• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you actually put your PC tower on top of your desk?

• Yes

Votes: 509 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 749 59.5%

• Total voters

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since I switched to smaller form factor builds a decade or so ago, I never put it on the floor.

Lately, I keep mine on top of the furniture under the TV, since I tend to do most of my gaming on the couch.

I used to move it to my desk whenever I wanted to use it there, but a while back I set up and VESA-mounted a raspberry pi to the back of my monitor. I use that to to remotely access the PC when I need it. Same with my home server that sits in a closet.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
UHR5Md6.jpg
gXf0qBO.jpg

I keep my PC on top of a desk if only for the fact that its shares the same space as my consoles and entertainment center with my LG CX 55.

Also because it's not under a desk and in open air it maximizes it's airflow for more efficient cooling. With that being said, the small space where my Xbox Series X sits only has 17 inches clearance and my PC tower is 20 inches tall so even if I wanted to put my PC under the desk it would not fit anyways. Now if I went for a HTPC setup I could probably manage, but still I prefer to keep my PC out in the open since I like to look inside the case with the glass side panel.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
For the ITX build I used to have, it used to be on top of a large desk, which worked really well.
ATX build is elevated from the floor but is not on top of the desk as that would just look weird, and isn't the best use of the space I have.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I have hardwood now, but I'm used to having carpeted rooms. Plus, I just hate knowing I might accidentally kick my PC lol.

With a Karbly countertop, I've got plenty of room for my PC, keyboard, monitor, headphones, amplifier, speakers, etc.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I have a solid wooden desk with 2 sets of pull-out drawers.

However, it houses both my regular monitor, and my 19-inch work laptop.

So the ATX case is parked on the hardwood floor, snugly against the outer wall of the desk. I do clean/dust it once every few months, since the room does have a carpet in it (but it's not touching the PC case).

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I have too many animals to put it in the ground, so it just takes up a dumb amount of space on my desk instead.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
My desktop is on the floor 3 meters away from my desk.

It gets way too hot in the summer.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
since others are posting their setups, here's mine. I probably don't have room for a second monitor unless I move my tower. The corner section of my desk has no support to the floor, so I wouldn't trust it with the weight of my PC, as the case is mostly metal and quite heavy. Though for the most part I really haven't felt the need for a second monitor.

XT0XTmi.jpg

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
On the floor because its hardwood, and there would be no room.
I just dust/vacuum around/under it, and clean the bottom mesh filter because of our cats

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
On the floor. Hardwood but it does not matter cause the intake is on the bottom and there are magnetic dust filters. The interior of the tower is nearly dust free. The only thing I do with the tower is pressing the power button once though. Everything is connected and what isn't can be through various USB outlets.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what desk is this? ikea? dimensions?

Yeah, Ikea.

It's very a common combination in the "battle station world".

If I recall correctly, it's the "LINNMON" with 3 "Adils" (2 on the left side, one centre) and an "Alex" drawers on the right side.
Size, there were some to choose and I chose the ones that best fitted the living room area that was assigned to me by my benefactor (wife).

But if you search around that are people that use kitchen tops in these kinds of setups (from IKEA).

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
On the floor and the floor is carpeted. Done it for err 20 years I guess, never had issues. I don't clean it regularly or well at all really

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Ikea.

It's very a common combination in the "battle station world".

If I recall correctly, it's the "LINNMON" with 3 "Adils" (2 on the left side, one centre) and an "Alex" drawers on the right side.
Size, there were some to choose and I chose the ones that best fitted the living room area that was assigned to me by my benefactor (wife).

But if you search around that are people that use kitchen tops in these kinds of setups (from IKEA).
Figured, I recognized the drawers. Going to be changing my desk to that set up (but with double drawers) but unfortunately don't have an ikea nearby. Wanted a visual on the depth of the desk with a monitor on it, thank you!

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Figured, I recognized the drawers. Going to be changing my desk to that set up (but with double drawers) but unfortunately don't have an ikea nearby. Wanted a visual on the depth of the desk with a monitor on it, thank you!

I can give you details if you need, measurements and that shit. But it's almost 3 am here, so, hit me on pm if you need any of that and I'll reply.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I have a SFFPC (it's like 9L I think) so I keep it on the desk. It's so teeny tiny and actually has a smaller footprint than my work laptop that takes up more of my desk surface area.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If i had the room I would. I can barely fit 2 monitors on my desk, I have to slide my drawing tablet underneath them, and theres no more room.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I have mine on a small cabinet beside my desk. Having it up off the floor reduces dust intake somewhat.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Mine sits ontop of a small drawer/cabinet next to my desk. Best of both worlds. Off the floor and I have all my desk space.