• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Fighting games are currently bigger and more mainstream than they ever have been, with several new titles seemingly being annouced left and right that it makes it seem difficult to pick one to stick with. However, if you're a fan of 3D fighters in particular, you're options are actually quite limited.
header.jpg

header.jpg

Tekken 7 and SoulCalibur VI are the latest entries in long running franchises that helped define the 3D fighting game genre, both created by Bandai Namco. These two are extremely popular, so it's safer to stick with these. The only other franchise competing against these two is Dead or Alive 6.
header.jpg

Dead or Alive doesn't have quite the same reputation as the previous two titles which can probably be attributed to a long criticized reliance on fan service to market itself.

And right now, that's kinda it for your options for 3D fighters. Virtua Fighter is nowhere to be found and it doesn't seem like any other developers are interested in entering the market. Do you think we'll see any other 3D fighters enter the scene?

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It's a shame DoA in general has become the niche 'anime tiddie' fighter. It's a solid fighting game, easy to pick up and do some cool combos, animation is fluid and the characters' styles are all very unique (except you Honoka). There's also quite a bit of depth with the countering system. Unfortunately I'm not sure what DoA can really do to come back as a popular fighting game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I do wish DOA6 was more popular if just because actual gameplay is so much fun.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
They had a lot of exposure in other generations, let 2D be in the spotlight for awhile...

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah because they are hard to make and barely anyone wants to compete with the series that does it right since ages.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yeah we all want Virtua Fighter to come back. I just want VF5FS most up to date version to be playable on a console that isn't in a Yakuza game.

I still hated DoA5 so I've avoided 6, but 6 has Kula Diamond? But I don't wanna play DoA.

3D fighters are a lot harder to just make, because then if you aren't making something like VF/SC/Tekken you get something like an Arena figther like Arms or anime arena fighters.

Oct 25, 2017
DOA6 at the very least has an amazing tourney community, by far my favorite game I play to just interact with the people playing it

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
At this point, DOA is as popular as Soul Calibur (unless you just care about EVO entrants, which was already pretty low for the latter), be it in terms of online players or regular tournament entrants. Easier to give it a try too, as it's F2P (with a good and fair business model, unless you just care about costumes).

There's always been fewer 3D fighters than 2D ones anyway, while VF not being there is a massive loss, it's not really a difference in terms of 3D fighters number compared to the past.
I guess you can always try arena fighters afterwards... (Arms, Pokken, Gundam, etc).

edit: oh yeah and you got the people that argue that For Honor is a 3D fighter (it isn"t one).

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I personally blame the 3D brawlers as the reason why we don't have more 3D fighters.

That aside, Most of the fighting games in this mini Renaissance as you say are either long standing franchises which are mostly 2D fighters or newer games trying to mimic them. That's why most new fighting games don't try to copy Tekken or SC or DOA. It's because 2D games are the more popular type.

As for older 3D fighting games having a revival, bar Virtua Fighter, which other 3D fighting game franchises are there which aren't still around? Stuff like MK and SF tried 3D entries many years back because 3D was the in thing, but I don't think anyone looks back at those entries more fondly than the 2D entries in those series.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love all three of those games and feel that DOA6 doesn't get the respect it deserves. Yeah, it has risque costumes, but not ALL of the costumes are that way. And believe it or not, there is a large part of the longtime fanbase that appreciates the outfits. Tekken and Soul Calibur have their sexy outfits as well, but nobody does it as well as DOA. Here on Era is isn't as fashionable to admit that you like the outfits, but many players who enjoy DOA don't want it to change. Honestly, I think it'd be hard for DOA7 to come out and be further toned down. That's a lot of baggage to bring with you and I think Team Ninja would be better served to just create a new series instead of trying to change one that is over 20 years running.

I'd sure love to see another Bloody Roar one day. Not gonna happen since Konami owns the Hudson IP, (and fuck Konami) but one can dream. Battle Arena Toshinden would be welcome too. And of course I shouldn't have to say this, but Virtua Fighter.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot about Pokken, which while not a fully 3D fighter, does have 3D elements.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
And right now, that's kinda it for your options for 3D fighters.

I don't get why For Honor hasn't gained any traction in the Evo aware crowd. It's a new IP too that adds some really fresh ideas to the genre and it does actually have a very large playerbase but for some reason this game is as unknown to the FGC as world of tanks is to people who play various types of shooters.

You forgot about Pokken, which while not a fully 3D fighter, does have 3D elements.

You could mention Pokken, have a Nintendo avatar and forget Arms? Tsk tsk.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I love all three of those games and feel that DOA6 doesn't get the respect it deserves. Yeah, it has risque costumes, but not ALL of the costumes are that way. And believe it or not, there is a large part of the longtime fanbase that appreciates the outfits. Tekken and Soul Calibur have their sexy outfits as well, but nobody does it as well as DOA. Here on Era is isn't as fashionable to admit that you like the outfits, but many players who enjoy DOA don't want it to change. Honestly, I think it'd be hard for DOA7 to come out and be further toned down. That's a lot of baggage to bring with you and I think Team Ninja would be better served to just create a new series instead of trying to change one that is over 20 years running.
The sad thing is people complaining about the risque outfits of DOA while not caring about Soul Calibur, which is way, way worse than it at this point (even more once you use the customization aspect).
But hey, reputation issues, just like VF died due to reputation issues (despite it being actually super accessible).

edit:
I don't get why For Honor hasn't gained any traction in the Evo aware crowd. It's a new IP too that adds some really fresh ideas to the genre and it does actually have a very large playerbase but for some reason this game is as unknown to the FGC as world of tanks is to people who play various types of shooters.
Ubisoft had some esports scene, but the game is broken, easy to exploit, and not what the FGC is looking for in terms of gameplay.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
I'm glad for that. 3 games is enough, since they have completely different gameplay. You can't do stuff from Tekken in Soul or DOA.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What else was there before this "2d renaissance?" I can only think of Virtua Fighter. I don't remember anything as good as any 3D fighter we have right now.

Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing is people complaining about the risque outfits of DOA while not caring about Soul Calibur, which is way, way worse than it at this point (even more once you use the customization aspect).
But hey, reputation issues, just like VF died due to reputation issues (despite it being actually super accessible).

edit:

Ubisoft had some esports scene, but the game is broken, easy to exploit, and not what the FGC is looking for in terms of gameplay.

Some people complain about both.

I only had a brief stint with Tekken 7 because there's no way in high heaven I'm ever putting something like Dead or Alive on my living room TV.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally blame the 3D brawlers as the reason why we don't have more 3D fighters.

That aside, Most of the fighting games in this mini Renaissance as you say are either long standing franchises which are mostly 2D fighters or newer games trying to mimic them. That's why most new fighting games don't try to copy Tekken or SC or DOA. It's because 2D games are the more popular type.

As for older 3D fighting games having a revival, bar Virtua Fighter, which other 3D fighting game franchises are there which aren't still around? Stuff like MK and SF tried 3D entries many years back because 3D was the in thing, but I don't think anyone looks back at those entries more fondly than the 2D entries in those series.
Capcom hasn't made a 3D fighter in ages but they had multiple 3D fighting series.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Well the other 3D fighters are Fighting Vipers and Last Bronx, which were also made by Sega. Actually some of the former's game design (fighting in walled/caged stages) was just folded into VF.

Sega has been involved with a lot of fighting games post-Final Showdown. It's just that none of those games are called Virtua Fighter.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Man all I want is a new Virtual On with local multiplayer.

I bought that anime tie-in game and shelved it after an hour once I realized that the VS mode was online only.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
since we've been talking about it alot in the MCS thread cant help but bring up ARMS and pokkken tournament, both selling more than DoA6 I assure you

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
ARMS is closer to an arena fighter. The OP is describing games like Tekken where you generally fight in 2D but can side-step & whatnot.

That is a poor characterization of what 3D fighters are. 3D fighters by their very nature aren't restricted to a 2D plane and it has a heavy focus on various forms of martial arts and that's it. The various games having huge differences in movement speed, hit detection, camera control etc is almost meaningless in an attempt to not count them as a 3d fighter.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Time for Mace The Dark Age revival.

It also makes me so sad that Dissidia NT is such a let down. Why did they have to fuck with the formula so much.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Some people complain about both.

I only had a brief stint with Tekken 7 because there's no way in high heaven I'm ever putting something like Dead or Alive on my living room TV.
Default costumes in Tekken 7 aren't any better than in DOA6. If we're talking about DLC costumes or custom outfits, it's just as bad for both as well.
Again, perception issues.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
For Honor is fun, but I would love to see crazy frenetic 3d fighter like power stone, or Ehrgeiz to come back.

ARMS is closer to an arena fighter. The OP is describing games like Tekken where you generally fight in 2D but can side-step & whatnot.
Op has not made any distinction as what counts as a 3d fighter but I don't see how arena fighter like For honor/power stone/Ehrgeiz/etc don't count as 3d fighters.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
When someone says "3D fighters" like in the OP, he's very rarely talking about arena fighters. They just mean something on a solid plane (with a 2D camera) with 8 direction movement or basic sidestep.
As I said, brief stint. You can take the Tekken 7 bit out, a game I don't play, and my point remains.
Is the point that "people complain about both"? Because that's really not the case, as shown in your previous post.
It's the same issue with SFV (a game that has more bikinis than DOA6 at this point) too. It's a reputation issue that DOA will never manage to remove, and that other games will always somehow avoid.
If you play fighting games, 2D or 3D, you'll get costumes issues (even in MK), unless it's a game with non-human characters obviously.

Anyway, that was just a point to show how people should try games or search a bit rather than base an opinion on what they've heard.
3D fighting games this gen (the three of them) are a lot of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
When someone says "3D fighters" like in the OP, he's very rarely talking about arena fighters. They just mean something on a solid plane (with a 2D camera) with 8 direction movement or basic sidestep.

Is the point that "people complain about both"? Because that's really not the case, as shown in your previous post.
It's the same issue with SFV (a game that has more bikinis than DOA6 at this point) too. It's a reputation issue that DOA will never manage to remove, and that other games will always somehow avoid.
If you play fighting games, 2D or 3D, you'll get costumes issues (even in MK), unless it's a game with non-human characters obviously.

Anyway, that was just a point to show how people should try games or search a bit rather than base an opinion on what they've heard.
3D fighting games this gen (the three of them) are a lot of fun.

The point is that people complain about all of them. SFVs atrocious costumes and designs don't get away squat free. Soul Caliburs skin tight atrocious designs don't get away squat free.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Op has not made any distinction as what counts as a 3d fighter but I don't see how arena fighter like For honor/power stone/Ehrgeiz/etc don't count as 3d fighters.
I'm going by the 3 examples they gave. Of course, there are other kinds of 3D fighters. But they seem to be referring to a specific kind of 3D fighter.

mugwhump

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
SC6 is probably my favorite fighter of the generation. Strong neutral focus, short combos, really varied and balanced roster, and generally lenient execution.

But I can see why 3D fighters are rare. I think the average tekken or calibur character must have like 3x the number of animations a typical 2D character does, and stages are more expensive to make too.