• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Should have been unanimous but HOF voters are idiots. Congrats to Jeter, one of my favorite players to watch as a kid and we'll deserved.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I know baseball HOF voters well enough, the guy voted specifically so Jeter wouldn't get unanimous and not for actual baseball reasons.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't care that Jeter didn't get 100% because there were a bunch of guys that didn't get 100% that should have. How the FUCK didn't Nolan Ryan get 100%?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Jeter is a deserving HOFer but he's generally been overrated because of NY Yankees bias and it's absolutely absurd that Barry Bonds, arguably the greatest of all-time, is not a HOFer yet. I don't give a crap about steroids, many people were using them and the MLB certainly knew they were being used but delighted in it as long as they could because of the ratings boost they were getting with all of the home runs.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I don't care that Jeter didn't get 100% because there were a bunch of guys that didn't get 100% that should have. How the FUCK didn't Nolan Ryan get 100%?
Yeah this is where I'm at. I think Jeter's career deserved a unanimous vote but at the same time having Jeter and Rivera as the only guys ever at 100% would look pretty silly. 23 voters didn't vote for Willie Mays ffs, lol.

Jeter will be alright. He's in fine company.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Jeter's great but c'mon he doesn't deserve 100%

It has nothing to do with some arbitrary standard of being worthy of a unanimous vote. For each HOF voter it is a binary choice, is Jeter a HOF? If yes then vote so. Don't worry about what others are doing or apply some arbitrary baseball writers unspoken rules. Same idea should have applied to Junior and all the other greats.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with deserving or not. For each voter it is a binary choice, is Jeter a HOF? If yes then vote so. Don't worry about what others are doing or apply some arbitrary baseball writers unspoken rules. Same idea should have applied to Junior.
This.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
For those wondering (since he's being pinpointed as the dissenter on social media), it's not Dan Shaughnessy, the Boston Globe's Red Sox writer and one of the most devout Red Sox homers (and Yankees haters) on the planet. Like, this is a guy so biased towards the Sox that even Boston FANS think he's crazy.

Anyway, he only voted for one player - Derek Jeter.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
it's absolutely absurd that Barry Bonds, arguably the greatest of all-time, is not a HOFer yet. I don't give a crap about steroids, many people were using them and the MLB certainly knew they were being used but delighted in it as long as they could because of the ratings boost they were getting with all of the home runs.
I'm really looking forward to the voters twisting themselves in knots a couple years from now to justify their inevitable induction of David Ortiz while still keeping Bonds out.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to see Larry Walker get in. Jeter is a no brainer. It's just comical that the HoF will never include the all time hits or home run kings.

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever didn't vote for Jeter needs to removed from the pool of voters. I'm definitely no Yankees or Jeter fan, but not voting for him reveals a deep misunderstanding of baseball and/or bias that should not be tolerated.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Whoever didn't vote for Jeter needs to removed from the pool of voters. I'm definitely no Yankees or Jeter fan, but not voting for him reveals a deep misunderstanding of baseball and/or bias that should not be tolerated.

Quote below said it pretty well.

If I know baseball HOF voters well enough, the guy voted specifically so Jeter wouldn't get unanimous and not for actual baseball reasons.

Dec 24, 2017
Larry Walker was my favorite Rockies player for a long time. Happy he made it in. Glad it was probably ushered in by younger baseball writers. Didn't think he'd get in based on how older voting members trended.

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
If a player gets above 97% of the votes, the nays should have their voting rights suspended for a year because they obviously don't know baseball. Jeter should have been the seventh or eighth unanimous election and not potentially the second.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I once saw the opposite of the hall of fame for Jeter. I met him at San Diego Comic-Con, he was just walking the exhibit hall, checking it out. No one there knew who he was, it was pretty funny. But to be fair, it took me a minute to place him, as it was unexpected.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Someone may have had more than 10 he or she wanted in and left Jeter off knowing that he's get in anyhow.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Bonds and Clemens only have two more years on the ballot before they move to the Era Committee voting. Neither of them really moved enough this year to suggest that they're going to get through by traditional voting.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
To the dissenter:

tumblr_ntd9clFAhw1qaedvuo1_250.gif

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Getting hung up on the unanimity thing seems silly. The people who only voted for Jeter or wanted him to "go in alone" are way more worthy of scorn than a writer who decided to leave off a player who was at no risk of not making it. Tbh I'm surprised he only missed it by one.