• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody here on Resetera fancy themselves a budding pixel artist? Want to contribute to an amiga demo? I'm a programmer, not an artist, and I need some neato pixel art to finish my demo.

Specifically looking for anybody who specializes in working in 2bpp or 4bpp pixel art. I'd also like to try some 1bpp mathematical effects, so if someone is skilled at 1bpp shaded art I'd be all down for that too.
I know alien (who contributed heavily to Overdrive) has at least posted in a GAF demoscene thread, but obviously they're associated with Titan already.

Still waiting on getting an Overdrive 2 cart!

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Whilst not necessarily the most impressive or anywhere near the best, a favourite of mine (probably for the music/visual sync which is basically perfect) is Panic by Future Crew:

Skaven/Purple Motion were/are wizards.

Oh man, Skaven/Purple Motion mods soundtracked many a post high school evening for me back in the 90s. Great stuff and they're still involved in the industry!

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since nobody took me up on my offer to make art for my Demo, I'm going a different route and recreating some cutscenes from modern games on old hardware:

DtAppT1V4AE_yDE.jpg:large

This is a composite of various correct bit-depth images in ILBM format for the amiga. On the left is the arcade original -- its the introduction cutscene to Fantasy Zone II DX, a system 16C arcade game released around 2009 (that is, a game from 2009, running on real 1985 hardware). That board would have cost about a thousand dollars back in 1985. On the right, the art hand converted to the Amiga. I'm managing to get 3 parallax layers out of the thing by cheating -- Opa Opa in the front is a 3bpp bitplane (7 colors + transparent), the far back is also a 3bpp bitplane (8 colors, with blue being a copper list gradient), and the middle layer is actually multiplexed 16-width 3 color sprites, one after the other in a copper list, to create a neo-geo AES style middle layer. Only 3 colors + transparent pixel, but I use a copper list to create more colors.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, Skaven/Purple Motion mods soundtracked many a post high school evening for me back in the 90s. Great stuff and they're still involved in the industry!
I loved finding video game rips (specifically, stuff they did) and finding out it was tracker music and I could listen to rips in whatever mod player I had handy (which is modizer, at least while I'm still on iOS). Case in point: Death Rally

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I loved finding video game rips (specifically, stuff they did) and finding out it was tracker music and I could listen to rips in whatever mod player I had handy (which is modizer, at least while I'm still on iOS). Case in point: Death Rally
Skaven is pretty much single-handedly responsible for most of Popcap's games being as good as they were.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Sonic Utopia on PC. Go download and play it, it's marvelous and in fact what Sega should have started working on like 10 years ago.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping, because those bastards at Titan have done it again:

Here's one done on the SNES at the same demoparty, using the Super FX:

For reference, here's the original on an ST:

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Oh fuck I didn't know we had a demoscene thread

This DOS ray tracer is also cool:

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping, because those bastards at Titan have done it again:

Here's one done on the SNES at the same demoparty, using the Super FX:

For reference, here's the original on an ST:

Dude you're bumping this for Titan?

Lemon, TBL and Haujobb stole the show today.

The Amiga compo wiped the floor with absolutely everything. I was amazed by what Lemon and TBL got out of a stock 500

Haujobb completely took me by surprise with Brutalism. What a beautiful compo, far from the tech pieces of the PC scene. It had soul, a story, art and incredible sound

Revision'19 was fantastic

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The demoscene proves that there's no such thing as a hardware "limitation", only very creative coding.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017

The Amiga compo wiped the floor with absolutely everything. I was amazed by what Lemon and TBL got out of a stock 500

Haujobb completely took me by surprise with Brutalism. What a beautiful compo, far from the tech pieces of the PC scene. It had soul, a story, art and incredible sound

Just watched the combo and yes, very impressive. :)

It was fun to see couple of old tricks in there.
Also amazing to see subpixel precision on some of the demos, stability adds so much to presentation.

Last edited:

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
How about some that use the full power of a modern PC and mature content creation tools?
(watch this one with a subwoofer if you can...)

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Number One almost feels like cheating. Those guys effectively do demoscene for a living now (Notch is a cutting edge realtime graphics engine for concerts etc
), so they have the resources of a whole content creation company behind them.

Wildstrike

Jan 18, 2018
Considering the power of the machine, the C64 Wonderland XIII demo takes some beating in the audio department..
The sampled Prodigy track is seriously impressive.. (7m 30s)

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This on an Amiga 1000/500/2000 from 1985 (1987 for the other two but exact same hardware anyway) is just mindblowing

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

I follow them on Facebook, it was the only demo I saw on literally any platform/in any category :(

PS. Haujobb stealing the show isn't news ;P

The moment the music kicks in still blows my mind.

Maybe because I read the dev writeup: http://www.reenigne.org/blog/8088-pc-speaker-mod-player-how-its-done/
Hah, the author had the same PC I had while growing up... the ol' Amstrad PC1512 (we had the PC1640, but same-same).

PPS. Link to all the comp entrants/winners at Revision 2019 on pouet.net

Last edited:

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to do something along these lines, code something for a ridiculously old machine, just to see how far I could push, but never had the slightest idea how to go about it

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted to do something along these lines, code something for a ridiculously old machine, just to see how far I could push, but never had the slightest idea how to go about it
I posted earlier in this thread Haujobb's demomaking environment for the Amiga (OCS, ECS and AGA)

You can start there

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I follow them on Facebook, it was the only demo I saw on literally any platform/in any category :(
I think its cool to see older demos being done for other hardware, especially consoles. Been many years since i was active in the demo scene myself, so i probably would have missed it if not posted.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I think its cool to see older demos being done for other hardware, especially consoles. Been many years since i was active in the demo scene myself, so i probably would have missed it if not posted.
Titan remade a 19 years old Oxygene demo for the ST, the same demo was also remade for the SNES on the very same night.

The Amiga compo was where it was at yesterday. You guys should absolutely check it out, 7 of the presented demos where absolutely amazing

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Titan remade a 19 years old Oxygene demo for the ST, the same demo was also remade for the SNES on the very same night.

The Amiga compo was where it was at yesterday. You guys should absolutely check it out, 7 of the presented demos where absolutely amazing

Yeah, i just mean that i think its cool to see people remake/port things for other systems. Like 2nd Reality that were made for C64 some years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngQaAJroQE). That was probably the first demo i've saw in my life, a friend had it on a floppy disk back in the mid 90s, ran it on my 486 DX2 66MHz :) Interesting to see how people take on demos like this and make them for other platforms instead.

Definitely great demos on the Amiga front as well! Love that people still make these. I wonder how it will in like 50 years from now, if people will make stuff for today's PC hardware in 50 years.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Always nice to see Desert Dreams. :)
Nice clean demo, good ideas and performance.

Love the 3D part and how they saved a lot of performance by locking camera rotation and using simple copperlist for a background.
I feel that Arte often gets forgotten despite having better music, presentation and programming. They were released around the same time.

Sanity's Roots 2 with its « No aga » part was equally impressive (demo boots straight to the no aga part on an O/ECS computer)

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I feel that Arte often gets forgotten despite having better music, presentation and programming. They were released around the same time.

Sanity's Roots 2 with its « No aga » part was equally impressive (demo boots straight to the no aga part on an O/ECS computer)
First note and I remembered the demo. :D
And yes it's a great demo.

We watched a lot of Amiga demos back when we were active, good times.

Last edited:

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely great demos on the Amiga front as well! Love that people still make these. I wonder how it will in like 50 years from now, if people will make stuff for today's PC hardware in 50 years.
It's the fixed and consistent hardware platform that keeps people at it. PCs are just too varied for people to hold onto any particular spec out of nostalgia. It's not even a complexity issue: There's certainly no active "early 90's PC" demoscene despite the comparable performance, so I don't think there will be anything like the modern Amiga scene for today's PCs.

What I'm not sure about is the Amiga scene outliving its veterans. TBL make the A500 sing, but they've been at it for 30 years. Are there young crews coming up behind them, or will the skillset eventually die out?

Pottuvoi your H-plus was my fav 64k intro back then. Great music and sync :)

Aquova

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Exapunks has a console meant for doing this kind of thing with their funky animated-little-robots version of assembly:

https://youtu.be/nmdEHSe7Uxw

https://youtu.be/m7vhLmHnXMc

Edit: it's not really what you'd normally think of as a scene demo, but it is impressive considering the constraints. Now I'm wondering what kinds of graphical effects you could pull off on the thing.

I didn't realize there was a new Zachtronics game either. I have no idea what's happening it in, but it looks super cool, I'll have to check it out.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill

One of the artists posted some of their process not too long ago. Really impressive with only 32 colours.
dXuOxpM.jpg

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
It's the fixed and consistent hardware platform that keeps people at it. PCs are just too varied for people to hold onto any particular spec out of nostalgia. It's not even a complexity issue: There's certainly no active "early 90's PC" demoscene despite the comparable performance, so I don't think there will be anything like the modern Amiga scene for today's PCs.

What I'm not sure about is the Amiga scene outliving its veterans. TBL make the A500 sing, but they've been at it for 30 years. Are there young crews coming up behind them, or will the skillset eventually die out?

Pottuvoi your H-plus was my fav 64k intro back then. Great music and sync :)
Yeah, i guess thats a big part of it (fixed hardware and nostalgia for those specific systems), but since those system might die out, i wonder if there will still be a desire trying to get as much as possible out of old hardware in like 50 years from now, and how the scene will evolve around that :)

One reason why there arent any big scene around early 90s PC hardware today might be because we already have more fixed systems like Commodore, Amiga and Atari, so people are rather more interested in those systems instead. But since we dont really have many comparable systems today (new ones), wont there be any nostalgia for today's PC hardware in e.g 50 years from now that will make people still want to create these types of demos? Impossible to answer this today of course, but thats what i'm mostly wondering about :)

Its not something that i've checked into though, but i just have a gut feeling that old systems like Commodore, Amiga and Atari arent popular amongst young(er) people today, so i'd be surprised if theres still an active scene around those systems in e.g 50 years from now on.

EDIT: I added some text.

Last edited: