• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the michael jordan meme has never been appropriate

Dr1UNmfWsAIJvhR.jpg

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
"It will be safe!!"
Meanwhile this same state breaks infection and death daily record.

Why aren't reporters yelling this at him when he speaks?

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Just going to post this opinion price from the NY Times for some balance to some reactionary hysteria.

www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/opinion/coronavirus-schools.amp.html

I'm comfortable saying most schools in this country are simply not equipped to act on even half of these ideas. Not to mention the time it would take to properly plan and implement safer transportation, adaptive curriculums that can switch to online instruction on a dime, in-school "bubbles" in districts where classes push 30 students each, etc.

The biggest issue is that, and that article you link admits to this, we simply do not know the impact it will have on children short (infection rate) and long term. What I do know is that if I had a child, I would not subject them to so many unknowns because my district is unprepared to handle a crisis like this, so opting out is crucial. I think most parents would take that route.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
What's going to be so gross is the point when schools because these SUPER super spreaders and the virus exploded everywhere and teachers are dying... they will have the audacity to look at the camera and say "we have no idea how this is happening..."

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
"I'm confident, if you can do Home Depot, if you can do Walmart, if you can do these things, we absolutely can do the schools."

I've seen this argument being made but using Disney/ theme parks as a substitute for Home Depot and Walmart.

On my Facebook feed from a school administrator no less. She said "If parents are still taking their kids to Disney or Universal then I think kids can go back to school".

The sense of entitlement and false superiority is leading to this country's downfall.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm comfortable saying most schools in this country are simply not equipped to act on even half of these ideas. Not to mention the time it would take to properly plan and implement safer transportation, adaptive curriculums that can switch to online instruction on a dime, in-school "bubbles" in districts where classes push 30 students each, etc.

The biggest issue is that, and that article you link admits to this, we simply do not know the impact it will have on children short (infection rate) and long term. What I do know is that if I had a child, I would not subject them to so many unknowns because my district is unprepared to handle a crisis like this, so opting out is crucial. I think most parents would take that route.
The point of the Op-Ed is that should we focus on this. What is the Trump Administration doing to help? Absolutely nothing.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
The point of the Op-Ed is that should we focus on this. What is the Trump Administration doing to help? Absolutely nothing.

Excuse me?

The administration is doing everything they can right now; The Donald has even convinced the CDC to downgrade their recommendations for student / faculty / staff safety requirements in order to force schools to open before it's safe.

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me?

The administration is doing everything they can right now; The Donald has even convinced the CDC to downgrade their recommendations for student / faculty / staff safety requirements in order to force schools to open before it's safe.

PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT.
They haven't actually. It was an empty threat.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just going to post this opinion price from the NY Times for some balance to some reactionary hysteria.

www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/opinion/coronavirus-schools.amp.html
This is ridiculous. Kids have no symptoms usually and are easy spreaders. And teachers shouldn't be forced to return to work or lose unemployment benefits. And if they are inhumanely forced back, it will spread the virus raplidy to teachers and parents who are at risk. Development for children is not more important. 100k+ extra people dying is.

Vyrance

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm not sure how schools will be able to handle all the PPE they will need, considering here in Florida a lot of teachers have to buy their own supplies already

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
At least he acknowledged that education is essential. Maybe going forward we'll appreciate and prioritize pre-K and K-12 education more after this is all over.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is such a difficult issue. I hate the unilateral approach the GOP is taking, but at the same time public schools provide more than education. For some kids, it's literally their meal ticket. For some parents it's the only form of childcare they can afford. I do sympathize with the teachers, probably better than most since I actually have to wear PPE and see COVID patients on a daily basis, but I think with appropriate precautions they can minimize their risk, especially if we can supply teachers with respirators. Schools are going to be a hot bed, I won't lie, but a vaccine is still a long ways off and getting a majority immunized is even further off.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
I guess let's just have the kids run the schools too, since apparently there's no older folks that work there

Ragaar31

Oct 25, 2017
As an educator in Florida, I'm fucked. I'm trying to figure out how to keep myself away from my family once I'm forced to go back. Haven't really come up with a good solution yet.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully all the teachers go on strike then. No good reason for schools to be open if teachers are like "Naw, we have a union. We're not fucking around with that shit."

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
11000 kids in Florida were infected from Covid

And you have this. A teenager who died just after turning 17. DeSantis killed that teenager after touting Trump's bullshit