• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'd argue the other way. Turning Aquaman into Khal Drogo in the sea seemed like a much easier sell (and much less of a risk) than if they would have earnestly tried to bring this Aquaman to the big screen.
hqdefault.jpg

Eh, in a sense I really don't disagree with you here lol. I agree that it would have been much harder to bring this Aquaman to the big screen in 2018 and make him relatable and "cool." I'm sitting here now trying to imagine it and...well, I can't.

But I do give some credit to James Wan and the team, because orange tights Aquaman is still the default version of the character to most people, and there's always some risk when you dramatically shift from what audiences expect from a character portrayal. We've seen "Old Franchise but now BADASS" revivals fail before.

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take WW84 (minus the uh, bad geopolitics) over Spider-Man Homecoming and Peter "I have no arc and learn nothing" Parker anyway

I...respect this opinion, and might even agree? I remember so little about Homecoming. WW84 featuring, straight up, a wishing stone is just unique, though. Along with having a Trump-y villain who is defeated by...truth. Along with featuring a world torn apart and flipped around by wishes. Along with centering a, let's say, love story that builds on body swap tropes in ways that are both uncomfortable and compellingly weird.

WW84 being so messy, on one hand, and just fundamentally whacky on another does make for a more interesting movie. As much as I get a kick out of Tom Holland's Spider-Man, his two solo movies are both pretty bland, yeah.

Anyway, continuing along these lines, I'm wayyy more bought into the whole MCU thing, and for good reason. Movies like Aquaman, WW, and BoP have done a lot to make me appreciate what the DCEU brings to the table, though.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Villains, Cheetah was introduced, you liked the character, and then you saw the character change, it's something Marvel/Disney has fail time and time again,the only villain Marvel has done right is Thanos and they teased him for so many films, all the other villains have failed miserably, best villain before Thanos was the human dude in Civil War. While WW84 was awful movie they at least tried to give the villain a background, people love Shazam, i think it's trash, it's a MCU movie with basic cookie cutter villain with no background, the villain is just here to provide the action sequences.

The basic plot of most comics books is good vs evil, Marvel/Disney ignores the evil side of the story or should i say Disney does, want to know why the last 3 Star Wars movies sucked, look at Disney approach to the villains, even Episode 1, 2, and 3, had better villains than the last 3 Star Wars movies, until Disney takes they filthy hands off and let the creators actually do some proper writing every thing Disney owns is gonna be the same movie..

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Cinematography and Hans Zimmer.

But MCU looks better now than they did in Phase 1 and 2.

This and surprise — insofar as you don't know if the movie is going to be unwatchable dreck like Suicide Squad or Aquaman, decent messes, or decently good (Birds of Prey).

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
People have blinders on or something when it comes to the DC movie universe...

compare one of their movies to any of the Justice League stories that I've seen and I'm sorry you can see where they lack.

So much potential, but goes very little. And for everything I like, it's always held back

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
I remember those cookie-cutter marvel movies, like the one with the walking tree alien and the talking space racoon, and that movie where Thor and Hulk have a wacky adventure in space, and the one with the shrinking thief.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
As mentioned already: Music.

The Avengers motif is good, but the rest of theme is mostly forgettable. Can't think of any other Marvel music.

DC films have some great soundtracks thanks to Zimmer.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Hans Zimmer, and they got to do their women heroes first.

Thats all. Everything else when I think about it is just, ugh...

Now if you take the Dark Knight Trilogy versus MCU THEN I have some answers!

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
I guess the DCU is better at having murderous Batmans in their movies than the MCU.

Mar 27, 2018
As others have said, DC's output lately has been so scattershot, Marvel has been more consistent. A direct comparison doesn't look great.

But individual DC films have their own merits. Wonder Woman, Shazam, Aquaman, and Suicide Squad feature more diverse casting than any MCU movie at those respective points in time.

Wonder Woman, Man of Steel, and Batman v Superman have some stunning visuals I feel the MCU hasn't neccesarily matched yet.

And some DC movies have been super fun and amazing to see onscreen. It makes the duds even sadder. It could have been so much better.

I really hope whatever is going on behind the scenes at WB / DC has been ironed out. I realize movies are years in the making and it can take a while for truly holistic change.

May 10, 2018
Outside of music and if you have a preference for non connected stuff, not much. The cinematography aspect isn't that much true anymore either.

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
Music and Cinematography. MCU outside of the event films looks Saturday afternoon tnt movie status. Idk how to word it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
MOS still has the best live-action SUPER hero fights anywhere, IMO.

This is what I was gonna say. I think MoS and BvS are pretty not great. But, I enjoyed the action scenes more than any Marvel movie. Seeing Batman really be able to move and fight for the first time ever in live action was pretty good (outside of the murdering fools).

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imo literally nothing. The DCEU, at least so far, only goes from terrible to very mediocre in the best case.

And if you want "Dark" with MCU, then the Cap movies have got you covered, while Snyder's version of "Dark" is juvenile and tryhard at best.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Imo literally nothing. The DCEU, at least so far, only goes from terrible to very mediocre in the best case.

And if you want "Dark" with MCU, then the Cap movies have got you covered, while Snyder's version of "Dark" is juvenile and tryhard at best.
It's the Spencer's Gifts of movies.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
DC's animated content is better and more watchable than most of Marvel's.

Excluding Spiderverse, because that is in a league of its own, and it wasn't strictly Marvel's doing.

Feb 24, 2018
Produced women-led movies a Tartarus of a lot sooner then the MCU took, glad Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn exist (Now where are the POC-led movies DC and WB!)

Wonder Woman and Shazam are two of my favourite superhero movies, Birds of Prey is pretty good as well as and Aquaman is okay but amuses me basically being a live action shonen plot

The worst of it is mostly the main plot, Batman v Superman is just miserable to get through, Man of Steel is only slightly better and Justice League is a mess. And the first Suicide Squad is also a mess and also bothers me so much because of what it was originally going to be.

When it was first announced, it was originally going to be a $45 million movie and part of initiative where they'd allow directors, writers, new and old the chance to produced lower budget movie (I think it was $8 million to $45 million) with MUCH more creative control so they could experiment, try out new things, allow new tallent to shine etc. I loved that idea and it ticks me off WB scrapped it for THAT MOVIE...

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
DC get points for Cinematography and Soundtracks mainly. Like when Marvel does retro it kind of harkens back to things in a modern way (Hey remember cassette players?), but they aren't going to try and match Donner's Superman in execution, theme, look and even the stunts like WW84 did in the Mall. I have hopes for Wandavision taking a proper crack at it on the MCU end.. Now, does it make a better movie? No, but I appreciate the effort.

Even Marvel's more creative movies like Ragnarok and Guardians still mesh with their other films on some level, they just have better costuming.

And Soundtracks should be an easy win for DC. Marvel is improving but DC never needed too.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I can't really think of anything aside from currently having more movies with female leads.

I don't understand how any of those movies took more risks? Especially WW and Aquaman.
Aquaman took risks by being completely batshit stupid and still worked.

(I love that movie because of how fucking dumb it is)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not trolling but, I earnestly don't think the DC universe does anything better than the MCU. I'd say the best thing the DCEU has going for it is that it's so scattershot and poorly implemented it enables you to enjoy the few good films without having to watch the baggage, which I appreciate as the idea of everything being it's own interconnected universe of shit you gotta keep track of is honestly exhausting at this point.

This. The DCEU does nothing better than the MCU. Not a single thing. The most I'll give it is a consolation prize for not knowing when to give up.

DC's animated content is better and more watchable than most of Marvel's.

Excluding Spiderverse, because that is in a league of its own, and it wasn't strictly Marvel's doing.

This is absolutely true, but hopefully Marvel Animation no longer being led by Loeb will lead to improvements.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
like how half the people can't fucking help themselves anyways even in this topic with the "nothing comments" I say soundtracks and female led movies I found ww to be way fucking better then captain marvel, and we had a all female team movie in birds of pretty even if it's not what I wanted from the movie.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Batman v. Superman, which I see as an extended examination of how to confront terror, is probably the most politically charged of any of the Marvel/DC Universe films.

I think it's a messy movie in a lot of respects, but it's a movie that is mostly marked by a feeling of impotence which is refreshing in the wake of so many empty blockbuster power fantasies.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Fight scenes and set pieces. Man of Steel and Wonder Woman have better displays of superpowers than most of the MCU movies, especially when it involves all of the characters with super speed. And outside of Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Endgame, MoS, WW, and BvS have better fight scenes than pretty much every other MCU movie.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
For every 3 bad movies you get a Joker .

That's about it.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
DC animated stuff tends to be way better than marvel animated stuff but I think that will change with disney+

Edit: oh cinematic universe uhhh can't think of anything

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Music, the female leads and the fan cosplay hype. We had 2-3 years of people everywhere cosplaying as Harley Quinn and some with Wonder Woman.

Movie wise, Man of Steel is still pretty great with amazing fight scenes. Watching it now makes me wish for a Superman movie sequel sooner than later.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The movie trailers for a few of them. That's it. Their movies don't do anything better than the MCU taken as a whole, even if individually I think that Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Man of Steel are better than a few of the single MCU films. The shared universe aspect of the DCEU is an utter failure, with several failures to launch.
They need to start all over. Scrap everything, as even the most salvageable component (WW) has now been thoroughly beshat.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
DCEU has two Marthas.

I don't think MCU has any Marthas.
marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com

Martha

Martha is a citizen of Batesville, Utah. After the explosion in the StatiCorp facility in Batesville, many people blamed the incident on safety inspector Hannah Hutchins. After another explosion in a local gas station where Hutchins was trying to buy some groceries, a crowd gathered outside...

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
They're, generally speaking, much better looking. Better cinematography, better action choreography. They usually have a much stronger point of view, even if it ends up being a miss. Which it usually does. I honestly think their stuff will be looked back on a bit more fondly 10-20 years from now than most of the Marvel stuff.

But the Marvel movies are much better crowd pleasers. I haven't walked out of any of those feeling completely bewildered by what I just sat through like I did after BvS. But... bear with me on this... at least I had a reaction? I watched it again, a couple years later, and felt largely the same. But I was at least compelled to try to figure out what they were trying to do there.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Aquaman is a great test for my new 4K TV and also didn't compromise on its outlandish costume design, especially in Black Manta.

The fact that Black Widow has been the "next" MCU movie for months has really hammered home how much I hate what Taskmaster looks like now