• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Year and a half ago when Epic Store exclusivity became a thing and when services like GamePass and Origin Access became a thing there was question how those games will do on Steam or outside of subscription services. Unfortunately we have limited data but still enough to see some trends. So let's start.

Sea of Thieves was released on Windows Store more than 2 years ago and it was available on GamePass since day one (service that you can get for 1$). And now more than to years later on June 3rd it was released on Steam. Fast forward to today and we can see that day after day game is breaking concurrent player numbers

6lheht8.png

an it is trading blows for 1st place on Steam Top Seller list with other titles

7Vopirh.png

And all of that at full price and not that great regional pricing.

Next one on the list is another Microsoft title released few months ago Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Another title that was available on GamePass since Day 1. With over 27K Steam Reviews to date and over 34K concurrent players at launch it was another title that sold well despite cheaper alternative.

JO6QZ5Y.png

We can move now to EA title Jedi Fallen Order. Situation here was bit different because title wasn't available for Basic Origin Access subscription just for Premium one that costs 15$ but it was still cheaper than buying game. And again we saw good numbers that continue to be good (number of Steam Reviews)

TQef3EE.png

Another game that maybe didn't set player charts on fire despite name but did sell really well (according to estimates we have) is Red Dead Redemption 2. Game was 1 month exclusive to R* Launcher and Epic Store with big promotion on R* Launcher still managed to reach over 77K reviews on Steam and estimated sales between 2-3M copies on Steam alone in 6 months (again these are just estimates).

0aegWqF.png

We also have Hades, Epic Store launch exclusive for a year that did incredibly good when it launched on Steam year later. With over 22K Steam reviews (95% positive ones) it is still doing great months later. Some nampkin math estimates even say that sold better on Steam in first few weeks than on Epic Store for entire year but again i repeat those are just rough estimates, we don't have real data.

NGyyq5B.png

Borderlands 3 was 6 month exclusive on Epic Store and according to Randy reached 250K concurrent players in launch window on PC. Despite that 6 months later game reached 93K concurrent players on Steam.

O9NJ3hD.png

Satisfactory was 1 year exclusive to Epic Store and launched few hours ago on Steam and already has 10K concurrent players despite being 10$ cheaper on Epic Store.

4KCpI88.png

And with more people watching it on Steam Store page and Steam Broadcast than on Twitch

TSBDWTJ.png

Wpa64ke.png

These are just few examples. But not all games available on subscription services or ex exclusives did amazing numbers on Steam. One of the bigger ones was Gears 5 that only managed to reach 10K concurrent players. But pricing could be playing good role in that because in Europe alone game was 70 euros.

Metro Exodus managed to reach 15K concurrent players when re-launched on Steam, good numbers but for high profile game like that not that impressive.

Ashen, Operencia: The Stolen Sun and Close to the Sun are smaller ones that also didn't do great on Steam after exclusivity (some of them were also on GamePass).

So overall what is conclusion. Well simple one, put your product on every possible store you can. Various people prefer various platforms/launchers.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather pay more than have to deal with the headache of Microsoft apps

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
You could also draw the conclusion that exclusivity is good for these companies because they get a chunk of change and their games sell well when the deal is up.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I can see why people could be interested in the games but not in having to deal with the MS Store.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Game sells well on a popular store.....imagine that (lol jk)

I havent used EGS but I did play a few games on Xbox Game Pass for PC (Gears 1, Gears 4, etc).

Loved both Gears 1 and 4 - I could buy it on MS Store but....I'd rather pay more for the Steam versions of both games to be honest.

Like Playstation where I feel more comfortable buying console games over Nintendo's platforms , I feel more comfortable buying PC games on Steam.

Steam just has more features and aspects that I like having (Game clock log, achievements, a forum/support/guide pages for each game, review section, badges, cards, Steam controller settings, Built in FPS counter, etc)

Its the reason why its my most biggest platform out of all the platforms that I game in

zqu5LkK.jpg

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
It's because most other services that companies provide on PC have been a mess compared to Steam in its current form and features. Gamepass for Windows 10 have so many issues, EGS, Uplay and other launchers don't match the feature listing Steam has and also Steam client is less buggy.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
No DLC/Expansions on Gamepass for many games. If I plan on buying those I'd rather just do it on Steam. Base games tend to go cheap often anyway.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I'd rather pay more than have to deal with the headache of Microsoft apps
first reply gets it right.
People who think Gamepass on PC is the same as Xbox have no idea lol, that app is a pain in the butt. The first two games dealing with it are fine, the rest are insufferable. Your download can be cancelled for any reason at all, sometimes won't re-start unless you restart your PC or the app itself, hiding game files... at some point you just way "fuck it" and pay for the game on steam lol

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The Microsoft Store and by proxy Game Pass sucks. Updates/downloads randomly fail, games don't uninstall properly and leave behind zombie folders that have what seems like corrupted permissions that don't allow me to view them. Even installing the Xbox App to use Game Pass was a pain in the ass. All around an awful experience.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What headache ? You search the game and you install on console or pc.Simple.
Then you have people like me who are still trying to figure out how to install Gears Tactics.

The game is in some weird partial install state, because I can launch it, but it crashes as soon as I press a button.

Too bad the Xbox app won't let me uninstall or install it. Now I have some phantom SSD space being taken up that I need to research how to find and delete.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just made a post in the Steam thread after playing Command & Conquer talking about how impressed I was with EA's first two Steam releases. I'm not a Consumer (lol) Advocacy type but it's nice to see typically sketchy companies putting out good games in a really good state on the stores people want them. Especially now that it's fashionable to tell people that don't want to buy your game from a place they dislike to get over it, or that they're crazy or that they don't need your money anyway.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I haven't had any problems with Gamepass, but I like to buy the games I like, even having Gamepass.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Next one on the list is another Microsoft title released few months ago Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Another title that was available on GamePass since Day 1. With over 27K Steam Reviews to date and over 34K concurrent players at launch it was another title that sold well despite cheaper alternative.
It's not cheaper. I launch Steam games from 5-12 years ago. How much does GamePass cost for 5 years? There's no guarantee that Ori will even be on Game Pass in 5 years. It's cheaper for a certain kind of gamer but MS wouldn't be doing this if they thought they would make less money. The Neftlix model has been disastrous for having access to great content; it's not reliable. Right now we're in the honeymoon years like Netflix was 2008-2012 where everything was on there and it was amazing. Eventually more services will drive up the licensing prices and GamePass will have to be more choosey with what it includes. MS published games like Ori are obviously exempt.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Most games on game pass come without DLC. No mods or reshade options. Loads of bugs, crashes and install issues, at least for me. Every time I start the app I get some dialogue window spam about an ID card.

It's a very annoying environment in general.

And if you delete the games, there's a chance the space will never be back on your HDD.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
It needs to be said that these subscription services and EGS are not available in many countries while Steam is widely available in almost everywhere.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
PC gamepass is a mess, because the Microsoft store is pure garbage.
I installed a new Mobo, so of course that means a new Windows installation.
I can no longer play FH4 (a game which I purchased) thanks to the being so sensitive to third party apps (especially monitoring apps)
I refuse to disable half my background apps to play a game. All this frustration is because of the MS store.

I use gamepass for the purpose it was created. I play/preview games I have passing interest in and otherwise would have skipped.
If I like a previewed game I buy it outright if it's available on another launcher, rather than investing more time into the gamepass version. So yeah, I can see why some of these games are doing well on Steam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Most games on game pass come without DLC. No mods or reshade options. Loads of bugs, crashes and install issues, at least for me. Every time I start the app I get some dialogue window spam about an ID card.

It's a very annoying environment in general.
And that is if they work correctly for you!

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Steam is just easier to use, lots of controller options, mods and fresh updates, I remember that the game pass version of slay the spire had a late update compared to steam. But I guess it's fine for MS games.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
I think the international market makes up the difference. Steam is SO MUCH more accessible here in my country (Brazil) with pre-paid cards and stuff, that if a PC game is not on steam, it's basically only going to be played by pirates.

Epic (and other stores) still have a looooooong way to go to be on par with steam in international (specially third world) markets. So releasing on steam is basically effectively like releasing in new markets.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
People like to consumer their goods in different ways. Outright purchases are still there for people who want that. Subscription services are now there as well for people who want that. There was a lot of concern trolling around what Gamepass would do to the industry, and it's evident that it begins and ends with giving consumers an additional option to get their media. That's it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Then you have people like me who are still trying to figure out how to install Gears Tactics.

The game is in some weird partial install state, because I can launch it, but it crashes as soon as I press a button.

Too bad the Xbox app won't let me uninstall or install it. Now I have some phantom SSD space being taken up that I need to research how to find and delete.

I found a fix for broken xbox apps: Just completely format the drive that they were on.

edit: I would buy the shit out of gamepass if it were available on Steam, or Origin, or EGS or basically anything else.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Also regarding Gamepass i´m highly conflicted about its model, so despite its technical issues its more about ownership in my case.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
first reply gets it right.
People who think Gamepass on PC is the same as Xbox have no idea lol, that app is a pain in the butt. The first two games dealing with it are fine, the rest are insufferable. Your download can be cancelled for any reason at all, sometimes won't re-start unless you restart your PC or the app itself, hiding game files... at some point you just way "fuck it" and pay for the game on steam lol

Happens on Xbox too

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
It has been impossible for my to get Gamepass working on my main Windows profile, despite following many different 'fixes'.

In the end, I got to test it by adding a secondary Windows user, and logging in as them and getting the £1 Gamepass trial with that account. It was such a pain in the arse that it put me off it, and I never even played any games on it before the 30 days was up.

I love the idea of it, but I'm fine with the standard 4 games stores, and have plenty of games in my backlog to play anyway. I'm also am trying to limit the number of monthly subscriptions I have right now.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
And if you delete the games, there's a chance the space will never be back on your HDD.

About that..
I made the mistake of copying my gamepass games to an external hard drive. I found out the hard way that you can't copy and then play games from another PC using the Windows store games. The problem is these games took up more than 388GBs on my hard drive with no way to delete them other than formatting the hard drive. I know about permissions for deleting the windowsApps folder etc... none of that worked. The Windows store is a mess.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling over a series of posts
lol i would love to know what world you live on

cause its not the one im on

does yours have a bad president and a pandemic
I'm Italy and Game Pass for Pc works flawlessly
But i understand that some Steam's fanboy are enjoy to spend so much money in a game pratically already free.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I found a fix for broken xbox apps: Just completely format the drive that they were on.
I figured it's down to the nuclear option. It's just ridiculous that it comes to that.

I installed it on a 1TB NVMe that I only use for game installs. I guess it's time to back my shit up before I enter the launch codes. What a hassle.