• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the point of serialization- no expectations comfort food guaranteed to make cash back from the kids. Franchise movie making has been around since they made movies lmao.

At least he's being kind and not calling them dull, infantile, forgettable trash.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Marvel movies as much as anyone but he isn't wrong.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Was there this much resistance and need to belittle from directors to other phenomenon like Star Wars or Harry Potter back in the day?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The MCU invented storytelling formulas, you heard it here first.

Next you'll tell me that all of my favorite movies include "tropes."

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine doing an interview with Scorsese or Villeneuve and asking them about fucking Marvel movies.

"Mr Kubrick, thanks so much for coming back to life and sitting down with me. I thought I'd start off by asking for your thoughts on the upcoming Boss Baby sequel..."
Lol no one tells then to answer. Take a cue from NFL coaches, don't take the bait.

Also Marvel has a lot of issues but again they seem to be one of the few studios pushing for diversity. So they get all the slack.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Could copy and pasted actors Simu Liu or Chadwick Boseman be the main character in a Denis Villeneuve movie?
His track record says no.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's like asking a Michelin Star Chef Motherfucker about the fast-food industry that people flock to. Both can exist but the one who makes the shit at the top always looks down. So no news it is.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not disagreeing with him on this and I'm a fan of the marvel movies in general. I struggled to get through Black Widow and eventually will watch Shang-Chi on Disney+ but they are formulaic as could be. Spider-Man at least has my interest but no desire at all to watch Eternals.

Nov 9, 2017
Duh, Marvel movies are mainstream and far from the pinnacle of movie making.

Still think Villenueve is overrated and a greedy a-hole for trying to convince people to see his movie in theater during a raging pandemic. I will be happily streaming it from HBO Max if I find the time.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Was there this much resistance and need to belittle from directors to other phenomenon like Star Wars or Harry Potter back in the day?

I think the MCU is interesting for having a hegemony those franchises never did -- there was a solid decade or so of two or three of the biggest movies of each year coming not just from the same studio, but from the same franchise. It'd be more surprising if filmmakers didn't have an opinion on the phenomenon, and of course some of them are going to bristle at the factory-line nature of it all.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
As a casual marvel viewer, he is right and I thought the exact same thing after watching many marvel movies.

Oct 27, 2017
lotta creators work very hard to make those films for some dude to look down his nose and call them nothing more than cut and paste or whatever. it's actually even more annoying because he's indirectly talking shit about comics as well because lots of these stories tend to draw inspiration from the source material.

another thing, most *movies* tend to follow similar beats and have similar structure. singling out marvel flicks seems pretty petty imo.

He's not wrong, though I think the formulaic aspects that crop up in Marvel films are more of a symptom of a wider trend of formulaic filmmaking. The MCU series is an easier subject to make this point with because it represents a large family of films that invite direct comparison to one another.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
At the very least extremely challenging. But being able to divide it to more than one film makes it more manageable. The tv adaptations from a few decades ago did a decent job with the actual themes and story, but it was generally pretty cheap looking, with very uneven acting. I have faith in Villeneuve.
Visually, I have 100% faith. From the trailers and featurettes, the movie looks stunning and very appropriate for the feeling of Dune and the precedent set by decades of art. Cast is also stellar, I'm sure they're gonna be great.

The book, though, mostly takes place inside people's heads. It's about the "which chalice is the poisoned one" mind games everyone is playing with everyone else. It's about the reading every detail of someone's appearance and speech and subtle movements in order to discern their intentions and predict their actions. Lynch tried to show that with tons and tons of voice-over, and it doesn't really work. I'm interested to see how Villeneuve handles it, but to do it faithfully is - I think - an impossible task.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Boo

I like this guy's stuff for non-pretentious reasons, so he doesn't need to go dredge up pretentious points to get me to see Dune.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
How come every time a director has a (correct!) take on Marvel movies, there's always this pushback? Marvel fans won! Just enjoy your movies! They're number-one, they're gonna make them forever, they dominate the culture. I don't know where this defensiveness stems from.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Again, I reiterate: he's silent on WB's superhero movies because it would harm his career, if he wants to be so noble then slam them all, including Sony, not just Marvel. And how is removing the MCU from the cinematic landscape improving cinema? If anything, it's less profit for cinemas which he relentlessly begs people to visit, to save them from dying out. Comic book readers are finally getting what they've always wanted, but Denis just wants to impale them with his "no fun" sign.

When has he ever been asked about WB's superhero movies? When did he ever say Marvel movies shouldn't exist?

Are people being sarcastic calling his super mild opinion gatekeeping? i can't tell.

He's also super jealous!

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel movies are just being watched to be caught up with the story. The actual movie watching experience is so boring, a lot of these wouldn't hold up if they weren't contributing to a larger narrative.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we should just stop asking directors their thoughts on specific movies/franchises? Let's be honest here, we know why it's being asked and what it's going to turn into. The director doesn't give a shit what his comments cause, the journalist only cares about the clicks and social media impressions, and we're left with people going up to bat for their favorite kind of cinema enjoyment which ultimately doesn't need you to defend them for the 100th time this year. It's an endless cycle of fanboyism that I'm surprised none of you are tired of by now.

Aug 13, 2019
Aw, damn. What a hot take. Marvel is so burned. I've never heard this one before.
russell-westbrook-yawn.gif

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice didn't know that website was a thing, that you could get through a paywall that way.

This is my translation of the relevant bit:

Do you think it's contradictory that a blockbuster movie wants to take a stand against capitalism? (speaking of Dune)

You just have to think about Hollywood's Golden Age, where you had many commercial/mass-market films that would also contribute artistically, and therefore, politically. I've never thought that having a large budget was an impediment to what I wanted to do. On the contrary. Who's to say that a movie with a big budget can't be artistically relevant at the same time? I think about people like Christopher Nolan or Alfonso Cuarón.

And I think about Martin Scorsese' thoughts about superhero movies, which according to him have no cinematic value whatsoever...

Maybe the problem is that too many Marvel are nothing but a "cut and paste" job of others. Maybe this kind of movies have turned us a bit into zombies... But there are many big and expensive movies that have a lot of value. I don't feel pessimistic at all.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but I just want to make a slight change,

"Quizá el problema es que estamos delante de demasiadas películas Marvel que no son más que un "corta y pega" de otras. Tal vez este tipo de películas nos han convertido un poco en zombis... Pero película grandes y caras de mucho valor hay muchísimas actualmente. No me siento capaz de ser pesimista en absoluto."

Translates to.

And I think about Martin Scorsese' thoughts about superhero movies, which according to him have no cinematic value whatsoever...

Maybe the problem is that we are in front of too many Marvel movies that are nothing more than a "cut ant paste" of one another. Maybe this type of movie has made us a bit into zombies... But movies that are big and expensive that carry a lot of value, there are actually plenty of. I don't feel capable of being pessimistic in the absolute.

He is saying that a lot of Marvel movies feel like cut-and-paste jobs, but that there can be big expensive movies that carry value to him.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Oh boy, the opening weekend numbers thread for DUNE is going to be quite memorable, regardless of if it's a massive hit, or a total flop.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Boo

I like this guy's stuff for non-pretentious reasons, so he doesn't need to go dredge up pretentious points to get me to see Dune.

What is pretentious about what he said?

Maybe we should just stop asking directors their thoughts on specific movies/franchises? Let's be honest here, we know why it's being asked and what it's going to turn into. The director doesn't give a shit what his comments cause, the journalist only cares about the clicks and social media impressions, and we're left with people going up to bat for their favorite kind of cinema enjoyment which ultimately doesn't need you to defend them for the 100th time this year. It's an endless cycle of fanboyism that I'm surprised none of you are tired of by now.

It is funny to watch play out.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Marvel doesn't let their directors handle action sequences and instead storyboards and films the action in each movie with its own team. That tells you all you need to know.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy Marvel movies as much as anyone but he isn't wrong.

I would take his point more seriously if his industry wasn't shoveling remakes down my throat time after time.

He might not be wrong but to make his complaint and not deal with other problems that are worse including diversity speaks volumes.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
He's right, but you can't argue with the results. People still love them.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Marvel movies usually follow the same structure, but so do most Hollywood movies, this is nothing new. I think saying they're nothing but cut and paste is disrespectful of the hard work so many people put into those movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.