• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Like Resident Evil 7 before it, a little less than a year after launch (or a year after the Gold Edition of RE7 in that game's case) Capcom has removed Denuvo from the PC version of RE2. The article mentions it seems to be removed from the Steam Page description, but there's further confirmation from users it's removed from the product now.

Capcom seems to have a tendency to use it for less of a year for piracy reasons then remove it once it's served it's course. I thought it might be worth making an Era thread to see what people think of Capcom's handling of it, and as it's new news. Especially as the inclusion of it did generate some discussion back before release.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
shame they won't remove it from Monster Hunter World
It sells the big dollas for Capcom. Therefore it will be there forever :)
Considering how optimized Remake 2 is, that title would benefit from it a huge amount more
I think the unfortunate truth is because Monster Hunter's PC version is from the Monster Hunter Team (Division 3 at Capcom), and is their first PC title. Capcom Division 1 has a much better PC branch (why all the RE games get pretty good PC ports) and frankly they just seem to care more about their PC titles at this time.

I know both are Capcom, but Capcom has different divisions that kinda' manage themselves. Division 1 of Capcom does Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, etc., and they seem to be the branch of Capcom who have the best team and ports for their PC versions.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really don't like that the narrative around Denuvo is always about performance and not about what will happen to our games when their servers go offline. I would very much like to continue playing the games I purchased indefinitely. Good on Capcom for removing it from my GOTY.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It sells the big dollas for Capcom. Therefore it will be there forever :)

You have no idea how much i hate Denuvo, MHW was one of the few games I was willing to bend that rule for.
I think the unfortunate truth is because Monster Hunter's PC version is from the Monster Hunter Team (Division 3 at Capcom), and is their first PC title. Capcom Division 1 has a much better PC branch (why all the RE games get pretty good PC ports) and frankly they just seem to care more about their PC titles at this time.

I know both are Capcom, but Capcom has different divisions that kinda' manage themselves. Division 1 of Capcom does Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, etc., and they seem to be the branch of Capcom who have the best team and ports for their PC versions.

That makes a lot of sense actually. MHW as a PC port has had some baffling design decisions.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I am against denuvo but i do applaud them for always consistently removing and not leaving it to suffer

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
not too suprised, Have Denuvo for roughly a year and then remove it seems like the thing most people do now.

I expect RE3 to do the same thing

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the info. Tbh I thought it was outsourced (with all the issues it had/has) Also I was messing around with it making them a lot of money therefore they will never remove it comment :D

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like that the narrative around Denuvo is always about performance and not about what will happen to our games when their servers go offline. I would very much like to continue playing the games I purchased indefinitely. Good on Capcom for removing it from my GOTY.
Then if those are your feelings, then shouldn't you be happy Capcom removes Denuvo after around a year when they stop releasing content for their Resident Evil games? IE, they're using it to protect against piracy around release year, and then remove it when it's no longer needed?

EDIT: I re-read your message and I think I misunderstood your intent, sorry about that.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Denuvo at all when it is used like this appropriately. However, too many publishers never bother to remove it so a game could become unplayable years from now when the servers shut down without using a crack.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
They most likely removed it because they're done with the game and there won't be any future DLC or content.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
its not the norm, 26 titles out of 150~ titles have had Denuvo removed.
huh those 26 are probably the majority of ones that have Denuvo and have interested me, I honestly dont hear too much about it anyways unless people here make threads. I remember when RE2 launched people saw you could play RE2 without Denuvo so thats what i did for that small bump in preformance but that was honestly the last time i heard about it

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Then if those are your feelings, then shouldn't you be happy Capcom removes Denuvo after around a year when they stop releasing content for their Resident Evil games? IE, they're using it to protect against piracy around release year, and then remove it when it's no longer needed?

EDIT: I re-read your message and I think I misunderstood your intent, sorry about that.

I know you edited your message, no worries. I am fine with developers using Denuvo to protect their games from piracy in the release window and removing it later (though with cracking happening so fast nowadays I'm not entirely convinced it works). Capcom's strategy is not the norm sadly. I dread to see what happens to Square Enix's entire PC catalog if Denuvo goes out of business.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
really cool of Capcom. i wish this was more the norm, protect your opening months then remove that shit

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
huh those 26 are probably the majority of ones that have Denuvo and have interested me, I honestly dont hear too much about it anyways unless people here make threads. I remember when RE2 launched people saw you could play RE2 without Denuvo so thats what i did for that small bump in preformance but that was honestly the last time i heard about it

honestly its not the performance that concerns me, its the reliance on external authentication servers. when (and not if) those servers go down, you'll have to use a third party crack to play the games.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
honestly its not the performance that concerns me, its the reliance on external authentication servers. when (and not if) those servers go down, you'll have to use a third party crack to play the games.
I can see the concern, personally though I know i wont be going back to say Monster Hunter World in 10 years (if we were to assume that those servers would be down in 2030)

so its not that big a deal to me but like i said i can understand the concern.