• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem with something like Uncharted etc. is that takes way more time and effort to make it look that good ?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a bit misguided to say that RT is not a big deal when we don't know what the game would look like if it had RT lighting

I think the problem with something like Uncharted etc. is that takes way more time and effort to make it look that good ?
It's also not dynamic. With raytracing you could show that same scene at any time of the day.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is by far the best looking next gen game we have seen so far even without ray tracing so I am not upset.

Not every game needs ray tracing if the heavy performance hit could have been better spent elsewhere.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Ummm I'd rather have this gen's games look as good as demon souls with 60FPS and dynamic 4K than with Ray tracing

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
When your game looks like this, and runs at 60fps, I could care less about raytracing.

855c21a6cc493f8f522f6ba202464afc2b2f320d.gif
138af1f16050850d8d2f6961a72a4a694cc406b8.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Kind of shows that the current ray tracing enhancements are overrated, because imo the game is the best looking next-gen game right now.

If I have the choice between ray tracing and 60 fps, I'm always going to choose 60 fps. Good, faked lighting / reflections is simply good enough.

Just look at Uncharted 4 or TLOU II:

boon-cotter-epilogue-bedroom-01.jpg

boon-cotter-epilogue-livingroom-01.jpg

This baked static lighting, Demon's souls have dynamic lighting.

I think it's a bit misguided to say that RT is not a big deal when we don't know what the game would look like if it had RT lighting

It's also not dynamic. With raytracing you could show that same scene at any time of the day.

Fully dynamic lighing (direct, indirect, shadows) does not need raytracing. Some approximation like Lumen in Unreal can exist or what they were doing before adding mesh raytracing to complement the Crytek engine.

www.cryengine.com

CRYENGINE | How we made Neon Noir - Ray Traced Reflections in CRYENGINE and more!

Ahead of GDC 2019, we revealed Neon Noir, a research and development project showcasing real-time mesh ray traced reflections and refractions created with an advanced new version of CRYENGINE’s Total Illumination real-time lighting solution. Needless to say, we did receive a lot of questions...

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Sexism
Ray Tracing is like makeup. If you are a good looking person you don't need makeup, however if you are not good looking then you need it :P In some cases though no amount of makeup will help :P

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
That's surprising, I thought the game DID have raytracing. Either way, the lighting in the game is phenomenal as is, so they accomplished quite a feat without raytracing.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
That's fine (it still looks fantastic), but after finally getting an RTX card, I've seen the way, and hopefully RT becomes a standard sooner than later.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I thought it was confirmed to have RT

Anyways, the game looks amazing. I'm pretty ignorant with all this stuff, so if you tell me the game has RT I'd believe it.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This seems to work out just fine for Bluepoint. Ambitious performance targets and ray tracing don't exactly go hand in hand on consoles. Makes me wonder what kind of trickery Polyphony will pull off to get GT7 running at 4K/60 fps with ray tracing or rather which area they are most likely to compromise.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hmmm. Makes me wonder if a ps4 version would have been possible. Maybe they wanted to keep it as a ps5 system seller.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Looks absolutely incredible. I will live with this decision and enjoy the heck out of this game. Never know - maybe if we ever get a Dark Souls remake we'll see RT!

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Eh, its not like we are missing out on anything. Everything we have see so far is from the performance mode and it already looks like the best thing this year.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Kind of shows that the current ray tracing enhancements are overrated, because imo the game is the best looking next-gen game right now.

If I have the choice between ray tracing and 60 fps, I'm always going to choose 60 fps. Good, faked lighting / reflections is simply good enough.

Just look at Uncharted 4 or TLOU II:

boon-cotter-epilogue-bedroom-01.jpg

boon-cotter-epilogue-livingroom-01.jpg

It pays to remember yet again that in a static environment featuring static time of day, the lighting artists can fine tune every aspect of it (shadows and their fidelity, AO) because there is no risk of change to lighting conditions within the environment. It is why even games like HZD, which features dynamic ToD, interpolate between similarly baked lighting solutions to simulate said dynamism. The problem of typical light probes generally affects people the worst -which is why, in aforementioned HZD, when the game switches to "dialog" mode, it incorporates additional lights which, while offer much needed depth the characters, can be inconsistent with the ambient lighting. RT based GI (something that should be more common place by the time next gen rolls around) would unify all lighting under one source (or sources consistent with lighting in the scene) and affect all objects (static and dynamic) appropriately.

Thankfully, the "lumen" aspect of UE V is that interstitial compromise. From Eurogamer:

The other fundamental technology that debuts in the Unreal Engine 5 technology demo is Lumen - Epic's answer to one of the holy grails of rendering: real-time dynamic global illumination. Lumen is essentially a non-triangle ray tracing based version of bounced lighting - which basically distributes light around the scene after the first hit of lighting. So, in the demo, the sun hits a surface like a rock, informing how it should be shaded, with light bouncing from the rock, affected by its colour. The demo delivers radical transformations of scene lighting in real-time - and there's even a short section in the video dedicated to showing the effect turned on and off.

Most games approximate global illumination by pre-calculating it through a system called light maps, generated offline and essentially 'baked' into the scene via textures. With this, a scene has global illumination, but lights cannot move and the lighting and objects affected by it are completely static. The lighting is essentially attached to the surface of the objects in the game scene. In addition to this, this lightmap only affects diffuse lighting, so specular lighting - reflections like those found on metals, water and other shiny materials - have to be done in a different manner, through cube maps or screen-space reflections.

4A Games' Metro Exodus offers up a potential solution to this with hardware accelerated ray tracing used to generate dynamic global illumination, but the cost is significant - as is the case with many RT solutions. Lumen is a 'lighter' real-time alternative to offline light map global illumination that uses a combination of tracing techniques for the final image. Lumen provides multiple bounces of indirect lighting for sunlight and in the demo, the same effect is seen from the main character's flashlight.

"Lumen uses ray tracing to solve indirect lighting, but not triangle ray tracing," explains Daniel Wright, technical director of graphics at Epic. "Lumen traces rays against a scene representation consisting of signed distance fields, voxels and height fields. As a result, it requires no special ray tracing hardware."

To achieve fully dynamic real-time GI, Lumen has a specific hierarchy. "Lumen uses a combination of different techniques to efficiently trace rays," continues Wright. "Screen-space traces handle tiny details, mesh signed distance field traces handle medium-scale light transfer and voxel traces handle large scale light transfer."

Lumen uses a combination of techniques then: to cover bounce lighting from larger objects and surfaces, it does not trace triangles, but uses voxels instead, which are boxy representations of the scene's geometry. For medium-sized objects Lumen then traces against signed distance fields which are best described as another slightly simplified version of the scene geometry. And finally, the smallest details in the scene are traced in screen-space, much like the screen-space global illumination we saw demoed in Gears of War 5 on Xbox Series X. By utilising varying levels of detail for object size and utilising screen-space information for the most complex smaller detail, Lumen saves on GPU time when compared to hardware triangle ray tracing.

Another crucial technique in maintaining performance is through the use of temporal accumulation, where mapping the movement of light bounces occurs over time, from frame to frame to frame. For example, as the light moves around in the beginning of the demo video, if you watch it attentively, you can see that the bounced lighting itself moves in a partially staggered rate in comparison to the direct lighting. The developers mention 'infinite bounces' - reminiscent of surface caching - a way to store light on geometry over time with a sort of feedback loop. This allows for many bounces of diffuse lighting, but can induce a touch of latency when the lighting moves rapidly.

I want to see how it affects moving deformable characters like people and wonder whether this gen, we can finally (mostly) move past issues like incorrectly lit character models (like the following):

Dictator's examples of what RT brings to the table is as relevant as ever.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
First of all the games looks amazing! But if there is no RT what's the point of having 2 modes? Just having Dynamic 4k at 60fps would be fine.
(so no RT launch title for me)

imapioneer

Oct 27, 2017
I would've loved if there was raytraced reflections, however the game has real-time lighting so I'm happy.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
gameplay videos we saw from Demon's Souls show that games don't need ray tracing to look amazing, and those videos were 60fps too. That means 30fps mode will be even more beautiful.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This seems to work out just fine for Bluepoint. Ambitious performance targets and ray tracing don't exactly go hand in hand on consoles. Makes me wonder what kind of trickery Polyphony will pull off to get GT7 running at 4K/60 fps with ray tracing or rather which area they are most likely to compromise.
Quarter resolution raytracing plus temporal injection I'm thinking.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
ERA confuses me sometimes

I see Ray Tracing touted all the time as a massive innovation next gen will bring that everyone is excited before

I come in this thread: "game already looks so good, didn't even notice. It doesnt need it"

I hope this energy is kept for all games going forward, because I feel the same way and didn't really think too many other people did

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
What is even the point of RT. We are not even at the start of the gen but it feels like devs would rather get more details in and other things that push the hardware. Does raytracing maybe save devs time? Or maybe only use it for certain aspects of lighting. But if that's the case then i don't get all the hype behind it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I won't say, "it didn't need RT," because every game can benefit from it, but I had a feeling it wasn't going to have it. Literally the only time it was EVER mentioned in an official capacity was in the first PS Blog post about it, as a blurb in an article with blurbs about all the games presented in the June showcase. I knew they would have mentioned it more if they had it.

That being said, this doesn't make the game look less incredible. It's still clearly a more visually impressive game than, say, Miles Morales (a title that DOES have ray-tracing). Making a game look next-gen is about more than just ray-tracing. In this game's case, they went with hugely detailed geometry with liberal amounts of tesselation, and combined it was incredibly well-done post-processing effects, lighting, and shadows.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
I like era going from can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps to true 4k is waste of resource, and now RT doesn't matter.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
ERA confuses me sometimes

I see Ray Tracing touted all the time as a massive innovation next gen will bring that everyone is excited before

I come in this thread: "game already looks so good, didn't even notice. It doesnt need it"

I hope this energy is kept for all games going forward, because I feel the same way and didn't really think too many other people did
When ever you see hyperbole it's usually more in the middle. Ray tracing is wonderful but it depends on what tradeoffs you will get to achieve it also in a game like demon's souls it's benefits may not be a massive gain For what you lose.