• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I killed a bunch of invaders over 3 rounds of gambit while having this argument. :p

Its amazing when you go for a melee and the target sidesteps/jumps, and you don't know where it went.
It really is and I don't understand why we aren't given an option to increase it. I mean if our camera zooms out when we're holding a sword/orb/whatever, surely it can be increased to at least that much right? It's kind of mind-boggling.

This is exactly what inspired that post.

This is so true, it happened all the damn time.

I was in love with throwing hammers when they first came out, but tracking where they landed was a total shit show on console.

I couldn't go back to 30fps even if I was forced to. PC Destiny is just a much better experience. So much smoother, looks better, more features and text chat. There's just no downside, especially now that cross save will be a feature and you don't have to worry about losing your progress.
I've said this before, and I'll say it a hundred times...

No Hyperbole: Destiny 2 on PC is a completely different experience.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I also want to say, 1KV is just fucking brutal in Gambit. It melts everything at ridiculous speeds.

Although it feels hit or miss vs invaders... I tried during an invasion and melted one, then hit another at the same idstance and it only took half their shields... maybe I missed... honestly though, I prefer using my Blast Furnace unless they come at me directly with a HW.

Lots of AFKs atm due to the event, pretty crap.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Bungie needs to seriously do something about AFK players. I'm seeing it in literally everything these days. Strikes, Gambit, Crucible, etc. What the hell is the point of playing the game if you don't actually want to play the game? You wanna go off and cheese something then fine since at least you're actively playing, but using a macro to AFK just to get rewards because you don't feel like playing is just fucking stupid. Don't buy the game then.

Dec 2, 2017
Low key though, Horror Story is still one of my favorite guns. For the flavor of it, for the Halloween-y-ness of it (I slapped an orange shader on it and everything). You NEVER see it, so I have half a mind to pull it out of the ol' vault and flail miserably with it in PvP just for the fun of it lol
Yep. My titan is under levelled so I've been rolling with that, it was easily my favourite legendary auto in the game. Breakneck made it kinda obsolete, but it wins in the personality department and still feels great.

The Train is a chance at salvation. Take it.

Destiny%202%20Drifter%20Tape%20Locations.jpg

*Citizen Kane applauding*

It takes me like 10 hits to kill someone with cut and run. Meanwhile all these OHKO weapons.

I have all these good rolls on it in my vault, and I'm always like "this is gonna be awesome" but then it's never awesome and it's weird.

Invading without heavy seems stupid as hell and a nice way to throw the game.

If you're a dedicated invader, running with Izanagi, another sniper or something like Arbalest makes a whole ton of sense, and as hit scan weapons they're better than rockets. I prefer to save my heavy slot for DPS weapons, covering both bases helps my team a whole lot more.

I do agree that invading is way too overpowered in Gambit. I get it-the point is to kill the other team. But for the invader it's all reward and no risk.

How often do you invade though? I have 8 infamy resets and I can tell you, it's super easy for a coordinated team to A) guess which one of two points you're spawning in at, and B) call out your exact location the second you get your first kill.

If someone's consistently getting multi kills, it's because they're good, or the opponents are inexperienced.

People who get surprised by invades and die in the first seconds just don't look at the bar of motes at the top middle of the screen.

This. Not to put too fine a point on it because I'm hardly a Gambit god, but I do play it daily to complete every bounty - a lot of this invader grumbling reads like people who don't play the mode that often.

You can call out exactly when an invasion's about to happen.

I know I'm playing with good teammates when they see the opposing team holding 20-30 motes and one or two players converge on the bank to clear the blockers that are about to hit so everything can be safely deposited before the invader jumps in right after them.

Does anyone know what the consensus "god roll" is for a bow? I looked online and it's all over the place.

Hush. It's just Hush.

Last edited:

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Bungie needs to seriously do something about AFK players. I'm seeing it in literally everything these days. Strikes, Gambit, Crucible, etc. What the hell is the point of playing the game if you don't actually want to play the game? You wanna go off and cheese something then fine since at least you're actively playing, but using a macro to AFK just to get rewards because you don't feel like playing is just fucking stupid. Don't buy the game then.
It's worse on PC because they can use scripts to just simulate actual gameplay so it's impossible to tell they're AFK unless people report them. You'll see them walk right for a second, then left, then forward, then back, then melee, then fire a gun then reload.

In my rush to grind out that "complete 10 gambit matches" thing for the solstice armor, I ran into the SAME guy using scripts 5 times and 4 of those times, he was on my team.

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Bungie pls let me adjust FoV on console. I'll take reduced graphics quality. Ffs

Everyone here asking for a change in FOV: this is something that I think they can't just flip a switch to do it.
The game runs (mostly) at 30fps and it seems to keep it very constant. They must have made a lot of adjustments and concessions to achieve this on consoles. Changing the FOV means the camera would have to render "more" at all times, it would also probably change how LODs appear, buffers for several effects are done, etc. So a lot of tuning to all the content across the entire game would have to be made to ensure that with a wider FOV the game would not constantly dip to lower FPS.

In other news, I don't miss wider FOVs. I really hate how games look when you go super wide.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone here asking for a change in FOV: this is something that I think they can't just flip a switch to do it.
The game runs (mostly) at 30fps and it seems to keep it very constant. They must have made a lot of adjustments and concessions to achieve this on consoles. Changing the FOV means the camera would have to render "more" at all times, it would also probably change how LODs appear, buffers for several effects are done, etc. So a lot of tuning to all the content across the entire game would have to be made to ensure that with a wider FOV the game would not constantly dip to lower FPS.

In other news, I don't miss wider FOVs. I really hate how games look when you go super wide.
Swords work though...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Hush. It's just Hush.
I came across this kind of comment many times along my journey through Reddit and YouTube. Is it ACTUALLY that good? Because if it's that good then I would suffer the grind for it if I had to, but Gambit is literally the worst part of Destiny in my opinion right now and i would would rather commando crawl butt naked across a floor made broken glass and sand paper instead of subjecting myself to any kind of Gambit "grind" unless the thing I get at the end is god tier.

So is the Hush god tier?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I came across this kind of comment many times along my journey through Reddit and YouTube. Is it ACTUALLY that good? Because if it's that good then I would suffer the grind for it if I had to, but Gambit is literally the worst part of Destiny in my opinion right now and i would would rather commando crawl butt naked across a floor made broken glass and sand paper instead of subjecting myself to any kind of Gambit "grind" unless the thing I get at the end is god tier.

So is the Hush god tier?

It's a bow. No bow is god tier lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
How often do you invade though? I have 8 infamy resets and I can tell you, it's super easy for a coordinated team to A) guess which one of two points you're spawning in at, and B) call out your exact location the second you get your first kill.

If someone's consistently getting multi kills, it's because they're good, or the opponents are inexperienced.

This. Not to put too fine a point on it because I'm hardly a Gambit god, but I do play it daily to complete every bounty - a lot of this invader grumbling reads like people who don't play the mode that often.

You can call out exactly when an invasion's about to happen.

I know I'm playing with good teammates when they see the opposing team holding 20-30 motes and one or two players converge on the bank to clear the blockers that are about to hit so everything can be safely deposited before the invader jumps in right after them.

Well said.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Okay let me rephrase then.

For a bow is it god tier?

Because the Trinity Ghoul is my favorite exotic and I really REALLY like bows.

I'd say yea. The pretty much instant draw speed makes it better than pretty much every other bow, especially in crucible. Certainly not worth the amount of Gambit you have to play to get it though. At least not to me.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Talking about Gambit and invades I know my life got a lot easier once I started carrying a sniper nearly every match. This is and of itself took some practice and was definitely a learning process as I started out D2 as a rather poor/inexperienced sniper but after the last month or so would consider myself at least serviceable and able to hold my own.

If I see the enemy team is about to have 25/50/75 motes deposited I try to get to or make a safe area around me with appropriate cover. Once that portal opens and the invasion message appears I am usually scoped in across the map from where my team is actively looking for the invader. Even getting a body shot on the invader or a near miss is enough to usually slow them down and if I can get the precision hit then it's one and done and back to business. Truly great snipers can still give me and whole teams fits when they invade as they only seem to need a micro-second to get their kill shots but thankfully these types are rare and most invaders come in with LMG's which can be out-ranged by good sniper play.

Alternatively rolling with a shotgun and hugging cover and making the invader come to you can work and I've gotten a nice handful of kills this way but it's more risky, takes longer and there's no guarantee the invader isn't going to go kill your three blueberries first. Better to be aggressive with invaders and if all 4 team members are aggressive with the invader then they will be at a marked disadvantage most of the time.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'd say yea. The pretty much instant draw speed makes it better than pretty much every other bow, especially in crucible. Certainly not worth the amount of Gambit you have to play to get it though. At least not to me.
Okay then I will pass then. Because I have a subtle calamity that has rampage and explosive head that I really like that doesn't require me to drive myself insane via Gambit.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Look, I like bows, but they're only 2nd to scouts in terms of lackluster primary weapons in the game right now. Pulse Rifles and Hand cannons will likely always be the meta when it comes to primaries for the foreseeable future. Recluse is an outlier. No other SMG is that good.

Deleted member 58508

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 12, 2019

Swords, roaming supers, scorch cannons, orbs, batteries, and other items that we can pick up change the FoV without any problem at all. As I said, I would be fine with a decrease in graphics quality just to have the option to increase the FoV to the 3rd person FoV.

Dec 2, 2017

So is the Hush god tier?

My opinion right now is I legit think how complex it is and how it plays makes it the most interesting weapon in Destiny. Hush is a high skill floor weapon, but it's also got a crazy ceiling.

But I will not lie to you. I really like Gambit, and even then the grind for it was no joke.

I wrote this post about my experience with it and what I figured out about it last night. Once I clicked with what it was actually doing, it became obvious how far ahead of other legendaries it is:

I've been using Hush all day for solar reasons and wow, it's really grown on me. Once you start figuring it out it's maybe the most interesting weapon in Destiny, no lie. It really makes you consider multiple things at different points, there's more thought involved in fighting with it than anything else I can think of.

The initial hip fire shot can be really tough, especially here on console, which is why most people vault it pretty quick But I've found that going at a major first with a precision shot to stun it, then getting the easy hip fire shot to proc Archer's Gambit seems to be the way to go.

The speed you can fire it at is really teaching me a lot about bows. Up to this point I hadn't fully clued in to the fact that bows draw quicker from the hip than ADS. So the rhythm is like fire, back to hip, string, draw, ADS. Getting the timing perfect on this is tricky, but once you get into the perfect groove with it you can absolutely go off destroying whole mobs or DPSing. Pair it with bow loader gloves and it's incredible how fast you can get going with it.

Hush was the first thing I went after at the beginning of the season, and I didn't like it at all a first, but now I'm thinking this thing was absolutely worth the grind.

I've mostly used it for PvE, but I've also posted this video a couple of times. CoolGuy seemed to be the one reviewer who really figured it out in PvP, it seemed like it kind of went over most reviewers heads at first:

I like Trinity Ghoul and used it for a lot of the Hush grind, but the perk was just too inconsistent even after Bungie said they patchesd it so I switched to Monarque. It really comes down to Hush & Le Monarque for me with bows right now.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

I'd take the FoV when you use swords or emote or pickup object as default FoV, at the least.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Those Gambit matches are easily the worst part of the solstice armor grind. Finished my 2nd set yesterday and I felt like ripping my head off during those 10 Gambit matches. Matched against an entire team of AFK players to.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Does gambit prime work? I know there's no orbs, but I swear prime is faster than regular. First day on Tuesday saw reports that it doesn't count. Have not wanted to waste my time trying to find out

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be long, so if you skip this post, I completely understand.

I was an avid D1 player. I wasn't great, or even remotely good by any stretch, but I enjoyed playing, and I had a lot of fun with my clan (Team Sexy in the house.)

D2 came out and around that time, a lot of things were changing personally, as well as a couple of other games coming out. I didn't sink as much time into D2.

Forsaken came and went. I did the bare minimum and just missed season after season (skipped Black Armory completely) and only jumped back in now due to Solstice stuff. I see the armor and I'm almost done with the green but then I see the grind for blue and then masterworks and... I don't think I can do it.

In my entire time playing D2, I never did a single raid. I haven't even done a Nightfall. My triumph page is super patchy. I've already done some things this week, but as excited as I am for Shadowkeep, I'm wondering if it's all worth it now. (In terms of the game, not in terms of fun. It's always fun. Mostly. Fuck Gambit.)

And advice for a lone blueberry dad with pockets of time here and there?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they gave a choice so people aren't forced to play the mode they don't like. Otherwise they'll just afk, and unlike PvP there's no "safe for AFK" mode in Gambit. Its annoying af for people like me who genuinely enjoy Gambit and have to deal with afk'ers.

Dec 2, 2017
This is going to be long, so if you skip this post, I completely understand.

I was an avid D1 player. I wasn't great, or even remotely good by any stretch, but I enjoyed playing, and I had a lot of fun with my clan (Team Sexy in the house.)

D2 came out and around that time, a lot of things were changing personally, as well as a couple of other games coming out. I didn't sink as much time into D2.

Forsaken came and went. I did the bare minimum and just missed season after season (skipped Black Armory completely) and only jumped back in now due to Solstice stuff. I see the armor and I'm almost done with the green but then I see the grind for blue and then masterworks and... I don't think I can do it.

In my entire time playing D2, I never did a single raid. I haven't even done a Nightfall. My triumph page is super patchy. I've already done some things this week, but as excited as I am for Shadowkeep, I'm wondering if it's all worth it now. (In terms of the game, not in terms of fun. It's always fun. Mostly. Fuck Gambit.)

And advice for a lone blueberry dad with pockets of time here and there?

My advice as someone who finished it to anyone is don't rush the armour grind, it's not fun at times and would be infinitely more enjoyable if just done an hour or two a day. You can easily finish a set in 2 weeks that way, and you have until the end of August

My second piece of advice is group up at every step. It'll go a lot faster, and be way more enjoyable just having people to coordinate with to maximize orbs/bosses/chests, and just to hang out with. There are tons of people in Era Discord who are more than happy to instantly group up right now.

And if you're a dad don't sweat it, going by the number of times a guy I'm playing with has to get off the mic because his daughter just jumped in his lap, Destiny is huge with the dad demographic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand afking in a game like this.

Would rather run around like a fucking idiot doing random shit if its a mode i don't really care for but i need to play.

its a shooter and the shooting is actually pretty good so shoot but hey *shrug*

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
People were whining they had to win X amount of games in pvp modes, so they changed it to play X amount so they can AFK instead. Wish they would just go back to wins so everyone will at least try when they play the modes. Probably not gonna happen though. Game's getting more casual-friendly.

In terms of something like the Mountaintop quest, I won't be the one complaining. :d That quest is damn hard.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
it's not that I don't think I can grind out the 3 characters. It's that I don't want to. Hunter calling me though after warlock. Watch, if I have time I'll start Titan too, but will I finish 🤔

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I will never understand afking in a game like this.

Would rather run around like a fucking idiot doing random shit if its a mode i don't really care for but i need to play.

its a shooter and the shooting is actually pretty good so shoot but hey *shrug*

That's when I start working on catalysts or pkaying with different loadouts & guns; especially for something like gambit where there are waves of enemies.

Oct 25, 2017
If its a mode that needs all hands on deck (Comp, Raids, etc) and i'm not in the mood then i just don't do it. Usually those aren't explicitly required by the game.

That's when I start working on catalysts or pkaying with different loadouts & guns; especially for something like gambit where there are waves of enemies.

Yea i started the hush quest in earnest due to this so it was just myself running around with a bow killing blockers, enemies, invaders and being an invader if no one else on the team cares about invading LOL

I had also powered up my Fighting Lion Catalyst during the Wendingo quest because that thing needed a bunch of GL progress

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Just starting the grind and finished the helmet, do I have do do the whole set before getting the next tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.