• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Must be awful for the devs seeing all the people here calling this out as lies from people who doesnt seem to realize that launch titles have significant changes being done constantly. Especially when the game looks so good. Im really not sure what do people want anymore when they care more about bullet point tech rather than the end product.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
we won't see raytracing in the majority of titles
does that make raytracing "overrated" ?

no it does not
You also quoted people who said when it looks like it does, why does it matter.

Your gotcha attempt was in saying that if it had ray-tracing, the same people would be celebrating it. When that's saying nothing at all. The game looks stunning, if RT was confirmed it would be a part of that and obviously people would think it was of benefit. As it's confirmed it doesn't it seems evident that RT isn't needed in this case for the game to look as great as it does.

Saying if the game had RT people would be claiming it was great isn't making any point, since the reason on either end is that the game looks great. So whatever technology isn't in there is obviously not needed to achieve that, and whatever is being used is.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
It doesn't mean much. No where in the interview comments does it somehow imply it was technically not possible rather then being an issue of game management with the limited time they had before launch.

We've seen R&C and GT7 have it anyways. Especially the former which is impressive in more ways then one while still have RT.

DS not having it doesn't take away from it being one of the best graphically looking and hyped launch games coming out in November with multiple options to choose from in terms of how you visually tweak it among other things like a mirror mode and a performance mode.

I'd rather have all of that then missing some of those things just to have RT.

Relax. I literally just said it was interesting.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, weird, I thought this part on the IGN interview was talking about having at least Ray Traced Shadows:

He was talking about having real-time lighting with real-time shadows in the game, which can be done without RT. The quality of the rasterized soft shadows in the game are really nice.

wN9hlRn.gif

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You also quoted people who said when it looks like it does, why does it matter.

Your gotcha attempt was in saying that if it had ray-tracing, the same people would be celebrating it. When that's saying nothing at all. The game looks stunning, if RT was confirmed it would be a part of that and obviously people would think it was of benefit. As it's confirmed it doesn't it seems evident that RT isn't needed in this case for the game to look as great as it does.
My issue with people's comments simply comes down to dismissive of raytracing simply because the game doesn't have it.

I quoted a ton of one liner posts. Like 8 of them.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Very funny. I think this gen we are going to see people get really good with "faking" ray tracing quality lighting to the point that no one will notice. Like what happened here.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Disappointing, but definitely not a deal breaker. It looks really, really good.

Also, this thread goes exactly as I expected from ERA.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
It seems to me that they likely would have had ray tracing but being one of the big launch games they couldn't have a delay to keep working on it so it has to be cut. That's just a guess though

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I don't give a shit about raytracing on consoles right now. Demon's Souls Remake has a 60fps mode, that's what I care about, and it looks fucking awesome too.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
there is no issue
Game looks amazing

I was just pointing out how the posts, particularly the ones saying stuff like "raytracing doesn't matter" are funny because if the game had it those posts wouldn't happen. And would be championing raytracing instead of the opposite.

rbfpUPA.gif

inG1I9g.gif

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
My issue with people's comments simply comes down to dismissive of raytracing simply because the game doesn't have it.

I quoted a ton of one liner posts. Like 8 of them.
Sure and you went on to say you could quote a load more. When all some were saying was that when the game looks as good as it does, what does it matter. Which is a valid opinion to hold and isn't some gotcha if they would say it matters if it had been confirmed to be used, since it would obviously be a part of what makes the game look as great as it does. It isn't though, and thus it doesn't seem to be important when it comes to achieving a game that looks as amazing as Demon's Souls does.

Just don't get why you need to quote shame people because they feel ray-tracing isn't important in this instance, when you can have a game looking as great as Demon's Souls does without it.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Disappointing to know that as a feature it is not there. To my uninformed-on-the-matter eyes this game still looks like the most beautiful video game I've seen yet on anything. Great work devs!

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Weird title, saying it doesn't support kind of implies someone could add them to the game... weird way to put it.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Must be awful for the devs seeing all the people here calling this out as lies from people who doesnt seem to realize that launch titles have significant changes being done constantly. Especially when the game looks so good. Im really not sure what do people want anymore when they care more about bullet point tech rather than the end product.
Nobody is implying devs are to blame and the devs would know this.

This falls on the PR department, so Sony themselves.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
This makes some reactions talking about "how good the ray tracing looks" back when the gameplay trailer dropped sound really funny in retrospect.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Steps for a happy life:

Sony/MS make a console
Devs choose their preferred way to leverage that tech to deliver a game they want to make
Consumers decide if they want to play that game.

that last part - ideally you do it based on gameplay, but also graphics, framerate and other aspects can be important to you too - we'll all have our own preferences. Specific technical check boxes should be way down on that list of what is important.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The conversation surrounding ray tracing is going to make this generation long and painful.
Honestly, I think it'll pass. Ray tracing is one of the easiest next gen only (Crysis, PC, Control on Switch aside) hardware features to demonstrate in screenshots and in gifs, which is why it gets all the focus. Once people have systems and can appreciate 120 hz, improved haptics and what have you, it won't be so singled out.

Its a tool for developers to decide when it makes sense. It has very tangible benefits no matter what some might say, but that doesn't make it a good fit for every game... Or for Demon's Souls.

RT GI makes sense for a game with dynamic time of day (metro exodus), or very dynamic environments (control). RT reflections makes sense for games with lots of steel and glass and marble (Miles Morales). RT shadows makes sense for games with lots of tiny or conversely lots of large sized light sources (Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

While bluepoint didn't know RT would be available to them as they designed their tech for this game, I doubt they'd have chosen RT for it. It isn't full of shiny objects. It doesn't have dynamic time of day. It doesn't have lots of very small or very large lights.

Anyone arguing that RT is never worth the extra cost, or always worth the extra cost, are completely wrong in my eyes.

I love the feature, obviously, but I trust devs to focus on the technology that makes sense for their game as bluepoint have here, and as Insomniac have with their titles.

And yeah, the laser focus on RT will pass once other next gen things like 120hz and haptics are in our homes and we can actually appreciate them.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting. We won't know really for a few year if next gen games continue to use RTX or decide it's not worth the trade off.
Well DS is jampacked with features and it was also a game that had to meet launch deadlines.

But in the future when games are post the launch window and are pushing the console to its limits, that is likely when devs will decide if RT is worth it for whatever other feature/visions they wish to add.

I for one hope FPS modes are still considered then as a common option since I am happy that so many are offering it currently but it may not last.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Sure and you went on to say you could quote a load more. When all some were saying was that when the game looks as good as it does, what does it matter. Which is a valid opinion to hold and isn't some gotcha if they would say it matters if it had been confirmed to be used, since it would obviously be a part of what makes the game look as great as it does. It isn't though, and thus it doesn't seem to be important when it comes to achieving a game that looks as amazing as Demon's Souls does.

Just don't get why you need to quote shame people because they feel ray-tracing isn't important in this instance, when you can have a game looking as great as Demon's Souls does without it.
What are we talking about here?

Does demons souls remake look great?

Did a large group of people dismiss raytracing?

would every game that CAN run raytracing at a good frame rate without sacrificing visuals benefit?

I mean what is the issue?

the entire issue at the end of the day won't matter anyway because I believe the majority of titles won't be supported

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
It had RT before, so the PR was right.
No, the PR said this:
From Japan Studio and Bluepoint Games comes a remake of the PlayStation classic, Demon's Souls. In addition to beautiful shadow effects and ray tracing, players can choose between two graphics modes while playing: one focused on fidelity, and one focused on frame rate.
The Ray Tracing part is incorrect, as Ray Tracing isn't supported in the game you'll be playing. They simply overpromised.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He was talking about having real-time lighting with real-time shadows in the game, which can be done without RT. The quality of the rasterized soft shadows in the game are really nice.

wN9hlRn.gif

Some people here act like we never had games with great lighting and shadowing before ray tracing was a thing.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Well DS is jampacked with features and it was also a game that had to meet launch deadlines.

But in the future when games are post the launch window and are pushing the console to its limits, that is likely when devs will decide if RT is worth it for whatever other feature/visions they wish to add.

I for one hope FPS modes are still considered then as a common option since I am happy that so many are offering it currently but it may not last.

Yeah I agree that more options are better. Hopefully we will see more of that this gen.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
User Warned - Platform Warring
So basically ps5 isn't as powerful as sony is saying it is? I don't understand why they didn't designed a more powerful console, they had an stellar generation with the ps4, they should have gone all out with the ps5, let's see how things turns out for them, I'm buying a ps5 because I must play the next God of War but I do think they should have designed a better console, when you see a company hyping a controller and how fast the console is, you already know they lacking in the power department.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
there is no issue
Game looks amazing

I was just pointing out how the posts, particularly the ones saying stuff like "raytracing doesn't matter" are funny because if the game had it those posts wouldn't happen. And would be championing raytracing instead of the opposite.
Should probably check all the threads about performance mode(DMC5:SE, Spiderman, DeS when people thought it would have raytracing, etc... ) to see how many there were dismissing RT in favor of performance mode before saying this lol.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Poor Ray-Tracing :( Being kicked like a non-essential features from the best launch game must be humiliating.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
What are we talking about here?

Does demons souls remake look great?

Did a large group of people dismiss raytracing?

would every game that CAN run raytracing at a good frame rate without sacrificing visuals benefit?

I mean what is the issue?
That I think it's poor to quote shame a load of people into some unfounded gotcha just because they've suggested ray-tracing isn't as important to them, in the knowledge that the game looks as good as it does without it.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
So basically ps5 isn't as powerful as sony is saying it is? I don't understand why they didn't designed a more powerful console, they had an stellar generation with the ps4, they should have gone all out with the ps5, let's see how things turns out for them, I'm buying a ps5 because I must play the next God of War but I do think they should have designed a better console, when you see a company hyping a controller and how fast the console is, you already know they lacking in the power department.
Yikes