• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
He's not another Trump at all.

These "Who's the next Trump?" threads always downplay what was Trump's greatest asset: he was a household name. Decades of being a New York "mogul" name dropped in movies and years more of The Apprentice gave Trump a mythos that the right gravitated to and that prevented the left from taking him seriously until it was too latr. Desantis has none of this, and he has the charisma of a soggy roll of toilet paper to boot.

Unless you follow politics (which the average person does not) or live in Florida, you likely don't give a shit who Florida's governor is.

If y'all want to know who the next Trump is, he's staring y'all dead in the face:

Musk, y'all. It's Musk. That's who y'all should be afraid of ever running for President, because he could very well win. He has every component Trump did, and one thing Trump didn't: large chunks of the left openly stan, despite him being a detestable asshole.
He's not natural born.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
He's not another Trump at all.

These "Who's the next Trump?" threads always downplay what was Trump's greatest asset: he was a household name. Decades of being a New York "mogul" name dropped in movies and years more of The Apprentice gave Trump a mythos that the right gravitated to and that prevented the left from taking him seriously until it was too latr. Desantis has none of this, and he has the charisma of a soggy roll of toilet paper to boot.

Unless you follow politics (which the average person does not) or live in Florida, you likely don't give a shit who Florida's governor is.

If y'all want to know who the next Trump is, he's staring y'all dead in the face:

Musk, y'all. It's Musk. That's who y'all should be afraid of ever running for President, because he could very well win. He has every component Trump did, and one thing Trump didn't: large chunks of the left openly stan, despite him being a detestable asshole.

He's crass just like Trump, he gives the audience what they want. He's seen the Trump playbook and does it all better than him. It's nothing about celebrity, it's the attitude and all. And yes I'm from FL, the people here LOVE Desantis. Desantis is becoming a golden boy of the GOP that other extreme right in the GOP point to and go "oh yea that's our guy, I wish he was my governor!"

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really starting to believe the chances of a Trump/DeSantis ticket winning the presidency are very likely. This decade is going to continue to fucking suck.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to be Astel the naturalborn for any other positions besides President?

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It kind of is wrong though. African Americans refers to people with ancestry from Africa. Elon's parents were descended from colonizers of Africa.

I think that's a really important distinction.

It is the distinction. I was born in North Africa, have American citizenship, and I would never in a million years call myself African American (nor do I checkmark it on various forms even when the only other option is "white"). Anyone who does or who describes people without black ancestry in Africa as such immediately goes on my shitlist.

And it isn't just a right-wing thing either. Plenty of assholes on the left do the same thing. They think they're fucking clever. Maybe 1% are genuinely ignorant and take the term overtly literally without knowing any better but the vast majority know exactly what they're doing. There are potentially nuanced arguments about the term as a whole but they're never interested in actually making them, preferring instead to be pedantic morons.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
He's crass just like Trump, he gives the audience what they want. He's seen the Trump playbook and does it all better than him. It's nothing about celebrity, it's the attitude and all. And yes I'm from FL, the people here LOVE Desantis. Desantis is becoming a golden boy of the GOP that other extreme right in the GOP point to and go "oh yea that's our guy, I wish he was my governor!"

I mean, we'll see. But I'm not seeing the ability of DeSantis appeal to move beyond the hard right, and that's what got Trump elected.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah. Sure 🤷🏿‍♂️ That can be said too.
The proper thing would also be South African- American. He has the luxury of knowing where he came from with certainty.

Many other black Africans were sold, kidnapped, beaten, raped, and enslaved coming to the colonies and other parts of the world with our origins and identities robbed. So it becomes extra difficult to trace exact countries and tribes within the continent.

I can easily get pissed because DeSantis and plenty of other racist assed white people are playing cute with that terminology when they know full well what they're doing.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It kind of is wrong though. African Americans refers to people with ancestry from Africa. Elon's parents were descended from colonizers of Africa.

I think that's a really important distinction.
To the right leaning people, it doesn't really matter. They will push the bar back to, "well, your liberal science books say we all came from Africa so I am an African American too!"

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
To the right leaning people, it doesn't really matter. They will push the bar back to, "well, your liberal science books say we all came from Africa so I am an African American too!"

I think it's more likely that the right
  1. Wants friends who are "African American"
  2. Does not want to be personally perceived as "African American"

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
This is funny and fucked up at the same time.
I know it's not right to generalise but I feel the default for white south African to be racist towards black people unless proven otherwise.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Part of Trump's appeal to moderates/non-voters is that he was an "political outsider" who would "shake up Washington". DeSantis doesn't bring that same appeal in the slightest.

DeSantis has a high approval rating despite red tide increasing under him, approving to dump toxic waste water, restricting abortion even further, the don't say gay bill and threaten Disney by increasing property tax on Central Floridians. That's just the surface of the problem

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Joe Rogan.

And you best believe I'll be caping for The Rock against him as he's probably the only person that has as much recognition and a similarly following. Disgusting what politics have come to.

DeSantis is probably winning 2028 though.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Shitheels love to recycle jokes among themselves. This one has been going around since Musk announced he was going to buy twitter.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there has to be some way to foment dissention between him and Trump, easiest way is for the media/social media to start picking DeSackless as the front runner and let Trump's jealousy run amock

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives are all high fiving each other over this by the way. Its fucking gross as shit.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, we'll see. But I'm not seeing the ability of DeSantis appeal to move beyond the hard right, and that's what got Trump elected.

He checks every box for "traditional" conservatives as well. Elite education, stable family life, military service. He is very electable and very dangerous.