• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Season3Promo.jpg

So, I just came across this Tv series on my Netflix recommendations, Designated Survivor.

Watched four episodes and I'm really liking so far.

The problem is I just found out that the series was canceled after its third season.

So, my question is: is it worth watching even though the series was canceled? Did they manage to wrap things up at the end of this third season?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first season.

I was in it for the "Homeland-Style" conspiracy story arc, not the "nice, out-of-the-box-thinking bipartisan i-never-asked-for-this-job" president and his 'polical-issue-du-jour'

Season 1 answered the questions on who's behind the bombing reasonably well. It's a decent enough jumping-off-point, so i was okay with not watching Season 2 and onwards.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The series doesn't get a satisfying ending, no. Not a real cliffhanger either, but you can't tell it's not how they wanted things to end.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I gave up on the show half way through season one, when it came back from its mid season break.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I really disliked this show, which is unfortunate because the premise was great.

The characters were just such goodie two shoes. It was so corny and not in a good way imo. I watched the entirety of the first season, never bothered with the others

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I gave up on it after the 1st season. I don't think the tone of shows like this are for me. I couldn't stand 24 either.

Person of Interest though, now that's a good cheesy conspiracy show.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Season 1 is really about the initial premise (govt is destroyed, inexperienced dude becomes president and has to rebuild), but seasons 2 and 3 are really just government drama like other political shows.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Season3Promo.jpg

So, I just came across this Tv series on my Netflix recommendations, Designated Survivor.

Watched four episodes and I'm really liking so far.

The problem is I just found out that the series was canceled after its third season.

So, my question is: is it worth watching even though the series was canceled? Did they manage to wrap things up at the end of this third season?
It's worth watching season 1, overall you get closure. I stopped watching 2 episodes into season 2. Just consider the series as having ended after season 1.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was fine through three seasons. The ending doesn't really provide much closure, but it also wasn't like a complete cut-off.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
We really enjoyed season 1. Season 2 we were hoping it would return to form. Season 3 was a waste of time. After the let down of Season 3 I decided I wasted my time on it. Not many shows can make me say that.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Season 1 is good (though never great), but season 2 is such a step down. I never watched season 3, and never had any interest in doing so after the second season.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
First season was great, but then it went nowhere.

Third season, though... not gonna spoil it... I can totally see people in the Trump administration trying to pull that off.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's terrible. We gave up halfway through S1 I think. It was already annoying with the Telltale game style decision trees of, "Mr. Pres you must make shocking choice A or shocking choice B, and you must do it right NOW [they will remember that...] The nail in the coffin was the main conspiracy plot reaching ridiculous levels of absurdity.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Just finished season 3 today oddly enough. Season 1 was fun in a campy way, season 2 wasnt as great.

Season 3 was actually decent but boring. The story was way better but they basically did a character assassination on all of the main characters for a plot line that will never happen with a season 4.

they noticeably went in with the swearing and the sex with season 3. Trying to be House of Cards or some shit.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it except for when they killed off one of the main characters because they had their own story arc that the writers didn't seem to know how to blur with the primary arc.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah watch season 1, it's pretty good, just stop there. After the main original conceit is dealt with they never really know how to take it from there, and it turns into a different kind of series that's not nearly as interesting.

it turns into a kind of house of cards, but since they already established Sutherland is the most perfect president ever, all conflicts are ephemeral and not because of character development

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine, at best, I guess? The entire thing is leaning on Kiefer Sutherland, and he does okay for the most part. The writing is very by the numbers, though. Like everyone else said, there's not much reason to watch past the first season. It really just becomes off-brand West Wing after that.

(also their whole "well, i can see both sides!" shtick doesn't really play too well for me considering the current political climate)

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 was fine. Don't worry about the rest which tried hard to be West Wing lite.

There is also a Korean adaptation called Designated Survivor: 60 Days which might entertain you too