• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
What's a "full new generation"? Every game 4k/60/RT? That's not happening in any console.

Edit: but look at this reflection

vlAg18.gif
It does look very good.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
As far as I know, these are all the AAA next-gen console games with confirmed/visible RT thus far.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Gran Turismo 7
Pragmata
Halo Infinite (being patched in later)
Forza Motorsport 8
Watch Dogs Legion

I don't know how you can suggest this proves the PS5 isn't as powerful as they're claiming, when the PS5 at launch and for the foreseeable future, is going to be the system with the most AAA (thus more visually/technically impressive) ray tracing examples.

+ DMC 5 Special Edition
+ COD Black Ops Cold War

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
You could always get Miles Morales, as well (and that one HAS Ray Tracing, perfect for your next gen needs!).
No, I don't like Spiderman, so far I'm just getting Sackboy, I was thinking about getting Destruction but the game is coming to ps plus I think so I'm gonna wait on that. I'm undecided between a game that I already played (Demon's Souls) or Godfall. When is Ratchet coming out?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's what I don't understand either, I was expecting a full new generation and I don't think we are getting that but I might be wrong, I'm getting my ps5 regardless because the next God of War is gonna be beyond EPIC, that much I know.

We are getting a full new gen , in fact this is one of the biggest jump overall when it comes to gens .
But RT is very power hungry and price of these system would have been total out of reach and even then we still far away from using for some things.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So basically ps5 isn't as powerful as sony is saying it is? I don't understand why they didn't designed a more powerful console, they had an stellar generation with the ps4, they should have gone all out with the ps5, let's see how things turns out for them, I'm buying a ps5 because I must play the next God of War but I do think they should have designed a better console, when you see a company hyping a controller and how fast the console is, you already know they lacking in the power department.

RT is not something a dev can include pressing a button if the hardware supports it. Most PC games doesn't do RT as a matter of fact. It's a new technology that not many devs engaged with.

Not 100% sure, but i think the PS5 is stronger in 2020 than PS4 was in 2013, in comparison to PCs.

Both PS4 and Xone were heavily criticized for being weak versus high end pcs back then. I guess PS5 and Series X are in a better place power wise this time.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Are you fine with paying >$500 just for the console? They're probably already selling the console at a loss (source needed as always ofc, but that's just based on previous console launches).
They've pretty much already gone all out and RT on consoles was a surprise, not something that was expected of these consoles. Mind you that the initial wired article surprised many people when it mentioned that PS5 would have ray tracing, something that was only hardware supported on NVIDIA RTX GPUs (The RTX 3060 started at $350).

Honestly to keep your expectations in check, just base the possibility of games at 4k30 with a performance mode for 60fps! It's always better to underestimate and let yourself be "disappointed". I don't feel like any of the console makers cut any corners! As a baseline they're much better than the PS4 and Xbox one could've ever been (imo).

Demon souls look amazing, will be probably stable AF (30fps or 60fps) all the time and is a great game!.
Yes, I'm fine with paying more than $500 but I understand not many people would be willing to spend that much specially on these times that we are living in right now, ok I will lower my expectations now, it is what it is I guess, anyways I'm excited to play Sackboy, Ratchet, Kena, Horizon and God of War!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be playing the game in 60 fps mode anyways so even if it had RT I wouldn't have noticed it because that would probably be limited to the 4K30 mode anyways.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
That's a shame, but the game looks glorious anyway. I'm sure they will have nailed this for Bloodborne 2. 🙃

Jan 3, 2019
What's a "full new generation"? Every game 4k/60/RT? That's not happening in any console.

Edit: but look at this reflection

vlAg18.gif
Forget the raytracing, look at that random NPC's facial expressions.

PS: Is it weird that I think the reflections should be a little more subdued? I mean, it obviously looks great but I can barely see the inside of the store.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it matter what features to be honest? If the result is being the best looking next gen game which Demon Souls looks to be, RT or not it doesn't matter.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This is another good opportunity to say that we've been faking lighting for so long now that this isn't bad news, at all. Providing the game looks like the previews I'm more than happy

Oct 29, 2017
This just highlights how overhyped RT is as a graphical selling point, relative to the heavy performance cost it incurs right now.

The game looks absolutely stunning regardless.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I still don't really understand Ray-tracing and it's impact to games whether it's good or bad. Just the simple reflection point. So I guess I don't mind it not being in Demon's Souls. Maybe they'll patch it in down the line sometime.

The game looks unbelievable especially in performance "day-time soap opera" mode as it is.

I'm eager to see the "bells and whistles" mode and what graphical improvements it provides to this already stellar looking game.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
As i said in that other thread it was clear there wasn't any RT when interviews didn't mention it 5 times already. RT is THE buzz word this gen.

Now Rt or not, i still think this games impresses with production value, textures and model quality, art direction... But it won't impress very long this gen when games with actual next gen tech and SSD voodoo will hit.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
This just highlights how overhyped RT is as a graphical selling point, relative to the heavy performance cost it incurs right now.

The game looks absolutely stunning regardless.
See I don't get quotes like this , just because a game looks very good without something doesn't mean that additional feature (ray tracing) in this instance any less visually impressive .

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I still don't really understand Ray-tracing and it's impact to games whether it's good or bad. Just the simple reflection point. So I guess I don't mind it not being in Demon's Souls. Maybe they'll patch it in down the line sometime.

The game looks unbelievable especially in performance "day-time soap opera" mode as it is.

I'm eager to see the "bells and whistles" mode and what graphical improvements it provides to this already stellar looking game.
In demon's souls I don't even know if it has a great application anyway. It's pretty much just more natural lighting and reflections that Ray tracing enables, but in a game like this where it's pretty narrow you can do some crazy stuff with other lighting techniques

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If a game can look as great Demon's Souls at 60fps by not using RT, then I question whether RT is worth it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

PS: Is it weird that I think the reflections should be a little more subdued? I mean, it obviously looks great but I can barely see the inside of the store.

i think Jstevenson posted it has been improved since then. Agree it's a bit too reflective but still pretty

Oct 30, 2017
I was watching a Minecraft ray tracing video when switching RTX off the fps was 227, with RT on, the frame rate dropped to 62.

Its a hugely taxing feature.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Quality HDR implementation will have a far greater impact here than ray tracing. That's the thing we should be crossing our fingers for. The game already has me 'crying & shaking' in SDR, I can barely comprehend the added depth and pop HDR would bring.

Oct 25, 2017
Gavin Moore hit every marketing bullet point in every interview. He didn't say ray tracing once. So this is not a surprise to me.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
So basically ps5 isn't as powerful as sony is saying it is? I don't understand why they didn't designed a more powerful console, they had an stellar generation with the ps4, they should have gone all out with the ps5, let's see how things turns out for them, I'm buying a ps5 because I must play the next God of War but I do think they should have designed a better console, when you see a company hyping a controller and how fast the console is, you already know they lacking in the power department.
This is a joke, right?

Not every dev is going to implement RT. It was never going to happen. Even if Sony put out a $1500 console it wasnt going to happen.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

Looks alright to me. Generally during bright daylight you would not see inside because of reflections.

Look at this storefront for example.

G8N0DZy.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
See I don't get quotes like this , just because a game looks very good without something doesn't mean that additional feature (ray tracing) in this instance any less visually impressive .

The way ray-tracing is implemented right now means that its only really impressive in certain contexts in certain games--and it still incurs a heavy performance penalty, even with DLSS.

Now if they could implement it without such a heavy FPS cost, that would be one thing, but if the choice is between raytracing and a 30-60% boost in FPS...I prefer the latter.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
This is a joke, right?

Not every dev is going to implement RT. It was never going to happen. Even if Sony put out a $1500 console it wasnt going to happen.
No is not a joke but it seems to me people get too defensive about everything sony does, anyways I'm not gonna say bad things about the ps5 anymore, I have lowered my expectations already, it is what it is I guess, let the new gen come, I'm ready, Sackboy is already pre ordered off psn, just waiting on sony to send me my ps5.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The way ray-tracing is implemented right now means that its only really impressive in certain contexts in certain games--and it still incurs a heavy performance penalty, even with DLSS.

Now if they could implement it without such a heavy FPS cost, that would be one thing, but if the choice is between raytracing and a 30-60% boost in FPS...I prefer the latter.
It's pretty clear to me they wanted to make this game on of the best looking 60FPS games seems like day 1 was their goal to make it 60 imo.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
If a game can look as great Demon's Souls at 60fps by not using RT, then I question whether RT is worth it.
This is a bit tough, because I don't think RT is essential, certainly not for games that would benefit from much higher frame rates.
But IT IS worth it for the majority of instances. And it's absolutely the future. And it's going to save a lot of dev time when it becomes more prevalent.

I was watching a Minecraft ray tracing video when switching RTX off the fps was 227, with RT on, the frame rate dropped to 62.

Its a hugely taxing feature.
RT is indeed taxing, but using Minecraft RTX is a poor example. Minecraft RTX is fully path traced:
Like Quake II RTX, this new-look Minecraft is fully path-traced, meaning that all the lighting in the game comes from ray tracing—shadows, lighting, reflections, materials, you name it. By comparison, the real-time ray tracing in other games thus far take a hybrid approach, applying only a handful of ray-traced effects around traditional rasterized graphics.

Translation: Ray-traced Minecraft looks stunning and behaves realistically, as you can see in the screenshots and videos Nvidia has released thus far. New physically based materials are being introduced in the beta to take full advantage of the technology.

But as anyone who has played Quake II RTX can attest, full path tracing can absolutely melt your graphics card, even in relatively modest games. There's a reason why real-time ray tracing—the Holy Grail of graphics technology—took so long to manifest, and most games still deploy it only in a handful of ways.
Source.

So while any RT is going to have a hit on your performance, it's not as dramatic as the Minecraft and Quake RTX examples.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
User Banned (3 Weeks): Antagonising another user, console warring, repeated history of similar behavior
hey remanutd do you think the XSX is as powerful as Microsoft says it is?

www.resetera.com

[Beyond3D] Watchdogs Legion is dynamic 4K on XSX (ranging 1440p-4K)

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/watch-dogs-legion-xo-ps4-xbsx-s-ps5-pc.61903/page-3#post-2170098 Users on Beyond3D have pixel counted the XSX footage - it appears to be running dynamic resolution which can hit has high as 4K and as low as 1440p in the footage released so far. Why is this...

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RT is indeed taxing, but using Minecraft RTX is a poor example. Minecraft RTX is fully path traced:

Source.
Full path tracing is the most exciting aspect of ray tracing but it has one hell of a performance hit. Hooray for stuff like DLSS!

Even the lesser features of ray tracing are cool when used correctly. Control does such a great job with reflections! Feels like most areas in the game are designed around it.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
No is not a joke but it seems to me people get too defensive about everything sony does, anyways I'm not gonna say bad things about the ps5 anymore, I have lowered my expectations already, it is what it is I guess, let the new gen come, I'm ready, Sackboy is already pre ordered off psn, just waiting on sony to send me my ps5.
It's not about being defensive of Sony. Your expectations were beyond unrealistic.

Every dev has to pick what features to implement, not just because computation is finite but so is time. No dev has the man power to implement every feature on the planet.

As mentioned in the article, BluePoint is a small team and they did not make RT a priority.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
hey remanutd do you think the XSX is as powerful as Microsoft says it is?

www.resetera.com

[Beyond3D] Watchdogs Legion is dynamic 4K on XSX (ranging 1440p-4K)

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/watch-dogs-legion-xo-ps4-xbsx-s-ps5-pc.61903/page-3#post-2170098 Users on Beyond3D have pixel counted the XSX footage - it appears to be running dynamic resolution which can hit has high as 4K and as low as 1440p in the footage released so far. Why is this...
I'm not even gonna read the article, I don't care what Microsoft or the new Xbox does, I have never owned one before and not planning to own one this upcoming gen. I'm sorry but my interest is solely on the ps5.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
It's not about being defensive of Sony. Your expectations were beyond unrealistic.

Every dev has to pick what features to implement, not just because computation is finite but so is time. No dev has the man power to implement every feature on the planet.

As mentioned in the article, BluePoint is a small team and they did not make RT a priority.
Yes, I think you are right about my expectations :( anyways let the new gen come, I'm ready.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm not even gonna read the article, I don't care what Microsoft or the new Xbox does, I have never owned one before and not planning to own one this upcoming gen. I'm sorry but my interest is solely on the ps5.
the point i was making was developers take different priorites when making their games. the lads over there making watch dogs legion decided to implement RT but as a resut, the game runs at 30fps with a dynamic res that can go down as low as 1440p. these consoles are plenty powerful but devs will take different approaches to how they develop their games. bluepoint, IMO, made the right decision to forego RT and get the game to look as good as it does.