• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Back during the dark days of the Wii U, many have discussed what Nintendo needed to get back on its feet. One option tossed out on occasion was leaving the hardware market, and just make games for PlayStation, Xbox, and PC platforms ala Sega. Now that Nintendo is back to printing money with Nintendo Switch, would you rather still see Nintendo just make games instead of platforms?

The Switch isn't perfect. It's online is painfully mediocre, the build-quality isn't the greatest, and some people may not like that the focus on mobility came at the cost of competitive hardware specs. It seems that some people still think Nintendo has no business making any kind of gaming platform, and that their games would be better off on more powerful systems with great online, and proper AAA games.

The problem I have with that is, what would a third party Nintendo actually do with the PS5 level of hardware? Most of their games don't actually push the limits of their own hardware as is, and they've never put a focus on bleeding edge graphics, instead preferring efficiency and compelling aesthetics rather than raw specs. Even if Nintendo made games for PS5, they'd probably just look out of place compared to the other AAA games on the system, both from a tonal and graphical perspective.

My opinion is that there is nothing to gain from Nintendo going third party. In fact, they have more to loose. You think a third party Nintendo would do things like Labo? or Astral Chain?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Absolutely. I'd be so much happier being able to play Mario Odyssey at 4K and a solid 60fps. Same goes for a whole bunch of Nintendo's exclusives.

data

Oct 25, 2017
No. Especially since they're the last portable game system available with the Switch.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

Look at SEGA's volume and diversity when they were a console maker. Look at their volume and diversity now.

There are many benefits to being a platform holder.

Nintendo will never go third party either. They have too much cachet and money in the bank.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i would probably stop playing video games entirely if i could no longer play them on a dedicated handheld or hybrid, so no

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
No.

Nintendo bring a sense of creativity and willingness to take risks in their hardware design that other console makers just can't, or aren't willing to. It would be a tragic loss for gaming if they got out of the console business imo

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of.

I like the Switch hardware, but Nintendo's never had enough first-party content imo. Just look at his year for example.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care either way but I'd much prefer to just have their games on a Sony platform so I'd have one less console to buy.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care hardware-wise, but would be concerned about how games would be affected. Like what would be the deal with series from intelligent, retro, NLG, hal, etc?

Oct 27, 2017
We all stand to lose if they did. They would be idiots to do so, clearly make their consoles do well at least every other gen, have a market they've carved out, and on any other platform they'd be less experimental.

there is literally no rational reason to want them to go third party. Personal reasons aside, if you can't afford one of their systems now just wait until it's older and play the games then. Imagine getting a 3DS or Wii U now? Sure, they'd be dated but you'd have tons of great, cheaper games available to you.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, of course. Last night I was playing Metroid Prime on PC and it was incredible. I wish I could play every Nintendo game there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No. Even if someone else comes out with a suitable handheld (which I doubt is happening) the quality and quantity of their games would take a massive nosedive, and nobody wants that.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It would mean no more portables so pretty much the end of the hobby for me. I'd rather they kept making hardware that didn't require you to be tethered to a screen.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This topic invites system warring and it's not happening ever so it seems like a meaningless hypothetical anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.