• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
NOTE: This story is from last week, but it is starting to trend now due to recent events.

people.com

Denzel Washington Helps Homeless Man Evade Oncoming Traffic in Heroic Gesture

Denzel Washington got out of his car to help a homeless man to safety, and stayed with him after the police arrived

Denzel Washington to the rescue.

As the Academy Award-winning actor, 65, was driving in West Hollywood on Thursday afternoon, he saw a homeless man in the street, according to TMZ, which also obtained footage of the incident.

Washington, who was wearing a protective face mask, got out of his car and helped the man, who was not wearing a mask, to safety and stayed with him after the police arrived, per TMZ's reporting. At one point in the footage, the actor was also seen giving the man something to eat and drink.

Although police initially detained the man for unknown reasons, he was quickly released, TMZ reports.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, I saw that earlier, Denzel was trending and got scared for a second but turned out to be really good news.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
While this is an awesome story (and Denzel rocks), kinda insane random Hollywood actors are better at de-escalating situations than supposedly trained professionals.

We are gonna have to start creating third party negotiation teams for police interactions

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
What a boss! In other news, I'm triggered by the fact that Denzel and the cop are wearing their masks under their noses.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
giphy.gif

Me before and after I read through the thread title.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
While this is an awesome story (and Denzel rocks), kinda insane random Hollywood actors are better at de-escalating situations than supposedly trained professionals.

We are gonna have to start creating third party negotiation teams for police interactions
I thought american cops are largely untrained amateurs? Do they also have to train 2-3 years like here in germany?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"On the fucking ground now or you're dead nig...Holyshit it's Denzel Washington, I love your work man!"

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I thought american cops are largely untrained amateurs? Do they also have to train 2-3 years like here in germany?

Nah, they are technically trained, just under-trained in comparison to other parts of the world. For the infamous NYPD, 6 months in the Academy and you're out there with a badge and a gun. I assume in small towns they probably skip that, but on avg its around 6 months

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I cant even imagine the response country wide that would happen if Denzel Fucking Washington was killed by a trigger happy cop just because he was trying to help de-escalate a situation.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
They're trained to be afraid of literally everything and shoot well. Some of the training videos they have are just montages of police getting killed so they know to be ready.

Oct 27, 2017
Denzel is the fucking GOAT. Who knows what would've happened if he hadn't been there. Just fucking sad to think about.

Got damn, this nigga needs to hook up and do a Scorsese film already. I've been waiting on this shit my whole life.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, they are technically trained, just under-trained in comparison to other parts of the world. For the infamous NYPD, 6 months in the Academy and you're out there with a badge and a gun. I assume in small towns they probably skip that, but on avg its around 6 months
Undertrained seems to be understating it a bit considering german cops have to study police law and political education for 6 months while US training is 6 months in total.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I've had more training at minimum wage jobs.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Mad respect not just to do this but to keep the mask on knowing trigger happy cops may not have recognised him and escalated.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Tho then again the guy would be more calm to Denzel then police. I know I would.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
They're trained to be afraid of literally everything and shoot well. Some of the training videos they have are just montages of police getting killed so they know to be ready.
Don't forget, your job application can be denied if they think you're too smart
Police academy is generally 6 months long. And then on the job training depending on the place.

But yeah they certainly act like amateurs.
American police cadets are turned away if they're too smart.
What the actual fuck...

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
What the actual fuck...

While it is still 'the fuck', there is some reasoning to why high IQ officers are turned down.

A lot of police work is drudgery, and the fear is that if your IQ is too high, you are effectively overqualified for the position and less willing to stick to the drudgery and the repetition involved.

This is obviously not true everywhere.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Denzel is 65?

On subject, good on Denzel for doing that. Had that not been a megastar black man, they probably would've shot both of them.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
The ruling kinda makes sense if you somehow think police officer is just a normal job the same as any other.
Of course Best Buy should be able to turn down a PHD because they're worried about turn over.
While it is still 'the fuck', there is some reasoning to why high IQ officers are turned down.

A lot of police work is drudgery, and the fear is that if your IQ is too high, you are effectively overqualified for the position and less willing to stick to the drudgery and the repetition involved.

This is obviously not true everywhere.
Hmm I guess I get it, but I ain't gonna lie, it still leaves me feeling a bit uneasy

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I cant even imagine the response country wide that would happen if Denzel Fucking Washington was killed by a trigger happy cop just because he was trying to help de-escalate a situation.
for real, and there were people filming and taking pictures, the country would've exploded