• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with the new UI. It looks more sleak and takes up less screen real-estate, which I appreciate. Plus, there's no more annoying pop-up when you pick up items.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
This look freakin great. Cant wait to return to Boletaria. Watching the video, I got the impression that they had to understand the whole lore before they were allowed to develop the game. Feels like they did an amazing job.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The obligatory "gorgeous!" and "but meh on that very simplistic and flat UI" aside, what do you guys think about those damage type effects on the models? The effects quality is high and nice looking, no doubt, but I'm not a fan that you can hit a huge boss with one small fire blade and immediately its entire body is lit aflame like it's a torch, lol. It's fitting when e.g. the Flamelurker hits the player but looked silly with the Dirty Colossus.

EJb16GQ.jpg
DliEdPr.jpg

As nice as the fire effects look, it also hides away the actual model's detailed textures. I know these 'entire models encompassing' effects are somewhat standard but a more localized effect here would be preferred, imo.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
The obligatory "gorgeous!" and "but meh on that very simplistic and flat UI" aside, what do you guys think about those damage type effects on the models? The effects quality is high and nice looking, no doubt, but I'm not a fan that you can hit a huge boss with one small fire blade and immediately its entire body is lit aflame like it's a torch, lol. It's fitting when e.g. the Flamelurker hits the player but looked silly with the Dirty Colossus.

EJb16GQ.jpg
DliEdPr.jpg

As nice as the fire effects look, it also hides away the actual model's detailed textures. I know these 'entire models encompassing' effects are somewhat standard but a more localized effect here would be preferred, imo.

I thought that, too. It's a bit much.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

EJb16GQ.jpg
DliEdPr.jpg

Though, one point that came to mind just now. Just maybe it's supposed to happen with the Dirty Colossus because it has a fire damage weakness (or so I assume from the commentary) and it's engulfed in toxic fumes that would ignite? But yeah, if it's just s.th. that generally applies to enemies of that scale then I'm not liking it.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
So by reading this theead, the biggest complaint is the UI not having drop shadow effect; I'll take it. Can't wait for next week!

Rhav

Jun 1, 2019

EJb16GQ.jpg
DliEdPr.jpg

It was a bit jarring, I don't mind the effect itself but it would've been better with a more gradual increase.

MekaMachine

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
I just assumed it was because his poison gas got ignited or something.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just watched the whole video in 4k and while i don't want to be pointlessly negative, I won't believe anybody that tries to tell me this game couldn't run on a PS4.

The lighting on the walls was gorgeous though.

I mean, it could run a switch as well with enough work.

It's a gorgeous and super detailed remake.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I just finished Bloodborne last month. Is this harder or easier?
While it's not a 1 to 1 comparison to Bloodborne you should be fine using some of what you learned in that game here . It is slower paced as BB asks you to be more aggressive . Also if you really want easy mode (if they didn't change it ) start with magic!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going dark. I'll soak up second hand impressions without watching this, and while I watched the DF around Spiderman I stopped the Giantbomb quick look in case of story spoilers.

I'll check out reviews, and technical impressions and comparisons for games I'm interested in though (Dirt 5 and Sackboy the two I haven't yet bought)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Oh I know, believe me. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug sometimes :D

In many ways it's true. There's very little build variety in Sekiro and it's much more straightforward in many ways.

Not only demon's souls but other soul's game, the remake looks much better. I heard the game looks like Dark soul's 3 on PC or Bloodborne.

This Dark souls 3 on 4k ultra 60 fps and the remake looks better

Same here for Bloodborne.

"Flamelurker is one of the most beloved of all the Demon's Souls bosses."

No he isn't, fuck that guy. I had to trap him in the environment using an exploit in order to have any hope of beating him.

They said they fix boss glitches.

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the OG version a couple of days ago, and it was... fine? I totally get the cultural significance of it, but I feel like the later games were much stronger overall. Like, if they are going to fundamentally alter the original's aesthetic so completely, why not improve on some of the boss encounters or rework the grass system to be a bit more balanced? Something I've never seen criticized (so maybe its just me), is that the worlds just kind of end right after beating the second boss. After beating the Maneaters or whomever, you're then about 30 seconds away from the Old Monk, no further exploration of this awesome setting.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I really think Demon's deserved a more complete remake, something akin to the RE 1 Remake, which would both incorporate the improvements made since the original and surprise old fans by re-arranging elements and adding new obstacles as well. I know Bluepoint refrained from making a 6th Archstone, but fuck it, they seem willing to make drastic changes to everything else, why not make a new area.

When I get a PS5 sometime in the future, I probably will like Demon's, but it seems like it's going to be a bit more disposable than other Fromsoft games, both for the lack of additions to the experience and for the relative ease of the game compared to everything that would come after it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew coming into this thread to read Gamer Complaints™ was going to be a mistake, alas, I did it anyway. Y'all just don't quit with the nitpicking.

The footage was amazing and I am beyond hyped to dive in on launch day :D

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely cannot wait to find and follow all of the NPC storylines in this, as well as see the difference depending on world tendancy.

Demon's is definitely the one I'm least familiar with and I never saw much of that stuff when I played it.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
Man, this looks so amazing. Can't wait to see the graphics mode. I hope they have other improvements instead of only enable native 4k.

yung-goose

May 12, 2020

EJb16GQ.jpg
DliEdPr.jpg

it's just an an amped of version of the effect that happened already in the original demon's souls dude. https://youtu.be/dUUA9yrq2a4?t=74

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not only demon's souls but other soul's game, the remake looks much better. I heard the game looks like Dark soul's 3 on PC or Bloodborne.

This Dark souls 3 on 4k ultra 60 fps and the remake looks better

Same here for Bloodborne.

They said they fix boss glitches.

you even cheated here putting a video of Bloodborne alpha which looks better than retail (better lighting).

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
The game looks insane.

Now I want Bluepoint to remake every Souls game in chronological order. I doubt Elden Ring will have as good graphics as DeS lol

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This looks better and better every time I see it, it's gone from being a game I wasn't really interested in to a must-buy. I went back to read my GAF posts about the original Demon's Souls when I first played it on PS+ and they were comically cringe, I was talking about ragequitting after dying to the initial fake-out boss. Surely I was being partially facetious but it was seven years ago so who knows. I hadn't played a Souls game before and I definitely remember being heavily influenced by the "you WILL die, this game is ULTRA DIFFICULT" narrative so I was more inclined to think everything was an intentionally cheap kaizo death. I tried to revisit it again a few years ago, but for some reason the download repeatedly glitched and the game refused to ever start up. I guess it was a blessing in disguise now that I can enjoy the remake as an almost entirely fresh experience.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Eh don't really have an opinion about the UI. Looks fine.

I hope there is an option to make the item/weapon select tiles smaller. I don't need them to be this big

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, yeah, extremely 'amped up'. The one in the video has a more localized approach that I mention I'd take over immediately turning the entire thing into lava.
What you're seeing is the regular fire effect on top of the additional effect of the colossus burning, and you end up focusing on the regular effect on the bottom right, especially on the last hit when the player gets knocked away. It is far more pronounced in the remake of course (which fair enough can still be a criticism), but the overall fire effect on him in OG is more than you would see on most other enemies, and this is an extension of that.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
lmao damn ima dumbass i thought the game was legit gonna look like the past gameplay trailers where there was no UI at all