• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
They don't sell because the gamers don't buy them. Historically that is the case with virtually every JRPG on the brand. Exception is FF.

Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and on, and on, and on. All actual exclusives for the 360. All sales flops for the publisher

"Most" XBox gamers do not purchase enough to justify the development costs

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Does it really Matter? They get most of the big releases and the smaller ones they miss never burn up the charts.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The trope that Japanese games sell poorly on Xbox has been wrong for over a decade. Stop feeding the trolls.

Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, which is one of the few JRPGs who had a chance to sell more on Xbox One since the original was a 360 exclusive (and kinda undeperformed there too) and stayed exclusive in the West until this remaster.

Here its opening week in UK

There is also another new entry in the Top 10 - Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition. The game debuts at No.9. 49 per cent of sales were for the Nintendo Switch version, 43 per cent on PS4 and the remaining 8 per cent coming on Xbox One.

Dec 25, 2018
A huge part of the market in the US are FPS games, which in Japan, they very rarely develop FPS games. I can't really think of any FPS games made by a Japanese company. MS has a widely different target audience with their games, and because of that, that is why they don't allure JP players. Playstation has so many genres to work with.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to respectfully disagree, I think that Phil Spencer and the Xbox team have done a fine job all things considered of bringing Japanese titles to the platform, especially over the 2nd half of the Xbox One's lifespan and I expect such efforts to continue with Scarlett. Capcom, SEGA, Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo and a few other offshoots have done a good job of bringing games to the platform if not a significant portion of their output. They've also done well with securing a variety of Korean titles (Black Desert, Bless Unleashed, Hyper Universe, Crossfire, etc.). With regards to niche titles, it's a completely unreasonable criticism IMO given Xbox One's place in the Japanese market and you know that they will never be 1:1 with Sony/Nintendo in terms of Japanese releases. I think the baseline expectation for Xbox and Japan should be whether or not Microsoft is securing most of Japan's biggest games.

A lot of Xbox fans who like Japanese games pine for the days of the XOG and X360 days and yeah they were damn great, but outside of market realities at the time that was a completely different leadership team back then. Ed Fries, Seamus Blackley, Kevin Bachus, Peter Moore, J Allard, Shane Kim, etc. As has been noted many times, Fries, Blackley and Bachus championed hard as hell in wanting to secure Japanese games on the Xbox. It was hard for them to forge those relationships back then and when those folks left and Microsoft failed to continue building those roads it was going to be long way back.

In all, I'll restate that I think given market realities Xbox is doing a good job of securing Japanese support for platform. If you won't be satisfied until they get JP support on par with Sony or Nintendo I'll tell you right now that's never going to happen. For me, though I own all platforms and while I don't buy all of my Japanese titles on the Xbox I am appreciative that I get the option to purchase what Japanese games do come over on the Xbox.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'll have to respectfully disagree, I think that Phil Spencer and the Xbox team have done a fine job all things considered of bringing Japanese titles to the platform, especially over the 2nd half of the Xbox One's lifespan and I expect such efforts to continue with Scarlett. Capcom, SEGA, Bandai Namco, Koei Tecmo and a few other offshoots have done a good job of bringing games to the platform if not a significant portion of their output. They've also done well with securing a variety of Korean titles (Black Desert, Bless Unleashed, Hyper Universe, Crossfire, etc.). With regards to niche titles, it's a completely unreasonable criticism IMO given Xbox One's place in the Japanese market and you know that they will never be 1:1 with Sony/Nintendo in terms of Japanese releases. I think the baseline expectation for Xbox and Japan should be whether or not Microsoft is securing most of Japan's biggest games.

A lot of Xbox fans who like Japanese games pine for the days of the XOG and X360 days and yeah they were damn great, but outside of market realities at the time that was a completely different leadership team back then. Ed Fries, Seamus Blackley, Kevin Bachus, Peter Moore, J Allard, Shane Kim, etc. As has been noted many times, Fries, Blackley and Bachus championed hard as hell in wanting to secure Japanese games on the Xbox. It was hard for them to forge those relationships back then and when those folks left and Microsoft failed to continue building those roads it was going to be long way back.

In all, I'll restate that I think given market realities Xbox is doing a good job of securing Japanese support for platform. If you won't be satisfied until they get JP support on par with Sony or Nintendo I'll tell you right now that's never going to happen. For me, though I own all platforms and while I don't buy all of my Japanese titles on the Xbox I am appreciative that I get the option to purchase what Japanese games do come over on the Xbox.

My rebuttal here will be that as a whole, Xbox since the 360 was never missing any of the big AAA titles. Even when they botched the start of this gen, thus why I put them under a heavier criticism than others. Stuff like RE2, DBZ, and mainline FF were never going to skip Xbox for example. But there's definitely a lot of work to be done when it comes to the more AA content such as Nier which thankfully happened but almost didn't.

I definitely don't expect them to get every japanese titles under the sun. I don't see niche titles like Kiseki ever coming to the platform. But I think there's still a lot of room to grow with those medium sized titles that Sega, Namco, and Square conveniently skip Xbox with. One example is the Last Remnant Remastered. Which released digitally only on every platform but the one it originally launched on. Which really sticks out when it comes to "making sure we're getting all of the JPN support we can".

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Xbox will get what Japanese publishers think will sell - nothing more. Like I said, you don't buy an Xbox for Japanese games. Just like you don't buy Nintendo for FPS's like Halo, or other games that the Xbox fanbase buys in droves

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should focus on improving what they're already good at/fell short on this gen instead of trying to break into a Japanese market that has never truly cared about them. Xbox gamers are nonexistent there. I don't think it would go well for Microsoft at all if they acquired some big Japanese developer, and when they end up wasting their time and money, eventually having to shut down that studio, maybe then people will finally realize how a lot of the time acquisitions can be a huge mistake and bad for everyone involved.

Oct 27, 2017
My rebuttal here will be that as a whole, Xbox since the 360 was never missing any of the big AAA titles. Even when they botched the start of this gen, thus why I put them under a heavier criticism than others. Stuff like RE2, DBZ, and mainline FF were never going to skip Xbox for example. But there's definitely a lot of work to be done when it comes to the more AA content such as Nier which thankfully happened but almost didn't.

I definitely don't expect them to get every japanese titles under the sun. I don't see niche titles like Kiseki ever coming to the platform. But I think there's still a lot of room to grow with those medium sized titles that Sega, Namco, and Square conveniently skip Xbox with. One example is the Last Remnant Remastered. Which released digitally only on every platform but the one it originally launched on. Which really sticks out when it comes to "making sure we're getting all of the JPN support we can".

I understand where you're coming from, but I think that you're taking those Japanese AAA titles for granted. There are a number of games that I could've seen skipping Xbox One entirely, one that quickly comes to mind is Monster Hunter World. I feel that their statement of getting all the Japanese support they can is valid, because at the end of the day no matter how strong Microsoft's pitch is, the buck stops with the companies if they want to invest time into porting their games to Xbox. If for example, Square's current leadership sees no value in porting certain Japanese games over there's little the Xbox team is going to be able to do outside of outright paying for it which is an incredibly expensive strategy in the long run that wouldn't guarantee continued support post moneyhats. These things takes time, using your example they could announce Last Remnant Remastered for Xbox and PC next year, Square is certainly no stranger to staggered releases (see: FF ports). No doubt though Microsoft can do better and I think they will continue to make inroads.