• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Era praises this game a lot, and I've tried 4 different time to see if it clicks because XC1 is one of my favourite games of all time but I just can't do it. At best it's okay and at worst the gross fetihisation and sexualization of women make it one of my most despised Nintendo games I've ever played. It's a shame, really. I feel there's a great game buried under shameless camera pans and terrible UI because walking around and experimenting with the combat is pretty fun

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
If the base game had sidequests like those of Torna and removed the awful field skill roadblocks, I might've liked it more than XC1

Oct 25, 2017
I havent played yet, but i plan to. Anime shit doesnt bother me. Wife got me into anime sooooooooooo im impartial to this style, western style, whatever long as the game is good.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite of the 3 games. The combat system kept me interested and the story piqued my interest after meeting the Praetor. I usually bounce off of XC1 shortly after Sharla but I'm not gonna let that happen with DE.

ABJAMON

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
User Banned (permanent): Troll account
I love prya's boobs. Thats my hook, becuase I cant stand rex cheesiness

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've had this on my wishlist for who knows how long now.
Every time I see the phrase "Blushy Crushy" I hover over the delete button though. Just thinking about that makes me want to curl up into a ball of secondhand embarrassment.

I'll probably try the game one day.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like it a lot more than I did after being a huge fan of Xenoblade Chronicles X. After Chapter 4 or so (whichever Chapter was the Nopon arc) I more or less mentally checked out of the story and mainly played because I enjoyed the battle system, although even that had its problems. Character wise I really liked Pyra, Mythra, and Morag though and Rex wasn't nearly as irritating as I thought they'd be. One day I might replay it to get the full gist of the story. Torna The Golden Country was great but I feel like a lot of the significance was lost on because I stopped paying attention to the story at a certain point in 2.
b94388cfa5640a53e557ad2f7445ec41.jpg
Lmao I have both of these on preorder plus Kos-Mos as well. Mythra's outfit never bothered me but Pyra walking around in booty shorts was just...why? The minute I saw footage of her in that outfit I was like "Wtf". Luckily I thought both her and Mythra were pretty fun characters.

Last edited:

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I finished it 2 weeks ago and then started Torna. One of my favorite games after beating it. The tie in with XBC1 was great and I truly look forward to more of the Xenogears/Xenoblade universe.

mrgoomba

Dec 10, 2017
Great game really enjoyed my time with it and torna.. maybe I'll do a new game plus after XCDE and get the other blades I've missed.

I liked the different blades and stories each one have and don't undertand the hate some people have for the designs.. I hope they continue with blades for XC3

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Well yeah, there is a reason why it's the best selling Monolith Soft game yet, I really enjoyed my time with it.
The reason it is the best-selling is because it is the first entry in an internet-famous franchise to receive widespread release on a popular platform. Its sales are/were actively damaged by the cringe-inducing female character design, Nopons, and other assorted anime bullshit the game thinks you are going to find endearing/boner-inducing. Most of us who have Switch-playing friends know this game's waifu-riffic reputation made them embarrassed to play or even try it. Sorry but if you like that kind of shit I'm also going to assume you are in the market for a life-sized waifu pillow.

If you want to see this series receive mainstream success, jump on the bandwagon asking Monolith and Nintendo to crank all the weird shit down from 11 back to zero. I had to return my own copy after a few days. If you think i am being hyperbolic or too harsh, I recommend you actually get inside the graphic designers minds as they spent hours inflating the boobs on a presumably underage teen robogirl until they were bigger than her own head.

Charbox

May 21, 2018
As a fan of anime it's the style that made me give the game a shot, wasn't interested in the first game at the time of its release either but after playing 2 I went to play 1 on the 3DS and had a lot of fun with it aswell.

Anime style I feel helps add a bit more colour and personality to characters with a bit more freedom for developers to have fun with the cutscenes and dialogue I mean there is a reason why most live action anime adaptions never work.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
The reason it is the best-selling is because it is the first entry in an internet-famous franchise to receive widespread release on a popular platform. Its sales are/were actively damaged by the cringe-inducing female character design, Nopons, and other assorted anime bullshit the game thinks you are going to find endearing/boner-inducing. Most of us who have Switch-playing friends know this game's waifu-riffic reputation made them embarrassed to play or even try it. Sorry but if you like that kind of shit I'm also going to assume you are in the market for a life-sized waifu pillow.

If you want to see this series receive mainstream success, jump on the bandwagon asking Monolith and Nintendo to crank all the weird shit down from 11 back to zero. I had to return my own copy after a few days. If you think i am being hyperbolic or too harsh, I recommend you actually get inside the graphic designers minds as they spent hours inflating the boobs on a presumably underage teen robogirl until they were bigger than her own head.
This.

It's the exact same thing with Fire Emblem: Awakening - a mediocre game in every aspect that pushes fanservice over good writing, mechanics and characterisation that nevertheless sells far better than the previous games because it released early on a successful system at a point where they had pretty much no other JRPGs to play, and was the first game in the series to be properly marketed.

Last edited:

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Stop using this argument, badly recieved games don't sell, and even more so when they have had long legs like xenoblade 2 has. Long legs = good word of mouth, its that simple.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Stop using this argument, badly recieved games don't sell, and even more so when they have had long legs like xenoblade 2 has. Long legs = good word of mouth, its that simple.
Nobody said it was badly received. Just very, very mixed. I think most people who can stomach the awful, sexualised designs would agree there's a good game hiding underneath it. There's criticism of the UIs, unintuitive design choices and battle system, but none of that is as black-and-white offputting as the weirdo shit. Also, check this thread. Check this page. There's people who obviously bought the game solely because of the franchise's prestige but cannot bear to actually endure the reality of the game's content. It is a success because of the online phenonenon that is the Xenoblade series - not the particular elements that made XBC2 notorious by itself. If the game had been released in a vacuum, away from the reputation of its predecessor, or the decade of momentum that started with Project Rainfall, would it have those 'legs'? Or would it mostly be known as this bizarre Nintendo-funded game with an awkward, repressed sexuality that permeated the entire gameplay experience?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody said it was badly received. Just very, very mixed. I think most people who can stomach the awful, sexualised designs would agree there's a good game hiding underneath it. There's criticism of the UIs, unintuitive design choices and battle system, but none of that is as black-and-white offputting as the weirdo shit. Also, check this thread. Check this page. There's people who obviously bought the game solely because of the franchise's prestige but cannot bear to actually endure the reality of the game's content. It is a success because of the online phenonenon that is the Xenoblade series - not the particular elements that made XBC2 notorious by itself. If the game had been released in a vacuum, away from the reputation of its predecessor, or the decade of momentum that started with Project Rainfall, would it have those 'legs'? Or would it mostly be known as this bizarre Nintendo-funded game with an awkward, repressed sexuality that permeated the entire gameplay experience?
Once again, long legs = good word of mouth, anecdotal evidence in a niche gaming forum doesnt change reality that overall consensus isn't as mixed as we think it is. Infact on this very forum the game got voted into the top 10 best games of 2017.

I would like to argue that we like to treat anime and its elements as a niche thing that only a certain subset could like but its proving way more popular nowadays

Also whenever I hear people talk about this game in terms of outfits it makes it seem as if we're talking about senran kagura or something, the game has some risque designs but nothing like how it permeates the entire game, because it very much doesn't. Its not like they jump up and down to get a cheap shot of boobs shaking or they somehow pop out of their shirt

Last edited:

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Once again, long legs = good word of mouth, anecdotal evidence in a niche gaming forum doesnt change reality that overall consensus isn't as mixed as we think it is. Infact on this very forum the game got voted into the top 10 best games of 2017.

I would like to argue that we like to treat anime and its elements as a niche thing that only a certain subset could like but its proving way more popular nowadays
You're absolutely right and I withdraw my case. Here are some data points proving you correct:

1) The only people who are bothered by this game's 'sexuality' browse Resetera and similar forums​
2) Modern society is actually increasingly accepting of ephebophilia​
3) None of my friends exist​
4) Western anime fans make no distinction between 'cool anime' (eg. Ghibli, Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan) and 'that weirdo anime bullshit'​
5) I am actually the manufacturer of several life-sized body pillows and this game has been making me rich as fuck​
6) Regardless of the coattails the game rode in on, it was nevertheless suprisingly profitable, and could not possibly be outsold by a re-release of its less creepy predecessor​

takufox

Oct 27, 2017
My only complaint about this game is the RNG for blades. I've been playing close to 150 hrs and haven't gotten

Kos-Mos or Vale

Oct 25, 2017
Best JRPG I played in 2017. I absolutely hated it (mainly due to the visuals) for a few hours, but then I got to the first cutscene where Counterattack kicked in and it hooked me.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Best JRPG I played in 2017. I absolutely hated it (mainly due to the visuals) for a few hours, but then I got to the first cutscene where Counterattack kicked in and it hooked me.
If the next game is indeed Xenoblade 3, there had better be an Engage the Enemy/Counterattack song/moment too!

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Also whenever I hear people talk about this game in terms of outfits it makes it seem as if we're talking about senran kagura or something, the game has some risque designs but nothing like how it permeates the entire game, because it very much doesn't. Its not like they jump up and down to get a cheap shot of boobs shaking or they somehow pop out of their shirt

What are you talking about? XC2 was not some kind of runaway hit or even a long term steady seller by Switch terms. It didn't even sell close to 2 million copies over 2 years. That's good for Xenoblade but again only because this entry was on a successful platform and the Switch in particular comes with a built-in attach rate for first party releases. Tons of people avoided it who would have probably otherwise enjoyed it, purely because of the garbage anime designs and mortifying sexist bullshit that infests it throughout. It's an embarrassment entirely of its own making, and with any luck the remake of XC1 will sell vastly better and we'll never see anything like XC2's waifu shit in the franchise ever again.

Mar 18, 2020
What are you talking about? XC2 was not some kind of runaway hit or even a long term steady seller by Switch terms. It didn't even sell close to 2 million copies over 2 years. That's good for Xenoblade but again only because this entry was on a successful platform and the Switch in particular comes with a built-in attach rate for first party releases. Tons of people avoided it who would have probably otherwise enjoyed it, purely because of the garbage anime designs and mortifying sexist bullshit that infests it throughout. It's an embarrassment entirely of its own making, and with any luck the remake of XC1 will sell vastly better and we'll never see anything like XC2's waifu shit in the franchise ever again.

They remade 1 to look more like 2.

You're out of luck

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes I forgot all of the nude characters in 2

Try a little bit if you're going to bother at all, would you

If I ever put effort into a Xenoblade 2 shitpost I legally give my consent to be shot on sight.

(Also most of the female characters in XB2 are dressed in ridiculously revealing clothing, which is what I was getting at, which you knew)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

"Nice bod you've got there". The camera moving to focus on her chest and crotch. It's not just the designs, the way the camera focuses and zooms in on this stuff in the cut scenes makes it clear who it's aimed at.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
+Story and dialogues
+Most of the main cast
+Chemistry between characters
+Exploration
+Combat
+Music
+Cutscenes direction
-Vast majority of character designs (not even all of those related to the sexualization topic, some are just meh and in general I didn't like the collaboration approach)
-UI/QoL stuff
-The sexualized fanservice, ugh
-Gacha mechanics
-Handheld Switch performance
-Some main characters are plain or trash (Rex and Pyra, Dromarch, Tora)
-I'm sure some fat could have been trimmed
-The final boss sucks ass

Lots of things I liked about the game, lots I didn't like. Still very happy I played it.

Malos/Jin were some of my favorite villains from this generation.

Now play Torna OP, it's actually better imho

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad I'll never play it because of the gross designs and generic anime tropes. I dunno what Monolith and Nintendo were thinking.

Glad you found enjoyment of the game, OP.
This. I really wanted to love this game. Like it, even. But man, these character designs and the whole anime aesthetic destroyed this game for me. So sad, because Xenoblade 1 is one of my all-time favorites. No matter how much I want to try to play it, the whole art style and designs are an instant turn-off for me.

Mar 18, 2020
If I ever put effort into a Xenoblade 2 shitpost I legally give my consent to be shot on sight.

(Also most of the female characters in XB2 are dressed in ridiculously revealing clothing, which is what I was getting at, which you knew)

Meh

It's obvious from the direction they went with the character redesigns that they're not listening to complaints about "anime crap" or exposure, especially not from people who aren't buying or playing the game.

There a lot of terrible designs and I'm also tired of modern Japanese character designers stagnating in the pool of otaku baiting, but the actual game is still enjoyable and as long as there's enough money being made to finance more projects, I don't see Monolith suddenly getting religion.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Last I checked Fiora still has her clothes on.
It was important they rebuilt her with giant fleshy titties in tact. lol 🙄
tScBaCs.png

It's also extremely reductionist of the medium as a whole.

Sadly people as just too eager at wanting to dismiss Xenoblade Chronicles 2 outright.

Is there a better way to divide the sexy highschooler shit from "the serious stuff"?
Like Labor above mentioned, there's a LOT of great stuff, but a lot of the same awful cliches about getting women in compromising situations/outfits has been recycled for decades now...

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"Nice bod you've got there". The camera moving to focus on her chest and crotch. It's not just the designs, the way the camera focuses and zooms in on this stuff in the cut scenes makes it clear who it's aimed at.

Honestly, I'd argue XC2 is maybe more brazen than the games they mentioned. At least they know what they are. They don't pair super serious scenes with ridiculous boob jiggle and shit. I'm in chpater 8 and there's this big dramatic flashback scene and it cuts to Pyra near the end and just she shifts slightly and she flings em around.

I just find the whole theme about like the way blades are used and disposed of and treated like objects clashes horribly with the harem collect em up way the game treats the characters.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monolith got better with Torna. Takahashi lets this stuff slide. I hope he realizes it's not needed. Don't cater to those people. You're pigeonholing your game. Look at the bigger audience to grow. Hopefully, they'll continue off Torna and the next Xenoblade won't have all these fanservice stuff.

Let a great game be a great game. Let it speak for itself.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had too many things that stopped me from liking it:
-Yes, of course the terrible designs for a lot of the Blades from the guest artists.

-The whole gacha system revolving around Blades and making it way more annoying than it needed to be to not only get any particular Blade due to that, but also moving Blades between Drivers being way more limited than it needed to be (like, seriously, why's that even need to be restricted in the first place? Balancing? Already handled IMO by the best ones being so rare in the first place, right? And that doesn't stop you from just happening to be lucky and rolling them on the right character to begin with. It's just an additional punishment for being unlucky. So silly.)

-The field skills. TBH, I didn't even like their equivalent in Xenoblade Chronicles X because I just hate that kind if backtrack-when-you-actually-have-this stuff in games that aren't actually Metroidvanias, especially given the size of X's world and trying to remember where everything was. But fortunately in X's case they were largely optional collectables. In 2's case on the other hand, there's a greater mix of optional and mandatory ones, and the whole thing is silly to me.

-Related to that, there's also the whole relationship or rather the Affinity systen with Blades and stuff, and like the weird and just at times obnoxious requirements to level some of that stuff up, like giving them the right item from your pouch and stuff (when like.... Okay, the way stuff like gifting worked in Xenoblade 1 for affinity points and just knowing what your party members liked was annoying at times, but at least in Xenoblade 1 that's just related to optional Heart-to-heart cutscenes. Tying that into this whole way of powering your Blades up and unlocking stuff for them and whatever in top if it. Ehhhhh......)

-Tora might not be Tatsu, but he's also no Riki. Plus, Blushy-Crushy

-Also speaking of Tora, he's related to where I lost interest in the game entirely. Like, your part gets a clear objective. But instead of actually dealing with that, then everything in Chapter 4 happens, that is, all the nonsense involving Tora and his family. But then around that sane time, there's also that subplot where like your Wind Blade gets stolen and you have to go and get him back and deal with all that until your party finally remembers what their objective was to begin with. Just the whole pacing in that section was abysmal for me, since I was way more interested in the main plot than any of the wacky hijinks that kept happening, but nope, no main plot for you, just more hijinks.

-The combat system for me personally just seemed to be one of the least interesting among the three Xenoblade games. Like, it's so clear that the combat system is fundamentally based around having a party of 3 Drivers with 3 Blades who each have 3 Arts, but it takes forever before they not only give it to you but actually let you have that set up permanently, and even once you do and can really start making maximum use of 2's version of Chain Attacks and stuff, it's just... Not that interesting and just doesn't click with me at all for whatever reason. Like how to put it... Once you finally get all the pieces, it feels like it just puts critical emphasis on a few particular parts of the battle system above and beyond everything else and thise particular systens just aren't really that interesting to engage with for me. Maybe that make sense, maybe it doesn't, but it just doesn't do anything for New either way, especially compared to the other games.

Some of those are small things, other much larger, but collectively they just mean the game did not click with me at all. And it's particularly weird because like particularly with Xenoblade Chronicles X I have a number of complaints as well, namely stuff like the disappointing implementation of Skells (being introduced latee than they should be in general and only starting you with a Level 20 junker, flight coming even later, the whole Skell Insurance thing being nonsense and just killing Skells in general for me, especially for a game that gives you no particular punishment when you die in foot anyway so why does a Skell being killed need such a heavy punishment in such a game to begin with, etc, the silly requirements for being able to even start certain chapters, namely needing to not only be a certain level but needing certain affinity with certain party members you might otherwise ignore which I get the intent of and why it's important but it's still annoying) but nonetheless despite all that stuff I still really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles X, but for 2 it was just different and the issues I had with it did prevent it from keeping my interest.

Glad those who did enjoy it were able to, but this one definitely wasn't for me.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a better way to divide the sexy highschooler shit from "the serious stuff"?
Like Labor above mentioned, there's a LOT of great stuff, but a lot of the same awful cliches about getting women in compromising situations/outfits has been recycled for decades now...

Monolith got better with Torna. Takahashi lets this stuff slide. I hope he realizes it's not needed. Don't cater to those people. You're pigeonholing your game. Look at the bigger audience to grow. Hopefully, they'll continue off Torna and the next Xenoblade won't have all these fanservice stuff.

Yeah, the poster above pretty much said what I was about to post: Check Torna out. It's much more serious and darker than the main campaign, even if it did have its moments of lightheartedness. Torna even managed to make Jin, who was one giant walking Tetsuya Nomura cliche, into someone relatable and somehow made me manage to sympathize with him.

Torna also has no Tora or "dumb fanservice moments" like the main campaign did, so that should alleviate a lot of the fears.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Honestly, I'd argue XC2 is maybe more brazen than the games they mentioned. At least they know what they are. They don't pair super serious scenes with ridiculous boob jiggle and shit. I'm in chpater 8 and there's this big dramatic flashback scene and it cuts to Pyra near the end and just she shifts slightly and she flings em around.

I just find the whole theme about like the way blades are used and disposed of and treated like objects clashes horribly with the harem collect em up way the game treats the characters.
Yeah. Same way the part of Pyra that Rex needs to touch, and the camera to continually focus and zoom in on, is her chest. It's trying to tell a serious story but constantly pairs it up with the otaku bait shit.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020

i think it's less him letting it slide and more him being a driving force for it. If you ever get a chance to read the Xenogears Perfect Works artbook you'll see...

without Soraya Saga or someone like her around a lot of these dudes have no limits.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
i think it's less him letting it slide and more him being a driving force for it. If you ever get a chance to read the Xenogears Perfect Works artbook you'll see...

without Soraya Saga or someone like her around a lot of these dudes have no limits.
I still think people are too utterly dismissive about XC2, if not much more about Torna because of it, despite being a considerable improvement.