• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is an important point. Theres real world repercussions to this stuff, particularly if a game is already struggling. Grubb seems like a good dude, but all these folks need to be thoughtful about how things could play out, especially if they don't have any verification or second source etc
I see this point, I understand it and empathize with it. The other side of this coin is the consumer choosing where to spend their dollars. If the game dies in a year, there will be people who spent money on it (a small amount for sure since the game couldn't support an audience but consumers nonetheless). Would Grubb have done right by them if he had the info and sat on it? At this point it's people's dollars vs Ubi's dollars (with the developers stuck in the middle).

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The team that is working on the game puts out a statement to let people know they're still working on and passionate about the game.

Kotaku makes fun of them like a bunch of children.

Cool.
That's par for the course now with Kotaku. I honestly don't see them as any better than some UK tabloid trash

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to enjoy Kotaku, with Schreier, Evan Narcisse and a few others... Now, it's not only that it's trash, it is extremely mean spirited and often borderline cruel. There's no humanity in what they're putting out.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I used to enjoy Kotaku, with Schreier, Evan Narcisse and a few others... Now, it's not only that it's trash, it is extremely mean spirited and often borderline cruel. There's no humanity in what they're putting out.

Not that Kotaku shouldn't be held to a higher standard, but this place doesn't exactly have a reputation for being positive.

Edit:

I swear they just pull headlines from comments here.

Case in point. This isn't something people should think about this place.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I have this urge to quote posts saying Grubb is consistently right or some shit but I shall refrain.
Good news for those who play this.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I feel like a lot of times these "insiders" are idolized yet treated like a grocery store tabloid or TMZ. Just used to as ammo to mob a dev/game that isnt well liked like hyenas. And here on this forum, the negativity about many aspects of gaming feeds right into it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I have this urge to quote posts saying Grubb is consistently right or some shit but I shall refrain.
Good news for those who play this.

Don't do that, because it opens the door to people consistently quoting you when he's right, which is often.

Oh I agree, I can only speak for myself but yeah Era is too often a beacon of negativity, sometimes worse. We can only try to be better individually.

That's a fair point.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I'm surprised to see Zack Zwiezen's byline attached to this one.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
If they manage to find an audience, even if it's niche, I can see the game sticking around for years (see For Honor or The Crew 2). Like, even Steep received years of support and I'm pretty sure that game flopped.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I like Grubb a lot on a personality level, but something similar happened with him saying Scarlet Nexus I think it was was coming to gamepass day one and it turned out it wasn't. While a lot of it is speculation, I feel he has to really emphasise what is opinion or not. He is a public figure in the industry and we are so news driven at the moment it is almost like an egg shells situation, but it is what it is. The onus should be on us to a certain degree to not take journalists/insiders at their word either, but unfortunately that horse has probably bolted in that regard.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
So Kotaku is just a straight up mean spirited, truly clickbaiting trashsite now, right? Every god damn post I see from them lately is shockingly terrible.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are acting like this statement proves Grubb was wrong. We'll see in a couple months.

It doesn't.

This leak still rubs me the wrong way, though. It seems to have been a pretty off the cuff reveal on some random podcast, and while I'm sure Jeff has good reason to trust the source, a more thoughtful approach is probably warranted. Especially when leaking "this game will probably get cancelled in the not too distant future" could actually serve to reinforce that exact outcome.

(Although the opposite could also be true, seeing as this is probably the most I've ever seen people discuss Roller Champions. The point holds, either way.)

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Becoming? It always has been. It's all about the drama clicks.
Hasn't it always been entertainment media? Like it's 100% access journalism with all the trappings just like tech journos, sports journos and even political journos the name of the game is audience engagement not quality of work

It's been that way since the internet started (and some would argue games magazines started)

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Rereading this it doesn't actually deny the core premise that roller champions is winding down new content

Grubb said he was hearing the servers would probably stay up but they will be having less devs on content support

They are saying here they will fox known issues and talk about content later
Where did he said that? So I can update the OP.
Because all he says here is that is getting canceled after season 3.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ExGnHx_JI&t=5003s&ab_channel=XboxEra

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I hate Ubisoft too but I feel bad for the developers. They don't deserve dumbass "leakers" and the fucking joke that is Kotaku ruining their reputation for no reason.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Where did he said that? So I can update the OP.
Because all he says here is that is getting canceled after season 3.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ExGnHx_JI&t=5003s&ab_channel=XboxEra

Oh I was talking about the gamesmess morning thing this morning I'll try find the time stamp

Edit: 14:00 https://youtu.be/wsOpbkMMWrA

"I don't know if that means they shut down the game but active development on new content will probably begin to wrap up"

Angie

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Oh I was talking about the gamesmess morning thing this morning I'll try find the time stamp

Edit: 14:00 https://youtu.be/wsOpbkMMWrA

"I don't know if that means they shut down the game but active development on new content will probably begin to wrap up"

Angie
Right before that quote Grubb said "season 3 will be the last season"
13:40 "he also said they will stop making new content". Also wrong

That is a very very serious statement to put out if he is not sure. I have nothing about Grubb btw, but he is a journalist above all, and he knows that it's harmful for online games, especially GaaS, when journalists claim they're getting shut down or not getting new content.
These kind of games rely on players to invest their time and money over time and a new player or returning player will probably feel like it's not worth it.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

That is a very very serious statement to put out if he is not sure. I have nothing about Grubb btw, but he is a journalist above all, and he knows that it's harmful for online games, especially GaaS, when journalists claim they're getting shut down or not getting new content.
These kind of games rely on players to invest their time and money over time and a new player or returning player will probably feel like it's not worth it.
i get where you're coming from here but also I didn't see this much defence of a live service game when we were all dunking on anthem (which also said they were not abandoning it until the orders came from on high)

Let's be real here if they slowed down the content pipeline into next year and just did server maintenance wouldn't that be very down the middle of both statements here? I don't think Ubisoft is going to afford a lot of budget to games that aren't hitting their metrics especially in an age where they are already scrapping games they've announced before launch, desperately trying and failing to monetise old games with NFTs and forcing a game out that's been through dev hell just to fulfill a contractual obligation to Singapore

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
i get where you're coming from here but also I didn't see this much defence of a live service game when we were all dunking on anthem (which also said they were not abandoning it until the orders came from on high)

Let's be real here if they slowed down the content pipeline into next year and just did server maintenance wouldn't that be very down the middle of both statements here? I don't think Ubisoft is going to afford a lot of budget to games that aren't hitting their metrics especially in an age where they are already scrapping games they've announced before launch, desperately trying and failing to monetise old games with NFTs and forcing a game out that's been through dev hell just to fulfill a contractual obligation to Singapore
Maybe is because is way too early and I just left a night shift that I'm a bit confused here lol
But I think we are talking 2 diferent things.

Sure maybe they slow things down next year or the year after but that's not the point I was trying to make.
And what Ubisoft's metrics are aren't the point either.
The only point I'm making is that Ubisoft are still committing to their game, still committing to new content, and Grubb's bad info is seriously damaging to the playerbase.

And trust me, I don't think Grubb tried to hurt the game on porpuse. Maybe he just got bad info, and just said it.
But let's be honest here. What is more likely?

Ubisoft, a public company bound to laws and its shareholders like any other company, putting out a fake statement and risking being sued by those same shareholders?
Or Grubb just getting bad info?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't care for insiders and leakers. I haven't for a long time. Especially what happened to Col R years ago. In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, they do more harm than good.

www.playstationlifestyle.net

Report: Col Rodgers Explains Why he Left Evolution Studios - PlayStation LifeStyle

After it was revealed that DriveClub Game Director Col Rodgers left Evolution Studios, a post from famousmortimer on NeoGAF made a bunch of false claims.

Bonus:

x7cPXg0.png

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

Journalists are supposed to cross reference sources which is something leakers don't seem to want to do.

I do like the way Schreier describes the current state of games journalism. You've got actual games journalism, and then you have 'game enthusiast media'.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
? Losing their jobs? Why would they lose their jobs? Hyperscape being a utter failure didn't result in layoffs, why would this? Hell if anything Ubisoft is literally having issue keeping people in because they have a lot of better options to work in Montreal!
It's quite clear you have no idea what you're talking about. The games industry is extremely unstable to work in. As someone who has lost their games industry job several times due to poor sales performance or lost contracts these things happen all the time, and having someone spout off rumours that could affect the livelihood of those that are working/worked on a game is reckless.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Or…believe the devs? Maybe we should do that instead of the feverish pedestal salivating we so love here at Era with "insiders" who clearly know shit all outside of lucky guesses.

Nothing new here, really. People trust the online personalities a lot more than the actual professionals working on making these things.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they weren't planning on it. That's true. Kinda hard to believe any publishers when it comes to this stuff. To be fair to Ubisoft, they supported stuff like Steep, For Honor, and The Crew for years... but then you have Hyperscape and I feel like Roller Champions' numbers lean far more towards the latter.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing new here, really. People trust the online personalities a lot more than the actual professionals working on making these things.

A microcosm of society in general, tbh. People believe their favorite personalities about anything, rather than professionals who work with the subject matter daily (See: COVID).

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
A microcosm of society in general, tbh. People believe their favorite personalities about anything, rather than professionals who work with the subject matter daily (See: COVID).

Yea that was such a sad shit show. With the rise of online influence and propaganda, things are going to be weird going forward.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fucked up when you think about leaks like this. Imagine the kind of stress or anxiety a dev must feel who never heard anything about the cancellation of their game suddenly reading on Twitter about it. It's crazy how little leakers care about the info they put out there let alone the repercussions thereof.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really have any interest in this game personally but a I feel for the devs and community of it having to refute a story like this. Whenever a game is struggling or just has a low (even if dedicated) playerbase the knives are out on social media and journalists to label it a dead game and everyone can stand around laughing at it. Having Grubb's comment go viral and doing the rounds everywhere is just a shitty thing to have to deal with for the devs and the players who want to keep the game active and alive and not have to defend it at every opportunity.

Ubisoft does have a good track record for supporting their games at least so the playerbase of this game could at least take solace in that. Even though Hyperscape very quickly fell off in players they kept the servers online for that far longer than I expected, and then there is also the long time support of successful games like For Honor, Siege, etc and lesser known but still active games like Riders Republic and Steep.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Journalists are supposed to cross reference sources which is something leakers don't seem to want to do.

I do like the way Schreier describes the current state of games journalism. You've got actual games journalism, and then you have 'game enthusiast media'.
This isn't new unfortunately, Jeff Green was complaining about the state of games journalism back in 2006 and it hasn't changed much since then.
I'm sure they are some people that really wished they didn't listen to the actual professionals when some of them told people not to worry about the 1 month delay Battlefield 2042 got and told people the game was in a great state and would be ready for the November launch. Or the people that listened to the Cyberpunk developers telling people not to worry about the numerous delays and the lack of PS4/Xbox One footage. Or the developers telling people BioWare and EA was committed to Anthem long term.

They are many times the professionals either lied or didn't tell the full truth to get people to spend their hard earned money on their game so the lack of trust is unfortunately earned, especially when these people didn't need to say anything at all. People should take anything they say about a product they are trying to sell to people with a grain of salt. Same goes for the publishers.

Even if Ubisoft was going to stop supporting this game after season 3 why would they ever tell people that? They want to maximize their players' microtransaction spending and telling people the game will stop being supported in a couple months will have an impact on their ability to do so.