• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The mix of sans-serif for the font and block colours instead of any gradients or shadow for the meters are what make it look kind of flat. Minimalist, sure, but flat. It's more of a preference thing though, especially when we're used to Souls games not having such 'clean' UI. Not a huge fan but it's readable which is great for accessibility, and I'll probably forget after 5 minutes of playing.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
UI is too plain and modern. It doesn't fit the Demon's Soul style, the same thing with the text. But, that's a minor complaint.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone gif the last few second pan around shots from the 4K video. That architecture detail is just...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I loooove the approach of cranking the atmosphere & production values to 10000x, but keeping the original code & game design unsullied at the heart of things.

Spent a thousand hours with these games and thirst for more, but having never owned a PS3, DeS remains a gaping hole in my gaming history. Honestly this is a dream scenario and I can barely fucking believe it.

Sep 17, 2020
Tower of Latria, the best level out of all Soulsborne games, returns. Looking forward to that the most and wondering how 3D audio and haptics will make a difference

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Looks amazing, cant wait. The UI lacks personality but it doesnt really bother me.

There is no meter when you get poisoned in the original either for those mentioning it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
So it sounds like if I've beaten Bloodborne and DS3 this shouldn't be too difficult for me? I'll probably pick it up sooner rather than later then

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
outputae594cd36f673633.png
Forever rocking that outfit as soon I'm able to find it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So it sounds like if I've beaten Bloodborne and DS3 this shouldn't be too difficult for me? I'll probably pick it up sooner rather than later then
Correct. Among the Souls fans this is generally considered to be the easiest one. There are some things that can give you a harder experience than necessary though, like world tendency.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. Demon's Souls is comparatively pretty easy, aside from 4-2, in my opinion. Especially the bosses, which are eiter much easier version of the later bosses or more focused on specific gimmicks you need to figure out instead of a test of skill.

It's still an amazing game, and I personally like it more than Dark Souls III, but anyone expecting a challenge after beating the more recent games will come out disappointed.

EDIT: Playing as a sorcerer makes the game even easier, but it's already easier in general, so I'd still recommend it because in my opinion it's the most fun magic build in the whole series, and it fits the story wonderfully. As far as I'm concerned, a sorcerer playthrough is the canon one. Miracles would also work storywise, but they're really lacking when it comes to gameplay in Demon's.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those are definitely words I would attach to the Souls series. Definitely.

Just because it's a Gothic style game, doesn't mean it has to be gaudy and forced with that style. There's not this unwritten rule that these kinds of games need to still be using the PS2 era style art to really hammer home how dark and oppressive it is lol.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Correct. Among the Souls fans this is generally considered to be the easiest one. There are some things that can give you a harder experience than necessary though, like world tendency.
I'll have to look up the world tendency. I've heard the phrase come up a few times but still don't know what it is.

Definitely not. Demon's Souls is comparatively pretty easy, aside from 4-2, in my opinion. Especially the bosses, which are eiter much easier version of the later bosses or more focused on specific gimmicks you need to figure out instead of a test of skill.

It's still an amazing game, and I personally like it more than Dark Souls III, but anyone expecting a challenge after beating the more recent games will come out disappointed.

That all sounds fine to me. I'm not looking for a huge challenge. Just something fun

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
UI looks perfectly fine to me. I would say I'm surprised at the complaining, but y'all love to be upset over every little thing. 🤣

Anyway, I literally could not tell if that dropped below 2160p. Looked crisp all the way through on my OLED. Also, I wish they would show the Cinematic mode. I want to see what the differences are.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, but I'm not sure I'll be buying this, I really struggled with Sekiro and gave up after the great ape, by all accounts Sekiro is meant to be easier so I'm not sure it's worth me buying.

Haha, what? People were lying to you friend, Sekiro is MUCH harder than Demon's Souls.

Yes. Demon's isn't harder than Bloodborne.

Oct 25, 2017
I literally could not tell if that dropped below 2160p in that video. Looked crisp all the way through on my OLED. Also, I wish they would show the Cinematic mode. I want to see what the differences are.
It wouldn't surprise me if they just think it's not worth showing it. Youtube compression would likely make the only noticeable difference be the lower framerate.

I haven't. I hear it's pretty good in this one
It's a lot of fun to use, my favorite magic build in the entire series, and the story is written in a way that makes it resonate more with people using either sorceries or miracles.

Brilliant, brilliant game.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I mean you can dislike it, but when the only comment you leave on a stunning, 12 minute gameplay video is "The UI is terrible" then you're just trolling in my eyes. Not saying that everyone is doing that, but many are.
Many of us have already seen this game in other videos and have expressed our amazement at how it looks and the fact that it plays nearly identical. Those of us who were hoping they'd fix the UI from those other videos are simply disappointed we're getting something that is bad (for a Souls game).

Rhav

Jun 1, 2019
I'll have to look up the world tendency. I've heard the phrase come up a few times but still don't know what it is.

That all sounds fine to me. I'm not looking for a huge challenge. Just something fun

I wouldn't bother with world tendency on a first playthrough, it's rather minor stuff and will just hamper the pace.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's a feature that impacts the difficulty of the game a bit, but it wasn't really clear in the original game, so people were playing with dark tendency without knowing it, and having a harder time with the game because of it. The remake will have an icon or some kind of indicator to show world tendency to make things a bit more clear.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Also, as someone who has played From Soft games since King's Field I think that UI is slick as hell. It's easy to read and non-intrusive.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Looks fantastic. And the UI looks great too. It's simple and straight forward. Easy to read and grasp. I've seen ugly UIs, and this ain't it.

It's hard to believe that I'll be popping this into my system next week. Got my date from Amazon yesterday, and it's scheduled to arrive on the 12th. It's not going to be the first PS5 game I play (that's gonna be Astro's Playroom), but I'll definitely play it later on in the evening for sure.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I was going to watch the video, but with 5 days to go I think I'm just going to wait to see my first real look at the game until I can boot it up at home and enjoy it in all its glory.

With that said, I'm excited about the reactions I'm reading here!