• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
This thread has made me think about the various performances and I have to say that, in retrospect, I liked Ford's the least of all. (Once he was done attacking Gosling.) His performance just felt... hmm... okay, some performances were from the school of pretentious acting and some were actually good, but they both melded really well and the characters... fit the world. Even Bautista felt more a part of the world than Ford did! Ford just felt like he was playing himself or something. Whatever it was, I wasn't impressed by him.

I don't like Villeneuve doing this, by the way. He should have the balls to come out and say who it is, or not say anything like this. It's really unfair on people to be made to wonder if they were a poor fit. Just say who it is but do it without being a dick.

I fucking bet it ends up being one of the female actors...

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Except this thread IS about the actor, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with speculating who it was.

His response might have greater context, but we're literally here to speculate due to the framing of the thread.

Well, there's nothing wrong i guess, but it's still probably beyond the point and context of his answer. I don't think he should have these kinds of off base discussions in mind when giving his own personal experiences.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This thread has made me think about the various performances and I have to say that, in retrospect, I liked Ford's the least of all. (Once he was done attacking Gosling.) His performance just felt... hmm... okay, some performances were from the school of pretentious acting and some were actually good, but they both melded really well and the characters... fit the world. Even Bautista felt more a part of the world than Ford did! Ford just felt like he was playing himself or something. Whatever it was, I wasn't impressed by him.

I don't like Villeneuve doing this, by the way. He should have the balls to come out and say who it is, or not say anything like this. It's really unfair on people to be made to wonder if they were a poor fit. Just say who it is but do it without being a dick.

I fucking bet it ends up being one of the female actors...

It would be unfair to the person who acted way more to come out and name them. It could impact their career. And it could be specific to his way of working with actors so other directors might not have that problem with said actor.

This is a very diplomatic way of doing things. I'm sure it wasn't a secret on set who he's talking about, so people who should know, know anyway. But since they are all professionals, these things don't leak out easily as no one wants to be implicated in spreading rumors or impacting careers.

pegaso

Oct 28, 2017
Gosling was good, Ford was good for once lately (and he would not be a casting choice), Bautista was good, Ana de Armas was ok in a very inoffensive role, I don't remember much about the rest of the characters... yeah. It's Leto. He sticks out like a sore thumb (and not because he's a bad actor), and honestly sounds like the kind of guy whose director would have a hard time redirecting/rewriting to go in the direction he feels right.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I mean I get people accusing Ford of being disinterested in his later years but the kind of world weary, emotionally destroyed, apathetic performance in the film Totally fits his character. If nothing else, the "her eyes were green" scene alone is more memorable than anything Leto does the entire film. Leto's performance just oozes With the vibe that he thinks he's really tapped into something special here... yea not really

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Well there are a lot to choose from.

the actor that played the cartoonishly evil and over the top villain? (when the original movie is masterful in not really having a straight villain)

was it shoehorning in Harrison Ford, the T-shirt wearing old man that's only there to add legitimacy to the movie, but retroactively fucks it?

Gosling who they thought would be perfect because Ford mumbles in the first movie, so why not get Hollywood's premiere mumbler of today?

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Given he clearly notes "in the end it was okay" then emphasises how much he had to push my takeaway is he got close enough in the end that there's no point looking to film to guess who.

Ultimately his point is the actor really struggled to deliver what he wanted which he found tough to experience.

From other context it could be a Bautista as there clearly was challenges there around delivering what he wanted.

Or maybe he had to push Ford hard; but I doubt this as Ford was given if he wanted Deckard and there's little sign he wasn't happy reprising role or delivering performance.

unless he clarifies it's all guesses though.

EDIT: I'm confident it wasn't Gosling though; he's a good actor and he nailed the characteristics needed for the lead role to work. He's excellent in the film and there's zero indication of issues between them in terms of delivering that performance.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could be Leto, it's the sort of shit he would come up with that just goes too far into another a realm of over the top and not open to discussion.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The shade being thrown at Gosling here is absolutely unacceptable. He is a treasure in this and every movie he is in.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously Leto. Any film with Leto, would be better without Leto.

...apart from Fight Club. His role as Ed Norton's punch bag was perfect casting

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all the minor characters were note perfect. Ford was a little weak, but then his role was pretty weak. Leto did his best, which was fine, but couldn't quite sell the fey quality I think they were going for, so that's who I'd put my money on.

Gosling was good but with the lion's share of screen time there's more room for his deficiencies to show. Robin Wright was pretty sterile in her role, but I can't really imagine it was her, giving she's not really in a role that draws your attention in the first place.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
It has to be Leto, he's a good actor (and a terrible human being), but he completely missed the mark in this movie. It's like he's in an anime.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd place my bet on Leto whenever a director mentions he had a different take on a character. He acts the crap out of his character alright, but sometimes sticks out like a sore thumb.

I mean the dude can act, he was great in Requeim for a dream but is so hit and miss.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think I like Leto better then what I'm imagining a hypothetical Bowie performance to be, just because Bowie probably could have sold it and Leto kind of can't and that makes him a bit pathetic and actually makes the characterization more interesting

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
H4BMf50.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It's definitely Leto. Haven't watched a single movie with him since Requiem that he doesn't come through as someone acting like a character rather than being the character. It this movie he's a caricature of an evil messianic figure, basically the interpretation of how an external viewer would see it. Problem is, of course, that no one self-conceptualizes as such.

Requiem probably only worked as well as it did because he was playing himself.

Last edited:

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how anyone can think it wasn't Leto.

When you think of Bowie in his role, you can picture this ageless, angelic saviour of humanity with an inscrutable visage that leaves his opinion of humanity ambiguous.

Leto played it as a straightforward evil Zuckerberg with a saviour complex, which worked adequately but was totally lacking in nuance. I don't think it's what Denis had in his mind when he first read the screenplay. There's no doubt at all that his Wallace is an evil man whereas I think the original intention was for Wallace to be a more celestial figure who pities the sordid state of humanity. In a movie of ambiguous characterisations Leto's performance is painfully over the top.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Ford looked like he was drunk half the time, and he just waltzed around in his street clothes like he couldn't be asked to give even the slightest shit. My money is on him.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's most likely Leto. However, Ford has never been an actor, he's terrible, and Gosling is the definition of wooden, which worked well for Drive, but not for every role. It's amazing the movie is as good as it is, frankly.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Leto or Ford but when i think about it, Deckard's character feels like it was written with current Ford in mind and not the other way around.
It was kinda the most fitting role for him,deckard is bitter, tired, defeated and doesn't give a f about anything.
Maybe Ana de Armas? I liked her quite a bit but my opinion doesn't matter because there's no way to know what Dennis had planned/envisioned for whatever character he is talking about.
Mackenzie Davis and Robin Wright didn't have that much screentime but they were pretty good.
I kinda fell in love with Carla Juri in this movie so i hope it's not her, and Silvia Hoeks friggin' nailed it imo.
So my choices are Leto or Ana, but like i said, it doesn't matter because there's no way to know what Dennis wanted to begin with.
I will eat my shoes if it's Ryan,he was amazing imo.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone saying Leto but....

www.avclub.com

Blade Runner 2049 director compares Jared Leto to Jesus

When the dispatches out of the Blade Runner 2049 set remained focused on the actual movie and not some outsize shenanigans, we began to doubt Jared Leto’s commitment to method acting. Even though only he has a “small part” in Denis Villenueve’s sequel as Neander Wallace, the character seems to...
I wouldn't cast Jesus in my movie, either.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Funny enough I just rewatched this last night and my brother who hadn't seen it commented that all of Leto's scenes feel completely ad libbed like he just made it up as he went along. He would be my pick too but I'm not sure if that's who Denis is thinking of. Leto did his Leto thing so I'm not sure where the surprise would be, and Denis has praised him before as others in this thread pointed.

Just gonna play the odds and say it is Ana de Armas even though I thought she was great. A 50+ year old white male director had a problem with someone's performance, I'm just gonna assume it was the young woman.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone saying Leto but....

www.avclub.com

Blade Runner 2049 director compares Jared Leto to Jesus

When the dispatches out of the Blade Runner 2049 set remained focused on the actual movie and not some outsize shenanigans, we began to doubt Jared Leto’s commitment to method acting. Even though only he has a “small part” in Denis Villenueve’s sequel as Neander Wallace, the character seems to...
Maybe Villeneuve meant that he wanted to nail him to a cross and see him die.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
All the people saying Ford, are you fucking drunk? How could that be the answer, when he's talking about casting the wrong person? Ford is playing the same character he did in the original.