• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 24, 2019
Ooh. Nice to find this had been bumped.
A few days ago I made a Japanese PSN account and braved some dodgy PSN cart site, and now I've got DDG on my digital PS5 :)

I'd played the patched N64 version with it's English tutorial, and am currently following this excellent translation guide, so not being able to read Japanese isn't really holding me back.

The career really eases you in. It's more welcoming than the past games that would fail you out after overshooting a couple of platforms.

One disappointing thing is that I'd gotten used to throttle and brake controls being split in the old games (acceleration with up and down and brake levels with two face buttons) but this only has an all-in-one L-stick lever with speed in one direction and braking in the other. Maybe the trains it features only have one lever instead of two these days, but I was a little bummed out.

Is there any news of DLC or a dedicated controller?

Is this particular release of Hashirou Yamanote Sen an arcade conversion? Or a brand new original release?

I never played the arcade game, but the arcade mode seems to be based on it. I think the career mode plays a bit differently with it's objectives. You get levels of missions to graduate through with prizes of lines/trains that unlock for arcade and free run.

edit: Also bummed that you can't move your view around the cabin, even in the mode where the game drives itself for you. You could do that in most of the PS2 games. There are no external views either.
I suppose that's incentive to do the VR mode.

edit edit: Kinda want to get a model of the E235 now. This game is dangerous 😂
en.wikipedia.org

E235 series - Wikipedia

edit 3: Apparently someone on the DDG Discord found a translated cab at a Dave & Busters.
oUeMLKo.jpg

E0WAnfB.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ooh. Nice to find this had been bumped.
A few days ago I made a Japanese PSN account and braved some dodgy PSN cart site, and now I've got DDG on my digital PS5 :)

I'd played the patched N64 version with it's English tutorial, and am currently following this excellent translation guide, so not being able to read Japanese isn't really holding me back.

The career really eases you in. It's more welcoming than the past games that would fail you out after overshooting a couple of platforms.

One disappointing thing is that I'd gotten used to throttle and brake controls being split in the old games (acceleration with up and down and brake levels with two face buttons) but this only has an all-in-one L-stick lever with speed in one direction and braking in the other. Maybe the trains it features only have one lever instead of two these days, but I was a little bummed out.

Is there any news of DLC or a dedicated controller?

I never played the arcade game, but the arcade mode seems to be based on it. I think the career mode plays a bit differently with it's objectives. You get levels of missions to graduate through with prizes of lines/trains that unlock for arcade and free run.

edit: Also bummed that you can't move your view around the cabin, even in the mode where the game drives itself for you. You could do that in most of the PS2 games. There are no external views either.
I suppose that's incentive to do the VR mode.

edit edit: Kinda want to get a model of the E235 now. This game is dangerous 😂
en.wikipedia.org

E235 series - Wikipedia

edit 3: Apparently someone on the DDG Discord found a translated cab at a Dave & Busters.
oUeMLKo.jpg

E0WAnfB.jpg

This is potentially huge.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Here's a video of the whole Yamanote loop. I dunno how they removed the HUD.

I'm still making my way through the campaign 25 hours in. I gotta unlock the Narita Express!

Thanks so much for this video! I travelled on the Yamanote daily for many years and this seems accurate enough to really enjoy.

As a reference point, around the 58:57 mark, you pass the building where this daily webcam is situated; I watch this stream every morning so know the area well.

May 24, 2019
I should note since that post, I've found that there are older trains you unlock with more complicated dual stick controls. You also get different UI/dashboards for each one and the oldest looks straight Ghibli.
cAFrTZT.jpg

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Man if this comes out in English I would buy it instantly. Haha what if the Switch version had Labo VR support

I at least want a Densha De Go controller that I can dock the switch into

May 24, 2019
Is there a special controller available for the PS4 version?

Nope.

I got this from the Discord. Don't know know where they're from originally, but I get the feeling that these releases are all we're gonna get. No updates, no DLC, no controller.
BFw3xOR.png

If so, it's a shame because the arcade already has additional routes/trains.

The PS4 game's still on V1.00

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd ask here, but does anyone know of a good place to import the PS4 version that isn't Play-Asia? Seems like a lot of places are sold out (is this game even getting a second pressing?) and shipping to Canada is looking pretty dodgy from anyone that's not Amazon.co.jp (which is sold out and apparently wouldn't ship this particular game outside Japan when it was up for pre-order). Most of the stores I've found either don't have specifics on their shipping methods (Solaris Japan, for example, just says "Regular" and "Express" and says both options are unavailable at the moment) or show the game as sold out or on backorder.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on a Densha the go trip currently and bought the plug and play and ps4 version.
Really missing the controller option on the PS4 though but I found this on youtube:

Since it seems to work with both train systems (1 lever and 2 lever) this is pretty tempting.

Also seems to be possible to get a PS1 controller working - but I did not find any in good condition yet:

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
So the OHC-PC01A and the titan two arrived today and yeah - THIS is what I was missing. It plays so amazing.
You still have to switch profiles for some trains though.

There is also an option now to mod your Densha Plug and Play so it is a controller and use the titan two to play on the ps4, but I have not tested this yet.

Also if you are on ps5: you will need a hori mini controller for auth to fight the timeout.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the N64 version (with a translation patch) recently and having fun!

ZeusII

Nov 16, 2017
Barcelona
Have we seen Switch footage yet? Trying to decide if I wait longer for that, or just dive in on PS5.

They did show a few seconds on the last direct:

youtu.be

Nintendo Direct 2021.2.18

00:00 オープニング00:23 大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ SPECIAL06:03 戦国無双507:22 ワールズエンドクラブ08:33 ミートピア10:04 Outer Wilds11:12 ブレイブリーデフォルトII11:50 サガ フロンティア リマスター12:30 聖剣伝説 Legend of Ma...

If you have doubts, I'd wait a few more days until reviews appear. But in any case, don't expect the same quality and fluidity a PS4/5.

May 24, 2019
Finally tried it in VR and it's a trip. I could see the objects/people to honk at far easier than in normal arcade mode. It made me want someone to hack the game to I could leave the train and roam around.

Speaking of hacking, people at the Discord are currently making a translation of DDG Final/Plug n Play. It seems to be close to completion.

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.
nACOUKt.png

JypCsvO.png

JocM6rI.png

May 24, 2019
About 15mins of gameplay from the Switch version just happened on a stream. It's a compressed 720p30 video, so a bit hard to judge.

No PS4 updates :/

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to buy this for VR support alone. I can imagine it being a strangely fun game to experience in VR!

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
In theory I have a copy coming to me from CDJapan, we'll see when it gets here (it's in with another pre-order so it won't be until early April at best, and probably later than that because of shipping).

The Densha de Go discord seems to think it's pretty good, though. Apparently a pretty solid 30fps, some blurriness in handheld mode, but that's about it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the Switch impressions. I have the game on PS4 and it's a lot of fun. I really hope that both home console versions are successful enough for the series continue and prosper again. I would love to see a game similar to Densha de Go Ryojouhen again.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I recently saw a video on the plug and play version of the game and thought it looked cool!

id def buy a switch version (don't have a ps4). I might get on the N64 version I saw another poster talking about. Any chance of an English version? Looking pretty slim I'm sure but that A-train game just got released so maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
Caved in, a few days before the biggest time sink of the year (MHR). Oh well.

Any chance you'll be able to share some performance impressions on the Switch port over the next few days? Knowing it's a UE4 title makes me wonder how smooth it is at 30fps, along with how much the resolution has suffered, or if it has retained 720p for handheld.

Considering the PS4 version has a VR mode, then I'm hoping it has scaled well to the Switch hardware and ends up being a good port.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Any chance you'll be able to share some performance impressions on the Switch port over the next few days? Knowing it's a UE4 title makes me wonder how smooth it is at 30fps, along with how much the resolution has suffered, or if it has retained 720p for handheld.

Considering the PS4 version has a VR mode, then I'm hoping it has scaled well to the Switch hardware and ends up being a good port.

It's honestly not the best looking port. Pretty muddy in handheld with textures that simply are missing, and the resolution is probably barely 500p.
Better in TV mode but still pretty rough looking. The framerate is ... Mostly good ? I think there's some minor drops when you come against more than one train.

Io3Poqq.jpg

I don't know what the fuck is happening on the left side here...

9Ia0uk8.jpg

SRH6QxZ.jpg

Still fun to be able to play it in the subway though.

ColR100

Jan 13, 2018
It's honestly not the best looking port. Pretty muddy in handheld with textures that simply are missing, and the resolution is probably barely 500p.
Better in TV mode but still pretty rough looking. The framerate is ... Mostly good ? I think there's some minor drops when you come against more than one train.

Thanks for sharing some thoughts on performance and general quality of the port. I did look over some comments within the Densha de Go Discord, and there were similar impressions there.

Seems like it runs fine in docked, but running in portable is where the compromises appear. Seems like they have quite an aggressive dynamic resolution below 720p in handheld to maintain the 30fps, which is a shame, as some of the distant details really do start to break up with a lower pixel count, and that's the area which is important during gameplay.

I think I'll wait until it drops into a sale in a few months.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Picked up the switch version to have it on the go, and I'm pleased enough. Not the highest quality, but the game play is there.

joined the discord to figure out some of the finer points, but it's solid.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Currently aproaching 20 hours on this title, it's super fun.
I just need a proper controller so i don't fumble around when i want to be more precise with the speed changes.

It's such a pleasant title to play.

Also Taito retweeted...

Oh... 😳😳

Really hope this comes out soon.
Does anybody have any ideia where this company sells their stuff?

They posted a blurred video of the controller lever action.

I wonder how the twin lever trains are going to work on this unit.