• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder what the retailer hype is for Days Gone. Are they hoping it does GoW/Spidey good? Or expectations tempered for Zombie burnout.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still holding out hope we'll see Death Stranding in September of this year, November at the latest. Some of that hope is the blind fanboyism in me, the other is the realist who knows Kojima did not have to spend time making his own engine and could focus on the game, world and story from the jump. Meaning DS should be out soon.

I hope.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the retailer hype is for Days Gone. Are they hoping it does GoW/Spidey good? Or expectations tempered for Zombie burnout.
It won't. It will sell ~5 millions when all is said and done and will be a huge success for Bend Studio and their first console AAA since 2004.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious that the think an event for retailers is more impactful/relevant than E3 (not including third party publishers here as they are already obviously E3 attendees).

Oct 25, 2017
In other words, expecting it to sell on par with Sony's fastest selling exclusives in the history of PlayStation? I'm fairly sure they aren't expecting Days Gone to do that well. :P

Assuming it can review well, I would expect Days Gone to land somewhere in the 5-7M range LTD (which would be a wonderful success for Bend as a relatively small team on their big new IP). There is actually a hole in the AAA zombie market this gen and Days Gone should benefit quite a bit from filling it.

I find it hilarious that the think an event for retailers is more impactful/relevant than E3 (not including third party publishers here as they are already obviously E3 attendees).
I believe this is a yearly event. It has nothing to do with their E3 plans.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
You find it hilarious that they value the people actually buying mass amounts of their products abs reselling them to consumers? Without retailers they would be nothing.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
You find it hilarious that they value the people actually buying mass amounts of their products abs reselling them to consumers? Without retailers they would be nothing.

In a world where retail means less and less every year, yes. And even then, people aren't buying a PS5 at Walmart because of some marketing material they see in the store.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
In a world where retail means less and less every year, yes. And even then, people aren't buying a PS5 at Walmart because of some marketing material they see in the store.
920x920.jpg

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Regardless of marketing in store they're still buying it from that store.

And amazon etc also count as retailers.

This event is about impressing the supply chain.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Let's see.

Firstly, retail partners matter a ton. Even as we are moving towards a digital age, 50-60% of the business are still physical - give or take depending on the region, and until it reaches a point where the ROI isn't meaningful, partners who contribute 50-60% of your revenue are important.

Secondly, as previously expressed, the expectation and requirements for these kind of internal closed retail event are very different. Sony could bring nothing first-party or new to any of these events and it wouldn't even matter, because the ones attending DP are not people looking to be hyped by a new announcement, but business people who wants details that would allow them to plan their fiscal year allocations better. Whereas E3 ( or rather pre-E3 ) are driven by hype for megatons, new announcements, etc.

Thirdly, the success of sales and marketing is contributed by the full-stack and integration of above-the-line marketing ( TV ads, YouTube, magazines, influencer buys, Twitch, games press events, etc ) and below-the-line marketing ( point-of-sale material, store-level influencing, counter boys, pop-up events, local level events ). If we look at the consumer profile of a regular gamer, a lot of people are nowhere close to being a 'core gamer' who consumes all the latest trailers dropped at E3 and such. Many of them are casual gamers who's understanding of the closest product zeitgeist is brand names like Call of Duty, and there is an important aspect of point-of-sale marketing there.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you realize that E3 is a trade event too?

My point is that Sony, at least for 2019, realizes that setting up a physical/in person event for E3 doesn't make as much sense as it did 10 years ago. A lot of companies have been pretty slow to realize 90% of the value added by yearly events can now be done just as well via conference calls.

Does it REALLY make sense that in 2019, you need an in person event to distribute marketing materials, review release strategies, give info about upcoming releases and what they've got on the horizon? Probably not. While I agree that E3 is for a very different purpose and audience, the fact that we've seen so many companies reduce or completely removed their presence in place of digital distribution of information is something that I expect would be done in channels such as this as well. So that, combined with the continual reduced necessity/impact of retail awareness on consumer purchases is what has me surprised they still see the value in a physical presence/meetup.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retailers and publishers pay to attend. Sony just hosts and manages it. The cost difference between DPS and E3 is laughably large, it's absurd to compare the events in any way. DPS saves pubs and retailers lots of money and time by having everyone together for annual planning.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Off topic but anytime I read a title that begins with Destination my brain immediately says "Destination Faaaacked" in an Aussie accent.