• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
(Let's just assume that the remake will be exactly the same as the original in terms of item locations, stats, etc.)

I'm trying to plan out my build like I always do when I play a Souls game and I'm having a hell of a time doing so with Demon's Souls.

I intend to play as a knight focused on PvE. I have no interest in PvP in these games so I never optimize my characters for that. Here are my main questions:
  1. What level do you generally end up at by the end of the game?
  2. What's the easiest upgrade path to max out? I don't want to have to grind for hours to get the materials I need to get my weapon fully upgraded.
  3. What's the recommended path through the game for beginners?
  4. How many points should I invest in vitality and endurance?
Also, is it just me or is it way harder to get a high AR in DeS than in DS1? In DS1 a +15 mace used with 40 strength deals 400+ damage per swing. In Demon's Souls, a Crushing Battle Axe +5 used with 40 strength only does 244 damage. What gives? Do enemies have more health in DS1 so the AR values are higher to compensate?

Any advice you folks could provide would be great!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You're kinda ruining your fun, man!

But the easy class are Royals. Magic is also OP, but I'm sure it will get get nerfed some.

Game is still a Souls game. It will be hard. Learn on the fly. Best way.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
When talking about attack damage, what enemies are you basing this off of?

Weapon type matters when fighting different enemies. Skeletons are more resistant to slashing type weapons like curved swords and piercing type weapons like spears. But they are weak to blunt weapons like clubs and maces and will take more damage from those weapons (hint- even punching then will be more effective than using a sword!). This makes sense, because there is no flesh to slash.

The battle ax is a standard type weapons iirc, so you won't get any damage bonus when attacking a skeleton but not do less damage to it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Remove all armor. Equip club. Experience the magic.

2cCg6qw.gif

I'm playing as a Royal again. I hope they're just as OP as before lol.

MIAzQG8.gif

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Magic was broken in the og so that's always an easy main/sub type, I always like starting as knights to ease the beginning but then transitioning to magic.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You typically finish like four or five levels below your level before the penultimate boss

Also obv naked build with two handed hiltless

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
I think I played as a Knight and just used the Dragon Bone Smasher and Soul Ray most of the time lol

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
You can always spin to win with Mirdan Hammer.

But I will always love the Meat Cleaver. Demon's Souls had the best version, they were never as cool in other Souls games.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Blueblood Sword.

That's literally all you have to know.

BBS build is more of a veteran / PvP option and not suitable for a beginner doing PvE, IMO. You don't get access to it until end-game, and it has such specialized stat requirements that your character will kind of suck for the majority of the game.

Jun 7, 2020
Pre-ordered for PS5, my first Souls-like game. Never been a fan of hack & slash gameplay but Ghost of Tsushima surprised me, and I enjoyed it a lot. Yes, I know it's a very very different game and genre, but the simple parry and counter, dodge timing stuff etc has opened me up to trying a type of game I'd normally have dismissed.
I just hope it's fun in its own different way.
I know enough to know that a Soul's game will be difficult, I just hope it's not "difficult" in a repetitive time consuming spongy way.
The game itself looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to giving it a good shake and hope it grabs me.
This thread piqued my interest but it's cool to see people just saying to go in blind and don't overthink it too much. I'm guessing the "perfect" build is something for another play-through if the game becomes a favourite?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know how the remake is gonna be but be very careful with the NPCs. This might be spoilerish but do not bring
Yurt
to your hub. He will start killing all of your other NPCs. Make sure you get the merchant NPC forgot his name.

Don't worry too much about build. You will figure out what you want to focus on. I personally stayed away from range attacks and focused on spells to only aggro enemies. Otherwise I was a strong tank build.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pre-ordered for PS5, my first Souls-like game. Never been a fan of hack & slash gameplay but Ghost of Tsushima surprised me, and I enjoyed it a lot. Yes, I know it's a very very different game and genre, but the simple parry and counter, dodge timing stuff etc has opened me up to trying a type of game I'd normally have dismissed.
I just hope it's fun in its own different way.
I know enough to know that a Soul's game will be difficult, I just hope it's not "difficult" in a repetitive time consuming spongy way.
The game itself looks awesome, and I'm looking forward to giving it a good shake and hope it grabs me.
This thread piqued my interest but it's cool to see people just saying to go in blind and don't overthink it too much. I'm guessing the "perfect" build is something for another play-through if the game becomes a favourite?

Yeah, your first playthrough should be about learning how to play the game, enemy attack patterns, what your stats do, and the layout of the world, etc. Once you have a good grasp of that, then you can try to specialize into specific builds.

Warning: you will die a lot. But take each death as a learning experience- oh, this trap in this hallway killed me so now I know to avoid it, maybe I should try using ranged attacks on this enemy instead of going toe to toe with it, maybe I need to level up my stats or weapon before fighting this boss, etc...

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
BBS build is more of a veteran / PvP option and not suitable for a beginner doing PvE, IMO. You don't get access to it until end-game, and it has such specialized stat requirements that your character will kind of suck for the majority of the game.
I got it on my first and only playthrough of the game, and I'm far from a veteran. It made life incredibly easy for me tho...

I will say that I had to look up how to actually make it. But it definitely wasn't late game, and considering the Flamelurker's weakness to magic and the fact that it has like, 3 moves, it wasn't exactly difficult to get the requirements for the sword at all. I actually stumbled upon him by accident after beelining through World 2...

NeoSabin

Aug 12, 2019
Large Sword of Searching and Blueblood Sword are your friend but I suggest playing blind with what you think you will like and stay determined!

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I got it on my first and only playthrough of the game, and I'm far from a veteran. It made life incredibly easy for me tho...

I will say that I had to look up how to actually make it. But it definitely wasn't late game, and considering the Flamelurker's weakness to magic and the fact that it has like, 3 moves, it wasn't exactly difficult to get the requirements for the sword at all. I actually stumbled upon him by accident after beelining through World 2...

I can only think that you had a pretty atypical playthough. You get the required soul from 5-3, which is going to be one of the last stages a casual player would beat.

Pumping strength, dex, magic, and faith equally is also not a good idea for any other build besides this. Nor is investing in luck. I guess I could see someone who had no experience with any Souls games might do that, and I kind of felt like BBS was put in as a consolation prize for them.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Start class as Royal. Beat the first boss. Then never level up, go straight to 4-1 and obtain the Crescent Falchion and become a badass.
Enjoy the SL 1 playthrough.

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017
I just hope they do like current souls games and give you 1 garanteed drop of every top tier upgrading material. I remember giving up farming skeletons for a sharp stone or slab or whatever the name of the item that maxed out the DEX weapon upgrade path in Demon's Souls.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I can only think that you had a pretty atypical playthough. You get the required soul from 5-3, which is going to be one of the last stages a casual player would beat.

Pumping strength, dex, magic, and faith equally is also not a good idea for any other build besides this. Nor is investing in luck. I guess I could see someone who had no experience with any Souls games might do that, and I kind of felt like BBS was put in as a consolation prize for them.
I thought the Blueblood Sword scaled off of luck?...

And yes, my playthrough was PARTICULARLY atypical, but I imagined it was for everyone. I mean, they pretty much let you go anywhere as long as you could get through it, which was why I got trolled into almost quitting the game when I decided the first place I would visit was the Storm Corridor...

World 5 honestly wasn't particularly difficult by any means, or, at least, not any more difficult than a few other areas of the game. Neither was the maiden boss...

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit confused OP... there's several broken ass builds to choose from on DeS. Like most souls games, most of everything is viable in PvE if you upgrade them enough. For pvp I'm going blue blood sword but probably for my second playthrough. I haven't played Des in so long now I just want to experience the game at whatever pace I want to first round, whatever weapon I'm feeling is what I'll go for, alongside magic.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they do like current souls games and give you 1 garanteed drop of every top tier upgrading material. I remember giving up farming skeletons for a sharp stone or slab or whatever the name of the item that maxed out the DEX weapon upgrade path in Demon's Souls.
Pure Bladestone. They definitely need to up droprates for that

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Here's the plan:

Everytime you find something that looks cool, or cooler than what you currently have, you equip it. Does it have worse stats? Obviously not, because you thought it looked cool enough to equip, therefore it is statistically better because coolness is the only metric.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the Blueblood Sword scaled off of luck?...

It does. But luck is a bad stat to invest in for anything other than the BBS.

This is why I think it is not generally a good weapon for new players to target. The optimal skill points for BBS are so different for what you would do for any other weapon / spell in the game. If you don't find the weapon fun once you get it, you are kind of screwed.

It makes more sense for me to keep your options open in the first playthough. If you happen to find BBS fun, then do a 2nd playthough where you make a build specifically for it.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how the remake is gonna be but be very careful with the NPCs. This might be spoilerish but do not bring
Yurt
to your hub. He will start killing all of your other NPCs. Make sure you get the merchant NPC forgot his name.

Don't worry too much about build. You will figure out what you want to focus on. I personally stayed away from range attacks and focused on spells to only aggro enemies. Otherwise I was a strong tank build.
I forgot about this and clicked the spoiler. Never played but read about it in years past. VERY glad you posted this as a reminder. Definitely not something I'd want, and definitely something I'd do.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's really terrible how hardly anyone is reading the OP. Shame on y'all.

Blueblood Sword.

That's literally all you have to know.
While this at least fits the "knight PvE" theme, it's also terrible advice.

- First, it's not "literally all you have to know". In fact, it explains nothing. The Blueblood sword is a late-game weapon, meant for NG+ essentially. By the time OP can obtain it, they'll have likely played through most of the game.
- Second, you need a very specific build to make good use of it. Which is... what the OP is asking: help plan a build. The BBS requires specific stat investment or it's literally unusable.
- It scales with Luck so you also need to invest lots of points in Luck.
- And even at bare minimum stat requirements, it actually kind of sucks unless you invest in the magic stat (almost as much as in the Luck stat) to combine it with Light Weapon, then it's very strong.
- And you need the insanity catalyst to make good use of that spell too.

So yeah. You literally advised him to get the weapon around which it's the most complicated and difficult to create a good build for, without saying anything about it. Tch!

1. What level do you generally end up at by the end of the game?
  2. What's the easiest upgrade path to max out? I don't want to have to grind for hours to get the materials I need to get my weapon fully upgraded.
  3. What's the recommended path through the game for beginners?
  4. How many points should I invest in vitality and endurance?
What kind of knight do you wanna make? If you are using sword-and-board, or a polearm like the mirdan hammer, a faith or strength build is the way to go.

If the game is anything like the original, I'd recommend a faith build. The magic damage from faith-infused weapons is very strong, the HP regen stacks with the Regen ring and the Adjudicator shield, which will all make the poison swamp a joke. A blessed mirdan hammer or a blessed claymore are very, very good PvE weapons. For a faster weapon, you can use the longsword or knight sword, but it doesn't pack quite the same punch.

1. It's been a while since I only did normal PvE but I'd say 80 or so is probably a good level to end the game at.
2. Regular upgrade paths (using hardstone or sharpstone) is the easiest though it's generally not as good for min-maxing. Quality builds (using Clearstone) is also fairly easy to come by. Mats aren't too rare. Strength builds are also OK: the pure greystone isn't too rare (you can get a free one by trading the Dragon Bone Smasher to Scirvir the Wanderer, IIRC... though then you lose the DBS, but if you're playing a "knight" type, you might not want it anyway). For faith builds, faintstone isn't too bad; you get a free Pure from that lady in the Nexus once your faith reaches a certain level IIRC. Farming for chunks might suck a little bit, but it sucks for every stone, tbh.
3. If you go faith, try to go to 5-1 (Valley of Defilement) as fast as possible to pick up the Blessed Mace. It will be a very decent weapon for the skeletons in 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) and should carry you for a while until you get what you need to upgrade your preferred weapon. I won't go into too much details though because... frankly, the remake change so many things as to make all of this advice useless lol
4. A lot. If you want to wear the full knight armour, pump END early on, or you'll fat-roll. I'd recommend using light gloves/pants until then, tbh, fast roll is always better. In the original you'd cap END at 40, because you stop gaining stamina after that. VIT is good to update until you hit 40-50 or so. For NG and PvE, 35-40 is probably fine. If you go faith you also have access to the miracle Second Chance (you only need 16 faith for it) which revives you once after you die. Very useful spell. But in general, in DeS for melee builds, you want to pump VIT and END comfortably high, then focus on your main "damage" stat, which is, the stat your weapon scales with, so either faith, str, or dex, generally. And then you can ignore almost everything else, maybe raise dex a little to use a weapon that requires it, or something like that, but don't touch it otherwise. For example if you start at 10 dex but want to wield the Mirdan Hammer on a faith or str build, raise dex to 12 but stop there.

As for your other queston: AR and damage are not the same thing. AR is the attack rating of your weapon, but damage is calculated based on that + the enemy's defense/armour. Plus, weapons with magic damage have "split" damage, between physical and magical, and damage is calculated on both the enemy's magic defense and physical defense. So a weapon that has 244 phys AR, might still be decent against an enemy resistant to magic, compared to a weapon that is 150 phys/250 mag (for a total of 400 AR) which might actually hit less.

Hope this makes sense!

Whats the equivalent of Ludwig's Holy Blade?

Asking for a friend.
The Large Sword of Moonlight. It has faith scaling, does 100% magical damage and 0 physical, and bypasses shields (even shields with 100% magical block). It's not a super great weapon tbh, but it has its uses for faith builds I guess.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
- First, it's not "literally all you have to know". In fact, it explains nothing. The Blueblood sword is a late-game weapon, meant for NG+ essentially. By the time OP can obtain it, they'll have likely played through most of the game.
- Second, you need a very specific build to make good use of it. Which is... what the OP is asking: help plan a build. The BBS requires specific stat investment or it's literally unusable.
- It scales with Luck so you also need to invest lots of points in Luck.
- And even at bare minimum stat requirements, it actually kind of sucks unless you invest in the magic stat (almost as much as in the Luck stat) to combine it with Light Weapon, then it's very strong.
- And you need the insanity catalyst to make good use of that spell too.
Okay, first of all, your tone is very condescending over an obviously playful comment. But even worse, this entire "it's a late game weapon" noise isn't even an accurate comment in reference to a weapon that can be obtained after beating 4 levels and two bosses. You can get well prepared for wielding the Blueblood Sword in that time...

I don't claim to be an expert on Demon's Souls, but I am pretty good at reading, and the OP does ask for "any advice" you could give. I'm sorry me and the rest of the thread isn't responding specifically the way YOU would like us to...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Okay, first of all, your tone is very condescending over an obviously playful comment. But even worse, this entire "it's a late game weapon" noise isn't even an accurate comment in reference to a weapon that can be obtained after beating 4 levels and two bosses. You can get well prepared for wielding the Blueblood Sword in that time...

I don't claim to be an expert on Demon's Souls, but I am pretty good at reading, and the OP does ask for "any advice" you could give. I'm sorry me and the rest of the thread isn't responding specifically the way YOU would like us to...
OK so. You call me condescending and then say I'm posting "noise"? Look. I got annoyed because your advice is, continues to be, inaccurate and unhelpful.
To get the BBS, you need to beat 6 levels, not 4, and as many bosses. The BBS is traded from the 5-3 boss soul, so you need to beat 1-1 first obviously, then all 3 levels/bosses of world 5 -- one of the hardest and most daunting area of the game, especially if you're a new player and unprepared. Then, to make the weapon, you need the Red Hot Demon Soul, which is obtained from beating 2-2, this includes Flamelurker, one of the hardest bosses in the game. This adds up to 6 levels/bosses.

Then once you get all that, you need to level up stats a certain way (the stat investment to even begin to wield it is heavy, and this is without putting anything in VIT or END at all), and to make it actually good and strong, you need to beat the boss of world 3 (that's 3 more bosses) to get the insanity catalyst because the sword frankly kind of sucks without it - might as well just pick up the blessed mace in 5-1 or the crescent falchion in 4-1, upgrade it and stick with that.

If you already know how to get the weapon and build for it, that's great, but a new player won't know any of that. Plus, the OP is asking for build advice, asked for specific questions, and you just... named a weapon, one that's notoriously difficult and complicated to build for without a guide, and declared "that's all you need to know". Don't complain to me because I point this out. :P

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dump all your points into sorcery related stats and focus on spells. Learn to enjoy the cheese.