• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
OP?

tenor.gif
LOL.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Biden said $2000 checks out the door. Not "$1400 + the $600 you already got." People are suffering and deserve the $2000.
Biden said we should get $2,000, not $600 and if elected President he would push to give us $2,000 instead of $600.

That's $1,400. This is not a surprise to anyone. Sure I would love $2,000 more instead, but let's not make shit up.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is full of very disingenuous people. im gonna be real, they should just do $2000 checks, there is literally nothing stopping them. additionally the 600 dollar check was a while ago that trying to do "add" advertising doesn't really work.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The poliical messaging all over Georgia--and nationally--was $2000 checks, not $600 + $1400. Dems can't renege on $2000 checks with "Well actually..." reasoning and not expect blow back.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I don't know a single person in real life who didn't fully comprehend that it was 1400 on top of the 600 for a total of 2K. If the backlash is only coming from social media and niche forums, I think the dems will be just fine considering their competition is dealing with being complicit in a coup attempt.

I honestly thought it would be 2k checks coming out, but then I realized the messaging was just poor. Ossof himself kept saying "we will be giving people $2000 checks"

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, its not an article and but this is exactly what's gonna happen/is happening

Use of "2k checks" was poor messaging if they meant to supplement the 600 check with 1400, like it should never have been in question to people how much exactly to expect if Dems got control
The messaging made sense *at the time* because it was in the context of Trump demanding 2k checks instead of the 600 and this was all mostly before people even got the $600. Now that it's getting to be over a month later with a billion news cycles in between the original rationale has kind of faded, though I think the "outrage" over this is mostly bad faith from people who simply want more money and aren't truly confused about why it's just another $1400. In any case congress should just bite the bullet and up it to another full round of $2k

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I was never under the impression they meant anything other than 1400 + 600, but it really was an own goal to not be more clear with their messaging.

Regardless, there should be recurring stimulus payments, the fact that it's been almost a year and this is only the second-and-a-half one is pretty fucking wild.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you aren't as politically active as folks on here, it's perfectly understandable why they would think "$2000 checks" meant "$2000 in addition to the $600". The messaging was garbage and now Dems are paying the price.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
How are they so bad at this though...? This is such an easy win. Avoid all of this from the start - Do what you promised... It's way more than what the republicans offered, but that's not the point. Keep your word!

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why this is the sentiment, to me it was obvious since the very beginning. The math is simple.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought it was going to be like that. But they can just make it a straight $2000 check if people are that upset.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
at this point just get the ball rolling whether its 1400 or 2000. just get relief to people.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Are people in hear really think Dems plastering and calling for $2000 checks since November really meant $1400 + $600? You all really think this is going to fly with voters after seeing $2000 checks from political ads from Dems for months?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The outrage on this is seriously performative and I have to say the check issue overall makes me give a massive side eye to a lot of online progressives. There seems to be a large contingent that does just simply want stuff and doesn't care about more progressive policy like what else is in this bill and CARES, etc.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I don't understand why people in this thread are confused. The wording used was "$2000 checks." You really can't see how that would lead people to believe that they are going to get...well, a $2000 check?

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
If democrats don't keep to $2000 checks there will definitely be backlash. Those voters that came out for $2000 checks in Georgia wont show up for democrats the next time.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Whoever decided to actually tweet that today is hella dumb tbh. The backlash has already been brewing for weeks, they were just begging to get ratioed

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In all seriousness, it should have been $2000. It should have been the first $2000 stimulus of what should be a monthly $2000 stimulus. Anything less is unacceptable.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
They called it a down payment lol.

that's the part that gets me. my expectations were rock bottom and I was fully aware that 1400 was what we were going to get after they started trying to lower expectations after Georgia but I earnestly can't believe they actually used this language officially.

But where's the backlash on Republicans for going 8+ months with ZERO aid?

well they lost the election for one

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
The outrage on this is seriously performative and I have to say the check issue overall makes me give a massive side eye to a lot of online progressives. There seems to be a large contingent that does just simply want stuff and doesn't care about more progressive policy like what else is in this bill and CARES, etc.
Everyone i know including family in GA who went out have voted twice, thought it was 2k checks. I had to literally talk them off the ledge after i explained to them it was actually a $1400 check not $2000 since that's what was shown in ads and what dems were saying leading up the election.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Whether you genuinely felt it was 2k or not, why wouldn't we play semantics with Biden? Didn't he? People don't think he said 2k instead of 1.4 for a reason? That was an oopsie?

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
It makes more sense now to do $2k check considering how long it's taking to get it. It's an easy win.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Biden said we should get $2,000, not $600 and if elected President he would push to give us $2,000 instead of $600.

That's $1,400. This is not a surprise to anyone. Sure I would love $2,000 more instead, but let's not make shit up.

Then why did Warnock post tweets with images of a check showing $2000?

I didn't see a check showing $600 and then a check showing $1400

why did AOC say "$2000 means $2000, not $1400"?

youre being willfully ignorant to what was promised.

OP
OP
Rockets

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
people are really REALLY FUCKING STUPID.
You're seriously calling the millions of people that are suffering and potentially facing eviction in the middle of a pandemic fucking stupid for wanting $2000? After they were explicitly promised they'd get it? You have that much vitriol for them? I don't even know what to say.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

poor people needing money is performative, man you guys really outdo yourselves on the hot takes here.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AOC's own bill added $1400 to the $600 and did not provide a full extra $2000...

Trust me, I know. I personally understood it that way, but I see how the promise has been twisted over time.

I posted those tweets because people were saying they hadn't heard of people saying that in real life, or the backlash is niche, etc.

So even if Biden meant $1400, we're well beyond that.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly always understood it to mean $1400 but thought some of the messaging was bad from the get go. Like immediately after Trump demanded $2000, the House tried to pass a stand-alone bill and the messaging was weird. I was seeing headlines of "Pelosi to pass a bill just addressing the $2000 checks" and based on just the headlines it wasn't clear if the bill intended to
A.) send an additional $2000 check
B.) send an additional $1400 check to square the total to $2000
C.) somehow amend the previous bill's $600 so we'd just get one $2000 check

I always understood it to mean B myself, but it was less than crystal clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.