• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I previously made a thread about playing through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the first time ( https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...up-to-beginning-of-chapter-6-spoilers.209259/ ) and beat it about two days ago. What an experience that was and especially the latter half of it from Chapter 7 and onwards. Beginning of Chapter 7 was a real drag though. Good thing I just ran by most of everything.

I don't know whether I fully grasped the battle system but it was enjoyable for the most part though I did kinda get tired of fighting towards the end and just afk battled sometimes. I was glad I was pretty high leveled so I kinda just ran past enemies in the end. I kind of did the same with XC1.

There were couple annoyances though especially with the field skills, and RNG stuff. Kinda glad I didn't have to salvage stuff that much later on for quests cause trying to get a particular item was pretty annoying. And as for the rare blades, I didn't even care much unless I really needed it. I didn't even get that one infamous rare blade with the bizarre design (you know the one) and got a few of them. I hate how if you use a Legendary Core Crystal didn't even guarantee a rare blade. I wasted so much of them just to get the common blades.

The story wasn't as grand as XC1 but the characters made up for all that. Getting to know the backgrounds of each of them really help understand their motivations for doing stuff. I think the anime esque writing also helped with connecting with some of the characters though yeah, some of it was pretty bad.

Some character moments that stood out:

MAJOR spoiler now so don't read if you don't want it to be spoiled:
That Nia 'I love you, Rex' moment was hilarious. And Rex's reply with essentially saying I love you back then starts just naming everyone else too like Oprah giveaways. Poor Nia lol.

Zeke being a goofy in the start then getting to become a more serious character in the end was nice.

What was even the point of that invisible third blade? It just disappeared after Rex got an epiphany and that fight with the Phantasm to get the blade was awful.

I like how this game is essentially the 'the friends we made along the way' meme

And can we talk about that ending. MAJOR spoilers for XC1 and XC2:
That Chapter 10 was nuts. After seeing everything was pretty much wrecked in Elysium, then getting revealed that the Architect was Klaus was crazy. Then the whole back story of his two halves and essentially existing in both dimensions of XC1 and XC2 and then hearing Shulk's "Today we fell a god" line was amazing. Now I'm really now I'm really wondering what XC3 is going to be. Also, Ontos = Alvis, right?

The worst thing about Chapter 10 was fighting against Morag. It took a few tries but I finally beat her. Doesn't help that she was pretty overlevelled like me :\

The OST is pretty damn amazing too and I find it better than XC1's OST.

Some of my favourites: (some slight spoilers for location names)

I think I might like this more XC1 -- especially that ending. Is Torna worth it for the story?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad I'll never play it because of the gross designs and generic anime tropes. I dunno what Monolith and Nintendo were thinking.

Glad you found enjoyment of the game, OP.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
We told ya OP, play till the end, it's the last couple of chapters that edged this over XB1 for me.

And yes.. Play Torna! it will only further enhance XB2, it was always going to be part of it. I love Torna a lot.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy that you stuck with it and enjoyed it so much. There's plenty to criticize, but the game just left such a powerful lasting impression on me by the time I finished it that I can't help but love it. Seriously one of my favorite endings of all time.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The "anime stuff" is what made it good. The game itself has a lot of questionable gameplay decisions like the field skills, rare blade gacha, terrible map etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might like this more XC1 -- especially that ending. Is Torna worth it for the story?

I'd say so, yes. But if you're already tired from the general gameplay it could be that you get burned before finishing it, even if there are slight differences from the main game and it's generally way shorter.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my favourite game on the switch after Zelda BOTW. It really is amazing. Agreed regarding the anime tropes though which are a pretty heavy drag on this game.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Despite the anime stuff, the battles either being too short or way too long, all the obtuse systems (like really the only way to unequip a consumable is to equip something else or run out? I have to guess or look up what a blade's favorite whatever is?), the map, and the constantly repeating battle dialogue, yeah the game is fine.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally it was the anime stuff that kept me interested because I was sick of the game play halfway through.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I highly encourage everyone to get the Xeno2 feels out one more time in here so we can avoid that dance in the XenoDE OTs :)

OP
OP
jokkir

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the anime stuff, the battles either being too short or way too long, all the obtuse systems (like really the only way to unequip a consumable is to equip something else or run out? I have to guess or look up what a blade's favorite whatever is?), the map, and the constantly repeating battle dialogue, yeah the game is fine.

Map was fine for me but yeah, those consumables were pretty awful. And the battles taking way too long took it's toll on me hence why I got tried of it by the end

DoomGaze

Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Condescending and dismissive commentary surrounding sexism
Not sure why the anime stuff would be seen as a negative feature. I get people get pissed when women are attractive and in revealing outfits but I think someone would have to be pretty disingenuous to say that the designs are bad. Maybe we don't like them, but they were masterfully done.

One of the very few modern RPG's that has found a way to make grinding fun. I love it.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
XB1 is my favourite game of all time, this is so damn close to being that good, its just a few annoyances that let it down.
(character designs, rng, etc etc etc)

But the story is sooo good. I just finished rewatching all the cutscenes from 2 a few weeks ago, and last night I beat Torna for the first time.
Torna is good but ironically felt a bit too long IMO.

Sidenote: Hugo saying "Don't forget me!" during chain attacks is the BEST inside joke I think I've ever seen in a video game lol

Super excited for the definitive edition this week and seeing what future connected does :D

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Really liked the game but the map made me confused sometimes. the fighting system was as half as complex as it seemed, it was rather boring imo. the music was just awesome.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Not sure why the anime stuff would be seen as a negative feature. I get people get pissed when women are attractive and in revealing outfits but I think someone would have to be pretty disingenuous to say that the designs are bad. Maybe we don't like them, but they were masterfully done.

One of the very few modern RPG's that has found a way to make grinding fun. I love it.

Really my dude? They specifically design the characters to have certain proportions and design the clothes to be incredibly revealing.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I was initially put off by the designs too, and hesitated to buy the game, but I did and it turned out to be one of the best gaming decisions I made all generation.

OP
OP
jokkir

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't find the anime stuff that bad but some of the things like
the giant chibi robo mech

kinda took me out of it. Then I just enjoyed it after.

I gotta add that Ursula's side quest is terrible

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

20171128_050214_thumb.jpg
newt-tank-blade.jpg

There are some really fucking bad designs in there. For every good design there are 2 or 3 shit or over designed ones.

Overdesigned tacky shit aside going from XBX to XBC2 felt like a super massive step back on player customization in combat. It felt lame as fuck to have all these blades but they dont change shit beyond passives, a ball is a ball, a spear is a spear

Last edited:
OP
OP
jokkir

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention other good parts
Seeing the Torna ship turn into a giant robot then fighting Indol while seeing it as background while you climb the tree was great.

And when Malos starts using a Monado so casually. I was shocked to see that.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
OP I couldn't agree more. I'm racing to beat the game before XB 1 drops and I'm currently on chapter 4. My issues with the game lie solely with the whole gacha mechanic and the field skills. It's a JRPG. Anime stuff should be expected.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it on launch and bounced right off it once I got to the point where it was clear that I had no idea how the battle system worked, and in my defense the game does a fairly miserable job of teaching you the complexities of it.

I'll get back to it eventually (I bookmarked a few good videos on the battle system) but for now I think post DQXI I might play the original.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If it weren't for the DLC's auto-combat, I don't know if I would have gotten through it. Wasn't a fan of field skills or the gacha system either. Most everything else though, was quite enjoyable, but XC1 is still the best.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
20171128_050214_thumb.jpg
newt-tank-blade.jpg

There are some really fucking bad designs in there. For every good design there are 2 or 3 shit or over designed ones.

And some really cool ones too. But people only focus on the bad ones for some reason.

Yeah they were inconsistent, but character design is not what makes a game. I can look past that if the game is good, and XC2 was fantastic imo.

latest

latest

OP
OP
jokkir

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on launch and bounced right off it once I got to the point where it was clear that I had no idea how the battle system worked, and in my defense the game does a fairly miserable job of teaching you the complexities of it.

I'll get back to it eventually (I bookmarked a few good videos on the battle system) but for now I think post DQXI I might play the original.

It kinda teaches you throughout the game but some things you'll have to figure out yourself (or at least I think so cause I also dropped it for a year or two)

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad I'll never play it because of the gross designs and generic anime tropes. I dunno what Monolith and Nintendo were thinking.

First reply took the words right out of my mouth. When there are countless other great games to play, I'm not going to waste my time with embarrassing shit.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

I had the same attitude and nearly skipped it for the same reason. I complained so loudly about the character designs prior to launch that several people who were excited for the game put me on Ignore because I was killing their buzz.

Then I played it. It's now one of my favorite games of all time.

Sometimes things just work in context. The heart, the humor. I don't know how to describe it.

All of this is to say, it's a wonderful game, but I totally get you.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It kinda teaches you throughout the game but some things you'll have to figure out yourself (or at least I think so cause I also dropped it for a year or two)

Yeah - I remember some of the tutorials being locked behind payments? like you'd only see them once?

I don't mind having to deep dive into a game's mechanics to get to grips with it, I just didn't really have the wherewithal to do so at the time.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I trained with ascetic monks for a year to achieve the mental strength to ignore the bad stuff in this game. It was pretty good after that.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really loved it too OP. I love all three xeno games for different reasons but I think X is my favorite just because you get to pilot a giant flying transforming mech. Fucking glorious.

Anyway, I can't wait for XCDE and what's next from the team.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried playing it multiple times but I just couldn't stand it at all. By far my least favourite switch game. I'm happy you liked it though

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Yeah this game has so much going against it: shitty blade character designs, horrible launch mechanics (the map, and such) gacha elements, annoying regressed mechanics like field skills and side quests (having to return to the original sender of the quest? Why are we doing it this way again XB series?) some just mind numbingly stupid tropey-stuff but despite ALL of that, I still managed to really love the game.

I'm hoping the Xeno series leaves some or all of that stuff behind.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The British accents alleviated the anime designs for me to a degree, but I just found the combat incredibly boring, I just couldn't continue due it it (and my controller started to drift). It's like the most boring mmo style combat I've ever played in a game.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting until I can play the game at a higher resolution. I put about 10 hours in but felt the game was beautiful but I felt the game looked blurry. I did enjoy what I played but felt the game has some real flaws... would love an excuse to go back into it though.