• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you actually put your PC tower on top of your desk?

• Yes

Votes: 509 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 749 59.5%

• Total voters

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I put my tower on a bench to the right of my desk...having it slightly below the desk is the perfect height in my opinion

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had or wanted a PC case on my desk. I've got a pretty big desk but with dual monitors and speakers I'd rather have as much space as I can get. I just built a new PC using a Phanteks Evolv X case and it sits under the desk on an old wooden chopping board to keep it off the Persian rug my desk sits on, the subwoofer sits

I built this PC at the start of January and I just cleaned the front dust filter for the first time and there was hardly any dust on it. I just gave it a quick wipe down and all is good.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had enough desk space to raise it up from the floor because it's a stunning looking build, maybe when I move to a bigger place.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I'm noticing that nobody uses Keyboard/Mouse support like this anymore, for some reason I thought it was still common lol

61mAZcQWitL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Using any keyboard on a desk without that keyboard tray is physically uncomfortable for me, I don't know how people do it. I have to have the keyboard as low and close to my waist as possible. I want to be further from my desk, not closer.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I bought specifically case with a window and made it pretty inside with matching parts. Then hid it under my table. Worth it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm noticing that nobody uses Keyboard/Mouse support like this anymore, for some reason I thought it was still common lol

61mAZcQWitL._AC_SX425_.jpg

My desk has one of these built in and I hate it. I play FPS games and it restricts my mouse area. Right now I hang my keyboard off the side slightly to maximize space. Though getting a keyboard without the numpad would help, but I use it often outside of gaming.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for on the desk. If I had hardwood floors that's where it would be though. It's an opaque black monolith, nothing worth looking at.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's in my living room with the rest of my gaming stuff. There's things I appreciate about gaming on a monitor with mouse and keyboard, but nothing I want to play really necessitates that and the couch setup with controller is super nice.

jEwfyri_d.webp

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
On my desk but I don't have the option to put it on the floor, but I've got a big desk it's ok. Mostly due to needing access to rear ports where a hub won't work. Also my vr setup/pulley system was set up with it on the desk. Would rather it be on the floor though!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I keep my gamer battlestation below the desk, to assert dominance over it. (And also because the desk has a built in shelf for it down there.)

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
mini itx look way better on the desk than under it. Smaller cases don't really fill the space the way a full atx tower would and look awkward under a desk imo

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My desk is pretty large, so I can fit it without losing much real estate. Plus the legroom is really cut off with it on the floor.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My desk has one of these built in and I hate it. I play FPS games and it restricts my mouse area. Right now I hang my keyboard off the side slightly to maximize space. Though getting a keyboard without the numpad would help, but I use it often outside of gaming.

Can't you move the mouse/keyboard to the desk (if there's enough space)?

I'm moving and bought a desk with this support, but I'll try to not use it and see how it goes.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Having carpet flooring is a pretty rare thing where I'm from so I never thought about that being the reason some people don't have it on the floor. Makes a little more sense now. My room gets pretty dusty though so I have to clean it quite often.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Can't you move the mouse/keyboard to the desk (if there's enough space)?

I'm moving and bought a desk with this support, but I'll try to not use it and see how it goes.

I've tried it, but the height of the desk is higher than I'd like, so I'd have to raise my chair, but then I'd be higher off the ground than I'd like.

This is a nice desk, but its not great for gaming. Not sure if I just want to live with it or not. At the moment I turn my mousepad vertical, and have about 11 inches of horizonal mouse space. A smaller keyboard will give me a few more inches to work with.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's on the floor next to my desk.

My room has carpet though so I bought a little hardwood platform on wheels on Amazon. Worked out pretty well actually.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
My desk is for computer books I'm never going to read and paper's that should probably be recycled so, there is obviously no room for a tower.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
On Desk:

- Front panel has manual fan adjustment so I can just reach out for it to turn it on for gaming. I can probably do so if it was under my desk but still more fiddling.

- I need to take out hard drives sometimes. Not often, but often enough that I can see what I'm doing by just removing the side panel and no need for bending down on all fours etc.

- same thing with usb sticks and usb CD drives. No need to bend down etc. Not a big issue with some cases that have the ports on the top of the case if it was on the floor.

- troubleshooting - once had some hard drive trouble and fidgeted around with different sata cables etc. Can't imagine the extra chore of doing it in an awkward position.

- To clean I like to use compressed air blower, I just take the side panel off and go to town (wear a mask obviously). Same with removing case dust panels and cleaning them.

- I like looking at the case and this is just a basic case with no fancy RGB.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No, my desk is too small for it and all the other stuff to fit right now. But even if I made room, I'd probably get paranoid that it would topple over somehow.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
Mines on the floor with furniture coasters under it. Keeps it off the carpet and glides nice and easy across the carpet if i need to move it.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
No it's too imposing on my small desk and I like having my monitor centred. It's on the floor under my desk.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Desk because it looks cool and carpet.
Have been considering getting a floor stand for it, but eh.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Hell no. My tower is fucking huge and it would block off so much view (also my desk and computer is standing in my living room besides my TV board and the TV).

I have a big desk and it's still too small so putting up that tower wouldn't help at all. So it stands on wooden floor under my desk.

Uzzy

Gabeā€™s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
My tower is fuck off huge and sits on my desk. Carpeted floor is no good for PC cases.

Jun 2, 2019
My desk is huge and i modified it years ago with an even larger board, on top of that, my 2 cats basically live in my room so the floor gets filled with their fur easily, so i have my PC tower installed in a corner of my desk (and i still have room for 2 monitors and stuff)

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
i always put my PC on something, usually my table. I've got 2 reasons for that:
1. when i was a kid, we had a pipe burst at night, and i woke up to see my flip flops floating about 10cm above the floor. so since then i try not put put things on the floor. only things on the floor are my shoes, and my dog's beds.
2. easy access. since i lived in a time, where disks were needed to be changed a lot (first the big floppy ones, then the small ones, then CDs, then DVDs), and then I needed access to the USB ports (college homework is so infuriating), i wasn't in the mind of bending down. i was lazy.
3. ok, so 3 reasons: i used to tinker with my PC a lot. it means that i opened the case many times, and put cards in and out every now and then. having it laying on the round doesn't help at all
4. i meant 4. 4 reasons: airflow. i'm used to put the PC where nothing obstructs the airflow, and it can cool itself better.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Desk.
No space on floor (desk has cabinet), easier to clean up the dust and easier to plug in cables.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
My case is too big to go on my desk so it's on the floor(under my desk). I have hardwood floors.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I have a chonky monolith type case. I don't want that shit on my desk.

Electronics generally look garish, especially gaming stuff. Most PCs aren't something I would want to display prominently in my home. Seeing all those LED monstrosities always makes me wince.

But hey, you do you.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
NZXT H1 on my desk yes. Not the smallest SFF but still small enough and looks cool. But I agree I didn't like the look of my full sized ATX PC on my desk before.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, i can't stop my cats from sleeping on it when it's on (heated flat surface, can't be helped for these lil' fuckers). So at least, on the desk, i can shoo them off if need be. And it would be on the carpet otherwise, and no thanks for the amount of dust it would collect that way.

Apr 18, 2018
Floor, I have a decent sized desk with dual monitors and like the look with minimal clutter. Gone are the days of having all of my boxed games neatly arranged on the deskšŸ˜Š

It's on carpet but I keep it clean. It does have a noisy PSU and thought it would be quieter on carpet rather than wood but I think I'll see if that makes any difference.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My desk has a lot more surface space than floor space so it goes on top. I've had it on the floor before but it left little leg room.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Got carpet so keeping it off the floor is easier to keep it cleaner, plus it's a mid sized tower so it's not too big.