• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm with the aquatic apex predator on this one,

NF/Luna were a problem for a very very long time, became fucking gatekeepers

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
Still working on the solar kills part for Luna. Still seems it's gonna be a good weapon after changes, so I'm finishing the quest.

Also, finally RNG blessed me with the getaway artist gauntlets for my warlock last night after a competitive match. Had a bit of fun with them in QP.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
Their optimal TTKs will be much easier to reach than other weapons, which will require more precision hits or kill clip activation to should be the best legendary 150s, full stop. Again, Magnificent Howl will mean they function as a 150 with kill clip always active as long as you hit 2 crits.

There are a handful of weapons that have a .8 second time to kill without kill clip required. 150s can already 3-tap, this just allows Luna/NF to 3-tap with a body shot.

The weapon was a pain in the ass to obtain and after the nerf will not be worth the effort it took to get it.

Cammycakes and gigz weighing in:

Nerfing these weapons was not the right move.

Last edited:

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
Luna user here. Pretty decent at crucible, too.

Luna's/NF nerfs were needed.

Their effective range thanks to MH being higher than most HCs, their better stability, and recoil, and their lack of bloom (on console, specifically) make them too strong of a choice.

Pinnacle crucible weapons are not supposed to be the best guns in the game. They are intended to fill a niche roll, that if leaned into, can be very powerful.

For example, Claymore/Broadsword. That gun is only great in the hands of a player that knows what they're doing -- one that can time their reloads and master laneing.

Mountaintop is great for laying traps down -- like trapping heavy, or trapping a corner.

There is, in general, strategic play required to make the guns shine.

Luna's/NF don't have that, and worse, they have some of the fastest TTKs in the game.

Instead of looking at this as a Nerf, folks should view it as all other weapons being brought up in viability.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
There are a handful of weapons that have a .8 second time to kill without kill clip required. 150s can already 3-tap, this just allows Luna/NF to 3-tap with a body shot.

The weapon was a pain in the ass to obtain and after the nerf will not be worth the effort it took to get it.

I dont understand what galaxy these people live in.

The solution to two hand cannons dominating is not to buff other hand cannons. Buff something else. This is literally a view by people who only think hand cannons exist in the game.

It doesn't even make surface sense.

That's like saying in Vanilla d1 "you know what, Mida is OP, the problem is there's too much flinch on 180 RPM scouts". It's not even logical on the surface.

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
Have they specifically stated this? Pinnacle and niche are literally opposites, but I wouldn't be surprised considering it is Bungie.

I think there's a bit of a misnomer here. They're pinnacle rewards. By that I mean, rewards for reaching the "pinnacle". Not that they're meant to be the absolute best in slot. Granted, this is my interpretation, but I think it tracks.

I was not ready. I cried like shark does after every pvp match.

The only bit that upsets me is how these two guns will have no PvE relevance at all now. It was small to begin with, sure, but they could output decent damage for a primary. Not the case anymore.

I mean, if the other guns still have the same issues as before, won't they still go unused in favor of others? You don't "make other guns viable" by nerfing some and leaving other flawed ones as is.

Of course you make other guns viable by nerfing things. That's the entire function of a nerf. One thing is too good, so it is brought in-line with other things so that others will have a chance.

Nov 14, 2017
Instead of looking at this as a Nerf, folks should view it as all other weapons being brought up in viability.

Except that's not happening at all. All the other 150s will still be bad on console because of the bloom; in fact why would you use a lightweight 150 when you can use a precision 150 that doesn't have bloom? If anything it will further cement NF/LH as the hand cannons of choice for PVP on console.
I dont understand what galaxy these people live in.

The solution to two hand cannons dominating is not to buff other hand cannons. Buff something else. This is literally a view by people who only think hand cannons exist in the game.

It doesn't even make surface sense.

That's like saying in Vanilla d1 "you know what, Mida is OP, the problem is there's too much flinch on 180 RPM scouts". It's not even logical on the surface.
It would just make the situation more comparable to how it is on PC, where LH/NF aren't even the best hand cannons - Ace of Spades is. Even on PC you can outplay someone with AoS if you have a pulse rifle, which I know you like to use. You just have to control your engagement range, which I understand you have issues with.
Do precision hand cannons suffer from bloom on console?
No, or at least, nowhere near to the same degree as other HC archetypes.

Last edited:

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
The main problem with the Luna/NF nerf (console) is they are fun to use, every other gun in the game is just functional and boring to play with. If bloom wasn't a thing TLW and Thorn would have stopped the nerf train ages ago,

Now crucible will pretty much be back to camping with pulses and people spamming Jotun across the map

They also never mentioned the fact that's there's probably more NF's in the game now because 99% of people who have it have used the connection glitch, same with people flaunting 50-0 medals

TLW and Ace will probably be nerfed next as they're even stronger than Luna's/NF on PC and Bungie aren't capable of balancing between PC and console

demi

Oct 27, 2017
like you have no fucking idea how glad this gun is getting the shit, no matter how small. they have to go for the health of the game.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
also joe blackburn and a narrative lead writer (jill?) are leaving bungie too. so that's pvp gone, raid gone, story gone... things are fine tho

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017
I'm talking about the movie. LOL.

Aw, shit. My bad!

Except that's not happening at all. All the other 150s will still be bad on console because of the bloom; in fact why would you use a lightweight 150 when you can use a precision 150 that doesn't have bloom? If anything it will further cement NF/LH as the hand cannons of choice for PVP on console.

HCs will still have issues, yes, but they are not the only weapons in the game. Luna's/NF have some of the craziest 3-tap potential in the sandbox -- 34 meters.

Most other HCs experience drop-off at 27-28 and have slower firing rates, more recoil, and better target acquisition.

I don't understand people who are defending these guns. I bled for my Luna's in comp primarily solo. I know it was a huge investment. The gun is still broken. It needed tweaked.

It would just make the situation more comparable to how it is on PC, where LH/NF aren't even the best hand cannons - Ace of Spades is. Even on PC you can outplay someone with AoS if you have a pulse rifle, which I know you like to use. You just have to control your engagement range, which I understand you have issues with.

1. Ace is an exotic.
2. Ace's current TTK is much higher than Luna's/NF.
3. Ace is more "difficult" to use compared to Luna's. More recoil, mor

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget Ace needs a kill for Momento Mori to proc.

No momento mori means Ace is just a most consistent handcannon ever.

That's why Shark's optimal ttk argument is such a strawman garbage.

Nov 14, 2017
Aw, shit. My bad!

HCs will still have issues, yes, but they are not the only weapons in the game. Luna's/NF have some of the craziest 3-tap potential in the sandbox -- 34 meters.

Most other HCs experience drop-off at 27-28 and have slower firing rates, more recoil, and better target acquisition.

I don't understand people who are defending these guns. I bled for my Luna's in comp primarily solo. I know it was a huge investment. The gun is still broken. It needed tweaked.

1. Ace is an exotic.
2. Ace's current TTK is much higher than Luna's/NF.
3. Ace is more "difficult" to use compared to Luna's. More recoil, mor
The other HC's don't have better target aquisition. They have bloom which makes your bullets go in a completely random direction. You can pace your shots, but in that case your TTK is terrible and you're better off using another weapon. The lack of bloom is why 180s are so good.

Your point about AoS being harder to use is fair, but the point is that the lack of bloom on PC means that it's considered better than LH/NF for players who are skilled enough to use it. The fact that it has a higher TTK is irrelevant because it has much more range, meaning you can win fights outside of LH/NF engagement range.

Hand cannon bloom is one of the worst things in Destiny. It's why HCs stopped being used Y2 of D1. It makes sense for fully automatic weapons like ARs or SMGs because the DPS loss of a few bullets going astray isn't too punishing. In the case of HCs though, it creates RNG gunfights.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also joe blackburn and a narrative lead writer (jill?) are leaving bungie too. so that's pvp gone, raid gone, story gone... things are fine tho

Oh no :( What is going on? What the writer mostly involved on? I really like the path the lore and narrative was going with forsaken and season of the drifter ;/

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Meh. More conjecture. Ultimately, we'll see soon enough. Bungie reserves the right to buff them again if need be, so we'll find out how this change goes soon enough. Hopefully Bungie is doing the testing necessary to make sure they get things in a good place. That's all we can do. If it isn't, we can provide that feedback.

But yes this will likely solidify Ace as the best hand cannon of any type on PC where it was already as good as or better than LH and NF. And The Last Word, of course. I expect that MagHowl weapons will be the most consistent 150s and the best legendary hand cannons, period. Vigil, Rations and similar have the classic recoil which makes them prone to missed shots.

I do agree that doing something about bloom would have been better given that appears to be the main issue and this was all a non issue on PC. Having never played on console, I can't identify but most console posters here have been complaining about bloom for a long time. On PC, these weapons never felt especially out of line.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a bit of a misnomer here. They're pinnacle rewards. By that I mean, rewards for reaching the "pinnacle". Not that they're meant to be the absolute best in slot. Granted, this is my interpretation, but I think it tracks.

Well, considering how these rewards have been designed so far in where they are very good, I think it's fair to say the weapons are supposed to be pinnacle. They're hard to get and most of the population won't get them. If they're not meant to be best in slot, what's the point?

Yes. The bloom isn't as bad as the other archetypes, but if you fire them at their listed ROF they become much more inaccurate.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Don't forget Ace needs a kill for Momento Mori to proc.

No momento mori means Ace is just a most consistent handcannon ever.

That's why Shark's optimal ttk argument is such a strawman garbage.

Poor poor hand cannons, guys they're so picked on (by picked on we mean always way better than anything else)!

Xuj9Pux.png

So much crying over a ttk going from .67>.80 (still like the best ttk in the game and there's zero doubt Lunas will still completely dominate on console)

And this is 100% all just because it's a hand cannon getting "nerfed". When MIda was strong everybody wanted it nerfed and when it did get nerfed nobody complained.

Bygones percent has just kept going lower and lower for months. Wouldn't be surprised to see the only non hand cannon primary in the top 5 drop off completely soon. Probably Thorn, The Last Word, Not Forgotten, or another hand cannon will take that spot.

BTW what other guns have a super powerful perk that doesn't require a kill besides Lunas Howl/Not Forgotten? Recluse doesn't. Memento maori is also pretty insanely OP. You're doing almost 100 damage a shot, and unlike kill clip or master of arms it lasts forever once procced until you fire those rounds. Memento Mori is a good example of a perk that's so powerful it would be absurd on any other class of weapon, but is somehow ok to be on a hand cannon

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i wonder if since i have fabled i should do that mountaintop thing? The steps actually dont seem as horrendous as I was led to believe.

Overall almost certainly wont, I'm just not into grenade launchers.

^^ Also LOL mtashed. That guy is such a drama queen.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I came up with what I feel is a decent idea:

The idea of "Crucible Bonds." Essentially what a crucible bond is, is that in order to use pinnacle weapons in crucible, you have to use a token which makes it useable for x amount of time. You have to apply this "buff" to each weapon, so it'll be 3x as costly to use 3 crucible weapons.

Essentially the benefit of this idea is:

A. No need for nerfs. The weapons are acknowledged as powerful. And get infinite use for PVE.

B. The economics at play make using these weapons a strategic thing. You don't want to waste bonds just to sweat in casual play and make it a miserable experience for other players (as is currently happening). You want to save bonds for the tougher teams in competitive playlists such as comp or trials.

C. Discourages account recoveries. Maybe you pay handsomly for a not forgotten, but you'll legitimately need to be good enough to have acquired it to commonly have enough bonds to use it for certain activities. Otherwise, you're going to have to keep paying people to earn you bonds.

Difficulty with this: Having quick reaction to the bond economy and hopefully launching the system in a good state. Bonds should be rare such that basically only streamers would have enough to comfortably use them in quickplay.

I also suggest tiered pricing for bonds. Legend guns: (Basically only not forgotten at this point) = 2 bonds to equip. Fabled guns (lunas howl, mountain top, recluse) cost 1 each.

I think something like this may be necessary to enjoy strong pinnacle weapons worth chasing that don't also destroy the community in the process. I don't think trying to nerf weapons on a case by case basis is a good idea. Easier to get people excited about strong weapons to chase, while also having to be strategic about when to equip them.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Poor poor hand cannons, guys they're so picked on (by picked on we mean always way better than anything else)!

Xuj9Pux.png

So much crying over a ttk going from .67>.80 (still like the best ttk in the game and there's zero doubt Lunas will still completely dominate on console)

And this is 100% all just because it's a hand cannon getting "nerfed". When MIda was strong everybody wanted it nerfed and when it did get nerfed nobody complained.

Bygones percent has just kept going lower and lower for months. Wouldn't be surprised to see the only non hand cannon primary in the top 5 drop off completely soon. Probably Thorn, The Last Word, Not Forgotten, or another hand cannon will take that spot.

BTW what other guns have a super powerful perk that doesn't require a kill besides Lunas Howl/Not Forgotten? Recluse doesn't. Memento maori is also pretty insanely OP. You're doing almost 100 damage a shot, and unlike kill clip or master of arms it lasts forever once procced until you fire those rounds. Memento Mori is a good example of a perk that's so powerful it would be absurd on any other class of weapon, but is somehow ok to be on a hand cannon
Hey look, I can play the same fucking game.

oOed0ub.jpg

Bygones beats out Ace by a large margin. Poor poor bygones am I right?

Where are all the 140 and 150 that is not Ace?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hey look, I can play the same fucking game.

oOed0ub.jpg

Bygones beats out Ace by a large margin. Poor poor bygones am I right?

Where are all the 140 and 150 that is not Ace?

That's weird. These stats are weird as they differ everywhere and I dont necessarily know what they're measuring.

That said that chart tells you the top kinetic archetype is hand cannon (I would have thought it would be shotgun since you'd expect Lunas+Shotgun). The top energy archetype is also...hand cannon LOL. It also shows you the overwhelming popular loadout, Lunas and Dust Rock.

Also if you add those percents up it's crazy. Luna 28%+Trust 15% +another 7% (so that's 50%) for other hand cannons, vs 11% for bygones and .35% (?) for Perdition....so 11% for pulses. And no Ar's. No scout rifles. Or we can count 6 hand cannons, 2 pulses on the list. The rest are specials.

Come on man, these numbers are just stupid dominant for hand cannons.

I dont see them changing much with this so called "nerf" either. Maybe Thorn will gain some more traction, and I feel like TLW will grow a lot, but I dont know why, since TLW already has the fastest ttk. At least SMG and pulse should be able to compete with Luna's better.

You're asking about other hand cannon archetypes...wheres any archetype of AR? Where's any archetype of scout? Where's any pulse that's not a 390 RPM? Not every archetype of hand cannon can dominate, geez. There's just not room. It's just like pulses. They are 2nd to HC's. But it's the 390 and 4 burts that proliferate within that. You're always going to have that.

Last edited:

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

I wouldn't use a Youtuber as basis for discussing about the number of employees leaving a company

I know some of you don't like the subreddit, but here are two posts that give a rational explanation over Joe Blackburn and Jill Scharr's departure:

Joe Blackburn's departure

Jill Scharr

To put it short, core production of D2 is wrapping up. And its common for management to cycle out between big projects. Especially for a big as a company as Bungie

And most importantly, Bungie doesn't owe anyone an explanation for the departures.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of things: is the pc population still good? I haven't played since November on PC but my brother in law wants to play with his new PC so I'm tempted to get back in.

But with that said, does forsaken ever go on sale? I have bass game plus first two expansions but damn. Forsaken is $55cdn or $92 for forsaken with pass. Crazy expensive.

matmanx1

Nov 20, 2017
Couple of things: is the pc population still good? I haven't played since November on PC but my brother in law wants to play with his new PC so I'm tempted to get back in.

But with that said, does forsaken ever go on sale? I have bass game plus first two expansions but damn. Forsaken is $55cdn or $92 for forsaken with pass. Crazy expensive.
I play on the PC nearly every day and it seems strong. Not having any issues finding groups or seeing folks around for Public Events.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I've come to the conclusion that shark is still bitter over AR nerf.

AR meta is not coming back anytime soon.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Everyone I know is going ape over these sudden departures. I figure they've planned on leaving once their work was done, for quite a while. I'm not really reading too much into it or putting on my ton foil hat just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.