• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you actually put your PC tower on top of your desk?

• Yes

Votes: 509 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 749 59.5%

• Total voters

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Mine's on top my desk. I don't like how much desk space it takes up, but it easier to keep clean this way. I have a cat, so dust and fur build up fast.

Oct 25, 2017
floor, you just need to vacuum more often.

The chance of my dogs peeing on my PC is low but never zero. Therefore, desk.

my cat once puke from the top of the case inside some top ventilations, I think it make short circuit my 970 at the time, or maybe it was coincidence, it have puke all over it, but the guarantee covered it luckily.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Yes, but mine is a ~14 liter small form factor system that takes barely any space. 3700X with a 2080 Ti. I would never put a big ass ATX case on the desk and I really don't care for RGB and glass side panels and all that crap.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing that nobody uses Keyboard/Mouse support like this anymore, for some reason I thought it was still common lol

61mAZcQWitL._AC_SX425_.jpg

this was popular because CRTs would take so much space, nowadays you can just position the monitor a little further back and have the keyboard easily in front of it

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Desk.. I just like the look. I've been considering a inverted case to save a little more space.

Also, no reason to fear putting a PC on the ground.. Any sturdy monitor raiser is good enough to hold the weigh of a PC keeping it of the carpet.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Putting it below the desk. Saves on desk space (my fractal Define R6 is pretty big) and I don't see any real issue with it.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I will once I have my new desk. Too much dust when it's on the floor even though the roomba works every day.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Well, it's a journey. Mine started out on the floor, but I eventually moved it to my desktop. I'm currently considering putting it back on the floor again. I have an old skateboard I'll never use again and I'm thinking of putting the PC on that. Not sure if this is a good idea or if the cat will attempt to skate away with it one day.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
On a floor under the desk. It's a big Full Tower case (can't stand tiny PC cases, such a pain to work in), and it's sitting on a raised platform to avoid the carpet.

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
What really surprised me is the amount of people that still have carpet floors in 2021... Is this an US thing? Maybe because of the climate? I think it's been close to 20 years that I haven't seen a carpet floor here in Brazil..

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Until earlier this week I had a Cooler Master Masterbox Q300P which I kept on the floor. It has rubber handles on each corner which lift it up a couple of inches. However, despite looking really nice it was loud and not great for airflow, so I replaced it with a Fractal Design Focus G which is now on my desk.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What really surprised me is the amount of people that still have carpet floors in 2021... Is this an US thing? Maybe because of the climate? I think it's been close to 20 years that I haven't seen a carpet floor here in Brazil..

At least where I live, in apartments on higher floors it's a requirement (noise reduction I guess).

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, no, there's no room for it. I have a fairly large desk but I also have two 27 inch monitors, so...

empo

Jan 27, 2018
no pets, no carpet, pretty small desk so it goes on the floor
that said even if I had room I can't see a reason to have it on top,

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
It under my TV cabinet since my wife want "Sleek™" and "Clean™" Living room.

Also not into RGB or intricate PC case design.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Use to have it on my desk, but my tower is so big I decided to put it on the hardwood floor.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Used to have it on an end table under the desk, but now store it on top as I needed to move some furniture and get rid of that end table.

Also it's a standing desk and wire mgmt is so much easier not requiring extra slack to account for the constant stretch and pull of lifting and lowering the desk. With the PC on the desktop, I can manage the cabling much cleaner as the movement no longer impacts any of it.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Yes-ish... it's not on the same desk as my monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but it's not on the floor. Rather, it's on a table next to my desk.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
On my desk for look and since I have carpet in my room. I do have a little moveable stand i can place it on but I want to see it etc.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, my desk has a PC shelf so it's down there. I'd think a PC on the desk would be distracting with any lights, fan sounds, etc.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
On my desk. I have a motorized standing desk with a cable management tray and power strip mounted underneath, so the cables move up and down with the desk and I never have any cable clutter or issues with cables being unplugged due to the desk

plus, I have carpet so I prefer having it away from dust / dog hair etc

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
On the floor under the desk.

I used to have it on the desk but that was when I had to swap components in it on more or less a daily basis.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
On the floor.

Its carpeted.

I use a nicely painted black piece of thick wood under it that is cut to basically perfect dimensions.

It's so much better than taking up desk space and having a giant box on display.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Because I have a full sized tower I have it on the bottom shelf of my desk. It's actually so big that I had to remove the sliding keyboard part of my desk since the PC tower has a weird strange angle to it that would hit that sliding keyboard part. So Instead of removing the top of the tower the keyboard thing had to go.

I do keep stuff on top of my desk though, until the last 2 months I kept both my Xbox 360 and PS4 on top of my desk, but now that I have a PS5 and XSX, I have the PS5 at the top of my desk because of its width and I keep the XSX on the bottom near my PC tower.

Another good reason why I have it like this is because I have a lot of physical PS4 games and it's just a lot easier to insert them like this compared to my XSX, where I don't really have any physical Xbox games and plan to play mostly digital stuff. The other issue is that I would use the XSX for multi media stuff but I switched over to the PS5 since I ended up purchasing the multi media remote for it. What are some good XSX multi media remotes?

Even though there is no need for it, I would like to at some point to install a 4K Blu-ray drive into my PC. I use to have a Windows multi media HP remote and IR sensor but I threw that out years ago not thing about how useful that might actually be.

Even if I got a newer bigger deal I would still keep the PC tower in the bottom shelf, I've even seen some pictures of people with ATX towers that are on the top shelf above their monitor, that just doesn't seem safe especially since they have a glass side panel.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Floor, I already think it's noisy enough as it is (it was better when new, now the fan sounds profile are a little on the rough side), it would drive me mad if it was on the desk (I also don't have space on the desk).
It may be different if I had a carpet but I would probably still don't like to have it near my ears.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
My room when I lived with my parents was literally a closet, so I didn't have space to do that. My dad made me an awesome L-desk to make the most of the space I had and it has a dedicated cubbyhole for my PC, and I'm still using it in my apartment.
My PC's in the living room right now, and I don't want to put it back just to take a better picture, but here's one showing off my new case's insanely bright RBG shit.
IMG_20210108_191952.jpg

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, I built my desk from an ikea desktop and then did custom legs with black iron pipe specifically so I could have a shelf built into the legs that it sits on.Yeah, it's close to the ground, but I went with a pretty large case and didn't want to have it on my desktop, would've been huge.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Absolutely not. Why would I want spinning fans in a place where I can more easily hear them?

I put my PC on my desk for a hot minute about a decade ago when I was one of those people who wanted to show off my gaudy LED fans and lightstrips. These days my tower is filled with ugly beige Noctua fans, and built not to draw attention to itself.