• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you do for a living?

• Teacher or Professor

Votes: 37 5.3%
  • STEM professional

Votes: 230 33.2%
  • Licensed professional (medical doctor, lawyer, psychologist, dentist, etc)

Votes: 56 8.1%
  • Tradesperson (plumbing, electrician, contractor, etc)

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • Fine Arts, Theater, Graphic Design, Music, Sculpture

Votes: 75 10.8%
  • Business (salesperson, manager, entrepreneur, accountant, marketing)

Votes: 140 20.2%
  • Other, unemployed, student, disabled, or miscellaneous

Votes: 123 17.7%

• Total voters

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a student getting my PhD in bioengineering. My focus is on computational biology and synthetic biology and protein diseases. I design and study proteins on the computer and then I test them in the lab for certain properties, which can be used to solve protein diseases, develop vaccines/drug targets, etc. After my PhD I want to do a postdoc research opportunity, maybe in Immunology.

What do you do for a living?

edit: god damnit I meant for this to be in off topic. Sorry era!

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Nothing, I just graduated college (got a STEM Degree though) and I'm trying to find a new job :( (I do stream (yes I'm a Twitch Affiliate) as a hobby to try to make side income until I get a stable job lol)

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a SysAdmin and developer for a document rendering engine and platform for a big insurance company.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This describes my job and thought process pretty well:

tenor.gif

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
I cut tall grass and break pots and sometimes find rupees in them

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I love doing thumbnails lol, I have someone who pays me for them and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at doing them. It's also feels like a small creative outlet for me to bring something to life kind of? If that makes sense
I get you.

Before I joined IGN, I had fun making thumbnails on my own channel as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) focusing on engineering, services and trades in building design and construction.

Basically, if you are an architect, know that I hate you.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I get you.

Before I joined IGN, I had fun making thumbnails on my own channel as well.

giphy.gif

I picked it up as a hobby mostly because I always wanted to learn and then I taught myself throughout college just for fun and now I'm here. Usually, I'd post one to get an opinion but that would feel weird unless I was asked. However, it's good to know I'm not speaking complete nonsense!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Journalist for a local newspaper, mostly writing about politics on a municipal to state level.

Basically, my job is to make everyone mad at me.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
As of a fortnight ago, NEET.
giphy.gif

The government gives me money to exist in exchange for being Autistic.

I don't recommend it.
It's bad for your mental health.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
IT Finance and Operations management / thinking of rebranding as FinOps because it's a trending buzz word...

I don't think I'm as clever as OP.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a tech, media, and telecom investment banker who works primarily in mergers & acquisitions, and I do some venture capital work on the side.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Front-end web developper. I make websites look like the designs i've been provided. More or less.

(note that i didn't say "look good", just "look like what i've been asked").

Debanius

Oct 27, 2017
Currently I'm still a director of TV and online commercials, but I will join an Airline Pilot Program mid 2020.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I build and maintain software. Mobile, frontend/web, backend/servers, device-integrated software, desktop apps. Anything that comes across my desk really.

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
I am a professional pessimist who makes a living pointing out other people's errors.

I'm a software tester 😄

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I work in communications for a museum. Includes everything from writing stories for the web, project work for new website development, planning wayfinding and messaging to visitors in the museum building, etc

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I work hard at avoiding hard work.

As a natural perfectionist, it would be nice if this were true. I've always been driven to get ideal results.

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly sit in a room playing games on my laptop, or board games, taking the occasional phone call from medical professionals and other hospital workers needing IT/computer help.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
About 1/3 to half of my working time goes into writing for a game magazine. Previews and reviews mostly. It's my steady (but low) income.

The rest of my time I work as a screenwriter (half of which is probably procrastinating). Worked three years in a writer's room for a crime series, have written a couple of shorts (mostly animation) and I've been working on a couple of feature films in various capacities. Monday shooting starts on one I co-wrote, coming late into development to tackle the script after the original two writers weren't able to detach themselves enough anymore to find the solution to the problems of the script. It'll be my first feature credit.

That screenwriting income is non-steady of course, but pays way better than the journalism thing.