• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
You can't equivocate when it comes to antisemitism or any kind of bigotry. In the same way Brees needed to be shut the fuck down when he used his platform to spread harmful nonsense about why people kneel, same with DJAX. You can't do the whole "he's just ignorant" thing when it comes to views as dangerous and ubiquitous as antisemism and anti-BLM rhetoric. Even if that's true, it does not matter. You need to shut it down and have a 0 tolerance policy towards anything along those lines.

Misc1234

Jun 26, 2020
Overcoming racism and bigotry requires education, and dialog between communities. Browbeating may shut people up, but it won't change their views imo, and those same sentiments will just fester underground, until they bubble up again. On the other hand, the lack of outrage from other athletes, is disturbing. As is the politicization of racism. It's disturbing how, for many, right-wing/left-wing have their teams, and are selectively aggrieved.

To me, the answer is to work together as a community to educate, rather than beat down and punish.

This isn't "the easy way out" either. Teaching people to change their perspective, or to look at things from another's perspective, can be hard and painful.

TLDR: Rehabilitation over punishment, generally.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When white people start paying attention to Hoteps it's gonna be over. ALL y'all getting cancelled on Twitter lol
God, it's been time to cancel hoteps. They're parasites, you see them at Trump rallies and you see them taking advantage of the BLM movement.

You don't quote fucking Hitler of all people if you're not at the very least anti-semitic. Even if it's fake, there's no wrong way to take that quote. It's fucked up, full stop.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I have to say this hits extremely close to home (literally and figuratively) because of an incident with a neighbor. I had just moved to where I am about a year ago, and things were fine and dandy, the guy seemed pretty darn cool for the most part...until we had dinner together. He started saying that I wasn't really jewish (which I even conceded in the sense that chances are I'm not a descendant of Abraham) and all the other stuff that follows the narrative seen by these imbeciles in the OP. Not to mention he called me racist for making a comment that was me trying to quell his conspiratorial rant of jewish illuminati...and all I said was something along the lines of "well at least a black dude, jewish dude, and German dude (the other neighbors are from Germany) can all break bread together". I ended up walking out on the dinner, so I guess I was wrong in this instance...have to see that guy almost every day too, gives me the willies every time. Neighbors, races, People need to unite in both our similarities and differences. Life is often a damn mess, we gotta try to make it easier for each other.

What makes it hard for me to make posts like this is that I understand that I personally don't have it bad in comparison to others who have to deal with this stuff constantly. I blend into the shadows of "white culture", I don't even have a religious identity. I don't want to bring up the phrase "self-hating jew", but at some level it really does apply. I want to be proud of who I am, but I don't even know what the hell that is sometimes.

Last edited:

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Just saw this on reddit and thought I'd share this from Ray Allen who is a former NBA star. He went to Poland to see the camps in person and would take his teammates to the holocaust museum in DC when they played the wizards.

www.theplayerstribune.com

Why I Went to Auschwitz | By Ray Allen

This is not history. This is humanity. This is now. This is a living lesson for us as a people.

What a great read, thanks for sharing. I agree that every human being should experience this once.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
I think he should be cut for that (though they didn't cut Riley Cooper in 2013). It's crazy to me that grown-ass adults who are against bigotry perpetuate it and are seemingly fine with it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For fuck's sake.

Am I crazy for thinking that it's not a real Hitler quote makes it worse, somehow? Like, it's godawful fucking terrible either way. But somehow... if it's a real Hitler quote, and you agree with it, you're an antisemite. But if it's a fake Hitler quote, and you agree with it, you also basically went out of your way to agree with Hitler when you didn't even need to. It's this extra level of "fuck you" on top.

Fuck this dude.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Stephen Jackson should lose his job. Desean should at the very least be suspended or even released. It's hate speech, through and through.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
As I said in the other thread, he should be cut.

Anti-semitism, like all bigotry, isn't as much about "what you feel in your heart" as it is about your actions or lack thereof. The fact that he saw nothing wrong with the stuff he posted and in his apology claimed that people "took it the wrong way" pretty much shows he's anti-semitic. I think writing it off as "he's just a dumb athlete" is bullshit.

Will he get cut is probably a more interesting question, as you have a white/Jewish owner and a white/Jewish general manager who didn't do anything when a white receiver was angrily calling people nigger at a concert a few years ago. If they do get rid of him, they'll definitely get backlash that they didn't act when a white guy did a racism and if they don't it makes it look like the Eagles are the team to play for if you want to do a racism and not face any consequences. I think the League needs to step in and take the decision out of the Eagles hand with a six game ban and mandatory sensitivity training or something like that.

The aftermath of it is almost more infuriating than his comments what with the hotep crowd doubling down on anti-Jewish conspiracies and the All Lives Matter crowd using this as an example of why Terry Crews was right. Both sides are dumb as hell and neither seem to actually care about Jewish people.

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
This post is absolutely disgusting. This is the equivalent of arguing "i'm not a racist, I just wasn't aware"

People go through insane logical loops to try and justify racist behaviors. The poster even put the onus on the Jews in Desean's life to disavow him in order to prove Desean is anti-Semitic.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
This is starting to confirm my theory that no one accidentally quotes hitler when they know its hitler.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017

From someone The Ringer hired to (rightfully) address their all white millennial staff.

Man.

WTF
...I think the Ringer needs to probably get rid of that dude if he's the one who is leading their "diversity" efforts. Makes me question a lot of the complaints about the Ringer's lack of diversity if those same folks criticizing the Ringer are gonna let this one pass.

Also, the Eagles seem to be offering Desean a chance to grow, which I think is 100% the right call (as with Cooper). Tim Hardaway was a great example of someone whose views changed when given the opportunity to actually grow and learn.

Nov 1, 2017
All the people defending this anti-Semitic hotepery can fuck off. I don't pay attention to any of these athletes but I feel like the signs had to have been there for Stephen Jackson. You don't just trip into that garbage about owning all of the banks.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Overcoming racism and bigotry requires education, and dialog between communities. Browbeating may shut people up, but it won't change their views imo, and those same sentiments will just fester underground, until they bubble up again. On the other hand, the lack of outrage from other athletes, is disturbing. As is the politicization of racism. It's disturbing how, for many, right-wing/left-wing have their teams, and are selectively aggrieved.

To me, the answer is to work together as a community to educate, rather than beat down and punish.

This isn't "the easy way out" either. Teaching people to change their perspective, or to look at things from another's perspective, can be hard and painful.

TLDR: Rehabilitation over punishment, generally.

Brah the dude is quoting fake Hitler and talking about the Rothschilds

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the Eagles seem to be offering Desean a chance to grow, which I think is 100% the right call (as with Cooper). Tim Hardaway was a great example of someone whose views changed when given the opportunity to actually grow and learn.

Grow from quoting what he thought was literally Hitler?

What everyone gets one free Hitler as part of their growth?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and he's not even dictating he's literally just observing and inquiring

also pretty sure matthew berry is Jewish so.....

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I love that we expect so little that some people here are acting like quoting Hitler in agreement and talking about the Rothschild conspiracy as if it is real is just part of being young or some shit, that it's something people just grow out of it like it's an emo phase

Oct 27, 2017
It always blows my mind and makes me irrationally angry/disappointed, when other black folk are bigoted to people.

Like nigga.....you have quite possibly the strongest predisposition for empathy of most other marginalized peoples. And you just IGNORE it, and immediately punch down when given the chance???

Like, fuck!

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Matt Barnes isn't a nutter. I don't think I can watch all of the smoke anymore. I would really like to see some very strong condemnation from other athletes instead of the tacit approval a lot seem to be giving.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I love that we expect so little that some people here are acting like quoting Hitler in agreement and talking about the Rothschild conspiracy as if it is real is just part of being young or some shit, that it's something people just grow out of it like it's an emo phase

Desean aint young, he's 33 years old.

Misc1234

Jun 26, 2020
Brah the dude is quoting fake Hitler and talking about the Rothschilds

Yeah, it's obviously extremely hateful, antiemetic and idiotic. I personally believe education is the best way to actually minimize it, at the root, in the long term. Just shutting people up, but not educating them is like throwing a blanket over a stain, instead of cleaning it.

How do you suggest we end rampant antisemitism? And I mean end it, not just let it fester underground among the ignorant until they feel they have the power to act on it.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Stacks defense here is inexcusable, he's got to be gone from All the Smoke. Antisemitic as fuck we don't need to make any excuses.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's obviously extremely hateful, antiemetic and idiotic. I personally believe education is the best way to actually minimize it, at the root, in the long term. Just shutting people up, but not educating them is like throwing a blanket over a stain, instead of cleaning it.

How do you suggest we end rampant antisemitism? And I mean end it, not just let it fester underground among the ignorant until they feel they have the power to act on it.
You can't rationalize with the irrational.

Misc1234

Jun 26, 2020
I also think it's sad that there's been little to no condemnation of the idea that Jews are "fake".

Whether Ashkenazi or Sephardic or Mizrahi, genetics show Jews have a direct line back to the Levant.

Denying a people's history is fucked up as well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

See, here's the thing. This whole... festering underground thing hasn't really ever been the case. These people have always had platforms to spread their bullshit. Taking those platforms away is how you fight the problem.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Well you don't do it by continuing to make antisemites rich!

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Seems like every other day i see some casual or extreme anti-semitic drivel online, it's so tiring.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's one part of fighting the problem.
I mean, it's the Big Thing. This is what comes up every time people talk about deplatforming as a solution - that you'll just drive them underground and they'll continue to spread their hate. Look at people like Milo or Baked Alaska. They got denied their big platforms and they didn't find alternate venues, they just about fuckin' vanished. They're spending their days whining about Twitter on Parler now. They're not spreading their hate to anybody who isn't actively seeking it out any more.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
stephen jackson is an antisemite. he thinks that jews are blackmailing and extorting america, expressing agreement with desean jackson's post and claiming what desean posted was the truth. he believes that the rothschilds control all the banks. it's too bad he was one of the faces of the blacklivesmatter movement after his friend's murder by the police, but this just reeks of opportunism and selfishness.

i know people are clowning on terry crews but this is exactly what crews is talking about when he says he doesn't want the movement to turn into "blacklivesbetter." to stephen jackson, hatred against jews doesn't matter. repeating antisemitic tropes about the jewish banker bogeyman, according to him, is the "truth." to him, only hatred against blacks counts. proliferating nazi ideology and hatred against jews is fine.