• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif
Yeah it's true eh eh eh.. I just don't like the mosquitoes, the rest is amazing, it's so intricate.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Never been a big Souls fan (loved Sekiro though) but yeah this is an instabuy. Just looks utterly stunning and I can't wait to immerse myself.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
And yet I don't think it's going to be included in their Hall of Fame, on account of it being a remake. Persona 5 Royal is the highest-rated game of the year at 95 and is nowhere to be seen in the list.

P5R isn't really a remake as it is a re-release with additional content.

Games like Demons, RE2, or FF7 that remake decades old games on new platforms are a different ball of wax.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's true eh eh eh.. I just don't like the mosquitoes, the rest is amazing, it's so intricate.
I'm absolutely with you. It's the essential Souls level.

I wish it could not be entered as easily via the backdoor though, which pretty much robs players of the proper Blighttown experience (and makes the level even more confusing).

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Outside of Japan yep, Shu hated it lol, funny seeing how much he flipped by Bloodborne and how he really regretted how they handled it. It's a small miracle it wasn't cancelled reading about it, seems the main reason it wasn't was they just didn't care enough to actually cancel it.

Imagine a timeline where it does get canceled and From Software shut down and we never get all the games after Demon's Souls, either. Atlus really did themselves (financially) and the industry a big favour publishing it on PS3 in NA and Namco for EU regions.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I arent surprised. Bluepoint are peerless at what they do, I played through their SotC remake the other day and its absolutely phenomenal work. Not to say its perfect, I agree on Wanders face looking off, they lost the stoism and determination in his expression but that's literally the only nitpick I can think of and that's kind of insane. Nothing is perfect, and yet it very nearly is.

Still can't get my head around them doing Demon's souls. Not long ago it was a pipedream, now its here and its amazing and I can play it next week.

Fuck.

Mar 11, 2019
Their ass unfortunately. It's an old rumour.

Seems they were hinting at two remakes already back in 2019. It could also be that they were partly trolling with games that are often being requested. From the tweet you can make up games like:
Demon Souls
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Syphon Filter
Ico
Resistance
Twisted Metal
Legend of Dragoon

So if anything of the tweet is actually true, and demon souls was one of them, a second remake will follow after demon souls. And a decisions of the actual game has not been made yet but possibly one of the above.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching a few streams, and I really want to play this game now. It will be a long time before I get a PS5, but this will still be one of the first games i get. Really wanting to play it but I know there will be a long wait, lol

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely with you. It's the essential Souls level.

I wish it could not be entered as easily via the backdoor though, which pretty much robs players of the proper Blighttown experience (and makes the level even more confusing).
Indeed. Going through the proper entrance makes it a great experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not a Souls guy at all here, played the original and sucked at it back when it was new, but... 92+ seems very well deserved for this remake. It looks like a fantastic effort.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Well deserved. I'm about 5 hours in and it's incredibly well done. Combat feels strong, and the atmosphere is on another level. Easily the best dragons I've seen/heard in a game too.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Millenium 9/10
Demon's Souls was eagerly awaited for this PlayStation 5 launch and we are not disappointed, as the game has clearly already established itself as a major title in the PlayStation catalog. This next-gen version takes up all the basics of its first release and revisits the graphics and the optimization without adding new content. It is a stunning remake. We quickly forgot the somewhat rigid mechanics of the genre and let ourselves be carried away by the adventure. The Bluepoint teams have simply brought back to life a masterpiece that didn't have the success it deserved a decade ago.
fr.millenium.gg

Test Demon's Souls PS5

Le père de la série des Souls, à savoir Demon's Souls, revient après plus de 10 ans dans une version remake sur Playstation 5. Les équipes de Bluepoint nous proposent une nouvelle plongée dans un enfer peuplé de démons, de difficulté et de nostalgie. La magie opère-t-elle encore en 2020 ?

Nov 4, 2017
Well, there's my first PS5 game decided. BB is my GOAT and I quite like Dark Souls. Good to see Sony starting a new generation strong.

P5R isn't really a remake as it is a re-release with additional content.

Games like Demons, RE2, or FF7 that remake decades old games on new platforms are a different ball of wax.
I've never heard that expression before, I like it. I can finally give "whole new kettle of fish" a rest :D

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Amazing how quickly it comes back to watch the enemies around rolling in 4-1.

it was a different time

now-a-days we all know we have a skeleton living inside each of us and we embrace that fact
The skeleton is dead inside us, shoved around by a cage of pulsing flesh and hair and fabric.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Quirks aside, Bluepoint's remake is an unmitigated success. It is a technical tour de force and a true showpiece for the PS5 and the power of Sony's next-generation console. But, more importantly, it's also a creative marvel coming from a studio that is clearly showing the world it has its own voice. Bluepoint has taken From Software's original game and expressed it in a richer and fuller way, and in doing so given me something I thought was impossible: the opportunity to relive the experience of falling in love with Souls games for the first time.
www.gamespot.com

Demon's Souls Review: Shield Up

Bluepoint delivers a Demon's Souls remake that is as much its own as it is From Software's, and it shows off the power of the PS5 with it.
9/10

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Really worried about getting this game. My dumb brain will replace my homework and final papers with this.

SSJLuffy

Oct 28, 2017
If you have the time it might be worth it to play in release order and then wrap around and play the remake. That's the kind of thing that I'd really enjoy, but wouldn't be for everyone. Otherwise, playing the remake first would be fine.
I'd also recommend checking out Shadow of the Colossus via the PS3 remaster before the remake. If you have the time, play Ico first as well.
I definitely have enough time, it would just take me forever so I was wondering if the OG Demon's Souls is still worth playing. Luckily I already own it (ugh, I have a massive backlog) and my PS3 is still hooked up.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Video review from Game Informer. Gamespot haven't uploaded theirs yet. Looks absolutely incredible.

One negative though, when your character is in soul mode or whatever that blue aura is, you can't appreciate the character model as much. Hopefully it's not like that most of the game, as I want to be able to properly appreciate that glorious armour detail.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
A part of me admires that Bluepoint stayed so true to the original in most respects, but I do wish they would've just said fuck it and attempted their own content with the sixth arch stone. Seems like such a missed opportunity, but I understand why they didn't.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
www.polygon.com

Demon’s Souls on PS5 is a classic reborn

The PlayStation 5 remake of FromSoftware’s RPG is an improvement in almost every way
PlayStation 5 owners are getting something unprecedented: one of the best video games of all time transformed into one of the best-looking games ever.
Oh wow that's a quote worth quoting again.
GOTY? Yup, GOTY.
And now I'm so regretting not doing more attempt to get a PS5 preorder in. Can't go into stores now either because of covid. (Not that I would ever find one on a shelf).

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Difficulty is what most Soulsborne fans expect and want, though. It's part of the product's value to many players, and it's usually marketed as such.

To me saying that a Souls game being hard is a con is comparable to saying that a horror movie being scary is a con.

It's more of a warning to general gaming audiences. Admittedly, most of the Ars Technica readership probably understands the idea behind Souls games, but a more casual gamer might see the review and appreciate the mention of the difficulty.