• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
W03cRjx.jpg

Posted October 23, 2020 by Andrew Borman - Digital Games Curator at the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester, NY

"Denise Chaudhari was the first woman hired for the then-secret Xbox project, where she designed more than just the original "Duke" controller that launched with the system in 2001."

The link below leads to the new post and video on the "Play Stuff Blog" for the Strong Museum, detailing some of Chaudhari's work in industrial design for things like the Original Xbox "Duke" controller, Live Communicator Headset/adapter, and beyond. This includes video of some prototype iterations which were functional in testing, but never actually released. Included among the sketches are designs showing non-offset analog stick placements. It sounds like the Strong Museum is working behind-the-scenes with some of these materials to assemble a future exhibit.

www.museumofplay.org

Designing the Duke - The Strong National Museum of Play

Denise Chaudhari was the first woman hired for the then-secret Xbox project, where she designed more than just the original “Duke” controller that launched with the system in 2001.

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
From the duke to Microsoft going out of their way to make the XBOX Series controller smaller as it meant being more ergonomic for smaller hands.

Since, you know, women exist.

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The video mentions the 2018 re-release of the Duke controller for XB1 (via Hyperkin), including the OLED screen that plays the system startup video. As someone who bought one of those out of sheer fascination, I'm still really happy with it. It's a wild ride playing BC original XB games with it, but it's still a great controller for racers/sims, to this day.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Such a fantastic video. My favorite home console controller from the modern era. I'm using mine to play Death Stranding right now, actually.

OP
OP
Gestault

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Such a fantastic article. My favorite home console controller from the modern era. I'm using mine to play Death Stranding right now, actually.

The angle for the controller and the size/resistance for the analog sticks still makes it pretty ideal for sim-style games. I've been playing a bunch of Mud Runners/Snow Runners with it, too.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The angle for the controller and the size/resistance for the analog sticks still makes it pretty ideal for sim-style games. I've been playing a bunch of Mud Runners/Snow Runners with it, too.
I'm all about those 6 face buttons. I really want a new controller with ABC/XYZ buttons.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That was a really cool video! I had heard the story about the circuit board bein made first. But seeing the actual circuit board just being so big, I can't even imagine what she was thinking when she first saw it. Like.. you want me to do what now?