the extremely lackluster and super grindy Season of Gambit. SoO added a really fun activity with the ability to get the gear you want. I still haven't tried the raid yet.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'll be very interested in what happens to those numbers after the game goes F2P, and if it can keep them high. I'm playing it every day right now and its definitely not dead on PC. Always enough people to do activities and things like The Farm and the Traveler are always full of people goofing with emotes and generally chatting.
I mean those numbers will be in full public view once it hits steam. I'm expecting fully to see it hit PUBG numbers and stay there.

Oct 25, 2017
For such a long time since the original release, and such an outdated DLC structure that requires a bit of more money to catch up (that will soon change), those are seriously good numbers.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So, for someone who played Forsaken at launch, but missed the DLC, is it worth to get the season pass (Black Armoury, etc.) or wait till September for Shadowkeep?

Most of my friends dropped the game right now, but are willing to return to Shadowkeep.
Wait until September and buy black armory seperately, you can skip season of the drifter's Jokers wild dlc

Though I'm not sure if Outlook Perfected's Zero Hour is part of the season...(things non dlc owners get for free like seasonal events) or if it's part of the paid content.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I mean those numbers will be in full public view once it hits steam. I'm expecting fully to see it hit PUBG numbers and stay there.

Yeah Steam release will be nice just for the fact we can see active daily users. I'm buying the game again in Steam once it comes out in Sept.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
These are very very good numbers.

Activision had no sense expectations.
Activision is only content with home runs, with games that make hundreds of millions of dollars. Solo Bungie is just fine making millions or tens of millions. Their split is a win for everyone, especially players.

Oct 26, 2017
I've come back as of last week though it's not the same without my old D1 crew who have long since abandoned the game.

Let me ask this: the annual pass is $15 on XBL this week. At this point, is it worth it?

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah Steam release will be nice just for the fact we can see active daily users. I'm buying the game again in Steam once it comes out in Sept.
We can already see daily active from the Bungie API; the thing Steam adds is PC concurrent users.

PC comprises roughly a quarter of the population, so Steam x 4 will probably be a decent estimate of overall concurrent users.

Oct 28, 2017
Activision is only content with home runs, with games that make hundreds of millions of dollars. Solo Bungie is just fine making millions or tens of millions. Their split is a win for everyone, especially players.

I still think its the wildest of shit that Activision killed Guitar Hero because it didn't make enough money. It made money, just not enough. It was their biggest cash cow right alongside Call of Duty but didn't have the ability to keep breaking records, just pulling in steady streams of cash equal to the last.

Rat bastards of capitalism.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's quite impressive.
I'm sure they had their reasons but it's kinda crazy that Activision would let that go.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

The game is in a really good spot right now The season pass is worth it for the weapons from the armory and playing through Scourge of the Past raid.

Destiny 2 is in a really good spot after the extremely lackluster and super grindy Season of Gambit. SoO added a really fun activity with the ability to get the gear you want. I still haven't tried the raid yet.

Now, if only they would let us choose which perks out weapons got....

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So the $300 is hyperbole but

Base Destiny, however much that is if you weren't privledged enough to get it free on PS4 or PC free for a week
$40 for curse of Osirus and Warmind
$40 for Forsaken? I think?
$35 for the annual pass
Another $40 for Shadow keep
Plus another $40 for that annual pass
If they were still doing it the confusing Activision way.

So yeah, they even poked fun of that model themselves.

Being able to download the game and be playing the Leviathan raid with in the hour with friends is a great deal.
To catch up today to the current content, it's $40 for Frosaken + the pass (they're combined now) plus whatever you can find D2 for if you didn't get it free last year. $20 or less, possibly $10.

So, no, not $300.

Shit, even if you preordered Shadowkeep plus its full seasons pass, it's $60 more. the base cost is $35 for that and then the pass for the following 3 seasons is $25 on top of that.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've come back as of last week though it's not the same without my old D1 crew who have long since abandoned the game.

Let me ask this: the annual pass is $15 on XBL this week. At this point, is it worth it?
It's a bit too grindy at times but it's definitely worth it. Some of the best weapons and modes are from the annual pass. It's a steal at $15.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Well that's the beautiful thing about not needed to re buy the game :P.

Since it's clearly going to be linking your bungie account and your dlc purchases are probably going to be transferred too.