• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Screenshot!

DemonsSouls_MinorSection1v3_900x507
You have a source of the pic?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are legit the only person I know who thinks dark souls looks hideous. I get if you may not like the art direction since everyone is different, but the game ain't hideous
dark souls looks fucking disgusting. no amount of art direction can save how fucking ugly that game looks.

now you know two.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
You are legit the only person I know who thinks dark souls looks hideous. I get if you may not like the art direction since everyone is different, but the game ain't hideous
It looks ugly as hell lmao, hell, they all look dated even for the year they released. Either From overhauled their entire engine for Elden Ring or the game is gonna end up looking very mediocre again like the rest of the games. It's a current-gen/cross-gen game though so I'm not expecting much from it either.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I watched that video as well. Hopefully the HUD gets an update. Perhaps thats a hot take for some of y'all, but IMO the HUD needs work considering the FOV change.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After watching this I hope someday Bluepoint remakes Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
My real question is are they going to keep the pure bladestone drop rate the same? I remember farming an eternity and a half just to get that platinum.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
dark souls looks fucking disgusting. no amount of art direction can save how fucking ugly that game looks.

now you know two.
The first game is definitely not a pretty game borderline hideous. Second game has hideous moments and decent moments. Third game is the only one i feel looked good even if it was not really impressive. Bloodborne and sekiro though both looked good.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just finished beating Dark Souls for the first time. A friend helped me through most of it and we really rushed through it, but I loved the experience and look forward to this Demon's Souls remake.

I'm really glad I'm not burdened with the adoration of the original look and get to go in fresh and love the new visuals. I imagine it's how folks felt playing the BluePoint version of Shadow of the Colossus for the first time, whereas I feel a lot like a lot of y'all where I'm unhappy that the game I loved so much looks so... different.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time, and Demon's Souls is my second favorite Souls games after Bloodborne, and I absolutely loved the SOTC Remake, and this Demon's Souls Remake looks phenomenal. The original releases will always hold a special place in my heart (especially SOTC), but I'm not one of those people that feels like the Remakes were somehow a disservice to the original games. Fantastic games, influential for their period in time, and it's not like they ceased to exist because a new version of them was made. Besides, Bluepoint is so good at retaining the spirit and feel of the originals that I just can't find much to complain about with these Remakes. Wander's face aside, SOTC was breathtaking, and just as emotional and grand in scope as the original. I'm assuming that Demon's Souls is going to be just as atmospheric, terrifying, and tense as the original PS3 title. Bluepoints track record gives me little reason for concern.

It's not like this is going to be a Silent Hill HD Collection situation, as I've mentioned before. That was a travesty of a remaster that Konami failed to give the support and resources it deserved. I adore the Silent Hill games, and I was crushed when the HD Collection turned out the way it did. I'd have loved if Bluepoint had been the ones to do it, as there's no doubt they would have brought it to the HD consoles intact.

Here are few quotes from Bluepoint about how they approach remasters and remakes: "Sometimes the reason why we work so hard on these games is because we don't want to fuck it up for ourselves [as gamers]," Thrush says. "Like, we enjoy these games, we would want to see this game done justice. … It hurts me seeing other companies just taking it and basically doing it for the money."

I'm not gonna copy/paste the whole thing, but I very much encourage anyone concerned about Bluepoint's take on Demon's Souls to read this article. It goes into depth about their process, and I found it incredibly insightful: https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/6/...f-video-game-remasters-shadow-of-the-colossus

I know Soulsfans can be...passionate (I mean, I get it, I'm a huge Souls fan as well), but they've literally be working with remasters and remakes for 12 years. It's their bread and butter as a studio.

I just can't see how a From Software game is going to be the game that breaks them somehow. Like, they looked at the game and were like "Fuck, we totally lost all of the skills and experience we've accumulated over 12 years of remastering some of the most beloved games in gaming, time to back it up, boys. From is just too damn incredible for us to do their game justice. It's over." That's just...not how it works. From Software games aren't some special sauce that makes them impossible to remaster or remake. And as much as I adore their Souls games, there are always areas in which they can be improved upon in some way. I'm expecting Demon's Souls to be a pretty faithful Remake, with the obvious graphical improvement, and some technical improvements like a stable framerate and possibly smoother feeling controls as a result, and any improvements the Dual Sense brings to the table in terms of how the analog sticks and buttons feel. The Dual Shock 3 wasn't exactly the best controller, so that alone is going to contribute to the game no doubt feeling pretty good to control.

EDIT: Oh god, I was just thinking the other day how amazing a Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver Remake by Bluepoint would be...

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
It'll take 1/2 eternity less time, thanks to the instant loading

Ha! Yes! That's a great point.

Looking forward to seeing how they handled the other builds and their armor pieces. It will be nice to see fabric/cloth physics. Most importantly how spells are going to look like with all the pretty particles and ray tracing.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
No, kinematics (and inverse kinematics) study the motion of bodies, how rotation of a joint for example can change the trajectory of a ball.

It was introduced in FIFA 19 if I recall correctly.

It makes for a much more convincing interaction with objects, which helps immensely with animation techniques such as motion capture.
Dunno about FIFA, but it's the tech why God of War looked and felt so good and it something I always miss ever since I played God of War.
www.youtube.com

Why Kratos' Axe Feels SO Powerful | Game Mechanics Explained

In God of War (2018) Kratos' Leviathan axe feels like a meaty powerhouse of a weapon. We sat down with director Cory Barlog to delve into why using the axe f...

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
With the SSD that just became much less monotonous.
It's still a really shitty thing to farm. Killing one enemy, then killing yourself, then repeating that over and over still sucks.

Hopefully they'll just add a place in the game world where you can find it. Or better yet, steal Dark 3's upgrade system instead (each weapon can be upgraded from 1 to 10 with the same items and "imbued" with attributes, instead of having half a dozen different upgrade item types and an overly convoluted upgrade tree), and just get rid of the old one.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Visually amazing, but can anyone tell me what's up with the combat. Like he just goes through one hitting EVERYTHING besides like two enemies that take a block and then a one hit? Is the whole game like this? Like dumb AI? Or am I just missing something?

this isn't meant to be hate or a drive by post or anything, legit asking. I only touched PS3 Demons Souls for a few minutes years ago. I have this preordered based on the visuals alone, but just the one hit AI has me confused.

Jan 3, 2019
Visually amazing, but can anyone tell me what's up with the combat. Like he just goes through one hitting EVERYTHING besides like two enemies that take a block and then a one hit? Is the whole game like this? Like dumb AI? Or am I just missing something?

this isn't meant to be hate or a drive by post or anything, legit asking. I only touched PS3 Demons Souls for a few minutes years ago. I have this preordered based on the visuals alone, but just the one hit AI has me confused.
Probably just to make the trailer shorter.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It amazed me how much difference it makes to play game with or without HUD. Like literally, it's immersive and impressive.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized two things.People from the countries that the PS5 releases on the 12th will be playing this for a full week before the rest of us(i am not at all jealous lol) and November 19th is also Cyberpunk 2077 release date.

I have never played two big single player games at the same time but this time maybe i will

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
no word so far, if that world tendency stuff is completely untouched? Because that is really confusing without a long wiki read.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I love how there's volumetric smoke coming from the demon's eyes, reacting to his movements. It's these simulations and details that will make a difference in the coming gen.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Can't fucking wait!!!! This and Spodeman Ultimate Ed are my launch combo. Will see how the 3rd party stuff reviews. So exciting!!!

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Don't you get it? Visuals = graphics. The more technology a game has the better it looks. More polys > Less polys. Having an artstyle? Working with what you have? Having a visual identity? All that shit is for suckers, what really matters is RAYTRACING, HDR and 4K. That's what videogames are all about.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017

Seems more likely for the demo reel they maxed out the character stats so that he is really overpowered. The fact he can run full speed all the time suggests they disabled stamina too. I expect the actual game to be slower paced and harder.

That said, by the time you level up to deal with later levels, the early ones will seem easy. I don't recall enemies levelling with you.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Don't you get it? Visuals = graphics. The more technology a game has the better it looks. More polys > Less polys. Having an artstyle? Working with what you have? Having a visual identity? All that shit is for suckers, what really matters is RAYTRACING, HDR and 4K. That's what videogames are all about.
Demon's Souls Remake absolutely has it's own visual identity.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time, and Demon's Souls is my second favorite Souls games after Bloodborne, and I absolutely loved the SOTC Remake, and this Demon's Souls Remake looks phenomenal. The original releases will always hold a special place in my heart (especially SOTC), but I'm not one of those people that feels like the Remakes were somehow a disservice to the original games. Fantastic games, influential for their period in time, and it's not like they ceased to exist because a new version of them was made. Besides, Bluepoint is so good at retaining the spirit and feel of the originals that I just can't find much to complain about with these Remakes. Wander's face aside, SOTC was breathtaking, and just as emotional and grand in scope as the original. I'm assuming that Demon's Souls is going to be just as atmospheric, terrifying, and tense as the original PS3 title. Bluepoints track record gives me little reason for concern.

It's not like this is going to be a Silent Hill HD Collection situation, as I've mentioned before. That was a travesty of a remaster that Konami failed to give the support and resources it deserved. I adore the Silent Hill games, and I was crushed when the HD Collection turned out the way it did. I'd have loved if Bluepoint had been the ones to do it, as there's no doubt they would have brought it to the HD consoles intact.

Here are few quotes from Bluepoint about how they approach remasters and remakes: "Sometimes the reason why we work so hard on these games is because we don't want to fuck it up for ourselves [as gamers]," Thrush says. "Like, we enjoy these games, we would want to see this game done justice. … It hurts me seeing other companies just taking it and basically doing it for the money."

I'm not gonna copy/paste the whole thing, but I very much encourage anyone concerned about Bluepoint's take on Demon's Souls to read this article. It goes into depth about their process, and I found it incredibly insightful: https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/6/...f-video-game-remasters-shadow-of-the-colossus

I know Soulsfans can be...passionate (I mean, I get it, I'm a huge Souls fan as well), but they've literally be working with remasters and remakes for 12 years. It's their bread and butter as a studio.

I just can't see how a From Software game is going to be the game that breaks them somehow. Like, they looked at the game and were like "Fuck, we totally lost all of the skills and experience we've accumulated over 12 years of remastering some of the most beloved games in gaming, time to back it up, boys. From is just too damn incredible for us to do their game justice. It's over." That's just...not how it works. From Software games aren't some special sauce that makes them impossible to remaster or remake. And as much as I adore their Souls games, there are always areas in which they can be improved upon in some way. I'm expecting Demon's Souls to be a pretty faithful Remake, with the obvious graphical improvement, and some technical improvements like a stable framerate and possibly smoother feeling controls as a result, and any improvements the Dual Sense brings to the table in terms of how the analog sticks and buttons feel. The Dual Shock 3 wasn't exactly the best controller, so that alone is going to contribute to the game no doubt feeling pretty good to control.

EDIT: Oh god, I was just thinking the other day how amazing a Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver Remake by Bluepoint would be...
TLDR?