• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
When I think of Kubrick, I think of a body of work that exhibits mastery of a bevy of genres and styles. Kubrick could make literally any kind of movie and you could be damn sure he'd nail it. Villeneuve does not have that range. To suggest that he does, considering his current filmography, is absurd. He's putting all of his work into dramas and sci-fi. That's fine. But it doesn't make him a Kubrick. He needs a comedy. He needs horror. He needs a period romance. He needs to stretch for this comparison to work at all-- if he wants to be "the Stanley Kubrick of our time."

But honestly he shouldn't. His career thus far that has proven that he doesn't need to reinvent the wheel in order to get endless plaudits from a certain segment of the public. Villeneuve is one of the more overrated contemporary filmmakers.

Though it's still not a perfect fit, the absolutely wild swing between Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread makes me think PTA would be the most appropriate to plug in here. Still, I think the practice of rhetorically pigeon-holing artists like this is kind of silly.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is a hot take so bad, lacking in knowledge of the medium and without any supporting evidence I'm going to just skip past pointing out why and go straight to having a nice nap.

TL:DR no he's not actually in the running with his current filmography, and Kubrick was such a singular artist (like him, loathe him or have no interest in him) that I'm not sure anyone is.

It's ok if your generation hasn't produced a singular artist of stature vs previous generations. Creativity and the ability to push the envelope in a medium is a fickle thing; it doesn't arrive like clockwork concurrently for every generation.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Oh, I'll fight you OP. While I'm not saying that Denis Villeneuve is bad or anything, it's just as of right now it's a pretty bad comparison. Think of Kubrick's range and how different his own movies were to one another. For example, you got Barry Lyndon and A Clockwork Orange. The Shining and 2001. Villeneuve needs more time to even be comparable.

If I had to guess, you have seen maybe 1 or 2 of Kubrick's movies.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Love DV, but he's not Kubrick tier, and right now my film nerd heart belongs to Robert Eggers who debuted with two full blown masterpieces.

I'm taking The Witch and The Lighthouse over any two Villeneuve joints you throw at me.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Did Villeneuve change cinema? He is a great director, but I don't see his movies pushing the medium.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not? I'm not trying to hold him as Nolan. He has a very particular style and sense of emotion . Bleak yet allows the profound to express itself.

He's the best we have right now but Kubrick is the GOAT, he doesn't have a 2001 or Clockwork Orange yet, maybe he gets there but he's not on Kubrick's level

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, and its an incredibly weird comparison. There is no one else like Kubrick.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Basically. He's essentially batting 1.000 in my mind. Hasn't made a movie I didn't love yet. I think Dune will seal the deal for him.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Basically. He's essentially batting 1.000 in my mind. Hasn't made a movie I didn't love yet. I think Dune will seal the deal for him.
But saying "the new Kubrick" means way more than just "being real good at making movies". Kubrick was a gamechanger, someone who didn't play by anyone's rules and utilized techniques that literally changed the rules of filmmaking and are still incredibly impressive 50-60 years later.

Villeneuve is good, but he's nowhere near that level.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
He's good, but his movies tend to stick to tradition. He's definitely a great director and probably among the better ones working in the mainstream today.

I'm personally keeping my eye more on someone like Robert Eggers, but he's only got 2 films to his name (both modern classics though).

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Not yet. If he successfully adapts Dune, however, I am prepared to reject the thesis of that very book in order to worship him.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This is just baffling, Villeneuve doesn't have the sheer range of Kubrick among other things. Regardless how I feel about the works of either director, this is one hell of an apples and oranges comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't really see any relationship between the two other than that they both made serious science-fiction films. I like Villeneuve well enough but he hasn't made anything remotely on Kubrick's level, whatever your metric - artistry, innovation, cultural impact, etc. I also don't think Villeneuve has inherited just about anything Kubrickian; completely different style, interests, and sensibility.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing similar about them and will only make Denis look worse. The man has made like two decent movies on top of that, which only makes this even sillier.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Denis only knows how to make movies where everything and everyone is dark and brooding. Emotionally his films are very one note.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
too early to call. also, i haven't seen yet any filmmaker that can match kubrick's consistency of camera work (not to mention his other strengths).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's not, but he's a lot closer than Nolan is.

The people trying to suggest Nolan is the second coming of Kubrick have always been the funniest. Nolan's visual craftsmanship is so basic and straightforward. It's clearly one aspect he barely gives a thought to. The complete opposite of Kubrick.

At least I haven't seen those claims in a while.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
3uSL1Fu.jpg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the comparison. Villeneuve has only been around for like 10 years compared to Kubricks ~50 years. Give the man some time.

But lol some of the takes in here. Classic internet discussions.

Villeneuve has been my favourite director since he hit the stage. His movies have ranged from good to great. I can't spot a stain on his filmography yet, all have been consistently top quality from writing through cinematography to acting and the ideas his films present. Idk what Denis does, but he gets great efforts from everyone involved.

Is villeneuve the guy that made the new blade runner?
What else did he make?

(This isn't a joke post)

Incendies
Prisoners
Sicario
Arrival
Enemy

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The people trying to suggest Nolan is the second coming of Kubrick have always been the funniest. Nolan's visual craftsmanship is so basic and straightforward. It's clearly one aspect he barely gives a thought to. The complete opposite of Kubrick.

Yep. I say this as a Nolan fan too.

Also no, Denis is nowhere near Kubrick. But, he's still probably one of my Top 3 directors today.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he's not even close even though he is a fantastic filmmaker with a long career ahead of him.

By the time Kubrick was Denis's age, he had already made Paths of Glory, Dr Strangelove, The Killing, 2001, Spartacus, The Shining, and A Clockwork Orange

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
don't forget kubrick tells mad good jokes in like all his films. if anything, kojima on his best day is closer to kubrick than any hollywood Director
I genuinely don't know if this is a joke take or not.

Finally some truth. If anything, Nolan is closer to Spielberg than to Kubrick.

Ehh, I dunno where I stand. I get the comparison though: both are big budget, blockbuster-level auteurs, with a keen eye for detail, a kinda sterile visual style, bleak characterisation, and larger-than-life subjects. Denis is nowhere near the Kubrick's Cube, but I understand the parallel and, as of right now, one could argue that he's the Kubrick of "our time" - though this imo doesn't necessarily mean he's as good as him, just that he's had a similar kind of career and goes for the same things.

These comparisons are inherently non-sensical though and overly reductive.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can make a case for Kubrick being the greatest filmmaker who ever lived. Ain't nobody making that case for Villeneuve.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Like I'm a crazy huge Nolan fan and I still wouldn't do this thread for him comparing him to Kubrick or Spielberg.

I've been rewatching Spielberg's films at drive ins recently and now I think he's somehow underrated now

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just looked up the filmography of David Fincher and realized that I saw 7 out of his 10 movies and I loved them all. I didn't know that they were all directed by him and it makes sense since all of them have similar style. Now I need to watch The Curious Case of Benjamin Button & The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I will skip Alien 3 for now.

Alien 3 is definitely his "Fear and Desire."

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like his films but there is no way this discussion would exist if his films were released in the same era. Especially if comparing to the masterpieces of the French new wave era.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see them as comparable. He simply doesn't make films as dense and complex as 2001 or clockwork orange. They're much more accessible. That's not a bad thing necessarily but there is truly only one Kubrick. For any time.

also, put some content in your OP.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think he's one of the great working filmmakers at the moment. But also, Kubrick has such a wildly diverse collection of films, they're a bit hard to compare at the moment.

I'm excited to follow Denis for the next 10-15 years and see where he goes.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He's good, but his movies tend to stick to tradition. He's definitely a great director and probably among the better ones working in the mainstream today.

I'm personally keeping my eye more on someone like Robert Eggers, but he's only got 2 films to his name (both modern classics though).
This actually seems like a better shot.

Even though personally I don't think there is anyone you can really take that shot with.

Kubrick was just so unique and unrivaled. But Eggers is really fucking interesting. Followed up a masterful horror film with a black and white psychological drama/fantasy/thriller. Next up he's doing a Viking revenge saga. Guy definitely isn't scared to test his range.

Really I just look for directors that project to have really interesting and profound careers, and in that sense I do think Denis has a case to make if he keeps it up. Dune is really going to be a huge benchmark if he can land it.

OP
OP
BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'll admit to riding high on his work lol. I've been going through his body of work recently and 'Incendies' floored me. There's just something bleak and exacting about most of his work, the consistency in it, that reads as Kubrick to me when taken in its entirety up to this point. But yeah invoking Kubrick is extremely loaded.