• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
never once said games needed to have raytracing to look fantastic

not once

I'm talking about being dismissive about it and saying "it's overrated and it doesn't matter and I don't care and it's better without it"

Not my point. Did you see many people complaining Unreal 5 demo didn't have RT? Why do you think that is? Now apply the same to Demon's Souls. People are less likely to complain about such an omission when something already looks insanely good.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So basically ps5 isn't as powerful as sony is saying it is? I don't understand why they didn't designed a more powerful console, they had an stellar generation with the ps4, they should have gone all out with the ps5, let's see how things turns out for them, I'm buying a ps5 because I must play the next God of War but I do think they should have designed a better console, when you see a company hyping a controller and how fast the console is, you already know they lacking in the power department.
Lol this can't be real

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So basically ps5 isn't as powerful as sony is saying it is? I don't understand why they didn't designed a more powerful console, they had an stellar generation with the ps4, they should have gone all out with the ps5, let's see how things turns out for them, I'm buying a ps5 because I must play the next God of War but I do think they should have designed a better console, when you see a company hyping a controller and how fast the console is, you already know they lacking in the power department.

Ugh...

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Things evolve and things change.

My question is this, in the past DID they say it had a ray traced 30fps option? Or simply a 30 fps quality option we assumed would have RT? Big difference.

If they had to remove it im curious as to why? What else would take precedence in a 30 fps mode that would trump the new raytracing tech?

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
This is very odd considering how many times the PSBlog mentioned it had RT over the past few months, you'd think someone would've corrected that. IIRC the expectations were for ray-traced shadows.

It does make me curious about what the 30fps graphics option offers, then. Because the 60fps videos, which were now confirmed to be dynamic 4K, look incredible enough, I thought the only difference would be some ray-tracing effects.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
No, the PR said this:

The Ray Tracing part is incorrect, as Ray Tracing isn't supported in the game you'll be playing. They simply overpromised.
If the game doesn't have RT, it is incorrret now, do you want them to time travel and prevent the guy who wrote this to do it?

At best they can simply don't put any information regarding RT on blog posts and store pages, which I don't know if it is the case.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not my point. Did you see many people complaining Unreal 5 demo didn't have RT? Why do you think that is? Now apply the same to Demon's Souls. People are less likely to complain about such an omission when something already looks insanely good.
Yup if it was a less impressive game with less features compared to how great DS's looks with a ton of customization visual/performance options among other things then it not having RT would've been a bigger deal since people would wonder in terms of management and resources, what they instead decided to use as a trade off. More so if the game was only releasing on one platform, or less then a multiplat game.

DS's is the opposite, it is gorgeous to look at and has a ton of tweak options like the filters and a performance mode. Some would have liked it to also have RT as another option one can use but the tradeoff we got while still meeting its launch deadline is worth it for me at least.

I am still impressed with what we got, and how much it exceeded my expectations.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is very odd considering how many times the PSBlog mentioned it had RT over the past few months, you'd think someone would've corrected that. IIRC the expectations were for ray-traced shadows.

It does make me curious about what the 30fps graphics option offers, then. Because the 60fps videos, which were now confirmed to be dynamic 4K, look incredible enough, I thought the only difference would be some ray-tracing effects.
The difference is the game will look every so slightly cleaner in your potential Sony™ 4K TV purchase.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Toms analysis said there Was no visible evidence of it iirc. And my original Video on PS5 RT games just quoted the Blog post saying the same no evidence of it directly

Sorry, It was probably what you said and I didn't realized it was quote

we just quoted the psblog in an original Video saying evidence of it is Hard to point out iirc.

and I thought the RT was removed mid dev, but apparently it never had it, so the PR was wrong.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Pro-tip: inform your self about ray tracing and what it costs – especially on the AMD side.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
This is confusing. So was the RT information incorrect or was the game just downgraded (i.e. RT was removed after optimisation)?

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Yo...ray tracing is not cheap.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Not every game is going to have RT. Best to not expect that.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Ugh 2020 has just been the worst year hasn't it? How the hell am I supposed to fight Tower Knight without admiring reflections in puddles or appreciating the real world-like smooth surfaces of rocks? Cancel the game already.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It is and it's my opinion, you have yours and I respect it please respect mine, thanks. I' m keeping my opinion they should have gone all out and developed a better console but I'm ready, Sackboy is almost here and that makes me happy.

Opinions are not born equal. They have gone all out and the machine is very, very powerful. But guess what? RT is a very hungry rendering "method"; So exacting in fact that it brings the most powerful PC rigs to their knees, let alone a home console selling for a third/fourth of their prices. What you just posted is non-sensical at best...

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

As far as I know, these are all the AAA next-gen console games with confirmed/visible RT thus far.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Gran Turismo 7
Pragmata
Halo Infinite (being patched in later)
Forza Motorsport 8
Watch Dogs LegionC
CODBlack Ops Cold War

I don't know how you can suggest this proves the PS5 isn't as powerful as they're claiming, when the PS5 at launch and for the foreseeable future, is going to be the system with the most AAA (thus more visually/technically impressive) ray tracing examples.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You're deluding yourself if you think there is going to by a major significant amount of a difference if Sony decided to reach the same power output as the Series X in terms of how wide of a impact they'd get with RT. There will be a difference but not as big and game changing as some think imho.

I'd rather have the investment they did with the SSD instead then an extra few TFs. Anything higher then what MS offered and you'd have an even more expensive console.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird they would say it would then. But i cant say im too dissapointed, ill take framerate and resolution over rtx . I wish games like watchdogs legion let you shut rtx off so you can have both 60 frames and 4k

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
You're deluding yourself if you think there is going to by a major significant amount of a difference if Sony decided to reach the same power output as the Series X in terms of how wide of a impact they'd get with RT. There will be a difference but not as big and game changing as some think imho.

I'd rather have the investment they did with the SSD instead then an extra few TFs.
Ok, good to know.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
This thread and the thread about the new AC not running at 4k on PS5 has so many dismissive comments like "who cares about this stuff" and how those things are pointless. Like, it's an existing technology that could improve the visuals of the game. Is it necessary in a game for it to look good? Hell no, but maybe calm down and don't generalize and dismiss.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America

Someone fire* Cerny and put this man in Charge of PS5pro immediately! I am sick and tired of poor console design. Why can't all consoles be as "all-out" as the PS4?

Thank you for the smile, remanutd

* He doesn't technically work for Sony

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
This thread and the thread about the new AC not running at 4k on PS5 has so many dismissive comments like "who cares about this stuff" and how those things are pointless. Like, it's an existing technology that could improve the visuals of the game. Is it required for a game to look good? Hell no, but maybe calm down and don't generalize and dismiss.
Yes, that's what I don't understand either, I was expecting a full new generation and I don't think we are getting that but I might be wrong, I'm getting my ps5 regardless because the next God of War is gonna be beyond EPIC, that much I know.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, these are all the AAA next-gen console games with confirmed RT thus far.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Gran Turismo 7
Pragmata
Halo Infinite (being patched in later)
Forza Motorsport 8
Watch Dogs Legion

I don't know how you can suggest this proves the PS5 isn't as powerful as they're claiming, when the PS5 at launch and for the foreseeable future, is going to be the system with the most AAA (thus more visually/technically impressive) ray tracing examples.

The "ray tracing will be added to Halo post launch" statement was given before they delayed the game to 2021. I'd be surprised if it doesn't launch with it now considering all the extra time they have.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I was suspecting this. It had no signs.

And it's still the most impressive of all next-gen launch games. I dunno, ray-tracing seems too taxing to me. If devs eventually find a way to make it cheaper, fine, if not, they shouldn't really focus on it IMO.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes, that's what I don't understand either, I was expecting a full new generation and I don't think we are getting that but I might be wrong, I'm getting my ps5 regardless because the next God of War is gonna be beyond EPIC, that much I know.

What's a "full new generation"? Every game 4k/60/RT? That's not happening in any console.

Edit: but look at this reflection

vlAg18.gif

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
So You think if they have added RT the console would have been at least $50 more expensive?

The PS5 does support RT. We've seen a lot of RT on PS5, and we'll see a lot more.

Not every game will have RT. For some, the performance cost of RT just won't be worth it to achieve what the devs are aiming for.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Opinions are not born equal. They have gone all out and the machine is very, very powerful. But guess what? RT is a very hungry rendering "method"; So exacting in fact that it brings the most powerful PC rigs to their knees, let alone a home console selling for a third/fourth of their prices. What you just posted is non-sensical at best...
Yeah its ridiculous reading some of these statements, "should have just made a more powerful console", like an rx6900 is not going to be able to run everything ray traced, we've seen rtx 3090 benches from games where you get passable frame rate with DLSS on and in those games not every aspect is ray traced either...
Yes the devs would very much like to utilize RT as its easier to do lighting with RT than baking it, just that the cost of RT is very high

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Stop posting, please.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
So You think if they have added RT the console would have been at least $50 more expensive?

RT is in other games. It's up to devs to include or not include stuff. These new consoles are powerful but they're still £450 consoles, not £1000 graphic cards. People need to be realistic and just enjoy what are still going to be amazing games.

And definitely not nit pick everything to death.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Are you fine with paying >$500 just for the console? They're probably already selling the console at a loss (source needed as always ofc, but that's just based on previous console launches).
They've pretty much already gone all out and RT on consoles was a surprise, not something that was expected of these consoles. Mind you that the initial wired article surprised many people when it mentioned that PS5 would have ray tracing, something that was only hardware supported on NVIDIA RTX GPUs (The RTX 3060 started at $350).

Honestly to keep your expectations in check, just base the possibility of games at 4k30 with a performance mode for 60fps! It's always better to underestimate and let yourself be "disappointed". I don't feel like any of the console makers cut any corners! As a baseline they're much better than the PS4 and Xbox one could've ever been (imo).

Demon souls look amazing, will be probably stable AF (30fps or 60fps) all the time and is a great game!.

Techno