• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Are you assuming they're competent? Did you not see the clusterfuck of the ww84 announcement?
Some idiot HBO max exec is trying to save his bonus by sacrificing movies on the altar of a failing streaming service
Im responding to the *assumption* that this is going to make them lose money. Maybe they will and maybe they wont, but it doesnt make any sense at all that they would, in desperation, do something that one could assume would hurt their bottom line.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Tell that to the thousands of workers out of jobs because those big money productions are gone. Not to mention revenue from Blockbusters help fund riskier projects. And, there's a ton of value in a Blockbuster, those vanishing would actually suck.

Also good lord fuck this anti-consumer nonsense. The most pro consumer thing would be everything for free but people understand that can't happen.

Sustainability is absolutely a valid concern.
This happens in industries all the time. It's sad. I hope it doesn't happen. But it's not someone who wants to streams job to figure out the market dynamics and it's not their responsibility if a model doesn't work to employ people.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im responding to the *assumption* that this is going to make them lose money. Maybe they will and maybe they wont, but it doesnt make any sense at all that they would, in desperation, do something that one could assume would hurt their bottom line.
They're trying to launch hbo max after seeing how well D+ is doing

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Because releasing on streaming services does not bring in nearly the same amount of revenue as theatre releases where people have to pay, per person, per movie, what is the equivalent of the cost of a monthly streaming service subscription, while also allowing for piracy to occur.

To put it into perspective, Netflix, arguably the most popular streaming service, has spend which far outweighs the income it is generating. Netflix bypasses this to post net profits due to GAAP rules surrounding how movies and TV content gets reported.

Netflix's cash spend in 2019 exceeded income by over 3 billion, and that figure has grown year on year.

This ignores how its literally part of the plan and working. "Viewed from the lens of net income, Netflix has been performing well, with its net profits growing 3x from around $0.6 billion in 2017 to $1.9 billionin 2019."

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
but its coming out in cinemas. Outside of the US its only coming out in cinemas so this is a US-focused rant in the first place. And clearly due to COVID as otherwise WB would be using their normal release window approach to maximise revenue. This is a defensive move but presumably a necessary one.

As for 'its made to be seen on a theater screen'. Great. So those that want to, will. But regardless of Covid or not, movies have had multiple release phases for years now - on demand, rental, purchase, subscription TV, network TV, airlines etc. A good movie lives on for years after that limited theatrical run.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Tell that to the thousands of workers out of jobs because those big money productions are gone. Not to mention revenue from Blockbusters help fund riskier projects. And, there's a ton of value in a Blockbuster, those vanishing would actually suck.

Also good lord fuck this anti-consumer nonsense. The most pro consumer thing would be everything for free but people understand that can't happen.

WHAT big money productions are gone?

Can ANYONE name ONE movie that is now NOT HAPPENING because of big bad streaming?

This is sky is falling, bad faith bullshit

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
but its coming out in cinemas. Outside of the US its only coming out in cinemas so this is a US-focused rant in the first place. And clearly due to COVID as otherwise WB would be using their normal release window approach to maximise revenue. This is a defensive move but presumably a necessary one.

As for 'its made to be seen on a theater screen'. Great. So those that want to, will. But regardless of Covid or not, movies have had multiple release phases for years now - on demand, rental, purchase, subscription TV, network TV, airlines etc. A good movie lives on for years after that limited theatrical run.
THEY

SHOULD

HAVE

CONSULTED

WITH

THE

PEOPLE

THAT

MAKE

THE

MOVIES

BEFORE

ANNOUNCING

THIS

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
The movies are still coming out in theaters. People will still see them in theaters. This isn't about the "art", this is about his bank account.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

They're out of jobs because the market collapsed due to covid. There should be more jobs as more lower budget productions start up, as we're seeing with Netflix etc. Looking to hearing more about all that value in a blockbuster.

Making it easier for consumers to access a product is pro-consumer. Protecting a billion dollar entertainment industry to keep prices up is anti-consumer. It's not that hard to understand. If something non-vital is no longer sustainable it will have to change.

Because if those creators leave, then who is making the content?
So they'll just leave cinema and stop making movies? Why wouldn't they just find a better partner for themselves?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Its a bit weird to me that ERA seems to have a disdain for the rich in general but then capes for millionaires who want to keep an archaic system in place to extract more money out of the consumer and give them less choices.

(Big rich media company who wants to give the consumer choices for more profit > Rich Hollywood elites who want to limit choices for more profit) in my book.

WB is owned by a Telecommunications company that would eat your mother for an extra dollar

Oct 27, 2017
This ignores how its literally part of the plan and working. "Viewed from the lens of net income, Netflix has been performing well, with its net profits growing 3x from around $0.6 billion in 2017 to $1.9 billionin 2019."
No it doesn't. The net profit Netflix reports is EXACTLY why you cannot view just the net profit. GAAP accounting rules dictate you need to amortise the cost of production over the period where it expects to generate money, and because of the nature of streaming services Netflix can amortise cost over incredibly long time periods turning movies which would be considered 'flops' into profitable ventures..

When you compare net income to cash burn over the same period, Netflix is down billions, and that gap is growing year on year because of their content spend.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
That revenue is at my expense. I can't consume those movies until they are released at home.

I dont like being excluded, and for less options to exist, for no reason than to artificially inflate profits. If people want the theater experience they can go.

Feels like this:
Should theaters charge twice as much? More movies could get made. Dont you want more movies to be made? Why are you against them maximizing all potential revenue streams if it means MORE MOVIES???

I'm being accused of wanting less movies made, not true. I'm being accused of only wanting this future so I can steal movies. Not true. I want the change so that I and others like me can experience the movie at release.
You're being told about the economic impact that such a shift could have, and your only retort is that is that waiting for the home release is an undue burden for you. I'm sorry, but they're just not comparable.

You lose nothing while waiting, and it sustains the type of films that home theater enthusiasts want to see day 1.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
No it doesn't. The net profit Netflix reports is EXACTLY why you cannot view just the net profit. GAAP account rules dictate you need to amortise the cost of production over the period where it expects to generate money, and because of the nature of streaming services Netflix can amortise cost over incredibly long time periods.

When you compare net income to cash burn over the same period, Netflix is down billions, and that gap is growing year on year because of their content spend.

www.fool.com

The Netflix Free Cash Flow Debate Is Over. Here's Why the Bulls Won | The Motley Fool

The streaming giant's years of cash burn have clearly paid off.

How is Netflix doing on a GAAP basis? In the first quarter, it finished with $958 million in operating income and $709 million in net income. Based on revenue of $5.8 billion, it had an operating margin of 16.6%, much better than the average company in the S&P 500. Indeed, its subscription business model is building operating leverage as it's supposed to. Last year, it finished with a 13% operating margin, and Netflix is targeting 16% for 2020.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
But most people in this thread are more upset with streaming than WB's tact in announcing this

I mean because the discussion morphed to long term sustainability

If WB did right by everyone and said as they did this is for next year only

No conversation here happens

What instead happened is WB screwed over everyone and people starting talking like day 1 on HBO MAX is a permanent forever thing.

The conversation here is about this idea in a permanent scenario.

Oct 27, 2017
You're being told about the economic impact that such a shift could have, and your only retort is that is that waiting for the home release is an undue burden for you. I'm sorry, but they're just not comparable.

You lose nothing while waiting, and it sustains the type of films that home theater enthusiasts want to see day 1.

But we can't see them day one so who cares? You're asking me to support something I can't take advantage of. And I'm not convinced that less movies will be made if there's an equal demand. If movie theaters can't exist without exclusivity, why should they?

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019

Absolutely nobody can look at the state of the cinema industry, pre-COVID, and say it was sustainable. It was incredibly precarious, and had, in the space of just a couple of decades, gone from having a fairly varied slate to its continued existent being predicated almost entirely on a small group of marquee franchises - most of which are owned by the same company - around which it built a sort-of-workable calendar.

The state of the entire film industry, though, does not need to be tied to the fate of the cinema industry. At one time it had to be, because there were no alternative distribution channels. Now there are too many to count. If studios believe they can compensate for the revenue they would have previously made from ticket sales some other way, then they will. And based on the evidence of moves like this one, they're confident they can.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They would leave WB and go somewhere else, which would hurt WB's output significantly.

Warner pissing off their creative partners to do this is an unforced error that could cripple them long term.
Again, why should I care? They'll make movies with someone else. I'll still pay money and see movies.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Absolutely nobody can look at the state of the cinema industry, pre-COVID, and say it was sustainable. It was incredibly precarious, and had, in the space of just a couple of decades, gone from having a fairly varied slate to its continued existent being predicated almost entirely on a small group of marquee franchises - most of which are owned by the same company - around which it built a sort-of-workable calendar.

The state of the entire film industry, though, does not need to be tied to the fate of the cinema industry. At one time it had to be, because there were no alternative distribution channels. Now there are too many to count. If studios believe they can compensate for the revenue they would have previously made from ticket sales some other way, then they will. And based on the evidence of moves like this one, they're confident they can.

Until the writer and directors guild strike over lost income and manipulative corporate tactics of course.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

What evidence are you referring to? The only example I've seen so far has been Mulan, and that experience if anything has seemingly led Disney to still prefer cinemas for their large releases.

Oct 27, 2017
www.fool.com

The Netflix Free Cash Flow Debate Is Over. Here's Why the Bulls Won | The Motley Fool

The streaming giant's years of cash burn have clearly paid off.

How is Netflix doing on a GAAP basis? In the first quarter, it finished with $958 million in operating income and $709 million in net income. Based on revenue of $5.8 billion, it had an operating margin of 16.6%, much better than the average company in the S&P 500. Indeed, its subscription business model is building operating leverage as it's supposed to. Last year, it finished with a 13% operating margin, and Netflix is targeting 16% for 2020.
I'm not sure if you properly understood this article.

On a GAAP basis it has been continuously profitable precisely because of how GAAP reporting works where you can distribute the cost of streaming over many years and turn unprofitable movies into profitable ones from an accounting pespective. Exactly as that article reports, the actual cash flow is -3.3 billion in 2019 (which, again, has grown massively year on year). Its cashflow is incredibly negative.

COVID has absolutely been beneficial for Netflix in being able to help reduce that cashflow. Netflix has, as the article states, reducing cash flow in 2020 by halting productions and gained record streaming amounts. However, in order to have a positive cash flow going forward while still producing content, Netflix needs to either continuously reduce spending or significantly raise the cost of a subscription. This is in total opposition to the claims which are being made that actually Netflix can afford to spend more.

The thing keeping Netflix afloat is the future potential of the service by dominating the streaming industry, and the ability to turn unprofitable ventures into profitable ones by amortising cost over years.

How exactly can Netflix have 2019 be the peak of content spending yet simultaneously funnel more money into the acquisition and production of 400M+ productions?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Until the writer and directors guild strike over lost income and manipulative corporate tactics of course.
Honestly. I'm fine if they do this. I have no love for WB or ATT either. They're all gonna have to hash out what the future looks like. It's clear there are some realities that a lot of parties are going to have to rethink. I think it's in the best interest of the entire industry to go back to the drawing board on this. I support workers rights to do this and I hope it comes out as a more fair and equitable system.

I prefer to stream though.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sure we do. We see it in all countries that have it under control: people flock back to theaters.
Are you sure about this? China and Japan are the only two countries having very good box office returns and in the case of Japan it's due to the fact that they've released the biggest movie there of the last 20 years, soon to be of all-time. If you look at other countries where numbers are low, the figures are maybe 1/2 or 1/5th in the case of New Zealand. Flock is not the term I'd use.

Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure if you properly understood this article.

On a GAAP basis it has been continuously profitable precisely because of how GAAP reporting works where you can distribute the cost of streaming over many years and turn unprofitable movies into profitable ones from an accounting pespective. Exactly as that article reports, the actual cash flow is -3.3 billion in 2019 (which, again, has grown massively year on year). Its cashflow is incredibly negative.

COVID has absolutely been beneficial for Netflix in being able to help reduce that cashflow. Netflix has, as the article states, reducing cash flow in 2020 by halting productions and gained record streaming amounts. However, in order to have a positive cash flow going forward while still producing content, Netflix needs to either continuously reduce spending or significantly raise the cost of a subscription. This is in total opposition to the claims which are being made that actually Netflix can afford to spend more.

The thing keeping Netflix afloat is the future potential of the service by dominating the streaming industry, and the ability to turn unprofitable ventures into profitable ones by amortising cost over years.

How exactly can Netflix have 2019 be the peak of content spending yet simultaneously funnel more money into the acquisition and production of 400M+ productions?

This seems eerily similar to the argument fanboys present as to why Game Pass cannot work over the long term lol.

Edit: Now that I think about it, people arguing against HBO Max showing blockbuster movies Day 1 might as well be arguing that Game Pass is a bad thing since the 60-70 dollar per game business model is the only way Devs can keep food on the table.

Last edited:

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I love seeing movies at the theaters, I would never in a million years wish theaters to die. But I get HBOMAX free from my mobile phone carrier (AT&T of course) and if I get these movies day one, that's fine by me lol

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
What evidence are you referring to? The only example I've seen so far has been Mulan, and that experience if anything has seemingly led Disney to still prefer cinemas for their large releases.
The fact that Warner Brothers are even trying this simultaneous model suggests it's worth a shot in their eyes, was the primary evidence I was pointing to. They wouldn't be doing it if they thought there was zero possibility they'd ever recoup the production costs of the films.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
lol'd
btw movies can be delayed
Why did you lol? Legitimately curious.

Movies *have* been delayed. An entire year's slate has already been delayed effectively. If they push these back another year then that affects timelines and budgets for everything that is meant to be in production in 2021. There aren't enough release windows to accommodate the influx of backlogged releases with new releases as well.

If we're being honest, the concern by these directors is largely driven by their concern about losing points on the back end. That's all there is to it, really. Denis' contract probably said he'd get something like 3% of the box office take after $200m in sales or something specific like that and so he's concerned about his money -- and I get that. But I'm not concerned about his money. I'm concerned about people's health.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like we're gonna see some very embarrassed backpedaling soon. No way can WB survive pissing off all the talent to the point that people currently working on huge projects for them are willing to say stuff like this.

Failing that, idk, maybe ATT just kills WB rather than back down. It's possible.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Honestly, I feel like we're gonna see some very embarrassed backpedaling soon. No way can WB survive pissing off all the talent to the point that people currently working on huge projects for them are willing to say stuff like this.

Failing that, idk, maybe ATT just kills WB rather than back down. It's possible.
Yup.

Or going with this strategy for WW84 is a horrible failure and they push a lot of their big budget movies to 2022 anyway.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

Either that or this strategy with WW84 is a horrible failure and they push a lot of their big budget movies to 2022.
I would count that as backpedaling. Tho I wonder if it'd be enough for some of the talent. Some folks won't be happy without a public apology, and for preference, heads on pikes.

Not that I blame 'em. I like the idea of getting day-and-date movies as much as the next chump, but this was clearly a colossal fuckup.

Oct 27, 2017
This seems eerily similar to the argument fanboys present as to why Game Pass cannot work over the long term lol.
Do you have an actual content on why thisis ? Let's look at the numbers on this:

Netflix's Free Cash Flow (Net Operating Profit After Tax* - Investment Cost) over time is:
2014: -$0.1 Billion
2015: -$0.9 Billion
2016: -$1.7 Billion
2017: -$2 Billion
2018: -$3 Billion
2019: -$3.3 Billion

Its cash flow has reduced continuously because its investment cost in productions has grown continuously. Netflix, repeatedly, has stated that it expects 2019 to be the peak, and this number to reduce. The only way this can happen is if spending gets reduced, it continuously to gain massive acquisition volume, or subscription cost goes up. Netflix's position on this is that 2019 will be the peak as content spend is expected to decrease.

So again, how exactly can Netflix simultaneously produce blockbusters with budget equivalent to Hollywood theatre productions while simultaneously reducing content production costs to make 2019 the peak? Quite literally the only way it can do this is if subscription cost goes up substantially or the subscriber count skyrockets enough to offset the increased cost.

Netflix can continuously report net profits by continuously amortising production cost over the service's lifetime by arguing the content continuously adds value, however it's actually cash flow is not positive.

*EDIT: Net Profit After Tax should have had Operating added

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Are you sure about this? China and Japan are the only two countries having very good box office returns and in the case of Japan it's due to the fact that they've released the biggest movie there of the last 20 years, soon to be of all-time. If you look at other countries where numbers are low, the figures are maybe 1/2 or 1/5th in the case of New Zealand. Flock is not the term I'd use.
There are other exceptions. Over 800 000 people have seen Vinterberg/Mikkelsen comedy Another Round at the cinema in Denmark. That is almost 14% of the population.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020

I definitely could see this going poorly for ATT. It'll be really interesting to see how the numbers do, what the fallout is, etc.

I don't see this move and the way they did it as going well in many ways. But I think the industry is in a weird "growing pains" kind of stage and COVID accelerated it. Growing pains means everyone becomes the worse version of themselves often with Corporate shitting on artist and trying to money grab and many artist trying to refuse that the world is changing and things will go back to normal.

Changes like this are often fights for survivability in a game of musical chairs. There aren't enough seats anymore. So either everyone collectively bargains to figure out a new method, or people scramble for their slice and hope to still be there when the dust settles. Given how capitalism typically works. I expect for the latter, but I do hope for the former (or that the artists come out on top).

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Warner Brothers are even trying this simultaneous model suggests it's worth a shot in their eyes, was the primary evidence I was pointing to. They wouldn't be doing it if they thought there was zero possibility they'd ever recoup the production costs of the films.

Well easy to do it for Dune and Godzilla vs King Kong

Where they paid 25% of the budget but will get 100% of the HBO Max revenue after blocking a 200+ million Netflix bid for Godzilla vs King Kong that would have seen money go to Legendary Pictures who paid the bulk of the budget

Judd Apatow chimes in
OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Apatow chimes in:

variety.com

Judd Apatow Says Warner Bros. Showed ‘Stunning’ Disrespect in HBO Max Bombshell Decision

"To do that to just every single person that you work with is really somewhat stunning.”

Apatow said: "It's somewhat shocking that a studio for their entire slate could call what appears to be nobody. It's the type of disrespect that you hear about in the history of show business. But to do that to just every single person that you work with is really somewhat stunning."

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
But we can't see them day one so who cares? You're asking me to support something I can't take advantage of. And I'm not convinced that less movies will be made if there's an equal demand. If movie theaters can't exist without exclusivity, why should they?

Because they provide a viewing experience truer to the creators' intent, and a significant revenue stream that sustains large releases.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Well easy to do it for Dune and Godzilla vs King Kong

Where they paid 25% of the budget but will get 100% of the HBO Max revenue after blocking a 200+ million Netflix bid for Godzilla vs King Kong that would have seen money go to Legendary Pictures who paid the bulk of the budget
As people have already pointed out, though, the cutthroat nature of Hollywood commercial arrangements isn't the end consumer's concern. A lot of the same back-stabbery also went on when it came to negotiating cinema releases and margins, and the same people who are now going to try to squeeze every penny out of streaming arrangements were the people forcing cinemas to consolidate their calendars around an incredibly small number of films, and squeezing their margins tighter and tighter with every tentpole release.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Apatow chimes in:

variety.com

Judd Apatow Says Warner Bros. Showed ‘Stunning’ Disrespect in HBO Max Bombshell Decision

"To do that to just every single person that you work with is really somewhat stunning.”

Yah, this element of this whole thing is total bullshit. AT&T are definitely assholes here. I hope this shakes up how decisions are made and bargaining works as I've said in earlier posts. It's really unfortunate that they just seemed to pull this move with no discussions.

Oct 27, 2017
Because they provide a viewing experience truer to the creators' intent, and a significant revenue stream that sustains large releases.

Can I see the list that Denis requires a theater meet in order for his movie to be played? Shall I start looking for the shittiest theaters we could expect will still get to show dune?

The creator wants me to be miserable for the entirety of the movie? Maybe the consumer should be the judge of what experience is best for them to consume media. And I'm not asking there not be a theater release. If creators and fans want to watch it in that building huddled together, I dont mind. I much much much prefer home, and haven't been to a movie theater in at least 7 years. Maybe one exception I'm forgetting?

And yeah, at&t are dicks, as are most actors and directors. Im just advocating for a method to enjoy movies the same day other people can in the best way possible. Theaters also lead to piracy. Decreased friction is good for combating piracy.