• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume they're talking about how you deal with it in levels like Blight Town(Shrine of Storms, Valley of Defilement, etc... In this case) and such.
Yeah i later thought about that, but it has to do more with transversal than platforming and it seems like a ridiculous thing to point out on a souls game. I never played Demon's Souls but i love Dark Souls and Blightown is my favourite area, it is really well designed, but platforming never crossed my mind.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You are not wrong. It is a good game.

"Since the game doesn't lean on ray-tracing technologies" - from my ACV review.

Also, one is a console and generational exclusive, one isn't. Plus, the phrase "if checking those boxes matters to you" is there because some Ars readers care about ray tracing, some don't. I don't write good/bad/ugly summaries to be forum-pasted with zero context. That section is an Ars standard used for great and lousy games alike (instead of numerical scores), and if "the bad" isn't bad to you, then that is NOT an accident. The review itself says as much.

You will write it often when Unreal Engine 5 games will begin to release, the engine use fully realtime GI like Demon's souls without raytracing too.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
You will write it often when Unreal Engine 5 games will begin to release, the engine use fully realtime GI like Demon's souls without raytracing too.

Yeah, the GI system in Demon's Souls is so freaking striking, and we'll be talking about that versus RT as more games pick-and-choose what tech they move forward with, whether on console, Nvidia PC GPUs, or AMD PC GPUs. Demon's Souls' implementation can't be expressed appropriately with only screenshots or even YT videos. Having it in your hands completely revitalizes a game that revolves around a "grim-gray" aesthetic without resorting to artificial color-pumping, and if you just look at screens of this game, you'll think, "ugh, it's so drab." But it's not.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Yeah, the GI system in Demon's Souls is so freaking striking, and we'll be talking about that versus RT as more games pick-and-choose what tech they move forward with, whether on console, Nvidia PC GPUs, or AMD PC GPUs. Demon's Souls' implementation can't be expressed appropriately with only screenshots or even YT videos. Having it in your hands completely revitalizes a game that revolves around a "grim-gray" aesthetic without resorting to artificial color-pumping, and if you just look at screens of this game, you'll think, "ugh, it's so drab." But it's not.

I couldn't preorder the consoles, it was sold out. I think I will have in 2021. I hope as soon as possible. a long wait. The first game I want to try.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
92 on Metacritic and 94 on OpenCritic so far. Damn.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
94 on Opencritic so far

QDYem2G.png

Umbasa

Sep 17, 2020
Mentioning there is no ray tracing is fine but considering it a con seems a stretch, i haven't seen a more useless piece of eye candy (doesn't even deserve that name!) in a while. Even a minor resolution increase like 900p to 1080p yields better results imo, don't really get the appeal of RT. Not only did Spider Man not sell me on it (quite the opposite), i've looked up SS of PC games and some actually look better with RT off.

Use the power for other stuff.

thefryguy

Apr 8, 2019
Mentioning there is no ray tracing is fine but considering it a con seems a stretch, i haven't seen a more useless piece of eye candy (doesn't even deserve that name!) in a while. Even a minor resolution increase like 900p to 1080p yields better results imo, don't really get the appeal of RT. Not only did Spider Man not sell me on it (quite the opposite), i've looked up SS of PC games and some actually look better with RT off.

I feel the same. Performance with the sacrifice to reflective lights? I'll take that any day. The game looks beautiful as it is. There's some odd choices that were changed from the original. Mainly the HUD for me. But it's extremely faithful to the original

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Damn crazy that the best next-gen launch game is a faithful adaption of a decade old PS3 exclusive. I know there's haptic feedback and better graphics and a smoother frame rate, but end of the day big selling point is that it's still Demon's Souls and not some modern action game with a Demon's Souls coat of paint. Goes to show that good game design ages like wine.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Damn crazy that the best next-gen launch game is a faithful adaption of a decade old PS3 exclusive. I know there's haptic feedback and better graphics and a smoother frame rate, but end of the day big selling point is that it's still Demon's Souls and not some modern action game with a Demon's Souls coat of paint. Goes to show that good game design ages like wine.

Yes and the best Demon's souls is probably the soul's games with the lowest sales. For many people it will be the first time with the game like me.

Deleted member 29909

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can see TGA now: Miyazaki (last year's winner) presenting BluePoint (this year's winner) with the GotY award...followed by an ER gameplay trailer.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Looking at these reviews, Sony will certainly want to take Bluepoint in-house.

Not only is it graphically stunning but performance seems to be absolutely rock solid (granted that's easier for a non-open world game with few npcs).

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And yet I don't think it's going to be included in their Hall of Fame, on account of it being a remake. Persona 5 Royal is the highest-rated game of the year at 95 and is nowhere to be seen in the list.
They don't put re-releases and new editions. RERemake 2 was on the list. It'll be there. As was SoC Remake.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you buy a Souls like game if you don't want a challenge tho? Its like buying a Mario game when you don't like Mario.
I think it applies more to the first Dark Souls, and perhaps Bloodborne, but many people like the Souls games for their world/environmental design and lore rather than only playing them for the challenge.
Some people clearly seem to think the games' only merit is their difficulty though, as seen by the sheer vitriol from posters here any time someone suggests that they might like an easier difficulty setting or accessibility options added to the games to make them easier.

They are knocking it for being a hub-based game and not for being open-world. That to be is like knocking The Last of Us because it isn't Assassins Creed. It's a silly thing to say.
Considering that every "souls" game since has had an open-world design rather than a level-based one, I don't think it's an unfair complaint. A lot of people aren't going to like the way Demon's Souls is structured compared to what came after it.
It's part of the reason why I never quite got the burning desire for a Demon's Souls remake, other than the fact it was the one game many people missed due to it being stuck on PS3.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, those are great scores. I've never given the Souls series a fair try, I think this might be perfect for me to pickup early next year.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Playstations best launch man, I'm having a blast.

This is up there with Mario 64. Only reason I give N64 the edge is because it was the first game that did 3D controls like that on console. If the souls genre was born today with this game, it would be equal to Mario 64 launch. It's sooo good and has a huge impact on the industry. Can't wait to see From's take on open world design.

IMO the ultimate open world game is taking the free form approach of go anywhere ala BOtW, but giving the player tools and cool animations to travel like Death Stranding. Combat is of course souls like...and has the production values and acting of Sony's first party titles.

It's my dream game, although I don't think anyone will do it lol

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I realize this is only a remake, but still pretty damn impressive if Sony winds up with its first 90(+) Meta game of the gen - at launch. Not wasting any time.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
It still blows my mind that a cult classic PS3 game from 2009 has been turned into THE tentpole showpiece launch title for the PS5 in 2020. It's like fan fiction come true and I absolutely love it.

Thank you Sony. Thank you Bluepoint. :)

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It still blows my mind that a cult classic PS3 game from 2009 has been turned into THE tentpole showpiece launch title for the PS5 in 2020. It's like fan fiction come true and I absolutely love it.

Thank you Sony. Thank you Bluepoint. :)
Yep, it's especially amazing when reading about Demon's Souls development and how it was basically considered a waste of resources that was going nowhere. Imagine being someone on that development team and then seeing it now. Must be so surreal.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I believe a Sony exec turned down publishing it if I remember correctly.
Outside of Japan yep, Shu hated it lol, funny seeing how much he flipped by Bloodborne and how he really regretted how they handled it. It's a small miracle it wasn't cancelled reading about it, seems the main reason it wasn't was they just didn't care enough to actually cancel it.

Res

Oct 25, 2017

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota

Online videos and screen shots don't show ray-tracing well. You actually have to play the game. Also ray-tracing goes well beyond reflective windows. It's also light in general, even sound. The reason you don't see hard gains in a screenshot or a compressed video is because for years devs had to bake those lights in to the environment. Now they can do all that pretty much on the press of a button.

So yes, RT is a game-changer for video games. Though consoles will have to sacrifice performance to use it until probably next gen.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I believe a Sony exec turned down publishing it if I remember correctly.
At that particular time, Shuhei played an old build of the game that was indeed horrible. FROM was further along with the game and Atlus picked up publishing it in the end.
It's funny because he even platinumed Bloodborne lol
Before Bloodborne, Demon's Souls was his favorite game. He didn't dislike the game in the end.
How when they backed the game in the first place and still retained the ip!? And he's the main reason we even got a Bloodborne.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Starting the generation with an exclusive killer app? Something that doesn't happen too often.

We will see an awful lot of remakes this gen, won't we?

Honestly not a fan of this trend, but great for everyone who wants to reexperience these games or plays them for the first time.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cannot wait to return to this world. It's still my favourite actual souls game.

P.S. I'll never understand why a review site would opt for a 0-5 scale with .5 increments....just go 0-10 like a normal person. Lol